Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I was thinking that along with cook at X temp for medium rare, x temp for safety in fish, etc. like a cooks list more than the USDA recommendation.

Funny enough, amazingribs.com gives away a pretty good fridge magnet with one of the remote probe BBQ thermometer sets they recommend. You can probably get it by itself. It has good granular detail, does stuff like separate tough barbecue cuts from regular tender ones, for instance it recommends you get a pork shoulder much hotter than chops (so it breaks down all the connecting fibers). It's a good size too, about half of an 8.5" by 11".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm having a hard time sifting through all the seitan recipes out there to get a feel for making seitan. Does anyone have a brief overview of the basic technique? Like, ratio of vital wheat gluten:water, how much formation of gluten to look for at various stages, etc.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rurutia posted:

I'm having a hard time sifting through all the seitan recipes out there to get a feel for making seitan. Does anyone have a brief overview of the basic technique? Like, ratio of vital wheat gluten:water, how much formation of gluten to look for at various stages, etc.
he big choices are bake, simmer, or steam. I usually simmer because that makes it very juicy and you can flavor the broth. The water you need varies a bit depending on how humid it is, etc. but usually it's about 1/2 to 3/4 as much by volume as the gluten. Once you knead it for just a minute or two it'll be gluteny as hell so you don't really need to do anything special.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I have a question about a cooking technique

I was reading internet comic in my language and come across a strip that teaches lazy students how to make caramel custard pudding (it's a Thai comic). At one panel it asks to put the cups (covered in foil) containing the custard into a frying pan, in which there is already a kitchen towel with some water. And this is how the comic cooks the custard. I looked up other videos of making custard with this technique and found this video, which showed this process:

My question is, is there a name for this method of 'steaming'? Can I use this to 'steam' other recipes?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That's more like a double-boiler. You aren't steaming the custards as much as cooking them gently by using indirect heat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

toanoradian posted:

I have a question about a cooking technique

I was reading internet comic in my language and come across a strip that teaches lazy students how to make caramel custard pudding (it's a Thai comic). At one panel it asks to put the cups (covered in foil) containing the custard into a frying pan, in which there is already a kitchen towel with some water. And this is how the comic cooks the custard. I looked up other videos of making custard with this technique and found this video, which showed this process:

My question is, is there a name for this method of 'steaming'? Can I use this to 'steam' other recipes?

I'm not aware of any specific name for the technique, but it's fairly common for cooking custards in ramekins, the idea is that the towel gets saturated with water and defuses the heat that would otherwise directly come from the pan which would cause the custards to cook unevenly and some parts to be over or under cooked. There is probably a french name for it, the french name everything.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's like a questionable bain-marie

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
When my girlfriend makes Creme Brulee, she does something similar using the oven. She'll place the ramekins full of custard into a deep baking tray, fill the tray with some water, then bake it for 40 minutes. I believe the water is also supposed to stop the custard from getting too hot and curdling.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gerblyn posted:

When my girlfriend makes Creme Brulee, she does something similar using the oven. She'll place the ramekins full of custard into a deep baking tray, fill the tray with some water, then bake it for 40 minutes. I believe the water is also supposed to stop the custard from getting too hot and curdling.

I do the same when I make egg custard.

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013
What should I put on my cheese plate?

I'm making a cheese plate for two people as a meal but I'm not sure what to include.

I'm thinking of pairing with a bottle of red wine, maybe Cabernet Sauvignon?? (and could use recommendations on that too).

I'm looking to spend about $50 total, including for wine and accompaniments.

Don't want to include: blue/super duper stinky cheese

Do want: green olives, maybe some sort of fruit preserve? I also like really salty cheeses.

I have a Whole Foods near me that is great but always packed so it's hard to really take my time and chill with the cheese guys there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I cooked a whole chicken in my pressure cooker, and on a whim I kept the leftover liquid, strained it, and put it in the fridge, and now I have a bunch of chicken jelly that's all like *boingy boingy boingy*. What are some cool things I can do with this, other than play catch?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Sea Pancake posted:

I'm making a cheese plate for two people as a meal but I'm not sure what to include.

I'm thinking of pairing with a bottle of red wine, maybe Cabernet Sauvignon?? (and could use recommendations on that too).

I'm looking to spend about $50 total, including for wine and accompaniments.

Don't want to include: blue/super duper stinky cheese

Do want: green olives, maybe some sort of fruit preserve? I also like really salty cheeses.

I have a Whole Foods near me that is great but always packed so it's hard to really take my time and chill with the cheese guys there.

If you dont mind it being a baked dish for a cheese plate, soft buttery rolls with some jam and melted brie is the best goddam thing. Also rhubarb.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sea Pancake posted:

I like your Cab Sauv idea for the wine, that's my go-to "I want red wine now" varietal. Pretty much any red would work, a Malbec or a Syrah/Shiraz or a Valpolicella would also be good with a cheese plate, in my opinion.

I like a bit (or a lot) of starch with my meals, so a nice crusty loaf of bread (something vaguely French or Italian) or a selection of crackers might be good. A few different olives would be fun, too.

Shine posted:

I cooked a whole chicken in my pressure cooker, and on a whim I kept the leftover liquid, strained it, and put it in the fridge, and now I have a bunch of chicken jelly that's all like *boingy boingy boingy*. What are some cool things I can do with this, other than play catch?
I used a similar chicken-liquid-jelly as the chicken broth in a pilaf recipe a couple of weeks ago. Just add it to any recipe that calls for chicken broth at 1:1, or with a little water added. It will liquify once heated (as you presumably know) and once mixed with other stuff (rice, other grains, vegetables and meat and whatnot in a soup/stew, braising sauce, etc.) it's not going to re-gel.

It's not going to hold together very well so playing catch with it would be pretty fragmentary. That could be great fun with a dog, though.
FETCH!
*snaps blog into chunks, immediately snaffles up the millions of pieces, wags tail*

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 9, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Shine posted:

You now have good quality chicken broth, use it wherever you would use chicken broth. Also you can freeze it which will make it last a lot longer.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You now have good quality chicken broth, use it wherever you would use chicken broth. Also you can freeze it which will make it last a lot longer.

What he said. The gelatin is what will give that rich mouth feel when you cook with it. Jelly is good.

One thing I like to do with chicken stock is to pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it that way. Once frozen just pop em out and put them in a freezer bag. Note the volume of your ice cubes and they become super easy to portion out as you go.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Sea Pancake posted:

Tapenade is good with the aforementioned crusty loaf; you get oily salty olive taste in a convenient paste form.

For cheeses, Manchego, Jarlsberg, and Havarti are some that come to mind that do pretty well on their own and aren't usually difficult to track down.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Put honey on your cheese plate. And sourdough.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Thanks! I look forward to making delicious gravy and rice and such.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Put some quince paste on your cheese plate, also some grapes.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
and some (medjool) dates or (dried) figs and walnuts

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A brie is always a welcome addition to a cheese plate.

Fromager D'affinois double cream is fairly mild - it's not made traditionally and tastes less like brie. It's rich and creamy and soft though. Quite decadent.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
We had some great cheeses over Christmas, with a goat's milk gouda being one that stood out. I'm also a huge fan of white stilton with cranberries.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I made some pickled carrots/jalapeños, but I forgot to put water in the liquid. Essentially, they're pickled in straight vinegar.

I've got about six jars of them. What should I do to cut the acidity? Open one, drain it, and refill it with water?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just eat as is. They're good that way.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just eat as is. They're good that way.

Tried, the vinegar is too overpowering.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PRADA SLUT posted:

Tried, the vinegar is too overpowering.

you can drain some of the vinegar and add water...just adjust the liquid to the vinegar:water ratio that you intended in the first place and give the veggies some time to get used to the new liquid (like half a day to a day or something)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mrs. Squashy made some cucumber pickles last month with straight vinegar, and she loves them. But I'm with you: they were WAY too intense for me.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I do a lot of meal prep on Saturday, but lots of recipes I see don't keep for more than four days. This means that things are going sour by Wednesday. Or sometimes it makes a lot and I just want to keep it for the next week. Any tips on freezing them?

I'm thinking of like Asian foods, like General Tso Chicken, that have a lot of sauce. Maybe putting it in a bag, get the air out, then freeze? I figure to eat it whenever, just put it in the fridge the night before then microwave at lunch time. Any problems with this?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

QuarkMartial posted:

I do a lot of meal prep on Saturday, but lots of recipes I see don't keep for more than four days. This means that things are going sour by Wednesday. Or sometimes it makes a lot and I just want to keep it for the next week. Any tips on freezing them?

I'm thinking of like Asian foods, like General Tso Chicken, that have a lot of sauce. Maybe putting it in a bag, get the air out, then freeze? I figure to eat it whenever, just put it in the fridge the night before then microwave at lunch time. Any problems with this?

In my experience, most cooked dishes will last a week before they go off. I'm not saying that they'll be at the peak of freshness and flavor, but they won't be rotten or moldy. Obviously this varies by dish, but I routinely eat week-old stuff that smells and tastes just fine (my wife says she'll take dinner leftovers for lunch the next day...then the next day...then the day after that...then she doesn't) with no ill effect.

I'd be wary of anything with dairy, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much. If you're worried, use your nose - that's what it's there for. Alternately, you could freeze meal-sized portions after you make a dish and put them in the fridge the night before you plan to eat them to defrost.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

For general freezing, delitainers, ziploc bags or foodsaver will all work really well.

Some things, like chinese food with breaded and fried meat will not hold up well to more than a few days in the fridge and probably not very well in the freezer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I did meal prepping this summer and would routinely cook on Sunday and chuck everything in the fridge, and eat the last tupperware for lunch the following Saturday and it'd be as solidly mediocre as the first batch Monday morning. Didn't do anything fancy with sauces though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got brussel sprouts. I want to do some sort of grilled/pan fried/seared thing with them to get a maillard reaction going. Not sure what to do, I've never cooked them before. What's a simple, quick recipe? I'll be pairing it with ginger glazed salmon.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got brussel sprouts. I want to do some sort of grilled/pan fried/seared thing with them to get a maillard reaction going. Not sure what to do, I've never cooked them before. What's a simple, quick recipe? I'll be pairing it with ginger glazed salmon.

I like roasted, if you can do that. They get soft but not mushy, and the charring on the outer leaves gives good flavor. If they burn a tiny bit just peel off one layer. Olive oil and seasoning is all you really need but bacon is also nice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What would you season with? I'm thinking salt, garlic, and lemon juice?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Salt
pepper

bacon

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I cut them in half and pan fry them cut-side down in bacon fat until they're browned, then flip 'em around a bit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, I do have some bacon. Wouldn't that make them kind of heavy to go with fish, though? Or am I overthinking it?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It will be fine if you also cook the fish in bacon :shobon:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ranter posted:

I cut them in half and pan fry them cut-side down in bacon fat until they're browned, then flip 'em around a bit.

I do the same thing and I add soy sauce at the end and chopped bacon.

If you do cheese though it works better roasting in the oven.

Also, I don't know exactly how to repeat it but I had a bag in a too cold fridge once and they got a little dedicated. I cooked them anyway and they turned out amazing. Almost like fried. Nice and crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What would you season with? I'm thinking salt, garlic, and lemon juice?

Personally I really like just coating them with olive oil and then seasoning with salt and fresh ground pepper. I roast them cut-side down at 450 degrees for 7 to 12 minutes or so depending on the size and how firm I want them. Every few minutes I'll take a look at the cut side until it looks nice and caramelized.

I've never experimented with other seasonings because I just like the flavor of roasted brussels sprouts so much on their own.