Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
GWM/BWM depending on which side of the register you are on: Pottery Barn Outlet leaves the retail barcode on their rugs as well as the outlet barcode. They both happily ring up as I found out today. They also stock a lot of overstock at 0% discount all with the same "All Sales Final" return policy. This is the same stuff you can get in the retail store with things like free home delivery, a quality guarantee, and a return policy.

(Rug rang up as $849 instead of $289.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Haha that's an outrageous scam for them to be trying to pull, but this is already a company who sells Chinese flat-pack at a 400% mark-up, so I don't know what you'd expect.

Honestly, we just bought some new furniture and since we couldn't do Ikea this go round went with Zinus off Amazon - loving incredible. Don't know how these small "discount" furniture places stay in business, honestly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Wall Street Journal had an article about how the recent stock boom was mostly accrued by the top 10% of earners and lots of people missed out.

One of the people they profiled was a 48-year Logistics Coordinator for a Shipping Company. He makes 60k a year and has worked at the company for 13 years. His company matches 401k up to 6% of salary. He has contributed $0 over his career because "he has concerns about losing his money if he ever left his job." He also has no IRA, his company does not offer a pension, but he has his retirement savings in $28k worth of CDs and hopes to collect social security early.

:negative:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Empress Brosephine posted:

I don't even know how that is possible if you want to own some kind of reliable car.

It's mind boggling to me when you see poor people with brand new trucks also; those things are atleast $500 a month and there's no way they're making THAT much.
The answer is lots, and lots of truck loans. Here in Canada we're seeing what happens when the economy craps itself and poor people with big truck loans lose their jobs: lots of truck loan defaults.

A lot of rig pigs get their first paycheque, then go straight to the Ford dealership to buy their lifted F150. And even though many of them were earning good money, their level of spending went up along with it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Money laundering is BWM

quote:

So I work for a company that grows and sells recreational and medical marijuana in a legal state. Anyways, I was recently brought into the "higher up's circle" in the company. Apparently all the managers do this favor for the boss that I was also asked to do... ...however something seems off about it.

I was paid (we all are paid) $500 to deposit a large amount of cash (no more than $9,900) into our own accounts and then immediately wire it along with the contents of our own accounts to another account that I believe is one of my boss's other businesses. We are always reimbursed the money that was ours via a check. He has us do these 1-2 times a week. For a while there I didn't realize I was doing anything wrong until a banker asked me some questions. When I answered honestly the banker told me what I was doing was probably illegal and that if I ever tell another banker that I am depositing a businesses money into my account then wiring it - my account would get shut down..... Well without me telling anyone else, a few more wires later, my bank was shut down for suspicious activity. I was told I could never bank with this specific banking entity EVER AGAIN in my lifetime....WTF. I have since stopped sending wires. The money was great... and even though I have confronted the owner I still cant get any answer about the legality of what was/is happening. I would do it again if I knew it wouldn't come back on me. However, it doesn't feel right. The others continue to do it. What should I do?

I especially like the bold part where the boss also has them wire their own money too so it doesn't look quite as suspicious.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Money laundering is BWM

I especially like the bold part where the boss also has them wire their own money too so it doesn't look quite as suspicious.

Weed shops have a hard time finding banks that will do business with them. There just isn't enough benefit to justify the risk of accepting their deposits except maybe for small credit unions. So he could have been laundering legally obtained store revenue. Possibly.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Huh everything points to this being a bad idea, but I'm just going to keep doing it

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's still illegal even if the money is "legal"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zero One posted:

It's still illegal even if the money is "legal"

Actually, the DOJ under Obama released a bunch of banking regulations to allow legal dispensaries to bank. It takes some effort, but this guy's boss could definitely do it if they are in CO or WA.

If they are doing business with a bank or CU in a single state, then it is even easier.

Depositing and wiring the money in that amount and that many times is going to set off a million red flags at a bank though. It is just below the mandatory 10k disclosure level and telling the banker that it was from a business, even a totally legal business, is going to scream tax evasion. He's lucky the money wasn't going to a foreign bank or the IRS and Secret Service would be all over his rear end.

His boss is either really small time and really dumb or doing something illegally / under the radar that would be given up if he submitted docs to the banks and DOJ for approval. This would be super dumb and illegal if they sold bread, but the adding in the awkwardness of federal drug laws makes this super duper dumb.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Structuring (avoiding the scrunity for transactions above 10K in value by sending smaller amounts) is definitely illegal.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys reccomend getting a membership to something like BJ's or Costco if you're being tight with money just to get those extra savings or is it just better to go to the supermarket if it's still relatively cheap?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Do you guys reccomend getting a membership to something like BJ's or Costco if you're being tight with money just to get those extra savings or is it just better to go to the supermarket if it's still relatively cheap?
Have you sat down and done a rough calculation of how much you will save if you sign up with Costco? For Australia, it's $60 per year. If I had a big family, I think I can easily cover that cost + more than that in long life products per year.

If you're a single/couple, it may not be worth it or too much of a hassle.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

he has his retirement savings in $28k worth of CDs

You should put a warning tag up if you're going to post stuff as horrible as that.

I drink plenty of wine and can vouch for the CostCo alcohol prices being good. Their overall prices range from competitive to cheap in my experience, but it's not like you're missing out on big savings if you shop sensibly elsewhere. It seems best for big families with a chest freezer in the garage.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I think CostCo ends up being a net money sink for us but it's a lot of fun so who cares?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Costco is like Netflix or HBO Go, you should be using a friend or family member to get in without paying for the membership yourself.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

I can't speak for other membership chains, but I am a happy Costco member. In my opinion, and as someone who spends far too much money at Costco, the membership wouldn't be worth it for a single person looking to save money. Where Costco really finds its value in my mind is in a combination of quantity, quality, and to a lesser extent "perks". Most things I buy at Costco I could find for cheaper or for about the same price by shopping sales, and it would be in more convenient (smaller) packages. Some of the items that are a genuinely great price are sold in such large quantities that a single person is going to have a hard time finishing it before it goes bad.

Another thing that can be nice at Costco is getting name brand or "higher quality" products for the same price you get the store brand products at a grocery store. For example, if there's not a sale, you might be able to pick up Kraft Mac n Cheese for the same price as the Kroger brand. Also, because Costco doesn't have a big selection, what they do stock tends to be good quality, which is nice if you're not familiar with a product category. The flip side of that is if you are familiar with the products, they just don't have the selection to get exactly what you want.

Then there's the perks: $1.50 hot dog lunch, $5 rotisserie chicken, discounted movie tickets, car buying service, discounted travel. The value of these is directly related to how much you use them. For me, most of them aren't really worth the trouble, and a little looking will get you similar deals elsewhere. They are nice to have available, though.

For most people on a tight budget, I don't think the benefits outweigh the membership cost. It can end up feeling like an obligation to get your money's worth. To me it feels like it's more about the convenience than the money savings. If you can piggy back on your parent's membership or you go in with a friend to split the costs it might make more sense, but probably not worth the money otherwise.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
GWM: Having a wife who works for Citibank and getting a free year's membership as a perk for them winning the Costco credit card contract.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Powerlurker posted:

Costco credit card contract.

Nice alliteration.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

His company matches 401k up to 6% of salary. He has contributed $0 over his career because "he has concerns about losing his money if he ever left his job."

Wait, what? When you put money into a 401k, that's still your money. Like you earned it, the company gave it to you. It was listed on your paycheck, just as a deduction.

Why would he think that he'd lose money if he ever left his job? I know the bare minimum about how 401k accounts work (My employer matches up to 5 percent of my salary, I make sure I put in 16k or whatever the cap is per year, I occasionally check it to see how much money it has), and I know that rolling over a 401k account is a thing. If/when I leave my current job, I'll probably figure out how to do that.

Why would this guy think he might possibly lose his money if he quits?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

He might be bad with money

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

melon cat posted:

Why force a home inspection and inject some sense of sanity into the Canadian housing market when 50% of the country's GDP "growth" comes from real estate? :suspense:

And for what it's worth- I don't think the Canadian real estate market will "crash" in the traditional sense (as much as it really should). There's still a lot of demand for detached housing (if it doesn't come from locals it'll come from wealthy foreign buyers) and the Canadian government seems keen on keeping rates as low as they possibly can, despite all indications that they should've been hiked years ago. Instead of a crash, we'll see home values' growth slow down (or even stagnate), and wake up to a new reality of deeply-indebted Canadian households and mortgages joint among 6-7 people. I'm already seeing it in my childhood neighbourhood- aging, post-WWII housing with at least 4-5 cars in the driveway/street. It wasn't always like this.

What's even nuttier is that owning a downtown condo high-rise unit has somehow become more expensive than buying a detached dwelling in the outer suburbs, here. Monthly fees of $600-$700 are common for a ~700 sq ft condo, especially if your building is more than 25 years old. An extreme example is this one in Etobicoke which has been charging condo owners $2000/month.

This is what happens when your HOA is run by people who think it is more important to have low fees than to have money in the bank. HOA fees suck but in a condo building with hundreds of units you need a couple million on the bank to avoid insane special assessments like that.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Coca Koala posted:

Wait, what? When you put money into a 401k, that's still your money. Like you earned it, the company gave it to you. It was listed on your paycheck, just as a deduction.

Why would he think that he'd lose money if he ever left his job? I know the bare minimum about how 401k accounts work (My employer matches up to 5 percent of my salary, I make sure I put in 16k or whatever the cap is per year, I occasionally check it to see how much money it has), and I know that rolling over a 401k account is a thing. If/when I leave my current job, I'll probably figure out how to do that.

Why would this guy think he might possibly lose his money if he quits?

This is how my moms new husband feels about 401ks. "I don't trust em, the government could take that money at any time."

His retirement is flipping homes, he and my mom made $50k in the last 12 months buying, doing poo poo upgrades, and reselling three homes in the southwest suburbs of Dallas.

I told him that flipping is for jerks and probably why I'll never own a home in Dallas.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Tomfoolery posted:

How to buy a Lamborghini without being a millionaire:

It doesn't sound like the author even likes Lamborghinis

This makes my lotus look downright practical.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
edit: way beaten

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

I don't even know how that is possible if you want to own some kind of reliable car.

It's mind boggling to me when you see poor people with brand new trucks also; those things are atleast $500 a month and there's no way they're making THAT much.

Right. I've never lived somewhere a car was totally necessary. Of course, the downside to living in a place with good public transit is that my 300 square foot basement apartment costs $1,500/month.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5mtova/im_dying_in_a_few_months_i_have_a_1200000_life/

quote:

Also, I'm 32 and she is 33 and I want to ensure she is taken care of as best as possible w/ a finance safety net for life (I know 1.2 millino isn't a lot for 40 years); is there a way I can put 50% in a mutual fund that she can only collect dividends from and 50% in a 20 year annuity or something?Welcoming all advice related.
Her income potential is roughly $30k-$40k/yr and will never go up probably
Also, we have no savings or 401k. I make 130k/yr and we live paycheck to paycheck because we are retardedly financially irresponsible....and somehow are able to waste that money without buying luxury goods, drugs, or gambling...

Also why he is gonna die apparently

quote:

cirrhosis + liver failure; pretty much hand in hand. i crossed the point of no return after continuing to drink 20+ shots a day after the docs told me I had to stop drinking that day or die....

Maybe this is fake, but this is a definite BWM / BWL story.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 9, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

C.H.O.M.E posted:

This makes my lotus look downright practical.

This is how I justify driving a Cayman: "It could have been so much worse."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Costco is worth it just for the pricing you get on car rentals while traveling.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Residency Evil posted:

This is how I justify driving a Cayman: "It could have been so much worse."

Sup, fellow semi-regrettable-but-ultimately-justifiable luxury car buddy?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Depending on your local Costco, booze is fantastically cheap. Like 20 shots a day cheap. A 1.75 liter bottle of very good Kirkland vodka goes for about $14. If you like fancier beverages, I've noticed name brand bourbon's and whiskey's for about 15 to 20% less at Costco.

But yeah, unless you're an alcoholic or have a large family to feed it might not be worth it. There are other services like their pharmacy, vision center, car buying program, and the sad person who is always standing forlorn by the roofing, travel, garage doors, and AC booths on your way out.

If you're planning on a big ticket electronics purchase, you'd probably do well buying an one-year Costco membership just for the extended warranty on their TV's and their incredible return policy.

Duckman2008 posted:

BWM story from last night. A good friend's parents in South Dakota are having medical issues. She is trying to get there and of course is delayed and misses her connecting flight. Decides to drive from Minneapolis St. Paul to Sioux Falls. First car rental quote? $1700 for 5 days.

She managed to find something for a far more reasonable $500 to $600, but gently caress Hertz. gently caress it a lot.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 9, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duckman2008 posted:

THANK YOU FOR THISS!!!

I have to rent a car next week and had a reservation with Enterprise for $171. I looked inot costco's price and its $118. So for the price of my existing reservation I could get the car AND a costco membership. Sold!!!

Does that make me GWM? :ohdear:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Edit: ^^Yes. Also, giant delicious $5 rotisserie chickens rule.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol dude come on. I live in Seattle and have worked at Google for about ten years

Just out of idle curiosity, do you know what the highest paid programming/IT niches are right now?

im moving and into a "first apartment" i guess and going thorugh trying to budget and oh boy how do people manage to live without earnign $20/hr

I got into minimalism. And now that I can afford our consumerist culture, I don't want it anymore!

Materialism is a con.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 9, 2017

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You can usually get gas from Costco stations for $.10-.15/gal less than other stations as well, at least that's the normal spread I've seen here in Michigan. Takes a whole year maybe but I usually get my memberships value just from that.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

THANK YOU FOR THISS!!!

I have to rent a car next week and had a reservation with Enterprise for $171. I looked inot costco's price and its $118. So for the price of my existing reservation I could get the car AND a costco membership. Sold!!!

Does that make me GWM? :ohdear:

Yes, it does, also: the less money you have the more you need to keep track of it. Do you have a budget? Make a budget.

Also I laugh at all of you unwilling to call yourselves rich. I consider myself fabulously wealthy on less than 40k a year gross in filthy Canadian toy money because I can lavishly supply all my physical needs, afford the ridiculous expense of owning and pampering a domestic animal, save for my old age, and attend classes at a no-poo poo real university that will someday blossom into an actual business degree.

Like I am basking in prosperity and good fortune, I recommend thinking of yourself as rich if you can at all because it's a pretty good feeling.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Zero One posted:

Money laundering is BWM

This is great, especially the part where some forgiving teller specifically warned him it was a problem and he just kept doing it until he got nabbed. Apparently didn't think he needed to check in with his boss about that warning or anything.

It depends on how broke you are. If you are seriously broke, Costcos isn't actually the best prices for cheapest goods. As a couple examples, they typically do not stock a lot of dry goods like beans or lentils, and their rice is not actually as cheap as you can get from most discount grocery stalls. You can get a number of things (rice, canned fruits, pasta) cheaper by buying the Guaranteed Value (store) brand at Stop and Shop, and it is likely that you can get meat on sale cheaper than the regular rate at Costco if you are paying attention and hitting weekly sales.

If you are not counting every dime on your budget though, it is good value for more mid-range stuff and especially if you are buying things like snacks or frozen foods. If you're a single person it's a little awkward because while you can just buy 100 rolls of toilet paper and be done for the year, you probably aren't going to burn through wholesale quantities of other stuff very easily and it might not work out. Also you really need to have transport to make best use of it, so that you can actually get all the things in bulk.

When we were scraping by we looked at both Costco and BJs and ended up just going with Stop and Shop/Market Basket/Star Market sales and specials. Now we are doing better and have two kids, we hit Costco regularly for a number of staples and kid products.

If you know someone who has a Costco membership, they can actually get you a gift card for it that allows you to go in and buy stuff without having to have your own membership, as long as you are using the card. It's a good way to check it out if you can't necessarily go with that person.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Tiny Deer posted:

Yes, it does, also: the less money you have the more you need to keep track of it. Do you have a budget? Make a budget.

Also I laugh at all of you unwilling to call yourselves rich. I consider myself fabulously wealthy on less than 40k a year gross in filthy Canadian toy money because I can lavishly supply all my physical needs, afford the ridiculous expense of owning and pampering a domestic animal, save for my old age, and attend classes at a no-poo poo real university that will someday blossom into an actual business degree.

Like I am basking in prosperity and good fortune, I recommend thinking of yourself as rich if you can at all because it's a pretty good feeling.

Yeah but then someone might think that means you live in an ivory tower without having to work or worry about what to do if you have a minor illness because *~*connotations*~*

Ashcans posted:

This is great, especially the part where some forgiving teller specifically warned him it was a problem and he just kept doing it until he got nabbed. Apparently didn't think he needed to check in with his boss about that warning or anything.

He did, he just thought the person who was telling him to launder money was a good person to ask if he should launder money.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 9, 2017

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Costco has been worth it for us just because of bulk toilet paper, paper towels, and the occasional big ticket electronics.

It's definitely not the best option for the tightest penny pinching, but if you're anywhere above that the increase in convenience is greater than the smaller difference in price.

Also they treat their employees well, which is a plus.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I figure it'd be good atleast for the household items or stuff that we absolutely will eat (do they have nuts?)

Didn't know about the gas, and the membership paid for itself already with the car rental. The worst part is it's 20 miles away compared ot the Wal-Marts 15 but oh well.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
If you have dogs, their frontline and heartgard are cheaper as well. Their dog food is great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Some of you need some serious perspective checking if you don't think your life isn't a constant stream of excess and indulgence based on the numbers you're throwing around.

I'm not even knocking you for it (we all want a cushy life after all) but cmon guys your privelege and lack of exposure is blatant. That or you forgot how to be smart about your money along the way (lifestyle creep, etc).

Don't get weird about it either, it is what it is. People I grew up with envy my income and it's nowhere near six figures, tons of people getting by with a sliver of what you spend or "need".

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread