Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Kawabata posted:

i'm not, posters itt keep bringing them up when they compare part 3 to part 4

i'm glad you agree with me on how dumb those posts are, friend

You've brought up Koichi soiling himself a few times as an example of how part 4's writing has dipped in quality compared to 3, and buddy we're just saying that the pissy shitties have been there the entire time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
koichi is good

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

tap my mountain posted:

Please don't post tiny jotaro
look buddy he's trying his best and now i've got variations of "jojo's bizarre adventure hat sjw" making GBS threads up my search history and everyone had better appreciate that sacrifice

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

also :laffo: at 'SJWs ruining Jotaro' when Araki's version of Kenshiro is this

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

the tiny jotaro meltdown is funny but again, there is a middle ground between right and left imo. the guy on the right looks like it's another person, also a douche.

more importantly though, what is a pansexual and why would they have ruined jotaro

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Jotaro's preview for the part 6 adaptation got leaked extremely early

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why are these people making lovely comparisons between two completely different shots and using it to complain about gay people or something?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Because new things are always bad and it's fun to blame the oppressed.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Momomo posted:

Because new things are always bad and it's fun to blame the oppressed.

the pansexual thing is hilarious but jotaro suddenly going from 230 pounds to 170 is also pretty shocking

everyone drew big roided dudes in the 80s because that kind of look was popular and i completely understand araki feeling like he needed to change his style but it could've either kept jotaro body proportions as they were or adjusted them a bit

being 6.4 and huge was part of his paper thin tough guy personality, which is also faithfully reproduced in part 4, so it's weird that he looks like this now

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 9, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I do think Jotaro looks cooler in more shots in Part 3. Probably because of the art style.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

and girl (EmmyOk)

:mad:

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

It's not as if Araki just woke up one morning and decided, "I'm going to make Jotaro tiny now." I'm assuming based on your comments that you read part 3 but watched part 4, Kawabata? The anime uses an art style that's more characteristic of late part 4 than early part 4; when you read the manga itself, the change is pretty gradual and the super burly Jotaro and Josuke of early Part 4 look kind of ridiculous in retrospect.

e: for reference, this is from the first chapter of DiU:

Augus posted:

why are these people making lovely comparisons between two completely different shots and using it to complain about gay people or something?
idiot nerds desperate to prove that the thing they like is absolutely not gay, and everyone knows more beef = less gay

(also I am a girl too, probably to no one's surprise)

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 9, 2017

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kawabata posted:

the pansexual thing is hilarious but jotaro suddenly going from 230 pounds to 170 is also pretty shocking

everyone drew big roided dudes in the 80s because that kind of look was popular and i completely understand araki feeling like he needed to change his style but it could've either kept jotaro body proportions as they were or adjusted them a bit

being 6.4 and huge was part of his paper thin tough guy personality, which is also faithfully reproduced in part 4, so it's weird that he looks like this now

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

You don't deserve the rest of Jojo, friend.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

We need to spend less time talking about Tiny Jotaro and more time talking about Huge Koichi. Like, in early DiU he's drawn to be almost chest-height compared to the other dudes when he's not beineg bowled over by Jotaro and frankly it's disturbing

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Amaryllis posted:

It's not as if Araki just woke up one morning and decided, "I'm going to make Jotaro tiny now." I'm assuming based on your comments that you read part 3 but watched part 4, Kawabata? The anime uses the art style that's more characteristic of late part 4 than early part 4; when you read the manga itself, the change is pretty gradual and the super burly Jotaro and Josuke of early Part 4 look kind of ridiculous in retrospect.

e: for reference, this is from the first chapter of DiU:

So it's David that shrinked him so quickly and not Araki. Thanks for the image, it makes more sense now. It's hilarious that the thread is angry at anyone pointing out how small Jotaro gets from part 3 to 4 in spite of how jarring it is for the average viewer, considering his physical appearance is such an integral part to his "fist of the north star light" persona.

Also, I understand losing some detail from manga to anime is natural but part 3 didn't lose as much in my eyes. I remember a thread on reddit 2 or 3 years ago where someone was complaining about the latest animes losing detail in favor of more fluid animation/better cgi, is that even remotely close to what happened with Diamond is Unbreakable?

EDIT: to answer your question yes, I only read up to part 3.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

standard owl posted:

also :laffo: at 'SJWs ruining Jotaro' when Araki's version of Kenshiro is this

I like Ken's Prince tattoo that points directly at his dick

Kawabata posted:

Jotaro is still humongous in every shot where he's next to other characters

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Jotaro is allegedly 82 kg (~180 lb) while Kakyoin is supposed to be 65 kg (~145 lb) yet they're similarly buff; it's just that during part 3's run Araki was physically incapable of drawing non-muscle guys (or, like most mangaka/video game developers, is very bad at estimating how much humans weigh)

for reference, Jonathan is stated to be 105 kg (~230 lb), he just looks like he has 500 lb worth of muscle mass

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Kawabata posted:

It's hilarious that the thread is angry at anyone pointing out how small Jotaro gets from part 3 to 4

It's funnier that this is what you think is happening

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's funnier that this is what you think is happening

has anyone ever used yare yare daze in a post itt? because it's about to happen my friend

EDIT: yare yare daze.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Yarr Harr Days

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man am I glad this discussion happened and made my posts not the worst thing ever in this thread.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Jotaro is still humongous in every shot where he's next to other characters

Yeah, even in the new style Jotaro is still clearly a Big Guy™. The art evolution of Jojo just makes the whole thing a lot more interesting to look at, since you see a very clear progression of a guy who wants to improve his craft as he goes.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like Ken's Prince tattoo that points directly at his dick

He's gonna make you explode one way or another, also Jotaro reminds me of nerd McBain more and more

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
So after finishing the part 4 anime I jumped into the manga, and now I'm up to part 7. I just got to the scary monsters chapters, and i have to say, Dioraptor far surpasses Dioglampire.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Amaryllis posted:

garbage stand with useless user remains unsold, checks out

She was like "they're super cheap, do you want one" and I laughed really hard.

And yeah FYI that "back then/now/what the gently caress happened" image itself is a joke/fake (I feel like I saw somebody on twitter or tumblr saying 'I made that just to screw around') but it's one of those jokes that mirrors reality more closely than you'd like to think, which sucks.

There are some pockets of jojo fandom elsewhere that are really loving terrifying and anytime I'm foolish enough to tweet something easily searched or retweeted a decent amount I'm exposed to it and want to hide. Explain to me how jojo fans would be homophobic. I'm super confused by that

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
When I first read Jojo I stopped after part 3 cause part 4 looked "too gay" for me.

I was dumb as gently caress when I was a teenager

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

She was like "they're super cheap, do you want one" and I laughed really hard.

And yeah FYI that "back then/now/what the gently caress happened" image itself is a joke/fake (I feel like I saw somebody on twitter or tumblr saying 'I made that just to screw around') but it's one of those jokes that mirrors reality more closely than you'd like to think, which sucks.

There are some pockets of jojo fandom elsewhere that are really loving terrifying and anytime I'm foolish enough to tweet something easily searched or retweeted a decent amount I'm exposed to it and want to hide. Explain to me how jojo fans would be homophobic. I'm super confused by that

Well see, you are exactly like the media you consume, therefore, if the media you consume could be thought of as gay to people, then that also makes you gay.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

standard owl posted:

Gappy: estimated at late teens/early twenties

I mean in all ways that matter the answer is effectively "Just born".

e: Also I think you might want to go to the doctor Kawabata, those bad opinions might be a sign of serious head trauma.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 9, 2017

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

What if Gappy is the average age of his two halves

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Yeah I'm glad that that specific image is a fake but it's not much worse than the usual "I miss cheese wheel shoulders and hamon and people being not gay, like me, a person who is not gay" stuff.

(Also speaking of figures I have a Gappy SAS arriving in the mail this week as a belated present to myself and I already have Soft and Wet set up on my shelf and ready to be posed with that cool dude and I am very excited about my plastic toy mans. S&W is a super rad figure--probably my favourite one so far--but it's kind of weird that it comes with like 8 million hands and no accessories.)

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Alright, I was posting from my phone before and I can't be asked to find the quote to reply to, so here is why I said that "you are not the target audience tho" and why that isn't a weird thing to say.

1) Koichi is the audience surrogate character.
2) The target audience is mainly Japanese teenage boys. As the story continues, Koichi continues to grow and mature, and hopefully the audience will be able to connect with that, in a series that is partly about the characters maturing as they meet different challenges.
3) Sure, other people watch JoJo's all the time, but that doesn't really matter because it's not going to be made/written with your tastes or life experiences in mind unless you and Araki like roughly the same things.

And as someone else said, the series does grow along with the intended reader in mind, yeah, but I'm mostly just sick of people saying things like "Wow, Ash is always 12!" Yeah, almost as if Pokemon is a series for 12-year-olds, right? It's the same thing here, it's just that earlier Joestars are less supposed to be "relatable" and more people you aspire to be like, so we get more relatable side/main characters, no more matter how good (Koichi, Hayato) or bad (Anne...) they're implemented.

It just boggles me that, nevermind that it's not really a regular high school drama kind of thing anyway, someone who's 30+ (I'm also 30 btw) being like "what's this high school poo poo doing in my animes wtf" when the audience that it's actually for is in middle/high school. That and I don't really get annoyed when kids actually act their age, so Koichi (and a lot of characters) are more endearing to me, but whatever.

edit: Also Koichi's Stand is supposed to be like a cicada because of a haiku he learned in school once, but why are you so hung up on things being pokemon-like?

edit act 2: Yes, I know that the other JoJos don't really center around high school poo poo and they're more about exotic and weird locales, but for part 4 Araki wanted a more familiar setting. Regardless, it doesn't even have that much more highschool nonsense, even with Yukako because that's less High School Drama and more that she's an actual crazy person. So it doesn't really center much around high school anyway other than some other Stand users in town go to the same school. That's about it.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 9, 2017

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSofZ27KrrM

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

BaDandy posted:

edit: Also Koichi's Stand is supposed to be like a cicada because of a haiku he learned in school once, but why are you so hung up on things being pokemon-like?

Wait, do you have a source on this? It's the first time I've heard it and it sounds really interesting.

A quick google is just turning up one of his attack names in the fighting games, A Cicada's Cry Etched in Stone, which I assume is relevant to what you're talking about.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It could also very well be a reference to Cell, lookswise, but that's just what I took from when his Stand first appeared, and then it reminded him of that haiku, and then when it first gained new Acts it left its shell behind, like a cicada husk.

Plus with the sound powers...it just seemed like what they were going for, although Echoes being like a thing he read in school once versus it just reminding him of that could go either way.

e: but Cicada's Cry Etched In Stone is what I'm talking about, yeah.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm pretty sure Koichi himself says this when it first uses its power against Kobayashi.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Roach Warehouse posted:

Wait, do you have a source on this? It's the first time I've heard it and it sounds really interesting.

A quick google is just turning up one of his attack names in the fighting games, A Cicada's Cry Etched in Stone, which I assume is relevant to what you're talking about.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Thanks, I totally forgot about that. Rad.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Phone posting here, but basically my "issue" with parts 1-3 is that they're fundamentally about absurd caricatures fighting against enemies that are generally more humanoid obstacles than they are people. Like the most fleshed out villain in part 3 is basically hol horse. Dio is an absurd caricature like the heroes.

In part 4 we get a fleshing out on both sides. Josuke is more human than any previous JoJo, but someone like, say, Tamami feels more like a person than N'doul. And them being people, if really weird people, rather than obstacles shaped like people means that the relation between the characters can and does change over time.

Even the heel face turns in part 3 were not explained through who they were as people, but through them being freed from mind control.

I still like parts 1 to 3, but there's no doubt that araki has somewhat of a breakthrough when he lets the JoBros fight people with stands rather than stands with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Exercu posted:

Even the heel face turns in part 3 were not explained through who they were as people, but through them being freed from mind control.

I wouldn't say this is entirely true. It is for Kakyoin, but Polneraff clearly showed humility even with the bud, not stooping to doing surprise attacks after losing the fight.