Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm surprised she didn't grab axelrod or that he sat the election out

axelrod retired from campaigns. he's 61, never gonna top obama, and he's made oodles of money so he's totally happy to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

let's not forget that weaver's strategy for black outreach was "show them the photo of Bernie with MLK" until they lost South Carolina, after which their strategy for black outreach became "let's immediately write states with large black populations off and hope we can run up the score in whiter states"

which is what makes it kind of ironic that hillary supporters are now defending running up scores in safe areas

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

No you see it's RACIST!! IDPOL 4 LIFE.

That owned seeing all the hill folk whine about not enough minorities in the America ad, even though that ad used footage from events in the Iowa primary.

I guess Hill Folk coastals never visited the midwest before much like Hillary GE campaign

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
jesus loving christ that av

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

logikv9 posted:

someone really thought me being gay was hilarious vOv

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

logikv9 posted:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Saurus posted:

I guess it's harder to say things that might upset people when they're right there in front of you and you might have to see the sadness in their eyes and feel their empathy and pangs of guilt and shame and regret :shrug:

lol

you are something else alright

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i really do want to buy a gun, but for conceal carry/plinking and not suicidal reasons. is there a thread for dopes like me in TFR? do you have a suggestion for a 22lr semi-auto in the price range of "fuckin' cheap as possible?"

I don't go into tfr because it's weird but 22 isn't as reliable self defense caliber at lower price point guns because of tradeoffs between the design necessities of concealment vs. the design necessities of 22lr.

I highly recommend picking up whatever 22 semi auto rifle you can pick up for on sale for 150 bucks or so because it is fun to shoot.

For personal defense we need to talk if you're interested in concealed carry or just home defense. Because the "cheap home defense" answer is always gonna be a shotgun from the local pawn shop and concealed carry discussion would probably make this derail unsustainable.

Bushiz has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Jan 9, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bushiz posted:

I don't go into tfr because it's weird but 22 isn't as reliable self defense caliber at lower price point guns because of tradeoffs between the design necessities of concealment vs. the design necessities of 22lr.

I highly recommend picking up whatever 22 semi auto rifle you can pick up for on sale for 150 bucks or so because it is fun to shoot.

For personal defense we need to talk if you're interested in concealed carry or just home defense. Because the "cheap home defense" answer is always gonna be a shotgun from the local pawn shop and concealed carry discussion would probably make this derail unsustainable.

Also 22 ammo is fairly cheap

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The most important part of owning a gun is knowing how to use it effectively (for the safety of yourself and others), after you get one go to an indoor shooting range and tell them it's your first time shooting. Gun ppl love that poo poo and will usually teach you out of the kindness of their heart and also because of the reasons listed above.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Lastgirl posted:

lol

you are something else alright

If tha' logik willnae com fur ae wee swally wi' me I'll buy ye any bevvy n' supper ye like, wi' ae tunnocks fur puddn 'n all :wink:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Internet gun nuts who spend lots of time talking about diff types of ammos and models and custom modding guns...I would avoid those people, you will end up buying poo poo you don't need and spending too much money.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

logikv9 posted:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also most gun people are psychologically incapable of processing the idea of a pro gun leftist so as long as you don't like have a neck tattoo of Stalin to go with your Che shirt they will assume you are One Of The Good Ones and all you have to do is stealth through it.

Most gun people are also really just phenomenally bad at actually shooting but pretty good about teaching safety. So bear that in mind.

If you want to get good at shooting do yoga at least as often as you go to the range.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ace of Baes posted:

Clinton would have won with any other campaign staff.
Clintons campaign staff would have won with any other candidate.

they were perfect for each other, frankly. it was kismet that they would gently caress up this spectacularly.

across multiple universes, those of sufficient technological advancement would peer into ours, and laugh.

we are the multiverse's version of 'the producers.'

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Ace of Baes posted:

Internet gun nuts who spend lots of time talking about diff types of ammos and models and custom modding guns...I would avoid those people, you will end up buying poo poo you don't need and spending too much money.

Everyone should just get a .22 pistol and rifle, as it's the most common and small type of communition. But together.... they can overthrow an empire

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

someone really thought me being gay was hilarious vOv

Apparently they also really hate the fact that you're white. Sorry for your experience of racial hatred, friend.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

The Saurus posted:

Everyone should just get a .22 pistol and rifle, as it's the most common and small type of communition. But together.... they can overthrow an empire

I disagree but Im not gonna say why because it would derail.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Clinton and co. we're so bad they lost to a dude running as a way to sell books and discount steaks.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bushiz posted:

funny you mention a rifle -- i was given a savage arms bolt-action 22 (w/ scope) for christmas, so that was a big part of why i was leaning towards the same caliber in a pistol. i wasn't joking about that $12k salary. i plan on doing a little paper shooting once/if i get this degree finished in a couple of weeks.

besides, a TN democrat who also holds a cc permit would cause a couple of gears to seize up in republican heads 'round these parts.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
There are plenty of liberals who like guns, at least in the military/vet community.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's not really so much me being cheap as i literally cannot afford anything fancier.

i mean, i've never been shot, but i'd imagine a couple of .22 bullets in center mass would still get someone's attention.

i mean, if i stand by the idea that vulnerable populations should be armed and taught to handle them safely, it seems a little wrong not to be armed myself.

Ace of Baes posted:

There are plenty of liberals who like guns, at least in the military/vet community.

oh, i don't doubt that for a second, just that there ain't a lot around here, at least afaik.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Jan 9, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bushiz posted:

Also most gun people are psychologically incapable of processing the idea of a pro gun leftist so as long as you don't like have a neck tattoo of Stalin to go with your Che shirt they will assume you are One Of The Good Ones and all you have to do is stealth through it.

IMO this is a bad approach: a lot of the vitriol between gun fans and liberals/leftists is the stereotypes thrown at both. Show that you are a leftist but also aren't one of those silly gifs where a liberal fires a gun and starts crying.

Be comfortable with who you are, if they ask why a liberal would want to learn to use a gun take that chance to talk about the rich history of leftism and guns, they'll probably be interested.

Also yeah, if you're looking for home defense you want a shotgun. It got popular for a reason, people are really lousy shots with machines that aren't designed to spray pellets everywhere.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i mean, goddamn, hillary must have worn a domino mask and put all those checks in a giant burlap bag with a dollar sign on it when she held all those fundraisers because she just straight-up loving robbed 'em.

i mean, the only thing that could have completed the picture hinges on whether or not gucci makes a black-and-white striped pantsuit.

have you seen the motion picture "the producers"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ace of Baes posted:

unfortunately people like Nancy Pelosi can't avoid licking this particular third rail every chance they get meanwhile purple state Democrats get massacred

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rand alPaul posted:

Also Bernie's ads were pretty decent and always about himself and why he should vote for him, I don't see Bernie going negative ever, or issuing press releases about cartoon frogs. I saw Hillary ads in Oklahoma and they were all like "donald trump is a racist and kids are sad"

So is Pepe still a hate symbol or did the arbitrator of that type of thing quietly rescind the designation once they realized Hillary got trolled?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've always been fairly anti-gun but having seen what a horrible wedge issue it is for the left (it's probably the single most important one of The Actual Issues contributing to Bernie's loss, even) I'm sort of pragmatically reconsidering

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also thanks to this thread I keep seeing people in my Facebook feed link articles like "here's why it's better to call your congressman than to email them" and my only reaction is "I wonder whether they're pressuring their congressman about a specific piece of legislation or if they just want them to audit the electoral college or something"

also also please keep posting horrible Twitter people, I am a drama addict

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

loquacius posted:

I've always been fairly anti-gun but having seen what a horrible wedge issue it is for the left (it's probably the single most important one of The Actual Issues contributing to Bernie's loss, even) I'm sort of pragmatically reconsidering

Well, that and him personally showing up to shoot up Sandy Hook

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://twitter.com/KillerMike/status/611505777665159168

https://twitter.com/KillerMike/status/611507964340338689

https://twitter.com/KillerMike/status/611512225673523200

killer mike is my spirit animal

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

funny you mention a rifle -- i was given a savage arms bolt-action 22 (w/ scope) for christmas, so that was a big part of why i was leaning towards the same caliber in a pistol. i wasn't joking about that $12k salary. i plan on doing a little paper shooting once/if i get this degree finished in a couple of weeks.

besides, a TN democrat who also holds a cc permit would cause a couple of gears to seize up in republican heads 'round these parts.

Buy a bucket of bullets for like 60 bucks and go to a range and just have as much fun as possible. If there's somewhere that has reactive targets near you go do that cause it's fun as poo poo.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i mean, i've never been shot, but i'd imagine a couple of .22 bullets in center mass would still get someone's attention.

The problem with 22 as a self defense round is that the light load means you can't make the internals as sturdy as you would on a higher caliber weapon, and in real world situations this makes the gun more likely to jam or misfire, especially at the price point you're talking about. 380 auto is a pretty common self defense caliber and the guns are pretty cheap. You can puick up a decent ruger for less than 300 bucks.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

it's not really so much me being cheap as i literally cannot afford anything fancier.

i mean, if i stand by the idea that vulnerable populations should be armed and taught to handle them safely, it seems a little wrong not to be armed myself.

oh, i don't doubt that for a second, just that there ain't a lot around here, at least afaik.
If you're poor and looking for something for home defense shotgun is the way to go. Everyone should own a good shotgun. There are many affordable options, especially when buying used. Go to TFR and read the OP in the shotgun thread and then feel free to ask away with any questions you have. Flatland Crusoe knows drat near everything about shotguns and he's always there answering questions.

As for a pistol suitable for home defense or concealed carry you're going to be looking at about $300 for something that isn't a total piece of poo poo give or take $50 depending on what your local market is like.

As others have said .22 isn't really a suitable self defense round both because of lack of stopping power and the tiny little bullets are prone to jamming. It would work in a pinch but you're better off buying something with some real punch.

fat bossy gerbil has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Jan 9, 2017

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I love shooting weapons at people

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hot take guns are bad but also we're not banning guns in the next 4 or even 16 years probably so uh gently caress that

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Michael Bayleaf posted:

I love shooting weapons at people

this but unironically

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
If anyone wants to ban guns, the best way to do it is to start a far left militia and give guns to black/latino/LGBT/etc folks.

I don't support banning them but if you want to do it, this is basically the only historically proven way to get the GOP and Dems to ban guns.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Once police start openly mowing down black protesters under Trump I'm sure the best strategy will be to double down on peaceful protests.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Dems don't want to actually ban guns anyway, it's their version of the GOP's "pro-life" stance, an issue sure to never be solved but you can go to the well for it every election to pretend like you give a poo poo! The difference is the GOP voters actually show up for their distraction issue.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

the marketing student that i am, i boil over with rage at the thought of how those ads were just

hillary '16: "trump bad."

me: "yes, and...?"

hillary '16: "trump bad."

me: "...the thing that makes hillary good is...?"

hillary '16: "i'm hillary clinton and i approve this message."

me: "GODDAMN IT"

That's what John Kerry did in 2004. Dems never learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

logikv9 posted:

There's a bunch of avs like that in d&d so it's being done by one likely crazy person with money to burn

• Locked thread