Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foxtrot

Amend's website hasn't updated yet, so small copy for now.

Does this actually ever happen anymore, or is it just one of those "things" that get perpetuated forever for a cheap joke?

I just shove whatever in the washer and I've never had anything bleed like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Vargo posted:

Still surprisingly good Wizard of Id

Yeah, what's going on, seems like a lot of comics are shifting better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Johnny Aztec posted:

Does this actually ever happen anymore, or is it just one of those "things" that get perpetuated forever for a cheap joke?

I just shove whatever in the washer and I've never had anything bleed like that.

Some dyes are more prone to bleeding out than others and hot water improves the chances. In modern times we have way better detergents that work well at lower temperatures, and dyes that are better at staying in fabrics, so it's less common.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

I've had one thing run ever, it was red and it made some stuff go a bit pink. I think it was meant to be cold wash only.

I'm colourblind so I didn't even notice until someone else pointed it out.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

I liked that family circus.

It's cute but not saccharine.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Strontium posted:

Webcomics on Paper

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (November, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs (February, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (April, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (March, 1940, click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_donkey

Mopsy (September, 1940)

Tweedy (October, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2009, click for big)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (November, 1915)

Ah, the story of Young Everett True.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, Ed. The man is just trying to do his job. Go gently caress yourself.

Ed is so frequently an rear end in a top hat to people he deems as lower status (including his own son). At least the wife is almost rolling her eyes today. Are we really supposed to identify with this dick?

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets a Sunday Strip That Probably Should've Run Back in That Whole Cave Arc Where White Nose Syndrome Was the Excuse Y'know?

He had to take the time to write up all that important research he did in the cave.

quote:

The Phantom

Somebody's throat just got cut, albeit in a culturally improbable fashion, in the Sunday Funnies. Awesome.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Doesn't Spidey have something he can put on those webs to make them dissolve faster? Or did I just make that up? I'm choosing to believe that he does, but he's just pissed at Rocket for beating him up in front of his wife.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ripley's twisting the knife there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Well I know I want to set up signs like that to mark my dog's territory now.

Mary Worth

Geez, Mary's giving Iris the third degree here.

Rex Morgan MD

Uh, who wrote that message? :eek:

Jungle Jim with a little va-va-va-voom!

So, notable this week to me is that Kolu is referred to as "Jim's Native Servant" rather than "Jim's Black," which I think is progress. And based on that right panel, it seems that of the two Alex Raymond strips, which were released together, Flash Gordon was the more popular.

Edit: Oh it seems both those strips premiered 83 years ago yesterday, by the way.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 8, 2017

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Geez, Mary's giving Iris the third degree here.

Did he really put in a quote by Rob Schneider or is this an edit?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

For reals. If they had a honeymoon, we didn't hear about it. They've been married maybe a day. Whoever set up their schedule hates the hell out of them.

I think I've mentioned it before, but their schedules aren't even possible. In general, a firefighter has a "one day on, two day off" schedule. That means they're at the fire station for a full 24 hours, then off for 48. This three day cycle is repeated nine times, and then during the tenth cycle their on day is off.

Firefighters have a ton of downtime. There's no way anyone would be on for four days straight - that's insanity. The only way that would happen is if they swapped shifts with someone else to build up a larger consecutive day time off/vacation. But they would never be on for 96 hours. Greg Evans is an idiot.

And now, for a palette cleanser, Modesty Blaise:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Transmodiar posted:

I think I've mentioned it before, but their schedules aren't even possible. In general, a firefighter has a "one day on, two day off" schedule. That means they're at the fire station for a full 24 hours, then off for 48. This three day cycle is repeated nine times, and then during the tenth cycle their on day is off.

Firefighters have a ton of downtime. There's no way anyone would be on for four days straight - that's insanity. The only way that would happen is if they swapped shifts with someone else to build up a larger consecutive day time off/vacation. But they would never be on for 96 hours. Greg Evans is an idiot.

Evans is really scraping to milk some drama out of this situation but wrote himself into a corner months ago. He thinks he's in the clear because TJ is in the storyline so therefore the strip is funny, right (since the strip has to either be funny or dramatic), but TJ actually serves no purpose here because you know this plot isn't going to go anywhere (other than "TJ eventually overstays his 'welcome' and is Evicted by Brad and Toni and gets mad b/c he helped htem SOOO MUCH). Man, Luann was my favorite strip when I was like, eleven years old and she really resonated with me and my stupid crushes on boys.

What do the gocomics commenters have to say about TJ lately

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Abbey is very excited.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

... you know this plot isn't going to go anywhere (other than "TJ eventually overstays his 'welcome' and is Evicted by Brad and Toni and gets mad b/c he helped htem SOOO MUCH).

This sounds like something that might happen between real people so we can likely rule it out safely.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I'd just like to take a moment to thank this particular C&H for being the reason I will have the opening of Hamlet's Act III soliloquy memorized until the day I die.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Julet Esqu posted:

Ed is so frequently an rear end in a top hat to people he deems as lower status (including his own son). At least the wife is almost rolling her eyes today. Are we really supposed to identify with this dick?

Kelley probably thinks he's getting in sick burns on those drat idiot lazy millenials or whatever, but the actual audience probably mostly views Ed more like we do.

quote:

Ed Kudlick, Dustin's father, is an angry, bitter lawyer who despises Dustin's apparent laziness and is the strip's main antagonist. Ed is never supportive in any way, and always seeks to crush Dustin's attempts to find meaning and useful employment, ceaselessly mocking his son and putting him down, yet the only thing they have in common is their love of golf.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think that was a goon edit, but it's still funny as hell because those changes were made ages ago and nobody's fixed them yet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's nothing to fix because it's entirely accurate.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Johnny Aztec posted:

Bill Amend tweeted that this actually happened to him a week after he drew the strip, so the answer is, yeah, it still happens.

https://twitter.com/billamend/status/818138354420219906

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I really don't want to know if this happened to Brooke after he drew this strip.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
loving Piranha Club loving aste of paper and ink nothing good ever came out of loving Bayonne New Jersey

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

Couldn't bear to tell the kid about what a bad deal he was getting into until after his dad got the poo poo beaten out of him?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Any time someone else is in a position of superiority over him—even, say, a doctor or a mechanic—he becomes the whiniest, pissiest baby about it. Not to their face, though; he rants to his family, later, at home in his safe space.

Ed's a poo poo.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 9, 2017

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I stopped reading this thread again and forgot 9 Chickweed Lane existed.

I made a mistake today, thread!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 11, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets (and Wash Tubbs Gets A Monkey!) (February 12 and 19, 1928)

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I think the only time I've ever been asked if I knew how things worked at a restaurant was when it wasn't a "sit here and order from a menu" place and was something like a mongolian grill

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:allears:

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The dog.

bean_shadow posted:

Did he really put in a quote by Rob Schneider or is this an edit?
It's an edit. The original is '"Love is when two people who care for each other get confused." - Bob Schneider'. I have no idea what that means though.

Even though it's so often disappointing, I still get excited whenever I see a character I like reappear in this comic. I don't even remember what's going on in the current story most of the time, but I keep reading it and expecting it to be good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is poor value for money.

Working Daze is a wide-awake nightmare.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix butts.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

angerbeet posted:

I stopped reading this thread again and forgot 9 Chickweed Lane existed.

I made a mistake today, thread!

Welcome back to the fold. Our anguish sustains Him.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Any time someone else is in a position of superiority over him—even, say, a doctor or a mechanic—he becomes the whiniest, pissiest baby about it. Not to their face, though; he rants to his family, later, at home in his safe space.

Ed's a poo poo.

#jokefficiency

Conversely,

#thingsoldwhitemansays

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 9, 2017

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Gotta say, that Chrome extension made this obnoxiously easy. Any thread requests for a fifth comic?

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg™

Dustin

Mandrake

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

"The Phantom is an rear end in a top hat with roughnecks."

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Kennel posted:

Today's Dogg™

Why do these creep me out so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cosima posted:

Why do these creep me out so much?

Because it has three instances of "Guy Gilchrist"?

• Locked thread