Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Considering making an alt and wondering if there is a typical "pure healer" class. Does such a thing exist in this game? I get a lot of contradictory info online. Will probably go guardian if no clear answer exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

FunkMonkey posted:

Considering making an alt and wondering if there is a typical "pure healer" class. Does such a thing exist in this game? I get a lot of contradictory info online. Will probably go guardian if no clear answer exists.

Almost, but it's at the end of the line: Ranger's elite spec, Druid, is the purest healer this game has.

Alternative hipster answer: healing-spec Elementalist, which no one will let you play due to needing DPS from Eles.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

Tbh if you're looking for the typical "pure healer" type gameplay gw2 isn't really the place to find it. Druids might throw out more healing but you are still expected to do your share of dps.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

if you raid, druid is a healer

if you don't raid, there are no healers

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

This doesn't surprise me too much, based on what I've seen. Thanks for the responses.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I mean, you can help keep people alive with healing and damage prevention pretty well, but your not going to be able to just afk spam targeted heals on the life bars jumping up and down, you still got to get in the thick of things and deal damage.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Just play ele. Jack of all trades master of DPS and dying

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸
Healing Guardian honestly trivializes all of the content in the game because the heal output and block spam negates nearly every mechanic. People are too obsessed with the meta to allow it anywhere for the most part, though. Sometimes we take one in one of my raid groups and it just makes everything easy mode

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

As guardian, the condition shout combo thing where you suck in all the conditions and turn them into boons is the closest thing I'll get to being able to RP as goku making a spirit bomb.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

CaptainSwanky posted:

Healing Guardian honestly trivializes all of the content in the game because the heal output and block spam negates nearly every mechanic. People are too obsessed with the meta to allow it anywhere for the most part, though. Sometimes we take one in one of my raid groups and it just makes everything easy mode

There's also the fact that Druids bring the most offensive buffs that any healer in the game can offer (Spotter, Frost Spirit, Sun Spirit, Glyph of Empowerment, Grace of the Land) while also being able to keep teams alive marginally well. What they lack in giant healing capabilities they make up for in increasing the overall DPS of their allies.

It's a shame that other healers don't offer anything close to what Druids can, when it's so easy for Anet to do so to increase class diversity while not breaking the game. Instead we are stuck with 4 classes being the optimal build for speedrunning raids and that's all anyone cares about.

It actually kinda reminds me of the Ursanway days back in GW1...

But if you wanna run a healer in WvW zergs, other choices (Guardian, Ele, Rev) are better because they are more defensive-supportive healers than offensive-supportive healers and will actually keep the zergs alive.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Just run two DPS druids and have a magi tempest, minstrels chronotank, or whatever guardian setup make up for the rest of the healing. Even lets you use CA rotationally for more GotL instead of just reacting to damage. Less efficient but easier to just have 1000hp/s on you because you stood near the ele for a second.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ApeHawk posted:

But if you wanna run a healer in WvW zergs, other choices (Guardian, Ele, Rev) are better because they are more defensive-supportive healers than offensive-supportive healers and will actually keep the zergs alive.
I started running a healing engineer as a gimmick in WvW and it turns out that it's actually legit really good, and it's probably better now because the best thing it offers is a stupid amount of condition removal and a lot of the people that we're up against now are running condition comps with Epidemic.

The downside is that it does zero damage.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I have never died once in this game for any reason ever.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Lonk posted:

How many SAB skins do you have?

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Lonk posted:

Lonk is honor bound to delete his character upon death.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lonk posted:

Same but unironically

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same but unironically

Lies. You die every time someone looks at you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Lies. You die every time someone looks at you.

Look, the Arus Manoeuvre™ is a perfectly legitimate tactic

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

knowonecanknow posted:

How many SAB skins do you have?

All of the Storm Wizard set, 3 from King Toad and nearly all of the regular SAB skins. I think I'm missing 2 of those.

HEVampersand
Apr 2, 2005

Do you even own a toothbrush?
I just got a friend of mine to finally set up an account and download Guild Wars 2 so he could join us for goomteq but when he tried to log in Maguuma was full. Is there a chance a spot opens up for him to make a character on our server or is he poo poo out of luck?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

HEVampersand posted:

I just got a friend of mine to finally set up an account and download Guild Wars 2 so he could join us for goomteq but when he tried to log in Maguuma was full. Is there a chance a spot opens up for him to make a character on our server or is he poo poo out of luck?

If you just want him to join the game to do anything with him that isn't WvW, then he can just join any server and he can still join the map you're in.

Really, WvW is the only reason there are still separate servers.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So apparently i need 5 pristine fractal relics to make a maudrey, can i buy them for regular fractal relics? if not, how hard are they to get? I have one character with i think 9 agony resist and really very little desire to do group content, hopefully this is not much of a pain.

HEVampersand
Apr 2, 2005

Do you even own a toothbrush?

ApeHawk posted:

If you just want him to join the game to do anything with him that isn't WvW, then he can just join any server and he can still join the map you're in.

Really, WvW is the only reason there are still separate servers.

He may never get into WvW but I figured if i've harrassed him this long to just try and get into GW2, it'd be nice to make sure it's all set just in case it actually is the WvW that gets him hooked. :)

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

Look, the Arus Manoeuvre™ is a perfectly legitimate tactic

http://www.bigpoutine.com/

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

malhavok posted:

So apparently i need 5 pristine fractal relics to make a maudrey, can i buy them for regular fractal relics? if not, how hard are they to get? I have one character with i think 9 agony resist and really very little desire to do group content, hopefully this is not much of a pain.

Good news, with 9 AR you can safely do anything in the first tier (1-25) which is enough to get pristine relics. There are three fractal dailies that award a chest for each tier, plus a couple daily recommended fractals (one in the 21-40 bracket, the other in 4-19) that give a similar chest, and each one has a pristine relic. If you're lucky and both recommended fractals are <30 you could knock all 5 out in a day, if you're lazy you can do the most :effort: one available and knock it all out in a week anyways. Even unorganized T1 runs generally don't take more than 15-20 mins unless you're super unlucky, so it's plausible to knock it all out in an evening of playing. I'm sure if you asked in guild somebody would go with you.

That somebody would be me but I don't play this dead game so :rip:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

malhavok posted:

You get them from fractal dailies, so more AR helps you get more faster since you can do more of the dailies, but if you just want the 5 for the mist stone then it should be trivial to grab them from one day's worth of low-tier dailies.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's one or two days of dailies, max, even if you don't have any fractal experience.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

When did you stop getting one just for completing a fractal?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I've just reinstalled this game after having played at launch to 80.

What do I do, and why is Lion's Arch not broken?

Oodles fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 10, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

CaptainSwanky posted:

Healing Guardian honestly trivializes all of the content in the game because the heal output and block spam negates nearly every mechanic.

Link to this build?

Aug 24, 2011

~1 hour to buy snow piles at the guild hall before the option goes away FOREVER until next year

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

Ineptitude posted:

Link to this build?

This is what I play

Sometimes I use Wall of Reflect or Sanctuary, which is why I have Master of Consecrations traited. You have a lot of passives happening on a build like this, and you can pretty much block every single attack from a raid boss for yourself and other people. You have a full heal and passive healing from the elite signet, you have a ranged aoe rez, leaps, CC, etc. I use Zealot's gear with the build with Monk runes and Sigil of Transference and Air. Transference is for extra healing and Air is for extra damage because I don't really think there is enough damage to modify with Force for it to be a gain. As far as play goes, pretty much just keep the symbol up from your mace and autoattack. I prioritize the mace block over everything else because the cooldown is the shortest, but some of your blocks are going to have features that are more suited for more dangerous stuff. It's not that hard to play and it can do a lot, it's honestly got really powerful healing output and decent damage with Zealot's gear, but if you want to use Magi's gear for extra safety and more healing output then that's also an option. If you have any more questions just let me know

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How's the healing output compare to other healers? Also have you ever tried dropping lawnmower trap for Aegis shout, or is that overkill? Do you wind up using Mace 3 much? I just slapped together the build and a 3.75s cast time is painfully long, unless you apply the Prot and Aegis from it whenever you stop channeling it instead of only if you finish the channel.

I can't be hosed with making Zealot's gear because I'm a lazy jerk, but I might slap together some heavy Magi's gear and bring this to my next raid.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Protector's Strike only applies its boons and damage if you get a block from it, as soon as it blocks something.

What usually ends up happening though is you try to block an AoE CC like Lupi's kick or the Gorseval slam, but it blocks on someone next to you and immediately ends and you get knocked out of the animation before it applies boons if you don't have your own Stability or Aegis already up.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5n5uwn/gemstore_update_bank_job_package_880_gems/

lol.

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

You can take the Retreat if you want, I just take the trap for damage sometimes. You basically want to spam the mace block to keep up stacks of healing power and you can time it so that you proc the aegis when you need to block for other people. It's not like super hard to do or anything but it'l probably take getting used to

Aug 24, 2011

patch notes:

-added jack poo poo
-changed nothing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

patch notes:

-added jack poo poo
-changed nothing

Gems?