Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Shovel Knight was absolutely incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Shovel Knight race was dope, can't wait to see some races of Specter of Torment when it comes out eventually

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
With the thread split this thread is going to be very quiet during the graveyard shift, but I'll try to post my thoughts on runs for you all!

Tbh I can never keep up with the GDQ threads so maybe this is for the best.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

God drat, the Shovel Knight run was truly absurd. 6 seconds apart was absolutely ridiculous.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

AccountingNightmare posted:

With the thread split this thread is going to be very quiet during the graveyard shift, but I'll try to post my thoughts on runs for you all!

Tbh I can never keep up with the GDQ threads so maybe this is for the best.

Well yea, that's why I like the split, I can come here in the morning and maybe find some good recommendations without wading through 600 posts.

I'll try my best too to give some info on good ones I've seen.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

We've got a soft lock in Mega Man 1!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Props to the softlocked dude for playing it out and not just dropping. Dude's got a chance to play Mega Man in front of 180k people and he's not gonna waste it.

e: "All three players with nineteens!" :negative:

Geight fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 9, 2017

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Super Mario Kart is neck and neck now, that's crazy

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
What's this transparent quake water bullshit?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Does alternating between console and PC all the time increase the setup time much?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Geight posted:

Does alternating between console and PC all the time increase the setup time much?

I thought they did it because it reduces setup time? That is, they switch between a setup that the computers are connected to and a setup the consoles get to connected to.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Was that the first "That never happened before" of AGDQ2017?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Geight posted:

There was one during the Pre-Stream, a TV stopped working.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

That's almost too good to be true.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I hate that the schedule doesn't have blocks anymore. Also how good is the first DMC for speedrunning?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Just got off work, any particularly noteworthy runs (besides Shovel Knight as I can see at the top of the page)?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Trash Boat posted:

Just got off work, any particularly noteworthy runs (besides Shovel Knight as I can see at the top of the page)?

MegaMan race is dece

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I've (surprisingly) enjoyed all runs so far with maybe the exception of Mario Kart which was a bit dull, probably because they had to get last minute backup commentators.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Trash Boat posted:

oot 3d was great.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

abraxas posted:

I've (surprisingly) enjoyed all runs so far with maybe the exception of Mario Kart which was a bit dull, probably because they had to get last minute backup commentators.
No the Mario Kart race was dull because 5 laps apiece of every track with zero interaction with anything on screen is incredibly dull. Commentary was decent and did what they could.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

This DMC runner was the first guy I've seen have an earnestly excited reaction to a huge donation, usually the runner is too zoned in to really acknowledge it

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Geight posted:

Is that counting in-run stuff? One was dropped during Borderlands and the Psychonauts guy said it about how many baby cutouts popped up in the punching game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mango sentinel posted:

I hate that the schedule doesn't have blocks anymore. Also how good is the first DMC for speedrunning?

They have a couple blocks still, though I think they want to get some of the more popular games out of the way on Sunday.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This is hella subjective but are there any runs that sound like they might be "landmark" runs? For example, last year there was that insane run where a guy did the hardest levels of Catherine by himself, in two player mode, with two controllers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The tetris grandmaster run, the original one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, and pj's all items super ghouls and ghosts run might be the most incredible run of questionable luck in any gdq

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, and pj's all items super ghouls and ghosts run might be the most incredible run of questionable luck in any gdq

Haven't seen that one, gonna need a link.

Argue posted:

This is hella subjective but are there any runs that sound like they might be "landmark" runs? For example, last year there was that insane run where a guy did the hardest levels of Catherine by himself, in two player mode, with two controllers.

Yeah, that was pretty nuts.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Man this runner really lives up to his name, it's always kind of a drag when a runner knows so little about the game they're playing outside of mechanics.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Haven't seen that one, gonna need a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcwOiesWF4 about 18:30 is where it gets fun.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Argue posted:

I feel like people leave out the part of that where 2-player Catherine is easier than solo Catherine, but whatever very few people played that game let alone ran it.

Like don't get me wrong it was a great run and his pace through those stages was shockingly adept for two bloody controllers but part of that run is intentionally misleading to look good

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I feel like people leave out the part of that where 2-player Catherine is easier than solo Catherine, but whatever very few people played that game let alone ran it.

Like don't get me wrong it was a great run and his pace through those stages was shockingly adept for two bloody controllers but part of that run is intentionally misleading to look good

It's only easier in that the stages are shorter (and not bugged). It is still insane.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Argue posted:

Catechumen and Batman Forever of course

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After a (short) nights' sleep, anything good since Mega Man race?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Resident Evil Zero: Puppy mode.

sadly the puppy's doing better commentary than the runner really did.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The Silent Hill 4 run was surprisingly chill and enjoyable. Props to the runner.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Blattdorf posted:

The Silent Hill 4 run was surprisingly chill and enjoyable. Props to the runner.

yeah it was real good, i enjoyed it

im looking forward to the turing test, mainly because i have never heard of it before and am curious what it is (probs a puzzle game)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

hello everyone this is fearFEAR

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

boy are my arms tired posted:

im looking forward to the turing test, mainly because i have never heard of it before and am curious what it is (probs a puzzle game)

Yeah, it's a puzzle game. Think Portal-esque in format but more direct puzzles ("simpler" is a relative term, but you just need to think with line-of-sight, not portals). I grabbed it during the winter sale, knocked it out in 4 hours, and enjoyed myself more for the framing story than for the puzzles, but they didn't detract from the experience.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
A message to future watchers who might be interested in watching runs you've missed over the evening, turn your volume down or off for the first fifteen minutes or so of FEAR if you plan on watching it. Someone on couch crew decided to try and spice things up by attempting to blow out their mic by randomly yelling loudly.

E: Okay, they started running out of steam after 15 minutes, but 20 minutes in they're still trying, bless their little heart.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Shady Amish Terror posted:

A message to future watchers who might be interested in watching runs you've missed over the evening, turn your volume down or off for the first fifteen minutes or so of FEAR if you plan on watching it. Someone on couch crew decided to try and spice things up by attempting to blow out their mic by randomly yelling loudly.

WOAH the penetrator ROLLIN

• Locked thread