Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

v2vian man posted:

yesterday my brother and i discussed one of my favorite topics, who on the browns would start/play significant time for other NFL teams. we said thomas, crowell, duke johnson, barnidge, pryor, coleman somewhat, then on defense basically haden, ogbah and demario davis maybe. six guys on offense, two or three on defense. they're so so bad

Haden is an injury riddled shell of a football player. I can't imagine him playing anywhere with Perish Cox out of a job. Shelton is a competent DT so he'd see at least rotational work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the browns have future nfl superstars Ibrahim Campbell and Dan "Superback" Vitale

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Haden is an injury riddled shell of a football player. I can't imagine him playing anywhere with Perish Cox out of a job. Shelton is a competent DT so he'd see at least rotational work.

I think Kirksey would also find starting work as an interior lb.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
yeah true. i think most teams would start haden but it's hard to tell. poor dude

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Febreeze posted:

Hey dudes can I come in also does anybody want a Bobby Rainey, we have one. No, nothing's wrong with him, trust me.

What did he do? Threaten to kill a girl via text again?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

What did he do? Threaten to kill a girl via text again?

Fielded the dumbest kickoff ever.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That poo poo was so hilariously terrible and there's a good chance it cost the Giants the game, since they were still only down 21-13 when he went OOB at the 3. At the very least, it was the turning point

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/C1r-U2rXcAIUdq7.mp4

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

if he had just gone out of bounds instead of toe tapping that would have been a KO OOB.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

if he had just gone out of bounds instead of toe tapping that would have been a KO OOB.

Only if he caught it or first touched it while OOB, though--he was still a yard or two away when he caught it so it wouldn't have been a penalty

We're making GBS threads on Rainey, but it's a really good kickoff--if you're Rainey, do you really risk not fielding it?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yes because it will go out of bounds and it will be a touch back or you get the ball at the 40 if it veers before the end zone.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hand Row posted:

Yes because it will go out of bounds and it will be a touch back or you get the ball at the 40 if it veers before the end zone.

counterpoint: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000767158/Jets-recover-own-kickoff-in-Bills-end-zone-for-touchdown

So not fielding it can be *very* risky

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 9, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
That's a huge swing in field position right there. What a dummy.

Nov 6, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Only if he caught it or first touched it while OOB, though--he was still a yard or two away when he caught it so it wouldn't have been a penalty

We're making GBS threads on Rainey, but it's a really good kickoff--if you're Rainey, do you really risk not fielding it?

It would have been fitting if he had pulled the Packers own trick on them by catching it OOB.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Yes I suppose completely ignoring the ball would be even worse.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

posting because of rivers' face

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
In a game of sorry mistakes the Bobby Rainey one was probably the actual worst. And then he was on the loving field for the next kickoff instead of fired into the sun. gently caress Bobby Rainey.

That and allowing the hail mary to happen were probably the two biggest punches to the team's spirit. At least the team sort of fought back from the hail mary, but once that kickoff happened the Giants were stuck in a corner with no chance of escape.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

That was also way closer to the middle of the field than the Giants one

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

the mean lunch lady posted:

That was also way closer to the middle of the field than the Giants one

totally true, that one was a much easier play for the Jets--but if you let it bounce and it doesn't go OOB, you have to be ready to fall on it in the end zone. One of the reasons the Jets recovered is that the Bills' returner didn't know the rule. You wanna bet on Bobby Rainey knowing what to do?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Febreeze posted:

In a game of sorry mistakes the Bobby Rainey one was probably the actual worst. And then he was on the loving field for the next kickoff instead of fired into the sun. gently caress Bobby Rainey.

That and allowing the hail mary to happen were probably the two biggest punches to the team's spirit. At least the team sort of fought back from the hail mary, but once that kickoff happened the Giants were stuck in a corner with no chance of escape.

The game was basically over already but Clay recovering that fumble when no one picked it up was amazing

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I dunno, I think he made a pretty good decision personally.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

v2vian man posted:

yesterday my brother and i discussed one of my favorite topics, who on the browns would start/play significant time for other NFL teams. we said thomas, crowell, duke johnson, barnidge, pryor, coleman somewhat, then on defense basically haden, ogbah and demario davis maybe. six guys on offense, two or three on defense. they're so so bad
Collins

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Some actual questions for folks in here to talk about team post mortem

Things that made you happy: Giants defense
Things that surprised you in a good way: Free Agency pickups basically lived up to contracts we thought outrageous at the time. At least far better than expected. Jackrabbit owns.
Things that surprised you in a bad way: The regression of the offense
Favorite Player this season: Landon loving Collins
Unsung hero:Honestly probably Brad Wing
Player you hated beyond belief this season: Ereck Flowers himself was probably 40% of the reason the offense regressed
Worst storyline about your team: God, all of them, drama surrounded the team this year. Josh Brown, Walkie Talkies, Beckham everything, even hints of deflategate 2
Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: McAdoo went for it on 4th down a lot and it frequently paid off but nobody really mentions it
Best win of the season: Cowboys round 2
Worst loss of the season: Green Bay wildcard round. Eli finally showed up and everyone else let him down, DRC's loss exposed a defense that gave up in the 4th
What the team needs to do this offseason:Offense. The defense finally feels good but now we need an NFL caliber tackle to replace Ereck Flowers (At least so we can shift Flowers over to RT at worst, where he's better suited). We need a real TE, Will Tye is not very good. Eli has always loved his tight ends as targets but we haven't had a valid one since Ballard left. We could also use an RB who isn't terrible. Paul Perkins showed flashes this season and will be a good change of pace guy, but vereen spent the whole year hurt and jennings sucks, so they can get the hell out. Also gently caress Bobby Rainey forever. better players will help the O, but the team also needs to work on playcalling better. Eli doesn't have much time left, fix that O for him.
Funniest moment of the season: JPP getting a pick 6 with 8 fingers
Do you have hope or despair for the future:actually, hope for once. The defense will stay mostly intact next year, which will allow Reese to focus on rebuilding the offense
Does anything actually matter: Nope, we shall all be dust

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Things that made you happy:
12-4 and playoffs? Dude
Things that surprised you in a good way: I thought Derek would have a down year for some dumb reason, and the Oline was as advertised.
Things that surprised you in a bad way: that defense is God awful
Favorite Player this season:
Derek Carr
Unsung hero:
Perry Riley Jr or Karl Joseph
Player you hated beyond belief this season: Austin Howard at RT

Worst storyline about your team:
Probably the move to Vegas
Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: maybe not unappreciated, but Del Rio won like 4 games in 4th down calls
Best win of the season: Broncos on MNF
Worst loss of the season: 2nd Chiefs game. Carr was hurt, the entire team (30+) was sick and they played like it in the field in an important divisional game
What the team needs to do this offseason:
Get healthy, address defense, fire the defensive coordinator, retain Mike Tice
Funniest moment of the season:
Probably Marquette King doing his thing
Do you have hope or despair for the future:
Hope. Beautiful, unadulterated hope
Does anything actually matter:
Not in the slightest

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

Dropping a couple touchdown passes was pretty terrible.

Nov 6, 2002

Febreeze posted:

Some actual questions for folks in here to talk about team post mortem

Things that made you happy: Giants defense
Things that surprised you in a good way: Free Agency pickups basically lived up to contracts we thought outrageous at the time. At least far better than expected. Jackrabbit owns.

This is the first time in a long time that a GM's desperation moves all paid off.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

This is the first time in a long time that a GM's desperation moves all paid off.

I dunno, I think Elway's moves the last few years paid off

Nov 6, 2002

He wasn't writing checks to avoid getting fired.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
No, he was writing checks because he knew Manning was running on empty.

Different kind of desperation I guess

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

gently caress flowers

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Things that made you happy: We beat LA, twice.
Things that surprised you in a good way: Opening the season by completely embarrassing the Rams.
Things that surprised you in a bad way: Not beating anybody except the Rams.
Favorite Player this season: Phil Dawson
Unsung hero: Tank Carradine is coming along pretty well.
Player you hated beyond belief this season: Torrey Smith was completely loving useless.
Worst storyline about your team: Even Ruth Bader Ginsburg, noted extremely liberal Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, criticized our very own 136 Million Dollar Man Colin Kaepernick (QB, erstwhile) for exercising his Constitutional right to kneel during the singing of The Star-Spangled Banner in order to protest and call attention to government inaction in the face of racially-linked police misconduct. (Although she later ate her words.)
Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: We actually showed up strong in the first quarter most games.
Best win of the season: Blowing out the Rams in Week 1.
Worst loss of the season: Getting blown out by the loving Bears in Week 13.
What the team needs to do this offseason: Hire a great GM and a solid player-development coach, draft well.
Funniest moment of the season: There was a lot of really amazing clownball; I really can't pick a favorite. Probably something during the Jets game.
Do you have hope or despair for the future: Hope, but not in the short term.
Does anything actually matter: No.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Things that made you happy: LeSean McCoy, splitting with the Patriots, Rex and Rob getting poo poo-canned
Things that surprised you in a good way: The offense turned out to be pretty good, especially considering we were missing Watkins for most of the season and Woods for some of it.
Things that surprised you in a bad way: The defense being horrible rather than mediocre
Favorite Player this season: LeSean McCoy. Shady was straight magic this year. A shame about the receivers and the defense being bad, because Shady alone had us (briefly) contending for a wild card.
Unsung hero: Zach Brown. Lorenzo Alexander's stat-line was flashier, but he was amazing at MLB. Always near the ball-carrier and fast enough to cover alright.
Player you hated beyond belief this season: Basically every "safety" who played in place of Aaron Williams. They were bad. Dishonorable mention to Ronald Darby, but I'm not sure how much of his regression was on bad coaching and safety play.
Worst storyline about your team: All the garbage about Tyrod Taylor. Is he the second coming of Jim Kelly? No, definitely not. Is he a good quarterback? Definitely yes. Cutting him will probably end up being one of the dumbest things the Bills have ever done, and they've done a poo poo load of really dumb things.
Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: Tyrod Taylor. I know he's appreciated on these boards, but a lot of Bills fans outside of here and people in the media take him lightly.
Best win of the season: Shutting out the Brady-less Patriots in Foxboro Week 4
Worst loss of the season: Getting torched by the Jets Week 2. It was embarrassing at the time, and it's only worse with hindsight.
What the team needs to do this offseason: Hire a good coach and establish a clear chain of command in the organization. Also depth. Our lovely depth, especially at WR and S, really hurt us.
Funniest moment of the season: Sad funny counts, right? 'Cause Rex promising to stop Jay Ajayi only for him to rush for 200+ yards a second time was funny in a sad way.
Do you have hope or despair for the future: The Bills are apparently hell-bent on dumping easily the best QB they've had since Jim Kelly retired, so I know only sad resignation.
Does anything actually matter: Everything changes. Except the Bills. They always disappoint me, even when my expectations are low.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Things that made you happy
The young corners stepping up and playing well was really nice to see. Losing Josh Norman who was really good in the system obviously hurt quite a bit in a division with such talented receivers and quarterbacks but to have rookies come in and play well was really nice.

Things that surprised you in a good way: Jonathan Stewart still has legs left and again the young secondary stepped up in a good way. Cam's drive to win and accountability was nice to see.

Things that surprised you in a bad way:
I knew the offensive line was going to be bad on the outside and I thought the team would have come up with some sort of plan to keep Cam safe. More no huddle, more creative sets, more designed roll outs and protection adjustments. Instead it was more of the same that allowed guys to tee off and 0 adjustment. I knew shula was a bad coordinator but I didnt think hed be so ignorant of the teams shortfalls especially after the superbowl last year.

Favorite Player this season: Thomas davis, dude probably cant spell quit. Absolute animal.

Unsung hero:
James Bradberry. Quietly might be the best rookie qb from the class and excels in the panthers system. Very solid in zone and man and didn't allow long balls. Could work on his hands a little but made some pass breakups he had no right to make.

Player you hated beyond belief this season:
The ofrensive tackles should be shot in the loving head outside the stadium and buried in a shallow grave so the team isnt tempted to trott them onto the field ever again.

Mike tolbert gets mention here because he went from being buff fat and super athletic to being slow and lazy. His inability to pick up the yards he used to and make those sneaky catches was a bigger problem than I thought it would be. He really was pivotal in Carolina.

Worst storyline about your team:
Smug cunts coming out to trash cam after less than stellar performances. His recievers often did him no favours. Two or three games went down becuase of bad drops. Im not talking about passes that Cam skied either there were more than one drive killed in scoring range because some idiot couldnt hold on to a ball hitting them in the hands.

Kelvin might eat himself out of the league and Funchess though he shows flashes is about as reliable as a flea market knock off rolex.

Ginn's speed and knack for catching a bomb was as exciting as it was disgusting when he bombed an easy one.

Panthers should look to upgrade here with a more dependable vet. If nothing else to have them in the room.

Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: the interior line play on both sides of the ball was pretty good. The issues obviously became the double teams because there was no outside help or talent on either side of the ball.

Best win of the season:

Redskins and Chargers. The team looked like they were having fun and played pretty well. Reminded me of last year.

Worst loss of the season:
The opener. Panthers played well until Denver started head hunting Cam and the refs allowed them to set the tone for the rest of the season.

Hit him high, hit him late, refs wont do poo poo.

What the team needs to do this offseason:
A good start would be to fire shula and promote Proehl. Failing that they need to bring in offensive line. I wouldnt care if they spent all their draft picks on tackles.
they also need pass rush help and possibly another running back and certainly a safety.

Protecting Cam and getting a pass rush going better is a must. The defense should be fine but if they dont find a way to keep Cam safe the season will be over before it begins.

Funniest moment of the season:
The go ahead massive bomb that Cam threw to Ginn where he didnt need to break stride. The stadium was silent.

Do you have hope or despair for the future:
I guess the starting of the free agency period and the draft will tell me all I need to know.

Does anything actually matter:

Ur mum

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Things that made you happy: Andy Dalton
Things that surprised you in a good way: Andy Dalton
Things that surprised you in a bad way: Cedric Ogbuehi
Favorite Player this season: Andy Dalton
Unsung hero: Andy Dalton
Player you hated beyond belief this season: Jeremy Hill
Worst storyline about your team: every storyline around D this team was completely deserved.
Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: Andy Dalton
Best win of the season: vs Philly
Worst loss of the season: vs Pittsburgh, the second time
What the team needs to do this offseason: find an RT who can actually play. Find a starting RB who can outplay the corpse of Jeremy Hill. Stop signing washed up vets. Start scouting for a new coach for 2018. Resign Kevin Zeitler and Whitworth
Funniest moment of the season: Bullock missing that field goal in Houston.
Do you have hope or despair for the future: next season hopefully will be better but honestly I hope it's another bad year so Marvin finally gets canned.
Does anything actually matter: Andy Dalton

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Things that made you happy: The team having the mental fortitude to hang in so many close games and come out on top, especially after how their first four games went. Having a four-game Thanksgiving winning streak after having people talk for years about how Detroit didn't deserve their only worthwhile game all year.
Things that surprised you in a good way: See the first answer above. Stafford looking like a legit MVP QB until his finger injury. All of our old WR FA signings actually doing well.
Things that surprised you in a bad way: Further regression of the defense. Even further regression of the run game.
Unsung hero: Matt Prater. He's not completely unsung but this team is well under .500 without him. Plus he was straight-up bad last year and really turned it around.
Player you hated beyond belief this season: Eric Ebron. We cut one first-round TE with stone hands this year (Pettigrew), your rear end is on notice. "Most frustrating" goes to Deandre Levy, though it pains me to say it.
Worst storyline about your team: Losing three primetime games in a row to close out the year (including playoffs) and having to hear about how Detroit isn't ready for primetime. Especially with how badly they melted down in the WC.
Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: Jim Caldwell seeming to learn from his mistakes in prior seasons, WC game notwithstanding. I felt that there was better playcalling and the team was a little more aggressive than it's been before. I also feel he was at least partially responsible for the team's mental toughness in all of those close wins.
Best win of the season: vPHI (saved the season) or @NO (most complete win)
Worst loss of the season: vTEN (easily winnable game that got away from us and ended up mattering) or vGB (duh)
What the team needs to do this offseason: Quinn needs another solid draft like last year, focusing on linemen (both sides) and linebackers. A good RB or TE (note: MUST BE ABLE TO CATCH THE BALL) wouldn't hurt either. He also needs to put Caldwell on notice that just because he's entering the final year of his contract doesn't mean he's guaranteed an extension, and Caldwell has to prove he's good by NFL coaching standards, not just by Lions coaching standards. Banged-up guys need to heal up, especially Levy, Stafford, and Swanson.
Funniest moment of the season: Me watching the end of that Eagles game with my Eagles fan neighbors.
Do you have hope or despair for the future: Neither. Despite all of the logical improvements this team could make in the offseason I am going to assume that they will suck until such a time comes where I am proven wrong.
Does anything actually matter: lol nothing matters

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Things that made you happy:
Jordan Howard owns
Things that surprised you in a good way: Leonard Floyd is good, Cam Meredith is an actual NFL player
Favorite Player this season: Howard
Unsung hero: The Heroic Daniel Braverman, if only he would put in a game to record a Stat
Player you hated beyond belief this season: Everyone on this team is bad
Worst storyline about your team: Anything about Jay Cutler. I'm loving sick of Jay Cutler takes. Jesus christ, the Cutler takes. No, Matt Barkley is not better than Jay Cuter.
Best win of the season: Owning Minnesota on MNF after a spate of national games where the Bears were scraped out of whatever arena they got clobbered in. Or, one of their other two wins.
Worst loss of the season: JOHN FOX YOU DUMB loving COWARD WHY WOULDN'T YOU RUN IT TWICE, WE ALL KNEW RODGERS WOULD DO THAT
Funniest moment of the season: The time I went to a game and saw Barkley throw five interceptions and there were like 5,000 people left at the end and everyone was completely disgusted. RUNNER UP: Any time the Bears did something competently and irritated other teams.
Do you have hope or despair for the future: The Bears are hosed for the forseeable future, the only thing I can hope for is that Aaron Rodgers finds a higher calling than professional football and retires to a life of wealth and comfort and not ruining the sport by being impossibly good. I can't imagine the Bears actually acquiring a good quarterback.
Does anything actually matter: Northwestern football matters.

GOODBYE MY SAINTLY PRINCE

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 10, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

huh, daryl washington says he's hopeful to get reinstated next year. this is the first time he's said anything in like 4 years

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Things that made you happy: Andy Dalton
Things that surprised you in a good way: Andy Dalton
Things that surprised you in a bad way: Cedric Ogbuehi
Favorite Player this season: Andy Dalton
Unsung hero: Andy Dalton
Player you hated beyond belief this season: Jeremy Hill
Worst storyline about your team: every storyline around D this team was completely deserved.
Most unappreciated aspect to the team this year by everyone: Andy Dalton
Best win of the season: vs Philly
Worst loss of the season: vs Pittsburgh, the second time
What the team needs to do this offseason: find an RT who can actually play. Find a starting RB who can outplay the corpse of Jeremy Hill. Stop signing washed up vets. Start scouting for a new coach for 2018. Resign Kevin Zeitler and Whitworth
Funniest moment of the season: Bullock missing that field goal in Houston.
Do you have hope or despair for the future: next season hopefully will be better but honestly I hope it's another bad year so Marvin finally gets canned.
Does anything actually matter: Andy Dalton
I'm pretty sure Marvin is gone after next year regardless.

I want Fisher at RT more, he has promise.

Rest of this, agreed.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

oh of course, don't know why i forgot him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

TheChirurgeon posted:

totally true, that one was a much easier play for the Jets--but if you let it bounce and it doesn't go OOB, you have to be ready to fall on it in the end zone. One of the reasons the Jets recovered is that the Bills' returner didn't know the rule. You wanna bet on Bobby Rainey knowing what to do?

yes, that's why you put him on the field

• Locked thread