Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Onmi posted:

Illuminating Comics. Yes though they've stopped the series after finishing Secret Wars.

But now for an actual badass panels

Is there some context that doesn't make this a bunch of random goofy poo poo and techno/time-gibberish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

Is there some context that doesn't make this a bunch of random goofy poo poo and techno/time-gibberish?

Well there is context but it doesn't make it not goofy techno/time gibberish

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Context: DC One Million is a fever dream of sweet, sweet time travel madness.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

redbackground posted:

Context: DC One Million is a fever dream of sweet, sweet time travel madness.

Fair enough. I feel like Grant Morrison's work doesn't really break down into snippets nicely. There's sort of a mood you have to sink into. I'm reading the Invisibles for the first time and read The Filth right beforehand and the little bits of continuity and consistency he builds in makes the wackiness work but if you just like show three panels of Sharon, The Bio-Ship in a void it's just dumb bullshit (instead of meticulously crafted bullshit).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

It's Morrison, so no.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Grant Morrison owns, DC One Million owns, All Star Superman owns

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sigma-X posted:

Fair enough. I feel like Grant Morrison's work doesn't really break down into snippets nicely. There's sort of a mood you have to sink into.

Definitely not as "serious" as most Morrison work, but I ran into that problem trying to post funny panels from JLI. The books as a whole are hilarious, but only when you let each little joke build on the others. You can't take panels or even pages out of context.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Uthor posted:

Definitely not as "serious" as most Morrison work, but I ran into that problem trying to post funny panels from JLI. The books as a whole are hilarious, but only when you let each little joke build on the others. You can't take panels or even pages out of context.

Granted, not written by Morrison, but one of the tie-ins. I thought this illustrated Uthor's post well.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I appreciate that the crux of that huge abstract cosmic scene is whether Superman is faster than a speeding bullet. Morrison knows what he's doing, even if he's the only one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

I appreciate that the crux of that huge abstract cosmic scene is whether Superman is faster than a speeding bullet. Morrison knows what he's doing, even if he's the only one.

Yet not as effective as that one time Terry McGinnis tried to outrun him in the Batmobile.

(Sorry folks, Morrison wackiness has never worked for me, always feels like he's either lost the even numbered pages of the script and decided to just use what's left, or like he's 3 or 4 drafts shy of being done but the deadline hit)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

purple death ray posted:

Grant Morrison owns, DC One Million owns, All Star Superman owns

Wrong, inconclusive, 100% correct.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

I might be able to help, from what I remember of DC One Million.

Basically, the JLA of the present is brought into the future, where the future version of our Superman, Superman Prime, has basically gone to live in the Sun and stuff. One of his old enemies, Solaris The Tyrant Sun, has decided to kill him with the last existing piece of Kryptonite, found on Mars. At this point in future time, J'onn has been missing for years, the Green Lanterns are gone, but heroism is still around and stuff.

Present JLA is trying to help Future JLA stop Solaris The Tyrant Sun from shooting the Sun with Kryptonite to kill Superman. Despite everything, they fail to stop Solaris The Tyrant Sun from firing his Kryptonite bullet into the heart of the Sun, supposedly about to poison Superman Prime and kill him.

Turns out, J'onn had this poo poo planned for years, and what everyone thought was Krytonite was the last Green Lantern Ring in disguise, hidden by J'onn on Mars years ago. Solaris The Tyrant Sun is all proud of himself, and then Superman Prime just reaches out with a massive Green Lantern hand, and smashes him, ending a time loop anti-assassination plan 83,000 years in the making.

Everything else is just future stuff trappings and poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Grant Morrison should have been the mastermind behind that Marvel 100 thing they did a few years back.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
gently caress He should have been the mastermind behind the Nu52. Certainly better than the poo poo we got.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lake of Fire #5.

Sir Raymond, a Crusader embittered by the pointless wars and slaughter he's been party to, finds his faith again and a lightsaber when AN ALIEN loving STARSHIP CRASHES INTO THE PLANET UNLEASHING A TIDE OF ALIEN MONSTERS!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 22, 2016

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lake of Fire #5.

Sir Raymond, a Crusader embittered by the pointless wars and slaughter he's been party to, finds his faith again and a lightsaber when AN ALIEN loving STARSHIP CRASHES INTO THE PLANET UNLEASHING A TIDE OF ALIEN MONSTERS!

I really like the detail that he says his cup runs over, instead of runneth over.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well thou either doeth the Thee and Thou Thing, or you do not.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Flesh Forge posted:

Well thou either doeth the Thee and Thou Thing, or you do not.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
doesn't he mean "neigh"

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
It's implied.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
From Mayhem #1.

The Mask was loving hardcore before it was a movie. :stare:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I remember getting my mom to buy me mask 0 after the movie came out and all the clerk said was are you sure you wanna get this its a lot different than the movie

It sure was comic store guy

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, my mum got me the trades of Mask and Mask Returns :)
Had no idea it was black and white before the collection.

Returns made me a fan of Doug Mahnke forever.

e: I'd have to go home and open up the old Dark Horse app to find any sweet Returns action sequences (I might still edit them in,) so I'll just post what's probably the most iconic comic cover of my childhood.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 6, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It kind of reminds me of the nuttier parts of Preacher, but with less shock-value jokes. I dig the living gently caress out of it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

From Mayhem #1.

The Mask was loving hardcore before it was a movie. :stare:

Stanley the Homicidal Maniac.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It kind of reminds me of the nuttier parts of Preacher, but with less shock-value jokes. I dig the living gently caress out of it.

Ennis definitely cribbed the poo poo out of Walter repeatedly. There's big slow-witted but unstoppable brutes in almost all of his books.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Even though this is petty sniping because John Byrne didn't like how another writer played with his toy, I've always enjoyed this as a great Doom moment.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There should be at least one goofy-dark comedy Doombots series imo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Doc Hawkins posted:

There should be at least one goofy-dark comedy Doombots series imo.

I would like to make a preorder for this plz

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Doombot from Avengers A.I. was pretty fun. Does anyone have the page where he rules Earth in the future?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Doombot from Avengers A.I. was pretty fun. Does anyone have the page where he rules Earth in the future?

I miss that series :(

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

X-O posted:

I miss that series :(
You know who else misses Avengers AI? Victor Mancha.

I got the Vision trades for Christmas, and it is pretty kickin' rad. Y'all should be reading this book.

I've spoiler-tagged it because even though it's from November last year, some folks may still be reading it.

- Vision #11

Squidster fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 9, 2017

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Was there any follow up with the Avengers themselves? They set up the whole situation that led to what you posted. Pretty hosed up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It would have worked out just fine if not for Victor's unknowable issues loving things up. But then again, sending the Hulk into space was a great idea on paper too...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Squidster posted:

You know who else misses Avengers AI? Victor Mancha.

I got the Vision trades for Christmas, and it is pretty kickin' rad. Y'all should be reading this book.

I've spoiler-tagged it because even though it's from November last year, some folks may still be reading it.

- Vision #11

Man I really regret making that wish that marvel remembered the Runaway's existed on that monkey's paw. They really love just dumping depressing arcs/plots on those kids' laps.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Vision is a great book but I really wish they'd gone a bit more into what a bunch of total shitheads the rest of the Avengers were being to Vision.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what this is from - One Punch Man in drag?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I see that comic a dozen times, and every time I still :psyduck: that Tony seriously thought Vision was just going to let him waltz up and slap a force-field on him. I know Tony can be dense because of his ego but jesus christ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I see that comic a dozen times, and every time I still :psyduck: that Tony seriously thought Vision was just going to let him waltz up and slap a force-field on him. I know Tony can be dense because of his ego but jesus christ.

I don't think Tony had any real idea of how far Vision had been pushed. Nobody did because Vision doesn't really show it and is normally fairly reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think Tony had any real idea of how far Vision had been pushed. Nobody did because Vision doesn't really show it and is normally fairly reasonable.

Except for that time he tried to take over the world