Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ryoga posted:

It is literal and to the point. It is an orthodox translation.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

It is literal and to the point. It is an orthodox translation.

Well done.

Anyway, if it is on the level of G Gen Gen I'll be really pleased. G^3 wasn't perfect but frankly it was better than a lot of 'official' translations. It's not something I'd ever call great but it was perfectly acceptable considering the sheer amount of loving text in that game and MD's own relative quality.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Brunom1 posted:

Neither did Gargantia.

Well at least with Gargantia the robot is a main character

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I forgot that the Xi Gundam has funnel missiles. That sounds so incredibly wasteful...just like a real military project!

Also, how many times does Anaheim develop a Gundam without the federation or anyone else knowing? In my mind the conversations go like

Federation guy: Anaheim are you developing a secret Gundam right now?
Anaheim guy: no
Federation guy: That's what you said the last five times but you really aren't this time?
Federation guy: Well okay....I guess we'll get back to oppressing spacenoids now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I forgot that the Xi Gundam has funnel missiles. That sounds so incredibly wasteful...just like a real military project!

Also, how many times does Anaheim develop a Gundam without the federation or anyone else knowing? In my mind the conversations go like

Federation guy: That's what you said the last five times but you really aren't this time?
Federation guy: Well okay....I guess we'll get back to oppressing spacenoids now.

If I recall properly Funnels have never been all that expensive to produce(look at Neo Zeon deploying dozens of Quebleys during ZZ), the main thing that kept the Federation from fully embracing Psycommu weapons was that Newtypes are both rare and incredibly unreliable(and Cyber Newtypes are expensive and even more unreliable) which lead to the Federation all but giving up on using them in their military after Hathaway's Flash

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Weirdly, there's a game where the protagonist uses a funnel system designed for oldtypes that seems to work fine, and then it never gets brought up or used anywhere else in the UC setting.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

INCOMs? Those are in a lot of places, but I wouldn't really call them funnels for oldtypes.

Unless you're talking about something else in which case hell if I know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Weirdly, there's a game where the protagonist uses a funnel system designed for oldtypes that seems to work fine, and then it never gets brought up or used anywhere else in the UC setting.

INCOMs are wired which has a really significant drawback compared to true funnels. It massively limits their range and flexibility and also since they're computer-guided they're more predictable.

Even in the OYW they actually had wire-guided missiles and the original newtype weapons also had wires for recovery and backup.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did they ever explain why cyber newtypes seemed so comparatively easy to make? No one ever really knows what the hell is up with newtypes but suddenly they can just create that effect in people?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Making cyber newtypes is not the hard part

it's keeping them from combusting and killing your own team or go insane or betray you because they found a person that actually cares for them on the enemy's side

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did they ever explain why cyber newtypes seemed so comparatively easy to make? No one ever really knows what the hell is up with newtypes but suddenly they can just create that effect in people?

Cyber Newtypes are basically vaguely replicating Newtypes's most blunt and obvious features so they're easy to make as long as you don't mind them exploding in upon themselves in a month

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What I mean is, is it an application of some earlier research in gene therapy in general?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I mean is, is it an application of some earlier research in gene therapy in general?

It's never really addressed. It's apparently some kind of treatment or therapy but the specifics don't tend to get into. The closest we get is Zeta saying that both drugs and hypnosis are involve in the process.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

We don't know the exact processes, but whatever it is, it's extremely painful, mentally scarring, and is basically torture. And may or may not include dangerous and invasive surgery. So it's not like just anyone can get it slapped on them without a 90% chance of them dying or becoming vegetables before the whole laundry list of normal cyber newtype survivor problems arise.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The wonders of having a monopoly, I suppose. This is what lead to the Federation's in-house SNRI being propped up as the main developer of Gundams in Late UC works.

Not that they're any better about it. :ssh:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Man I am actuallly having a bit more troubling getting sr points in moon dwellers than other srw games.

I'm on episode 21 an it's actually giving me a decent amount of trouble.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm sure most of you guys are long done with it, but I just finished GB3 today. Well, half of it anyway. I am not happy that they got lazy and/or greedy in this one. Previous games had a long campaign in which you started with HG parts and upgraded to MG about halfway through. In this one, you beat the game with only HG parts and then get the message "NOW YOU CAN REPLAY THE GAME AND EARN MG PARTS THIS TIME." The DLC missions may be the missing half of the campaign, in which case booo to Bamco, kind of, for making me pay twice as much for the same amount of content we had in GB1 and 2.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's kinda telling when it comes to Cyber Newtypes that the most stable and competent one we see is Iron Mask, and when you're talking about someone who thought using drones to commit global genocide is a good idea, you know a concept needs to be shelved

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Honestly the most stable and competent cyber newtype is probably Gyunei Guss. The only thing he had issues with was an inferiority complex against Char.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

Honestly the most stable and competent cyber newtype is probably Gyunei Guss. The only thing he had issues with was an inferiority complex against Char.
Nanai seemed to be someone who was pushing that technology forward like never before.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Gates Capra was pretty stable until the...feedback from Rosamia? Gyunei definitely the most stable, Quess activated an inferiority complex against Char but that got solved by Char just talking to him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Full Frontal was... mostly okay in that his worldview was pretty hosed up and nihilistic but he went about things in a sane and understated manner.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The main guy from IBO is a kind of Cyber Newtype. He's... good to his friends, at least.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Always willing to lend them a hand.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I actually kinda can't wait to see Mika in an SRW. His spirit loadout would be entirely offense focused and it'd be great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nah. He'll have Focus and/Flash at the minimum, he's dodgy as poo poo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder if there is an interesting way to translate Mika's increasing dehumanization and reliance on Barbatos into SRW gameplay mechanics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I wonder if there is an interesting way to translate Mika's increasing dehumanization and reliance on Barbatos into SRW gameplay mechanics.

The most logical thing would be that Barbatos Full Power has a usage limit like old-school Raideen or SRX but they've shied away from that kind of mechanic for a long time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. He'll have Focus and/Flash at the minimum, he's dodgy as poo poo.

I'll admit, I've only seen through the end of S1. Waiting on S2 to finish before I power through that. But I do remember Mika being very "win through extreme offense and aggression".

Like the snowfield fight or his general dislike for the blade because of it not meshing up with his aggressive barrel-through-and-smash preferences.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I actually kinda can't wait to see Mika in an SRW. His spirit loadout would be entirely offense focused and it'd be great.
wouldn't that just be kallen

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

wouldn't that just be kallen

Is it? I don't think I've ever used a geass unit. Well shame on me, then. :downs:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'll admit, I've only seen through the end of S1. Waiting on S2 to finish before I power through that. But I do remember Mika being very "win through extreme offense and aggression".

Like the snowfield fight or his general dislike for the blade because of it not meshing up with his aggressive barrel-through-and-smash preferences.

He takes some hits but he's also basically dodging the poo poo out of things at high speed. It's still extreme offense but that is something Focus helps with.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 10, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The most logical thing would be that Barbatos Full Power has a usage limit like old-school Raideen or SRX but they've shied away from that kind of mechanic for a long time.
One idea I had was that abusing Barbatos would cause Mika to take extra levels to learn Spirits. Or gradually increase their SP cost or something like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Is it? I don't think I've ever used a geass unit. Well shame on me, then. :downs:
iirc her spirit list in z2/z2.2 is

Strike
Invincible
Yell
Valor
Fury
Soul

also even if you hate geass suzaku is a good unit with cool animations, shame on you

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 10, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kallen is hilariously OP and Suzaku and Lelouch are both incredibly solid units, if just because Lelouch has all sorts of goofy mechanics and an insane MAPW.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Z2 was also a cakewalk, so you could use pretty much anyone you wanted.

I think if I was making a loadout for Mika it'd be like

Focus
Strike
Sure-Hit
Gain
Soul
Love

Logicblade fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 10, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

iirc her spirit list in z2/z2.2 is

Strike
Invincible
Yell
Valor
Fury
Soul

also even if you hate geass suzaku is a good unit with cool animations, shame on you

She had Guard and Guts (both of which were super cheap) over Yell and Fury. It's basically your standard Super Pilot, Real Robot thing but unlike someone like Gai from Nadesico Guren is actually good and works with Kallen's spirit set.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

poo poo, Z2.1 was almost 6 years ago. They didn't do it in any of the 3DS ones?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

poo poo, Z2.1 was almost 6 years ago. They didn't do it in any of the 3DS ones?

I meant more of a game-long one since every time he uses Barbatos at full power he gets a bit more crippled. SRW, understandably, has backed off from the "you lose a character forever" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh. Depends on how IBO goes. Overloading Barbatos doesn't seem like a thing they'll let you do at will, only for plot reasons, until they pull a "Mika's mastered the Barbatos' system!" out of their rear end like they did to unlock Unicorn Mode early.

Also, even if they did, penalizing him as a pilot for it seems dumb since it only affects him outside the machine. If anything his combat should improve since he's sinking more of his identity into Barbatos. But again the long-term consequences aren't clear in the show yet. What I'd realistically expect is more like a "use/don't use Full Barbatos X times by Chapter Y = 1 ending point". Or maybe a thing about voluntarily deploying Barbatos in specific missions like a tweak on J Zeorymer.

And on the subject of turn limits I forgot about Genion GAI in Z3.1, but that's not surprising because gently caress Genion GAI.

• Locked thread