Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some patent bullshit involved

because samsung totally respsects patents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

if that was the case then how come all the other samsung notes dont have this problem?

too busy exploding

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

i believe so yeah, south korea is certainly more on the us side than on the chinese anarchy side when it comes to ip

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

clockworx posted:

If you're looking for a decent 7" tablet and aren't running anything too taxing, I still think the Nook HD is a fantastic value. They're like $20-30 used, have a great screen (1440x900 IPS) and come with the play store. If you're so inclined, there's CM and AOSP versions up Nougat that are trivial to flash, and the hardware makes it pretty much impossible to brick.

Cons are a custom charging cable, and the Nook can be a bit picky about chargers (it doesn't like Apple and some generics, but seems fine with most Android chargers and all PC USB ports).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

yeah what kind of idiot buys a barnes & noble product

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it's they year 2017 and people are still using devices with sub-1080p screens :barf:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Google is awesome, all week my Chromecast has been breaking on YouTube, Netflix, and Google Music:

Sometimes it does it in Japanese too.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

probably everyone had been sitting on changes that they couldnt push during the holidays and then they all got released this week

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Google is awesome, all week my Chromecast has been breaking on YouTube, Netflix, and Google Music:

Sometimes it does it in Japanese too.

Works on my machine. You're holding it wrong.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i think that what google or whoever should do is make a good telephone and then charge like 150 bucks for it so you get a bigtime bargain and feel like a smart shopper

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nokia is making anroid phone now. Mid-tier for like $200-250 or summat.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Google is apparently abandoning Hangouts? I thought that was their messaging application of the future and the messaging app on Android, and that they replaced whatever that chat on gmail was with it? Lmao

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

An droid, a Phone, and an Internet Communicator

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Citizen Tayne posted:

Google is apparently abandoning

yes

whatever the next word is the answer is probably yes

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

Dad, to me as a young boy: "don't let your google Hangout!"

i never said those words

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google's official stance is that allo is their consumer messenger and hangouts is allo for business, except that no one uses allo because it can only be used on a single device per account and only mobile devices, at that

Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

google's official stance is that allo is their consumer messenger and hangouts is allo for business, except that no one uses allo because it can only be used on a single device per account and only mobile devices, at that

lol wasn't Hangouts what they replaced the SMS app with for messaging a few years ago?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

will google figure out how to "chat" "online" in 2017???

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

whatsapp is the official messaging service of the planet and google is right to stop pissing into the wind on this one

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol wasn't Hangouts what they replaced the SMS app with for messaging a few years ago?
yes and it was their all-in-one messenger that replaced google chat too

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

Google is apparently abandoning Hangouts? I thought that was their messaging application of the future and the messaging app on Android, and that they replaced whatever that chat on gmail was with it? Lmao
they're ending "hangouts-on-air" which is some google+ streaming thing

hangouts is being re-marketed for primarialy business use, and they still want people to use allo for person to person

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

kinda? they let people use hangouts as their default sms app and was supposed to put sms and hangouts messages in the same thread but then they got rid of that functionality. whatever sms app a phone shipped with was set as default, though. they ALSO put out a separate sms app that only does sms. the pixel phones do not ship with hangouts

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yeah i am going to use some program that can only sign in one device and mobile devices at that can google just stop being loving retarded its like apple and google are on a race to figure out who can be more stupid.

Apr 7, 2003

Fuckin lol, what a horrible user experience

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Endless Mike posted:

kinda? they let people use hangouts as their default sms app and was supposed to put sms and hangouts messages in the same thread but then they got rid of that functionality. whatever sms app a phone shipped with was set as default, though. they ALSO put out a separate sms app that only does sms. the pixel phones do not ship with hangouts

Yes, they added sms to hangouts and removed the text message application from androids then re-added it and now fragmented their chat services in 2000 applications

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i use the short message service to send short messages

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Citizen Tayne posted:

no no its their new corporate tp technology so theyre just ruining everything it was good for so it matches the marketplace

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

the pixel phones do not ship with hangouts

not exactly true they ship with hangouts deactivated but installed

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't even have a Netflix subscription.

same

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't even have a Netflix subscription.

e: they've updated their portal so now it looks like this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

not exactly true they ship with hangouts deactivated but installed

ya i immediately turned hangouts on and proceeded to use my phone as i always have. hopefully they don't go so far as to yank it away completely.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bhodi posted:

they're ending "hangouts-on-air" which is some google+ streaming thing

hangouts is being re-marketed for primarialy business use, and they still want people to use allo for person to person

suggesting your company depend on google products in any meaningful way should be grounds for immediate firing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anthonypants posted:

e: they've updated their portal so now it looks like this

hot take: disc netflix is better now than it's ever been* because streaming services are almost entirely focused on tv and blurays are way more durable and less prone to skipping than dvds

*except they don't do saturday processing anymore

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

spankmeister posted:

Nokia is making anroid phone now. Mid-tier for like $200-250 or summat.

i spent $100 on a new phone 5s and feel like i overpaid by about $80, so any phone that isn't at least as good as an iphone 5s should cost no more than $20

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

hot take: disc netflix is better now than it's ever been* because streaming services are almost entirely focused on tv and blurays are way more durable and less prone to skipping than dvds

*except they don't do saturday processing anymore

My ex's dad loved to make copies of his Netflix discs before sending them back. Fucker had 5000+ copies in 2009.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

so oneplus said they would for sure have an update to android 7.0 out before the end of last year. they did this by launching a beta in the morning then launching the "release" the afternoon of them same day. looks like it's working out:

quote:

If you still experience mobile data issues caused by APN, please go to APN settings page and manually choose try all the options. In the case that mobile data is still unusable, please send me a pm along with affected career and device model.
WiFi connectivity might still fluctuate, if you experience this issue, please send me a pm.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

so oneplus said they would for sure have an update to android 7.0 out before the end of last year. they did this by launching a beta in the morning then launching the "release" the afternoon of them same day. looks like it's working out:
oneplus is that discount android phone, right

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's the company that you had to get a referral code to buy, and they offered codes to women who sent pics of their boobs. they used to run cyanogenmod, but eventually switched to their own version of android so they can better send all your data to china. though they've hosed that now apparently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

• Locked thread