Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

No new episodes until 2017! Happy new year everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the real strength of bob burgers, for me, even since the very early episodes, is how it takes a sort of standard family sitcom premise and then just goes completely off the rails into some absurd conclusion (also the attention to detail). like in season 2 the synchronized swimming episode - it begins with the kids cooking up a lie to get out of a dumb class and it ends with a bunch of people writhing around in a dry pool doing prenatal yoga. in the latest season, teddy wants to take the belchers out on his refurbished boat but it's an elaborate stupid plot to get petty revenge on his ex wife and it ends up in a weird gilligan's island thing. or the last episode with rich white guys blowing away gingerbread houses with guns. tina wants to win the costume pageant and she ends up getting cursed (second belcher to get maliciously cursed after bob pissed off mars sazerac) i'm always just left laughing at the idea of "how did we end up here" and that has some legs

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

boner confessor posted:

(also the attention to detail)

Calvin's gun had a functional hammer and one rich guy was fanning his revolver but Felix's Luger didn't toggle-lock action. Lazy animators. :colbert:

:goonsay:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The Christmas episode, no less. After shelving it for 8 out of the last 10 weekends (even before/after the world series).
Not even AV Club's daily round-up said it was gonna be on. I may be paranoid but I can't help but think that this was intentional.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

Not even AV Club's daily round-up said it was gonna be on. I may be paranoid but I can't help but think that this was intentional.
It's a reference to the famous Christmas saying, "Who can ever know when Christmas will come again?"

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Kevin Kline was killing it this episode.

"An albino polar bear cub cuddle is a very prestigious cuddle, Bob."

"I've cuddled a rhino baby, a tiger baby, and now I may cuddle an albino polar bear baby."

"That's such a good order to do it in."

Electromax fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 29, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They need to bring back Bob's obsession with Cake.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't think this got linked over the summer break, but if so, it totally deserves multiple links anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwYCq9tT0GU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It absolutely did but it's always worth another link and watch.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't think this got linked over the summer break, but if so, it totally deserves multiple links anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwYCq9tT0GU

This is great but maybe too low-tone(?) for me.
I love the original in-episode execution more. It's more uplifting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, Last Man On Earth seems to be on hiatus until March and Bob's Burgers is in its 9:30 slot presumably for the duration.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did a few double episode nights to catch up the aired count.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

AbstractNapper posted:

This is great but maybe too low-tone(?) for me.
I love the original in-episode execution more. It's more uplifting.

Well, every interpretation of a Bob's Burger song performed by The National isn't exactly cheery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExughc7RE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsRY9vqr9rA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5GoDMUJvBE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight is the start of its new temporary timeslot after Family Guy.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Ex MachTina
An ankle injury leaves Tina no choice but to send a robot to her classes for her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh, a banjo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Attempted Robo homicide there.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Smigel doing a voice for an animated show makes me miss TV Funhouse.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A Zeekret!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Man, leave it to this show to take what could easily be a current day Simpsons plot and make it extremely down to earth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think they'll fit...

MAKE THEM FIT!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Let's get the bitching out of the way early.

No new episode next week due to an hour long simpsons.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

As a security guard, Uli is my grim future.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Cars! All the different cars!

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I am email.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The robot sub-plot where Louise and Gene get ahold of the thing was amazing.

I thought Bob's was a little flat. Kind of feel like we've had too many episodes where he buys something outrageous considering he's always complaining about being so drat poor.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I thought Bob's was a little flat. Kind of feel like we've had too many episodes where he buys something outrageous considering he's always complaining about being so drat poor.
There have been way too many episodes over the past couple of seasons where one plot involves the Belcher kids and the other plot involves Bob and Linda, and the kid ones are almost always better (this episode included). They need to mix things up more.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Just done my seasonal "forgot about this show because Fox never has it on" catch up and have to ask - were there always this many songs? I don't mind the odd episode basically descending into a musical but it seems like every single one has so far.

That aside, have enjoyed every episode without really being able to remember a thing about them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Just done my seasonal "forgot about this show because Fox never has it on" catch up and have to ask - were there always this many songs? I don't mind the odd episode basically descending into a musical but it seems like every single one has so far.

Yes. Nearly every single episode in the first season had a song, and then it might have gone down a little.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Robot security supervisor's "Oh god, whaaat!" when it was leaving the school slayed me.

Best new character on the show, ever.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
"Do you have email?"
"I AM email."

That random song they used during the montage was fantastic too. I want to buy that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bob subplot should have been removed or something. Rest of the episode was good.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Long time watcher, first(?) time poster.

I think the best joke this season was Gene commenting on Tina's witchcraft:

"What a fun way to cheat at a costume contest!"

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Bob subplot should have been removed or something. Rest of the episode was good.

Pfhtht..the banjo subplot was funny.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Bob's subplot was far enough in the background that it was fine. It also set up the really funny moment at the end where he thought he was about to have his banjo moment and it lasted like 15 seconds.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think it was one of the best episodes in a while. There weren't any "Didn't Louise already learn this lesson?" moments, or Bob being humiliated past the point of sanity with no relief. There have been too many of those types of episodes recently, at least in my opinion.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Bob has a banjo" wasn't even a subplot in that recent episode, and I think it was for the best. There were just a few jokes revolving around it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

robot roll call posted:

Man, leave it to this show to take what could easily be a current day Simpsons plot and make it extremely down to earth.

Nailed it. I can totally see The Simpsons doing this premise where Lisa has to use the robot, but another one-off character you don't care about would introduce the robot and be heavily involved in the plot, and Lisa would likely uncover some sort of conspiracy while using the robot, possibly involving said one-off character.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yes. Nearly every single episode in the first season had a song, and then it might have gone down a little.

They've been showing the first season on Comedy Central UK and I haven't heard a song yet. Even the credits are silent!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dead Goon posted:

They've been showing the first season on Comedy Central UK and I haven't heard a song yet.

The fifth episode is the Dinner Theatre episode.

The one that follows... well, it features this memorable bit

The show's been pretty fun musically since its first season. It just was allowed to stretch what was previously like 20 seconds of music into an actual whole song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I never pay attention to the lyrics of those "montage songs"... clearly I've been missing out.

• Locked thread