Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

AttackBacon posted:

[*]Finally and most importantly, the crab slam. They rear wayyyy up and then slam down with both claws. During the entire animation they are in a riposte state and you can simply hit R1 and get a free riposte, attacking their weak point for massive damage. Fishing for that riposte move while avoiding the grab is basically all you need to do. [/list]

holy poo poo i never knew that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
On the subject of blue sentinels. Sometimes the icon next to my health bar is a grey disc with a sword, sometimes it's that with orange branch looking things over it. Any idea what that means if anything?

e: vvv Thank you!

hanales fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 9, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

hanales posted:

On the subject of blue sentinels. Sometimes the icon next to my health bar is a grey disc with a sword, sometimes it's that with orange branch looking things over it. Any idea what that means if anything?

You're hollowed and have used an ember.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wish there was a mode so that you were always open to multiplayer. As in people could always cooperate or invade you without you being embered.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

Is this glitch able to call you in even after the host has already walked through the fog gate?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I'm pretty sure you can still only invade before the host fights the boss. You can invade right as they pass through the fog gate but that's normal for DS3. You can't invade a world where the host has been fighting the boss already. You just won't get booted out when they pass through fog.

Also the glitch doesn't require the darksign; it also works with a homeward bone or bonfire fragment.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

I think they are implemented poorly becauseof how the game matches people for co-op/pvp. Addionally, no blue eye orb which is a big :wtf: FROM. This game really needs its own dedicated servers for multiplayer.

It does. Dark Souls is the only game that use P2P for matching people up, all the other games have a server that manages that, as far as I understand. They all use P2P once you're actually connected, though.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Hunt11 posted:

I wish there was a mode so that you were always open to multiplayer. As in people could always cooperate or invade you without you being embered.

Yeah I wish fingers would do that.

Genocyber posted:

It does. Dark Souls is the only game that use P2P for matching people up, all the other games have a server that manages that, as far as I understand. They all use P2P once you're actually connected, though.

I can see why people get turned off from PVP because of it too. When it looks like your enemy can hit you from 5 meters away with a dagger while you continually miss with your greatsword from half a meter away you're not going to enjoy that pvp.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah I wish fingers would do that.

I can see why people get turned off from PVP because of it too. When it looks like your enemy can hit you from 5 meters away with a dagger while you continually miss with your greatsword from half a meter away you're not going to enjoy that pvp.

It depends entirely on your connection. I rarely run into bad lag, for example; absolute worst is weapons being a bit longer than they really ought to be when against people from like Russia or China, but even then not that bad. Some have it worse, of course.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I like to summon Holy Knight Hodrick and drag him over to the crabs. He's an rear end in a top hat to fight one-on-one, and he hits pretty hard. He can usually manage one crab, but when two swarm him he gets wrecked. Either way, two birds one stone.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Genocyber posted:

The series is more popular than ever. I have to imagine the only reason they haven't done this yet is because multiplayer is truly an afterthought by the devs. That's why covenants always seem so incomplete.

I mean there's servers for world tendency in demon's souls!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Works Fine in Japan.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

The series is more popular than ever. I have to imagine the only reason they haven't done this yet is because multiplayer is truly an afterthought by the devs. That's why covenants always seem so incomplete.

I mean there's servers for world tendency in demon's souls!

I don't have any first hand knowledge of how matchmaking works, but other people smarter than me (e.g. the guy who made PVP Watchdog for DS1) have said it's because that's not really feasible, with the sheer number of unique multiplayer instances servers would have to host at one time.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Genocyber posted:

It depends entirely on your connection. I rarely run into bad lag, for example; absolute worst is weapons being a bit longer than they really ought to be when against people from like Russia or China, but even then not that bad. Some have it worse, of course.

I think there's more to it because I have 50d/10u mbs consistently and have no issues with other online games. I would guess lovely multiplayer code and a lovely method of multiplayer interaction is the culprit.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

lots of folks posted:

CRAB BATTLE

Thanks for the tips! Special mention to the Irithyll Straight Sword, and the info on how/when they can be riposted. Since there seemed to be some uncertainty, I can confirm that one of them (closer to the side where you enter the Woods, and closer to the Black Knight's little alcove) drops the Great Swamp Ring, which boosts pyromancies.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For clarity, the only crabs with interesting unique drops are the ones in Road of Sacrifices (one of the two drops Great Swamp Ring) and Farron Keep (Lingering Dragoncrest Ring). This has already been said in the thread of course, just wanted to clarify that it's an exhaustive list of interesting crab drops.

The Smouldering Lake crabs only drop titanite (and maybe the rare large titanite?), and you might able to get some dubiously-interesting (read: not Refined and therefore relatively boring) gem from the DLC crabs maybe, but nothing unique. As such, feel free to avoid all of those if you like.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thanks for the tips! Special mention to the Irithyll Straight Sword
For whatever reason there are very few enemies in the game that won't get killed by damage before a frostbite weapon will trigger or aren't immune to it, to the point you wonder why it's even in the game, but the crabs seem to be incredibly weak to it.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I wonder if they messed around with an actual slowing effect before deciding it was completely overpowered and just went with the current mechanics.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I made a sorcerer and played through the entire game using that frosty wind spell and can confirm that frost doesn't proc on many foes. Humanoid ones or beasts is usually a good bet. It doesn't seem to do much HP dmg. I'm guessing it's more for PvP.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

I made a sorcerer and played through the entire game using that frosty wind spell and can confirm that frost doesn't proc on many foes. Humanoid ones or beasts is usually a good bet. It doesn't seem to do much HP dmg. I'm guessing it's more for PvP.

It is and its a great area denial tool. You can also use it to obscure what you're doing and surprise opponents with long cast spells if you get good with it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
IIRC the two crabs that drop anything good are in areas where you get Good Friend No Hit artillery support. The real reason you should take the White Branch as your burial gift.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Wait, does the White Branch burial gift make the giant friendly without having to talk to him?

Because the white branch you actually get from the giant has a different item description than all the other white branches.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Annath posted:

Wait, does the White Branch burial gift make the giant friendly without having to talk to him?

Because the white branch you actually get from the giant has a different item description than all the other white branches.

The starting gift one has a third description.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah i picked that one as a "well this looks mysterious and is probably going to be useful in a few dozen hours" gift on my first blind playthrough and only discovered that that giant can actually hit/hurt you way later when i jumped into some friends game. That was a fun lesson to learn.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love Hodrick, because the whole concept of purple phantoms is that sometimes they help you and sometimes they're out to kill you and the only way to know is to summon them. But he just starts going to frickin town on you the moment he pops into your world, every time.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Bogart posted:

IIRC the two crabs that drop anything good are in areas where you get Good Friend No Hit artillery support. The real reason you should take the White Branch as your burial gift.

No there's no artillery support in crucifixion Woods. You gotta kill that one on your own

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I love Hodrick, because the whole concept of purple phantoms is that sometimes they help you and sometimes they're out to kill you and the only way to know is to summon them. But he just starts going to frickin town on you the moment he pops into your world, every time.

Can you get Vertebrae Shackles without killing the host somehow? I have no idea how Mound Makers work.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

AngryBooch posted:

Can you get Vertebrae Shackles without killing the host somehow? I have no idea how Mound Makers work.

You just need to kill the host OR a certain amount of phantoms, usually one. Makers don't care who they kill, as long as they kill.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Bogart posted:

You just need to kill the host OR a certain amount of phantoms, usually one. Makers don't care who they kill, as long as they kill.

NPC phantoms don't count either :getin:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Progressing well on this now, I have the twin Drang Hammers, and am Samba Di Amigoing everything in sight. These seem to stagger enemies really well, see how YOU like it, Cathedral Knight pricks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Any strike weapon (2 handing it if it's a hammer, not greathammer) will stagger cathedral knight, you can get them to bleed with the morning star and carthus rouge and deal shitloads of damage.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Guillermus posted:

Any strike weapon (2 handing it if it's a hammer, not greathammer) will stagger cathedral knight, you can get them to bleed with the morning star and carthus rouge and deal shitloads of damage.

Yes, but I have TWO hammers, even better!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Even just farting around at 104 with the witch locks I just destroy people if I land a fireball on them. Also a lot of people don't know how to deal with a kiting weapon.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Even just farting around at 104 with the witch locks I just destroy people if I land a fireball on them. Also a lot of people don't know how to deal with a kiting weapon.

It helps that the hitbox is huge during attacks, and really hard to recognize visually. It's hard to know where the attack starts or ends on different attacks, and especially during the Weapon Art.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Is it possible to trade items between ng and ng+ characters in ds3?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Yeah you should be fine..Set a password though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Is it possible to trade items between ng and ng+ characters in ds3?

You can if you get someone else to help. I.e. trade from one character to their character and then from their character to your other character. Easier than most of the other games since the password feature lets you match regardless of level. Note that if you want to transfer weapons then they need to be unupgraded; if they're higher leveled than what you've acquired naturally then you won't be able to see them if someone else drops them.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

CJacobs posted:

When I finger myself in the woods I summon Hodrick to help with invaders. He just goes after whoevers closest like a true purple (not like those wannabes invading in pontiff that "join" "teams"). He takes a ton of hits but his flamberge wipes out everything and is completely oblivious to sticking to one target, so he usually lasts longer than anyone else. Hodrick + crabs are way better than summoning players. Blue auto summons don't count because they're basically free kills for an invader (and for hodrick, how did you not learn how to dodge his move set from undead settlement??).

Most stressful is trying to keep the two outside the swamp ladder alive for extra (seeded) distractions, wish they took a few more hits before going down (or if they respawned).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IS there any news on the next DLC release date?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

oldpainless posted:

IS there any news on the next DLC release date?

Hopefully it has more than 2 bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Genocyber posted:

You can if you get someone else to help. I.e. trade from one character to their character and then from their character to your other character. Easier than most of the other games since the password feature lets you match regardless of level. Note that if you want to transfer weapons then they need to be unupgraded; if they're higher leveled than what you've acquired naturally then you won't be able to see them if someone else drops them.

Should be noted this seems not to be the case for rings.