Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

Maybe I whine a little less than some because I never saw the spoiler trailer.

I was just like this is gonna be a cool as heck Tarantino joint

It's also mentioned on the DVD case and the DirecTV movie summary and the Netflix summary for both the movie and the TV show so I don't think it's supposed to be a twist just goons being armchair editors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've never seen it but after reading the wiki article on it it sorta seems like it was supposed to be a kinda of twist? How long does it take before the vampires actually hit the screen?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Around 45 minutes or so

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For what it's worth, I saw From Dusk Till Dawn blind and loved the "twist".

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Any complaints about new Star Wars movies can be resolved by realizing the original Star Wars were also not good movies.

Why expect any Star Wars movie (originals included) to have deep emotion or character development or anything other than a light-hearted adventure story with lasers?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

I've never seen it but after reading the wiki article on it it sorta seems like it was supposed to be a kinda of twist? How long does it take before the vampires actually hit the screen?

There's half of a heist film before they hit mexico vampire grande especial

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inzombiac posted:

For what it's worth, I saw From Dusk Till Dawn blind and loved the "twist".

Same here. I went in thinking it was a heist turned kidnapping like Reservoir Dogs and, though I was certainly waiting for everything to go tits up, the vampires took me by total surprise.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I caught Ginger Snaps on tv the first time I saw it. Yeah that came out of nowhere.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

They adapt to everything pretty quickly. The Tommy gun in the holodeck worked because the Borg weren't expecting it, not because bullets have any special quality. The only thing they don't appear able to adapt to is blunt force trauma, but applying that to the Borg has its own problems.

In the MMO there was a chance to get the shotgun from Mirror Cochraine.

Turns out that - just like Vulcans - borg don't adapt to it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Same here. I went in thinking it was a heist turned kidnapping like Reservoir Dogs and, though I was certainly waiting for everything to go tits up, the vampires took me by total surprise.

Then you wanted to lick mescal off a toe

Admit it

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

MonoAus posted:

Any complaints about new Star Wars movies can be resolved by realizing the original Star Wars were also not good movies.

Why expect any Star Wars movie (originals included) to have deep emotion or character development or anything other than a light-hearted adventure story with lasers?

People who want that are wrong. The originals were fun space adventures for children with likable characters and that's not a high bar to pass when you have the resources of Disney available. Yet, they didn't.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I caught Ginger Snaps on tv the first time I saw it. Yeah that came out of nowhere.

They are lesbian werewolves, right?
I used to see it Blockbuster all the time but could never bring myself to spend money on it.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

MonoAus posted:

Oddly enough I disagree with your first paragraph and agree with the second.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Inzombiac posted:

They are lesbian werewolves, right?
I used to see it Blockbuster all the time but could never bring myself to spend money on it.

No, they're sisters. The lesbian thing is in the sequel.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

There isn't an IITVM thread so I'm posting this here, i hate in brooklyn nine nine when terry says things about himself in the third person. i have nothing more to add, it just infuriates me and i don't think it's funny

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think even if you are "spoiled" on the Dusk til Dawn twist there is still enough to be surprised/entertained by in the way they do it. I mean, when you hear "this is a vampire" movie you don't know what you're going to get - it could be the oldschool well-dressed ones with giant fangs, hot ones in spandex suits like in underworld, sparkly ones, who knows. There aren't many movies in my opinion that knowing the big twist/reveal in advance totally ruins the experience (unless the movie already ruins it before and after the twist by virtue of being terrible, like The Happening).

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

dordreff posted:

There's a slight difference between "died naturally in comfort and happiness" and "lived a life of slavery and abuse and was raped to death, all of which was easily preventable"

sure but anikin very clearly can not handle death at all

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Life did not stand still on Tatooine while Anakin was with the Jedi. His mother became free, had a new family, and was happy. She died horrifically, but bad things happen that we can't control. Her slavery was not the thing that scarred Anakin. It's the wrong thing to focus on.

The people who come away thinking that she should have been saved and sheltered and "kept safe" for the next 10, 20, 50 years haven't learned the lesson Anakin needed to.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Your mother is a woman with her own wants and needs and a life apart from you, and one day she will die.

sassassin has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Jan 9, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's still one of the problems that could have been easily solved and it didn't because of no reason. Lucas clearly wanted to take the extra step and show that she died in terrible conditions. It's like the arbitrary rule about how Padme cannot marry or whatever because she's a senator?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

It's still one of the problems that could have been easily solved and it didn't because of no reason. Lucas clearly wanted to take the extra step and show that she died in terrible conditions. It's like the arbitrary rule about how Padme cannot marry or whatever because she's a senator?

The problem of her slavery was easily solved. She was free at the time of her death, and had been for years.

Why didn't Anakin specifically solve the problem? Because he's a space monk with no possessions and is being taught to let go of all attachment. And the Jedi are not here to free slaves.

Why didn't Padme? Because she wasn't a part of Anakin's life for a decade after that little parade.

Lucas went "the extra step" to have her die horribly because Anakin's whole arc is based on stopping horrible things from happening (to people he cares about), not simply slavery.

There is no rule in the films that senators can't get married. She's a public figure and marrying a Jedi would be a big deal that would ruin both their lives/careers.

sassassin has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jan 9, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I wish I could just wish these Star Wars prequels away.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bates posted:

People who want that are wrong. The originals were fun space adventures for children with likable characters and that's not a high bar to pass when you have the resources of Disney available. Yet, they didn't.

I think they did and R1 and Force Awakens were both rad as hell.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Slavery wasn't the problem, because she wasn't one, and even Anakin figured out that Tatooine wasn't the issue, or else simply uplifting her to a peaceful planet would have done the trick (and no peaceful planet ever gets invaded by droid armies or anything).

If every character did their best to save Shmi she could still be hit by a bus and die in Anakin's arms and he'd end up choking his pregnant wife over a volcano, because Anakin is a loon and he was taught by idiots.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MariusLecter posted:

I wish I could just wish these Star Wars prequels away.

It's easier to learn to enjoy them. They've got cultural staying power.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's hard because they are so boring. I remember even liking the second one when I saw it at theaters but I think I just liked seeing Natalie portman's mid riff.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Breakfast Burrito posted:

There isn't an IITVM thread so I'm posting this here, i hate in brooklyn nine nine when terry says things about himself in the third person. i have nothing more to add, it just infuriates me and i don't think it's funny

This opinion is wrong and you should feel bad. Terry Crews for president 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also I hate Batman Begins because of how it shoves the "FEAR" theme down your throat every chance it gets.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

This opinion is wrong and you should feel bad. Terry Crews for president 2020

See like i 100 percent agree with this and love both Terry the character and Terry Crewes, but every time he says "Terry loves ____" it just makes me cringe my eyeballs out

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

sassassin posted:

It's easier to learn to enjoy them. They've got cultural staying power.

That must be why Disney has painstakingly avoided 99.9% of the things that ever happened in them.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think even if you are "spoiled" on the Dusk til Dawn twist there is still enough to be surprised/entertained by in the way they do it. I mean, when you hear "this is a vampire" movie you don't know what you're going to get - it could be the oldschool well-dressed ones with giant fangs, hot ones in spandex suits like in underworld, sparkly ones, who knows. There aren't many movies in my opinion that knowing the big twist/reveal in advance totally ruins the experience (unless the movie already ruins it before and after the twist by virtue of being terrible, like The Happening).

I was spoiled on the twist but I still loved it. Also the movie is old enough that neither Underworld nor Twilight existed yet, so the idea of sexy vampires in skin-tight bodysuits or sparkly high-school angst golems wasn't something that had crossed anyone's mind yet.

A lot of movies were designed by their creators to have a twist that was subsequently spoiled by the marketing people. Just because it's on the box and in the trailer doesn't mean the writer, director, and producers wanted it that way; they don't have much say in what the marketing department does.

In Terminator 2, you weren't really supposed to know Arnold was the good guy this time until the shootout at the mall where he grabs John and saves his life, and supposedly if you actually managed to go in blind only having seen the first movie and none of the "HEY LOOK HE'S A GOOD DUDE NOW" trailers it was loving amazing.

I never imagined that Predator was supposed to be a surprise twist, but I guess if you skip the spaceship scene it could be pretty effective.

On topic, I hate Simon's terrible fake German accent in Die Hard with a Vengeance.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nutsngum posted:

That must be why Disney has painstakingly avoided 99.9% of the things that ever happened in them.

This isn't true at all.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sassassin posted:

This isn't true at all.

Please name all non-Jimmy Smits prequel connections/references in The Force Awakens and Rogue One.

I can't believe people have actually convinced themselves the prequels are good. CineD is a loving crime against humanity.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

WampaLord posted:

Please name all non-Jimmy Smits prequel connections/references in The Force Awakens and Rogue One.

I can't believe people have actually convinced themselves the prequels are good. CineD is a loving crime against humanity.

Now say something about kids these days!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I was spoiled on the twist but I still loved it. Also the movie is old enough that neither Underworld nor Twilight existed yet, so the idea of sexy vampires in skin-tight bodysuits or sparkly high-school angst golems wasn't something that had crossed anyone's mind yet.

A lot of movies were designed by their creators to have a twist that was subsequently spoiled by the marketing people. Just because it's on the box and in the trailer doesn't mean the writer, director, and producers wanted it that way; they don't have much say in what the marketing department does.

In Terminator 2, you weren't really supposed to know Arnold was the good guy this time until the shootout at the mall where he grabs John and saves his life, and supposedly if you actually managed to go in blind only having seen the first movie and none of the "HEY LOOK HE'S A GOOD DUDE NOW" trailers it was loving amazing.

I never imagined that Predator was supposed to be a surprise twist, but I guess if you skip the spaceship scene it could be pretty effective.

On topic, I hate Simon's terrible fake German accent in Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Counterpoint nobody has provided a link saying FDTD was supposed to be a twist with surprise vampires. I've tried to google it and came up empty.

With Terminator 2 that may have been but I saw the second well before the first, and long after the marketing, and at no point did Arnold ever strike me as bad guy. He shows up naked, bad to the bone plays, there whimsical slapstick at a bar. Now compare that with the T-1000 where the music is menacing and he certainly isn't a whimsical slapsticky guy. Going in completely blind to T2 does not give the impression goons think it does.

Edit:

WampaLord posted:

It makes sense for TFA to not mention the prequels since it takes place what nearly 50 years after Revenge? Rogue One I haven't seen but isn't it about a specops team infiltrating a base or some poo poo? Doesn't really strike me as the movie to go "Oh! And this is how the fall of the Republic is still rippling through the universe today" they aren't government people, they aren't fancy peace negotiating Jedi, they're just regular soldier types.

Len has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jan 9, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Counterpoint nobody has provided a link saying FDTD was supposed to be a twist with surprise vampires. I've tried to google it and came up empty.

With Terminator 2 that may have been but I saw the second well before the first, and long after the marketing, and at no point did Arnold ever strike me as bad guy. He shows up naked, bad to the bone plays, there whimsical slapstick at a bar. Now compare that with the T-1000 where the music is menacing and he certainly isn't a whimsical slapsticky guy. Going in completely blind to T2 does not give the impression goons think it does.

It does if you watched Terminator and somehow never heard of anything after. You know he's a bad guy in the original. Now here's here again and OH poo poo HE HAS A SHOTGUN!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Len posted:

Try watching the movie?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

It does if you watched Terminator and somehow never heard of anything after. You know he's a bad guy in the original. Now here's here again and OH poo poo HE HAS A SHOTGUN!

It worked on me.

And whether it worked perfectly if you saw trailers or not the scene where he whips John around and blows holes in the T-1000 and then Robert Patrick just starts doing the Robert Patrick run while emptying into him was awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

Try watching the movie?

Doesn't mean anything? I have seen it but just because there's vampires halfway through doesn't mean it was supposed to be The Adventures of George Clooney and his rapist brother.

Plus break it down, a special effects guy who looks to do mostly horror hired Tarantino to write it and then Robert "Master of Subtlety" Rodriguez directed it. Maybe the documentary the movie comes with says otherwise but until I see something other than goons going "It's a surprise twist" I'm gonna keep on keepin' on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
At this point, people who watch the original Terminator after seeing 2, 3 and MAYBE Genisys will probably be confused that Arnold's acting like a bad guy in it. In some ways, i wonder if Genisys is just a way to subconsciously retcon 'bad Arnold T-800 from T1' out of the continuity so everyone can go with "He's ALWAYS been a hero character."

As for From Dusk Till Dawn, this is the original trailer as I remember to the best of my knowledge from the 90s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNuIn4T-CLk
Which was pretty clear about what sort of movie it was. Now, it's maybe possible that it was the studio cutting a trailer with the twist revealed because they thought promoting it for what it was (a horror movie with a slow gangster start up) was going to get more people into a theater being happy with what they were getting than 'tricking' a bunch of people to come to a gangster movie that pissed off audiences who didn't want or expect to see a sudden vampire flick.

I wonder if the 'twist' thing has exploded more because despite the relatively big push the film in terms of advertising, it did relatively weak business when it came out in 1996. Many people who have seen the film since then likely saw it well after any of the ads and promotion and talk about it were long since vanished from their minds (or if they generally ignored horror movies). So it's possible you'd have this huge population who found it via TV and home video who got lulled into this desert-based gangster flick early in the film and having it go on so long that nothing about the bar seems out of the ordinary until it openly becomes vampire city and becomes this huge twist. It might become a trend of people who always sort of thought that was the intention as the result because that's how they saw it.

I guess as a good point of reference along those lines, my interest in keeping up with film trailers and scoops is nowhere near were it was years ago, so looking at movies that did around the same amount of business as FDTD that came out last year I'd be hard pressed myself to remember many/any details of their advertising campaign if I were watching them cold today.