Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

I can't believe you let this blatantly racist poo poo fly under the radar.

Not to contradict your point, just to speak alongside it, but do remember that the author's name is Eliezer Shlomo Yudkowsky. There's some none-too-subtle ethnic posturing going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cavelcade posted:

He appeals to some smart people by giving them an internal justification for feeling superior to those around them. He's also pretty good at arguing a point if you don't know much about the subject matter. And from there it's a cult - sorry, phyg - of personality where people talk about the intellectual biases of others while ignoring the way they commit them themselves. It's not particularly interesting, but it is pretty funny.

Edit: To be fair, calling it a cult might be slightly unfair. It has cultlike attributes but I don't think that straightup makes it a cult.

I mean we prefer to use the term 'emerging religion' now rather than Cult because it's considered too pejorative in a modern context but once you've got a firm vision of apocalypse, resurrection of the dead, eternal life, salvation, and even damnation in among your belief system it's fine to call it a religion.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

You see it with Wildbow's Worm stuff, too. It's a superhero universe that feels really unique and modern with a cast of interesting characters - but the fans only care about how uber the protagonist is and writing AU fanfic (or crossover fanfic or fetishbait fanfic).

This is especially sad, since a big part of the story is how the MC's power is kinda wimpy compared to the people that can shoot lasers, be invincible, turn into dragons, etc. They love it so much, and yet miss the point.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dienes posted:

This is especially sad, since a big part of the story is how the MC's power is kinda wimpy compared to the people that can shoot lasers, be invincible, turn into dragons, etc. They love it so much, and yet miss the point.

I never really understood the idea that having essentially perfect perception miles in radius was wimpy.

Then again Wildbow didn't really ever use that, just opting to turn it into 'Bug Magic' rather than doing anything clever.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Liquid Communism posted:

I can't believe you let this blatantly racist poo poo fly under the radar.

Added Space posted:

Starting by citing foreigners and Jews as superior students is not exactly promising, but at this point we just have to accept our main character has some socially inappropriate beliefs.

Looks like someone has a case of selective reading bias. :colbert: It's already been established that this character is a mild racist, I'm not going to flip out every time he says something a little stupid.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Added Space posted:

It's already been established that this author is a mild racist, I'm not going to flip out every time he says something a little stupid.

ftfy

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dienes posted:

It does make me wonder what the Worm re-edit will look like, given that the fanbase is hugely those sorts of people.

Tunicate posted:

I never really understood the idea that having essentially perfect perception miles in radius was wimpy.

Then again Wildbow didn't really ever use that, just opting to turn it into 'Bug Magic' rather than doing anything clever.

Well, her power was never quite perfect perception in the beginning, that's what it became later. Initially, it was just 'bug control in x radius', which then became 'bug magic', which then became 'bug magic AND perfect perception/multi-tasking'.

Like how Tattletale went from having a power that could be stymied by wrong input or assumptions, then she becomes a walking deus ex machina plot device.

That's kind of what happens with the whole text, really. Interesting street-level ideas get blown out to ridiculous extremes due to unending, ceaseless escalation towards the cosmic-scale. And a lot of the ideas - for example, the unwritten gun rule - fail to survive any scrutiny and get handwaved with 'a conspiracy from outside time and space made things that way'.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 6, 2017

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

It's already been established that this author is a mild racist, I'm not going to flip out every time he says something a little stupid.

I mean isn't pointing out and mocking the stupid the whole point of this? Otherwise reading and summarizing hundreds of thousands of words for its plot seems incredibly painful

The author couldn't be bother to reread this dreck once he finished writing it to edit it, so why should you bother to read it seriously?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Her power is bug control in the same way that Magneto's is the ability to bend spoons.

Cavelcade posted:

He appeals to some smart people by giving them an internal justification for feeling superior to those around them. He's also pretty good at arguing a point if you don't know much about the subject matter. And from there it's a cult - sorry, phyg - of personality where people talk about the intellectual biases of others while ignoring the way they commit them themselves. It's not particularly interesting, but it is pretty funny.

Edit: To be fair, calling it a cult might be slightly unfair. It has cultlike attributes but I don't think that straightup makes it a cult.

It's a phyg :downs:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Her power is bug control in the same way that Magneto's is the ability to bend spoons.

Its literally controlling bugs in a 6-block radius for 90% of the novel.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dienes posted:

Almost. The frequently-used ability of her spiders to near-instantly produce metres and metres of impossibly strong webbing was a total rear end-pull. (Pun very intended.)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dienes posted:

Do you just ignore all the parts where she knows where everything and everyone in a several block radius around her is at all times?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Shortest Path posted:

Do you just ignore all the parts where she knows where everything and everyone in a several block radius around her is at all times?

Eh, you're rounding up the quality of her perception through bugs quite a bit. The perception is consistently described as 'fuzzy' and pretty unreliable. She can't understand words or tone of voice through the bugs, for example. Wildbow said that she needs a hell of a lot of bugs concentrated in one location, concentration, and additional context clues beyond her bugs input to get a clear picture. That's not some magical bug radar that tells her everything for a 6 block radius.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dienes posted:

And the scale and degree of control is what makes it powerful, same as Magneto. The actual story never makes her seems as underpowered or outmatched as some of the fans do.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Eh, the comparison doesn't fit. Magneto's power is some kind of absurdly potent control over and awareness of magnetic forces. At its basic level, being able to manipulate electromagnetism is far more potent than 'controlling bugs in a 6-block radius'.

Taylor's strength comes from her ability to think around situations and apply her power to soft targets (sometimes literally). For example, shoving bugs inside Armsmaster's helmet. As a whole though, Taylor is one of the poorer parts of Worm and part of that is because her ability to think around problems is replaced by just being able to magic up things with her bugs and/or the post-hoc justification that her power is actually some kind of super administration ability.

edit: Similar to the WoG justification that Dragon's power isn't the fact that she's an AI or a Tinker who can reverse-engineer existing technology, she's a Thinker who can make Tinker equipment.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 6, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

NihilCredo posted:

Harriezer said that 1904 was "more than two centuries after science had gotten started". The Scientific Revolution is generally considered to encompass the developments between Galileo (early-mid 17th century) and Newton (late 17th century). Looks fine to me.
300 years at least (more often cited as starting with Copernicus, so more like 450). That's even assuming that "Science!" emerging as a distinct discipline is the same thing as "science had gotten started", which... no.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 6, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Science started about the time primitive hominids tried doing the same thing multiple times with a conscious desire to learn about the results. Chipping bits off of flint this way instead of that way made a knife sharper, so you try making more knives that way, and hey it wasn't a fluke! Figuring out the complicated steps to building a successful fire from scratch was some dedicated experimentation. Science has gotten a lot more organized since then, but the basics have always been in our nature.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
worm seems cool but apparently it's comically difficult to find an epub or mobi of it and that drastically reduces my desire to read it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Chapter 25: Hold Off on Proposing Solutions

HPMOR posted:

Note: Since the science in this story is usually all correct, I include a warning that in Ch. 22-25 Harry overlooks many possibilities, the most important of which is that there are lots of magical genes but they're all on one chromosome (which wouldn't happen naturally, but the chromosome might have been engineered). In this case, the inheritance pattern would be Mendelian, but the magical chromosome could still be degraded by chromosomal crossover with its nonmagical homologue. (Harry has read about Mendel and chromosomes in science history books, but he hasn't studied enough actual genetics to know about chromosomal crossover. Hey, he's only eleven.) However, although a modern science journal would find a lot more nits to pick, everything Harry presents as strong evidence is in fact strong evidence - the other possibilities are improbable.

Welp. Make of that what you will. Anyone want to fact check this one?

For some reason this chapter is split up into "Acts" that are listed in random order. Last chapter was Act 3. gently caress this postmodern, out of place nonsense, I'm listing them in order.

Act 1:

quote:

"A reason? " said the old wizard. He restrained the fury from his face. The boy before him had been the victim, and certainly did not need to be frightened any further. "There is nothing that can excuse -"

"What I did to him was worse."

The old wizard stiffened in sudden horror. "Harry, what have you done? "

"I tricked Draco into believing that I'd tricked him into participating in a ritual that sacrificed his belief in blood purism. And that meant he couldn't be a Death Eater when he grew up. He'd lost everything, Headmaster."

There was a long quiet in the office, broken only by the tiny puffs and whistles of the fiddly things, which after enough time had come to seem like silence.

"Dear me," said the old wizard, "I do feel silly. And here I was expecting you might try to redeem the heir of Malfoy by, say, showing him true friendship and kindness."

"Ha! Yeah, like that would have worked."

The old wizard sighed. This was taking it too far. "Tell me, Harry. Did it even occur to you that there was something incongruous about setting out to redeem someone through lies and trickery?"

"I did it without telling any direct lies, and since we're talking about Draco Malfoy here, I think the word you're looking for is congruous." The boy looked rather smug.

The old wizard shook his head in despair. "And this is the hero. We're all doomed."

I am moderately curious what Harry thinks 'redeem' means in this context. There's nothing suggesting he wants Draco to be more moral or ethical.

Act 2:

Harry is contemplating genetics and his Wizard Gene hypothesis.

quote:

Magic came from somewhere else.

And for some reason the Source of Magic was paying attention to a particular DNA marker among individuals who were ordinary ape-descended humans in every other way.

If magic had been like that, a big complex adaptation with lots of necessary genes, then a wizard mating with a Muggle would have resulted in a child with only half those parts and half the machine wouldn't do much. And so there would have been no Muggleborns, ever. Even if all the pieces had individually gotten into the Muggle gene pool, they'd never reassemble all in one place to form a wizard.

There hadn't been some genetically isolated valley of humans that had stumbled onto an evolutionary pathway leading to sophisticated magical sections of the brain. That complex genetic machinery, if wizards interbred with Muggles, would never have reassembled into Muggleborns.

So however your genes made you a wizard, it wasn't by containing the blueprints for complicated machinery.

That was the other reason Harry had guessed the Mendelian pattern would be there. If magical genes weren't complicated, why would there be more than one?

That question seems perilously close to affirming the consequent. Harry is falling into the trap he warned Hermione about on the train, where he's so in favor of his pet theory that he's looking only for things that confirm it.

quote:

And yet magic itself seemed pretty complicated. A door-locking spell would prevent the door from opening and prevent you from Transfiguring the hinges and resist Finite Incantatem and Alohomora. Many elements all pointing in the same direction: you could call that goal-orientation, or in simpler language, purposefulness.

There were only two known causes of purposeful complexity. Natural selection, which produced things like butterflies. And intelligent engineering, which produced things like cars.

Magic didn't seem like something that had self-replicated into existence. Spells were purposefully complicated, but not, like a butterfly, complicated for the purpose of making copies of themselves. Spells were complicated for the purpose of serving their user, like a car.

Some intelligent engineer, then, had created the Source of Magic, and told it to pay attention to a particular DNA marker.

Or rather, Atlantis. They must have made the source of magic and programmed it to act the way that it did.

quote:

The chain of logic was inexorable.

And it led inevitably toward a single final conclusion.

The ancient forebears of the wizards, thousands of years earlier, had told the Source of Magic to only levitate things if you said...

'Wingardium Leviosa.'

Harry slumped over at the breakfast table, resting his forehead wearily on his right hand.

Harriezer is overwhelmed by the scope of this problem and decides he should concentrate on immortality first.

quote:

"Excuse me," said an expected voice from behind him in very unexpected tones. "At your convenience, Mr. Malfoy requests the favor of a conversation."

Harry did not choke on his breakfast cereal. Instead he turned around and beheld Mr. Crabbe.

"Excuse me," said Harry. "Don't you mean 'Da boss wants ta talk wid youse?'"

Mr. Crabbe didn't look happy. "Mr. Malfoy instructed me to speak properly."

"I can't hear you," Harry said. "You're not speaking properly." He turned back to his bowl of tiny blue crystal snowflakes and deliberately ate another spoonful.

"Da boss wants to talk with youse," came a threatening voice from behind him. "Ya'd better come see him if ya know what's good for ya."

There. Now everything was going according to plan.

Never, EVER deny Harry the pleasure of reducing people to stereotypes. It's the only way he can relate to them.

Act 3: :smuggo:

Act 4:

Harry meets with the Weasley twins to commission them for a prank. Lee Jordan shows himself as the smartest person we've seen so far by bailing immediately. The idea is to gaslight Rita Skeeter into writing a bad story to discredit her. To be fair, Harry has been in the magical world for less then a month and probably doesn't realize she's already a tabloid sensationalist.

quote:

"I can't think of anything," said George.

"Neither can I," said Fred. "Sorry."

Harry stared at them.

And then Harry began to explain how you went about thinking of things.

It had been known to take longer than two seconds, said Harry.

You never called any question impossible, said Harry, until you had taken an actual clock and thought about it for five minutes, by the motion of the minute hand. Not five minutes metaphorically, five minutes by a physical clock.

And furthermore, Harry said, his voice emphatic and his right hand thumping hard on the floor, you did not start out immediately looking for solutions.

Harry then launched into an explanation of a test done by someone named Norman Maier, who was something called an organizational psychologist, and who'd asked two different sets of problem-solving groups to tackle a problem.

The problem, Harry said, had involved three employees doing three jobs. The junior employee wanted to just do the easiest job. The senior employee wanted to rotate between jobs, to avoid boredom. An efficiency expert had recommended giving the junior person the easiest job and the senior person the hardest job, which would be 20% more productive.

One set of problem-solving groups had been given the instruction "Do not propose solutions until the problem has been discussed as thoroughly as possible without suggesting any."

The other set of problem-solving groups had been given no instructions. And those people had done the natural thing, and reacted to the presence of a problem by proposing solutions. And people had gotten attached to those solutions, and started fighting about them, and arguing about the relative importance of freedom versus efficiency and so on.

The first set of problem-solving groups, the ones given instructions to discuss the problem first and then solve it, had been far more likely to hit upon the solution of letting the junior employee keep the easiest job and rotating the other two people between the other two jobs, for what the expert's data said would be a 19% improvement.

Starting out by looking for solutions was taking things entirely out of order. Like starting a meal with dessert, only bad.

(Harry also quoted someone named Robyn Dawes as saying that the harder a problem was, the more likely people were to try to solve it immediately.)

Good advice and decent social psychology. However, the author should have picked a better subject. Fred and George are some of the most elaborate and creative planners in canon, and here they're just tossed under the Knight Bus to give Harriezer yet another chance to exposit at the audience.

Harry gives them the stack of money he got from Draco and tells them not to involve Quirrell. They immediately decide to start a hit piece of Quirrell and move on to planning what they'll do for Harry.

Act 5:

Fred and George are going to meet with their supplier, Mr. Ambrosius Flume, at Honeyduke's.

quote:

"Still on the fritz," said George.

"Both, or -"

"Intermittent one fixed itself again. Other one's same as ever."

The Map was an extraordinarily powerful artifact, capable of tracking every sentient being on the school grounds, in real time, by name. Almost certainly, it had been created during the original raising of Hogwarts. It was not good that errors were starting to pop up. Chances were that no one except Dumbledore could fix it if it was broken.

And the Weasley twins weren't about to turn the Map over to Dumbledore. It would have been an unforgivable insult to the Marauders - the four unknowns who'd managed to steal part of the Hogwarts security system, something probably forged by Salazar Slytherin himself, and twist it into a tool for student pranking.

I have no clue what they're talking about.

Act 6:

Rita Skeeter has published her hit piece on Quirrell and is on to the next scandal when she runs into the man himself in a dark alley. He demands she print a retraction but she tells him off.

quote:

Quirrell stared at her for a moment.

Then he smiled.

"Miss Skeeter," said Quirrell, "I had hoped to find some lever that would prove persuasive. Yet I find that I cannot deny myself the pleasure of simply crushing you."

FORESHADO yeah he's going to murder her and this entire plot thread goes nowhere.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 6, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shockingly, Yud doesn't know enough biology to make accurate assertions of probability. If there are lots of magical genes, one of the mechanisms that might have produced them would be sequence duplications, which often produces a family of genes all in a row on one chromosome. This is actually extremely common.

Harriezer's conception of why Muggleborns wouldn't exist if magic was a complicated system is stupid and reminiscent of arguments for intelligent design. Often in biology, half a working system is still better than none at all and provides a fitness advantage, so it could easily be the case that only a few magic genes are actually all that rare in the Muggle population, but the whole biological magic mechanism is complicated.

This is stupid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

According to Rowling, Muggleborns are actually on average stronger.

This would indicate that magic is a combination of genetic and environmental factors - wizardborns have all the environmental magical poo poo going for them, so really weak ones can eke over the threshold for casting spells. Muggleborn only get noticed if they beat that threshold on pure genetics alone, and then once introduced to the magical community they gradually gain the same environmental benefits.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Just like Gohan

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Milky Moor posted:

It does make me wonder what the Worm re-edit will look like, given that the fanbase is hugely those sorts of people.

The ones who bothered with Pact and Twig have mostly thought he did better with those.

I expect Worm 2 will be as if millions of fanon voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. It'll be the indie equivalent of the EU decanonisation.

(still read almost nothing ever but Worm fics, tralala)

The Iron Rose posted:

worm seems cool but apparently it's comically difficult to find an epub or mobi of it and that drastically reduces my desire to read it.

The author specifically doesn't want such a thing available as he fears it being bootlegged.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

divabot posted:

The ones who bothered with Pact and Twig have mostly thought he did better with those.

Pact had another amazing world but it had way more fight scenes and non-stop escalation. I liked the world of Pact much more than the story. Couldn't get into Twig.

quote:

I expect Worm 2 will be as if millions of fanon voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. It'll be the indie equivalent of the EU decanonisation.

Absolutely. It'll be fun to see.

quote:

The author specifically doesn't want such a thing available as he fears it being bootlegged.

And that it'd affect the ability to get Worm published. It would probably also suck to have a 'super first draft' of any published story out there. I remember John Dies at the End pulling the (somewhat superior) version from the web when David Wong got it published in print.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

divabot posted:

(still read almost nothing ever but Worm fics, tralala)

Oh I know. But something tells me a 1.7 million word behemoth isn't getting published anytime soon, and it's super annoying to have to ask individual people for their manually scraped epub or mobi. Just put a download on your site and remove it if you ever get published, Christ.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I have no idea why Slytherin forging the security system the Marauder's Map is based on is something that Yud felt necessary to include, or why he had to change it at all. Very strange.

Read again - I corrected my foolish mistake of calling Less Wrong a cult, when it is of course a phyg.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

I have no idea why Slytherin forging the security system the Marauder's Map is based on is something that Yud felt necessary to include, or why he had to change it at all. Very strange.
Either it was in a fanfic he liked or it's a part of the idea that magic can be lost because of the Interdict of Merlin, I'd guess.

quote:

Read again - I corrected my foolish mistake of calling Less Wrong a cult, when it is of course a phyg.

Oops.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 6, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Maybe Yud decided that the map seems like a "Slytherin" sort of thing to make, so obviously it is the only possible source, following the strict disciplines of logic.

Silly original author, why you make so many mistake?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

I actually quite like this as a minor point - the whole "Secret Origins of the Marauders' Map" is the sort of expansion on canon material that fanfic can often do very well. The Map itself is plot-breakingly powerful (hence why Harry has to give it to "Professor Moody" partway through Goblet of Fire so as to not give the whole thing away), so I've always thought it reasonably apporpriate that it might be a repurposed ancient artifact rather than just something thrown together by four students, especially since Hogwarts is supposed to be Unplottable.

There are a ton of terrible ideas in this fic, but I wouldn't count this as one of them.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

inflatablefish posted:

I actually quite like this as a minor point - the whole "Secret Origins of the Marauders' Map" is the sort of expansion on canon material that fanfic can often do very well. The Map itself is plot-breakingly powerful (hence why Harry has to give it to "Professor Moody" partway through Goblet of Fire so as to not give the whole thing away), so I've always thought it reasonably apporpriate that it might be a repurposed ancient artifact rather than just something thrown together by four students, especially since Hogwarts is supposed to be Unplottable.

There are a ton of terrible ideas in this fic, but I wouldn't count this as one of them.

Being unplottable means it can't be placed on a worldmap, it doesn't mean it can't be plotted internally. The four kids who created it also learned to perform animagi(c?) by themselves, so they're not just random chumps.

It's not the worst thing in the fic, it's just weird and unnecessary.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Added Space posted:

Act 5:

I have no clue what they're talking about.
They evidently think the map is broken, presumably because it's telling them things that seem to be untrue, like that Quirrel and Harry aren't who they're supposed to be. I'm guessing Harry's the intermittent one (because he sometimes shows up as Voldermort), but at the moment he's more in control of himself so that's "fixed itself", but Quirrel just always shows up as the wrong person.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Chapter 26: Noticing Confusion

Here's another subject that I find myself agreeing with. As I've grown in critical thinking, I've found that I've become less likely to immediately accept any explanation given. It's a good habit to question how sensible the things you hear and experience are.

HPMOR posted:

Professor Quirrell's office hours consisted of 11:40 to 11:55 AM on Thursday. That was for all of his students in all years. It cost a Quirrell point just to knock on the door, and if he didn't think your reason was worth his time, you would lose another fifty.

:psyduck: And Harry complained about Snape being a bad teacher? I guess this is neglectful instead of actively malicious, but still.

Quirrell is in a bad mood and Harry offers to cheer him up.

quote:

"A sixth-year Gryffindor cast a curse at one of my more promising students, a sixth-year Slytherin."

Harry swallowed. "What... sort of curse?"

And the fury on Professor Quirrell's face was no longer contained. "Why bother to ask an unimportant question like that, Mr. Potter? Our friend the sixth-year Gryffindor did not think it was important!"

"Are you serious? " Harry said before he could stop himself.

"No, I'm in a terrible mood today for no particular reason. Yes I'm serious, you fool! He didn't know. He actually didn't know. I didn't believe it until the Aurors confirmed it under Veritaserum. He is in his sixth year at Hogwarts and he cast a high-level Dark curse without knowing what it did."

"You don't mean," Harry said, "that he was mistaken about what it did, that he somehow read the wrong spell description -"

"All he knew was that it was meant to be directed at an enemy. He knew that was all he knew."

And that had been enough to cast the spell. "I do not understand how anything with that small a brain could walk upright."

"Indeed, Mr. Potter," said Professor Quirrell.

There was a pause. Professor Quirrell leaned forward and picked up the silver inkwell from his desk, turning it around in his hands, staring at it as though wondering how he could go about torturing an inkwell to death.

"Was the sixth-year Slytherin seriously hurt?" said Harry.

"Yes."

"Was the sixth-year Gryffindor raised by Muggles?"

"Yes."

"Is Dumbledore refusing to expel him because the poor boy didn't know?"

Professor Quirrell's hands whitened on the inkwell. "Do you have a point, Mr. Potter, or are you just stating the obvious? "

"Professor Quirrell," said Harry gravely, "all the Muggle-raised students in Hogwarts need a safety lecture in which they are told the things so ridiculously obvious that no wizardborn would ever think to mention them. Don't cast curses if you don't know what they do, if you discover something dangerous don't tell the world about it, don't brew high-level potions without supervision in a bathroom, the reason why there are underage magic laws, all the basics."

"Why?" said Professor Quirrell. "Let the stupid ones die before they breed."

"If you don't mind losing a few sixth-year Slytherins along with them."

This is a reference to a scene in Half Blood Prince where Harry casts a spell he learned from Snape's old schoolbook without knowing what it does. This might undermine the whole idea of the Interdict of Merlin, but the interdict only prevents "powerful" magic from being written down and that's never defined. This act along with Hermione brewing polyjuice in the loo are called out as stupid in canon, so I don't know what the point of referencing them here is.

quote:

The inkwell caught fire in Professor Quirrell's hands and burned with a terrible slowness, hideous black-orange flames tearing at the metal and seeming to take tiny bites from it, the silver twisting as it melted, as though it were trying and failing to escape. There was a tinny shrieking sound, as though the metal were screaming.

"I suppose you are right," Professor Quirrell said with a resigned smile. "I shall design a lecture to ensure that Muggleborns who are too stupid to live do not take anyone valuable with them as they depart."

The inkwell went on screaming and burning in Professor Quirrell's hands, tiny droplets of metal, still on fire, now dripping to the desk, as though the inkwell were crying.

"You're not running away," observed Professor Quirrell.

Harry opened his mouth -

"If you're about to say you're not scared of me," said Professor Quirrell, "don't."

"You are the scariest person I know," Harry said, "and one of the top reasons for that is your control. I simply can't imagine hearing that you'd hurt someone you had not made a deliberate decision to hurt."

The fire in Professor Quirrell's hands winked out, and he carefully placed the ruined inkwell on his desk. "You say the nicest things, Mr. Potter. Have you been taking lessons in flattery? From, perhaps, Mr. Malfoy?"

Harry kept his expression blank, and realized one second too late that it might as well have been a signed confession. Professor Quirrell didn't care what your expression looked like, he cared which states of mind made it likely.

"I see," said Professor Quirrell. "Mr. Malfoy is a useful friend to have, Mr. Potter, and there is much he can teach you, but I hope you have not made the mistake of trusting him with too many confidences."

"He knows nothing which I fear becoming known," said Harry.

I think it's nice that these two horrible sociopaths have formed a bond. If nothing else they surely deserve each other.

The real reason Harry came by is to schedule a man date on Sunday to look for Occlumency teachers. Sunday morning comes with everyone giggling about a story about Harry in the paper. He's his usual peevish self, shouting at everyone until he manages to snag a copy from a Diagon Alley bookstore.

quote:

The headline read:

HARRY POTTER
SECRETLY BETROTHED
TO GINEVRA WEASLEY

Harry stared.

He lifted the newspaper off the counter, softly, reverently, like he was handling an original Escher artwork, and unbent it to read...

...about the evidence that had convinced Rita Skeeter.

...and some interesting further details.

...and yet more evidence.

Fred and George had cleared it with their sister first, surely? Yes, of course they had. There was a picture of Ginevra Weasley sighing longingly over what Harry could see, looking closely, was a photo of himself. That had to have been staged.

But how on Earth...?

Quirrell comes by and makes a big scene about how shocking this story is and how it absolutely must be true. Harry just smirks and says he contracted the work to an unnamed student.

I know this fic changes a lot of people, did he make Rita Skeeter a serious and hard nosed journalist and forget to mention it? Last we saw her she was chasing down a rumor about an auror dating her younger coworker, not exactly Pulitzer material.I'm going to be charitable again and say this is an example of the chapter theme and we the audience should be suspicious over how credulous Quirrell is being.

quote:

"I have a feeling," Harry said finally, "that we're coming at this from the wrong angle. There's a tale I once heard about some students who came into a physics class, and the teacher showed them a large metal plate near a fire. She ordered them to feel the metal plate, and they felt that the metal nearer the fire was cooler, and the metal further away was warmer. And she said, write down your guess for why this happens. So some students wrote down 'because of how the metal conducts heat', and some students wrote down 'because of how the air moves', and no one said 'this just seems impossible', and the real answer was that before the students came into the room, the teacher turned the plate around."

"Interesting," said Professor Quirrell. "That does sound similar. Is there a moral?"

"That your strength as a rationalist is your ability to be more confused by fiction than by reality," said Harry. "If you're equally good at explaining any outcome, you have zero knowledge. The students thought they could use words like 'because of heat conduction' to explain anything, even a metal plate being cooler on the side nearer the fire. So they didn't notice how confused they were, and that meant they couldn't be more confused by falsehood than by truth. If you tell me that the centaurs were under the Imperius Curse, I still have the feeling of something being not quite right. I notice that I'm still confused even after hearing your explanation."

"Hm," said Professor Quirrell.

They walked on further.

"I don't suppose," said Harry, "that it's possible to actually swap people into alternate universes? Like, this isn't our own Rita Skeeter, or they temporarily sent her somewhere else?"

"If that was possible," Professor Quirrell said, his voice rather dry, "would I still be here? "

And just as they were almost to the huge white front of the Gringotts building, Professor Quirrell said:

"Ah. Of course. I see it now. Let me guess, the Weasley twins?"

"What? " said Harry, his voice going up another octave in pitch. "How? "

You said 'they', Harry, and then confirmed his speculation with your reaction. This is like something out of a cartoon.

Also, Harry, you said your number one priority was to investigate mental magic, you've read a book about Occlumency, and yet you haven't heard of memory charms or confundus yet? Rita Skeeter's memory represents a single point of failure that explains everything she wrote. Everything in this chapter is unlikely. I'm confused if this is a brilliant act of metanarrative or just coincidence.

They head into Gringott's

quote:

The first part of the mission, to find an Occlumency instructor, had been a success. Professor Quirrell, smiling evilly, had told Griphook to recommend the best he knew, and not worry about the expense, since Dumbledore was paying it; and the goblin had smiled in return. There might have been a certain amount of smiling on Harry's part as well.

The second part of the plan had been a complete failure.

Harry was not allowed to take money out of his vault without Headmaster Dumbledore or some other school official present, and Professor Quirrell had not been given the vault key. Harry's Muggle parents could not authorize it because they were Muggles, and Muggles had around the same legal standing as children or kittens: they were cute, so if you tortured them in public you could get arrested, but they weren't people. Some reluctant provision had been made for recognizing the parents of Muggleborns as human in a limited sense, but Harry's adoptive parents did not fall into that legal category.

It seemed that Harry was effectively an orphan in the eyes of the wizarding world. As such, the Headmaster of Hogwarts, or his designees within the school system, were Harry's guardians until he graduated. Harry could breathe without Dumbledore's permission, but only so long as the Headmaster did not specifically prohibit it.

Harry had then asked if he could simply tell Griphook how to diversify his investments beyond stacks of gold coins sitting in his vault.

Griphook had stared blankly and asked what 'diversify' meant.

Banks, it seemed, did not make investments. Banks stored your gold coins in secure vaults for an annual fee.

The wizarding world did not have a concept of stock. Or equity. Or corporations. Businesses were run by families out of their personal vaults.

Loans were made by rich people, not banks. Though Gringotts would witness the contract, for a fee, and enforce its collection, for a much larger fee.

Good rich people let their friends borrow money and pay it back whenever. Bad rich people charged you interest.

There was no secondary market in loans.

Evil rich people charged you annual interest rates of at least 20%.

Harry had stood up, turned away, and rested his head against the wall.

Harry had asked if he needed the Headmaster's permission before he could start a bank.

Professor Quirrell had interrupted at this point, saying that it was time for lunch, and swiftly conducted a fuming Harry out of the bronze doors of Gringotts, through Diagon Alley, and to a fine restaurant called Mary's Place, where a room had been reserved for them.

Now, here's a better method of pointing out something silly in the books without seeming mean. Goblin banking practices are absolutely antiquated, and it impacts the original books. There's things like the Weasley twins not being able to get a business loan for their joke shop. The legal status of muggles is a constant point of contention. Maybe Yud blew all of his good ideas in the first few chapters and now has to rely on recycling them for decent content.

Mary's room is a reference to a thought experiment. Raise Mary from birth in a black and white room while teaching her every academic fact about color and how it's perceived. Then, let her out of the room to experience color. The thought experiment argues for 'qualia', that there is a quality to perceptions aside from their factual content.

The room is warded for privacy, but that's not enough for the paranoid Quirrellmort.

quote:

Professor Quirrell then spoke no fewer than four different Charms, none of which Harry recognized.

"Even that does not really suffice," said Professor Quirrell. "If we were doing anything of truly great import, it would be necessary to perform another twenty-three checks besides those. If, say, Rita Skeeter knew or guessed that we would come here, it is possible that she could be in this room wearing the true Cloak of Invisibility. Or she could be an Animagus with a tiny form, perhaps. There are tests to rule out such rare possibilities, but to perform all of them would be arduous. Still, I wonder if I should do them anyway, just so as not to teach you bad habits?" And Professor Quirrell tapped a finger on his cheek, looking abstracted.

He's not saying that for Harry's benefit.

Quirrell goes all "good job son" about putting one over on Rita Skeeter, saying that she has no doubt disappointed Lucius Malfroy and will now have to flee the country. Once again Harry has acted with malicious intent and no thought at all about the consequences, and starts to get nervous once he's called out.

quote:

But she would get fired from her job, of course she would be fired, she might have children going through Hogwarts for all Harry knew, and now it was worse, much worse -

"Is Lucius going to have her killed?" Harry said in a barely audible voice. Somewhere in his head, the Sorting Hat was screaming at him.

Professor Quirrell smiled dryly. "If you have not dealt with journalists before, take it from me that the world gets a little brighter every time one dies."

Harry jumped out of his chair with a convulsive movement, he had to find Rita Skeeter and warn her before it was too late -

"Sit down," Professor Quirrell said sharply. "No, Lucius won't kill her. But Lucius makes life extremely unpleasant for those who serve him ill. Miss Skeeter will flee and start her life over with a new name. Sit down, Mr. Potter; there is nothing you can do at this point, and you have a lesson to learn."

Harry sat down, slowly. There was a disappointed, annoyed look on Professor Quirrell's face that was doing more to stop him than the words.

"There are times," Professor Quirrell said, his voice cutting, "when I worry that your brilliant Slytherin mind is simply wasted on you. Repeat after me. Rita Skeeter was a vile, disgusting woman."

"Rita Skeeter was a vile, disgusting woman," Harry said. He wasn't comfortable saying it, but there didn't seem to be any other possible actions, none at all.

"Rita Skeeter tried to destroy my reputation, but I executed an ingenious plan and destroyed her reputation first."

"Rita Skeeter challenged me. She lost the game, and I won."

"Rita Skeeter was an obstacle to my future plans. I had no choice but to deal with her if I wanted those plans to succeed."

"Rita Skeeter was my enemy."

"I cannot possibly get anything done in life if I am not willing to defeat my enemies."

"I have defeated one of my enemies today."

"I am a good boy."

"I deserve a special reward."

We've got a Twilight situation on our hands. If the author would just acknowledge that their lead was a horrible, irresponsible person the story would be much more interesting. We'd have a great villain/minion moment here. What we end up with is something cultish and with pedophilic undertones.

Quirrell wants to give Harry a stolen book, and Harry is reluctant to take it.

quote:

"What is it?" breathed Harry.

"A diary," said Professor Quirrell.

"Whose?"

"That of a famous person." Professor Quirrell was smiling broadly.

Harry's mouth opened, then halted that way, an agonized look on his face.

Professor Quirrell seemed to be quite enjoying himself. He had balanced the book on its corner, on one finger, and was keeping it upright while humming a little tune.

There came a knock at the door.

The book vanished back into Professor Quirrell's robes, and he rose up from his chair. Professor Quirrell started to walk over to the door -

- and staggered, suddenly lurching into the wall.

"It's all right," said Professor Quirrell's voice, which suddenly sounded a lot weaker than usual. "Sit down, Mr. Potter, it's just a dizzy spell. Sit down."

This moment of weakness and the arrival of lunch is enough to soften Harry and he takes the book.

quote:

Harry opened the book with ingrained, instinctive care. The pages seemed too thick, with a texture unlike either Muggle paper or wizarding parchment. And the contents were...

...blank?

"Am I supposed to be seeing -"

"Look nearer the beginning," said Professor Quirrell, and Harry (again with that helpless, ingrained care) turned a block of pages back.

The lettering was obviously handwritten, and very hard to read, but Harry thought the words might be Latin.

"What is this?" said Harry.

"That," said Professor Quirrell, "is a record of the magical researches of a Muggleborn who never came to Hogwarts. He refused his letter, and conducted his own small investigations, which never did get very far without a wand. From the description on the placard, I expect that his name bears rather more significance to you than to me. That, Harry Potter, is the diary of Roger Bacon."

Harry almost fainted.

Nestled up against the wall, where Professor Quirrell had stumbled, glistened the crushed remains of a beautiful blue beetle.

It took rereading this chapter right now for me to realize that this was intended to be a plot twist. We were supposed to think he was offering up the horcrux from Chamber of Secrets. This explains why Harry never seems to read this very cool sounding book and the story completely forgets about it. In a bit of mirroring, we see Quirrelmort making another horcrux using Skeeter's death.

Skeeter's murder is telegraphed very well. She was investigating Mary's Room when she ran into Quirrell last chapter; no doubt he was the one who tipped her off to it. He used an ambiguous phrase to signal how she would die. Her animagus form is referenced in the chapter to remind the audience. We see a smooth villain getting away with murder in style, and his young victim being none the wiser. Harry is really dropping the ball, showing that that he can't demonstrate intelligence by putting facts together. He can only succeed when the author passes him notes.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 7, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Chapter 27: Empathy

I think I'm done complimenting this fic for a while. This chapter starts many insufferable plot arcs that last for a long drat time.

In the chapter opening Harry is asking the twins how they pulled off their prank. They refuse to answer him, then remind each other that they got memory wiped. They also don't make the obvious leap that someone altered Skeeter's memories.

HPMOR posted:

Unsurprisingly, Rita Skeeter and the editor of the Daily Prophet had both vanished and were probably in another country by now. They would've liked to be able to tell their family about that part. Dad would have congratulated them, they thought, after Mum had finished killing them and Ginny had burned the remains.

But everything was still all right, they'd tell Dad someday, and meanwhile...

...meanwhile Dumbledore had happened to sneeze while passing them in the hallway, and a small package had accidentally dropped out of his pockets, and inside had been two matched wardbreaker's monocles of incredible quality. The Weasley twins had tested their new monocles on the "forbidden" third-floor corridor, making a quick trip to the magic mirror and back, and they hadn't been able to see all the detection webs clearly, but the monocles had shown a lot more than they'd seen the first time.

Of course they would have to be very careful never to get caught with the monocles in their possession, or they would end up in the Headmaster's office getting a stern lecture and maybe even threats of expulsion.

It was good to know that not everyone who got Sorted into Gryffindor grew up to be Professor McGonagall.

This is a densely concentrated ball of stupid. I'm excusing Dumbledore, who has good reasons for everything he does. Otherwise, I count seven idiots committing an uncountable number of inexplicable actions. You could play along and count for yourself, but that would raise the total to eight idiots.

We then have a hard scene transition to Harry's Occlumency lessons.

quote:

A human mind, Harry's Occlumency book had said, was only exposed to a Legilimens along certain surfaces. If you failed to defend your surfaces, the Legilimens would go through and be able to access any part of you which their own mind was able to comprehend...

...which tended not to be much. Human minds, it seemed, were hard for humans to understand on any level but the shallowest. Harry had wondered if knowing lots of cognitive science could make him an incredibly powerful Legilimens, but repeated experience had finally driven into him the lesson that he needed to get a little less excited in his anticipations about this sort of thing. It wasn't as if any cognitive scientist understood humans well enough to make one.

To learn the counter, Occlumency, the first step was to imagine yourself to be a different person, pretending it as thoroughly as you could, immersing yourself entirely in that alternate persona. You wouldn't always have to do that, but in the beginning, it was how you learned where your surfaces were. The Legilimens would try to read you, and you would feel it happening if you paid close enough attention, you would sense them trying to enter. And your job was to make sure that they always touched your imaginary persona and not the real one.

When you were good enough at that, you could imagine being a very simple sort of person, pretend to be a rock, and make a habit of leaving the pretense in place where all your surfaces were. That was a standard Occlumency barrier. Pretending to be a rock was hard to learn, but easy to do afterward, and the exposed surface of a mind was much shallower than its interior, so with enough practice you could keep it up as a background habit.

Or if you were a perfect Occlumens, you could race ahead of any probes, answering queries as fast as they were asked, so that the Legilimens would enter through your surfaces and see a mind indistinguishable from whoever you were pretending to be.

Even the best Legilimens could be fooled that way. If a perfect Occlumens claimed they were dropping their Occlumency barriers, there was no way to know if they were lying. Worse, you might not know you were dealing with a perfect Occlumens. They were rare, but the fact that they existed meant you couldn't trust Legilimency on anyone.

It was a sad commentary on how little human beings understood each other, how little any wizard comprehended the depths lying beneath the mind's surface, that you could fool the best human telepaths by pretending to be someone else.

But then human beings only understood each other in the first place by pretending. You didn't make predictions about people by modeling the hundred trillion synapses in their brain as separate objects. Ask the best social manipulator on Earth to build you an Artificial Intelligence from scratch, and they'd just give you a dumb look. You predicted people by telling your brain to act like theirs. You put yourself in their place. If you wanted to know what an angry person would do, you activated your own brain's anger circuitry, and whatever that circuitry output, that was your prediction. What did the neural circuitry for anger actually look like inside? Who knew? The best social manipulator on Earth might not know what neurons were, and neither might the best Legilimens.

I've only had entry level psychological training, but this certainly sounds like bullshit. If people were only capable of guessing what other people would do based on their own reactions, social manipulators would not get very far at all.

quote:

And then Harry turned into someone else entirely, someone who had seemed appropriate to the occasion.

...in a white room, windowless, featureless, sitting before a desk, facing an expressionless man in formal robes of solid black.

Kimball Kinnison regarded the black-robed man who thought he was going to read the mind of a Second-Stage Lensman of the Galactic Patrol.

To say that Kimball Kinnison was confident of the outcome would be an understatement. He had been trained by Mentor of Arisia, the most powerful mind known to this or any other universe, and the mere wizard sitting across from him would see precisely what the Gray Lensman wanted him to see...

...the mind of the boy he was currently disguised as, an innocent child named Harry Potter.

"I'm ready," said Kimball Kinnison in nervous tones that were exactly appropriate for an eleven-year-old boy.

"Legilimens," said the black-robed wizard.

There was a pause.

The black-robed wizard blinked, as if he'd seen something so shocking that it had been enough to make even his eyelids move. His voice wasn't quite toneless as he said, "The Boy-Who-Lived has a mysterious dark side? "

The heat slowly crept up into Harry's cheeks.

"Did you feel anything as I read your mind?"

Harry shook his head, now blushing furiously.

"Then pay closer attention next time. The goal is not to create a perfect image on your first day of lessons. The goal is to learn where your surfaces are. Prepare yourself."

Aww, Harry thought he wasn't stupidly overconfident this time. That's almost cute.

More padding and another hard scene change back to Hogwarts. Harriezer is salty due to Quidditch scores being added to the house cup run.

quote:

"We should kill them," Harry said to Hermione, who was walking beside him with an equally offended air.

"Who?" said Hermione. "The Quidditch team?"

"I was thinking of everyone involved in any way with Quidditch anywhere, but the Ravenclaw team would be a start, yes."

Hermione's lips were pursed disapprovingly. "You do know that killing people is wrong, Harry?"

"Yes," Harry said.

"Okay, just checking," Hermione said. "Let's get the Seeker first. I've read some Agatha Christie mysteries, do you know how we can get her onto a train?"

"Two students plotting murder," said a dry voice. "How shocking."

From around a nearby corner strolled a man in lightly spotted robes, his greasy hair falling long and unkempt about his shoulders. Deadly danger seemed to radiate out from him, filling the hallway with improperly mixed potions and accidental falls and people dying in bed of what the Aurors would rule to be natural causes.

Without thinking about it at all, Harry stepped in front of Hermione.

There was an intake of breath from behind him, and then a moment later Hermione brushed past and stepped in front of him. "Run, Harry!" she said. "Boys shouldn't have to be in danger."

I like the Hermione who has dedicated herself to hanging out with Harriezer and endlessly trolling him.

quote:

"I don't suppose you could explain," Severus said dryly, "why the two of you were plotting to murder Cho Chang?"

"I don't suppose you could explain," Harry said dryly, "in your capacity as an official of the Hogwarts school system, why catching a golden mosquito is deemed an academic accomplishment worthy of a hundred and fifty House points?"

A smile crossed Severus's lips. "Dear me, and I thought you were supposed to be perceptive. Are you truly so incapable of understanding your classmates, Potter, or do you dislike them too much to try? If Quidditch scores did not count toward the House Cup then none of them would care about House points at all. It would merely be an obscure contest for students like you and Miss Granger."

It was a shockingly good answer.

And that shock brought Harry's mind fully awake.

In retrospect it shouldn't have been surprising that Severus understood his students, understood them very well indeed.

He had been reading their minds.

And...

...the book said that a successful Legilimens was extremely rare, rarer than a perfect Occlumens, because almost no one had enough mental discipline.

Mental discipline?

Harry had collected stories about a man who routinely lost his temper in class and blew up at young children.

...but this same man, when Harry had spoken of the Dark Lord still being alive, had responded instantly and perfectly - reacting in precisely the way that someone completely ignorant would react.

The man stalked about Hogwarts with the air of an assassin, radiating danger...

...which was exactly not what a real assassin should do. Real assassins should look like meek little accountants until they killed you.

He was the Head of House for proud and aristocratic Slytherin, and he wore a robe with spotted stains from bits of potions and ingredients, which two minutes of magic could have removed.

Harry noticed that he was confused.

And his threat estimate of the Head of House Slytherin shot up astronomically.

He's actually showing respect for someone, and all it took was a offhand comment that "people like sports"? This whole "I know you know I know" nonsense is like the video game logic version of social interaction. Harry even thinks of it in terms of "levels". Quoting from later in this chapter:

quote:

(Professor Quirrell had remarked over their lunch that Harry really needed to conceal his state of mind better than putting on a blank face when someone discussed a dangerous topic, and had explained about one-level deceptions, two-level deceptions, and so on. So either Severus was in fact modeling Harry as a one-level player, which made Severus himself two-level, and Harry's three-level move had been successful; or Severus was a four-level player and wanted Harry to think the deception had been successful. Harry, smiling, had asked Professor Quirrell what level he played at, and Professor Quirrell, also smiling, had responded, One level higher than you.)

It is physically painful to watch these idiots natter at each other.

Snape pulls Harry aside and dangles another chance to gently caress up.

quote:

Severus was watching Harry intently. "You said once in the Headmaster's office that you would not tolerate bullying or abuse. And so I wonder, Harry Potter. Just how much do you resemble your father?"

"Unless we're talking about Michael Verres-Evans," Harry said, "the answer is that I know very little about James Potter."

Severus nodded, as though to himself. "There is a fifth-year Slytherin. A boy named Lesath Lestrange. He is being bullied by Gryffindors. I am... constrained, in my ability to deal with such situations. You could help him, perhaps. If you wished. I am not asking you for a favor, and will not owe you one. It is simply an opportunity to do as you will."

Lesath is the son of Bellatrix, and the Gryffindors are dumb jocks. Snape gives Harry a time and place and we go there to see Lesath dangling out a window. Someone goes to help him - and it turns out to be Neville, who Harry has decided to involve as another misguided attempt to 'fix' him. The bullies are not impressed.

quote:

"I think he's a traitor," said one of the other Gryffindors, and there was a sudden sinking sensation in Neville's stomach.

He'd known it, he'd just known it. Harry Potter had been wrong after all. Bullies wouldn't stop only because Neville Longbottom told them to stop.

The handsome one took a step forward, and the three others followed.

"So that's how it is for you," Neville said, amazed at how steady his voice was. "It doesn't matter to you if it's Lesath Lestrange or Neville Longbottom."

Lesath Lestrange let out a sudden gasp, from where he was lying on the floor.

"Evil is evil," snarled the same boy who'd spoken before, "and if you're friends with evil, you're evil too."

I've been bullied, I've seen other bullied, and I've had to deal with bullies as a teacher. None of them sounded even remotely like this. Bullies are a complex topic, but they are rarely morally zealous crusaders who will attack anyone who questions them. If nothing else people are lazy and will generally back off if someone calls them on their actions. We've swapped genres from mystery to revenge. Harry Potter vs All The Dumb Bullies is a plot cancer that goes nowhere and results in no-one learning any sort of moral lesson.

Neville does a bit of stage acting to "summon" Harry who was waiting in the wings.

quote:

"Ahem," said Harry Potter from behind them, leaning against the wall by the window, in the dead end of the hallway, where nobody could possibly have gotten to without being seen.

If watching people scream always felt this good, Neville could sort of understand why people became bullies.

Harry Potter stalked forward, placing himself between Lesath Lestrange and the others. He swept his icy gaze across the boys in red-trimmed robes, and then his eyes came to rest on the handsome one, the ringleader. "Mr. Carl Sloper," said Harry Potter. "I believe I have comprehended this situation fully. If Lesath Lestrange has ever committed a single evil himself, rather than being born to the wrong parents, the fact is not known to you. If I am mistaken in this, Mr. Sloper, I suggest you inform me at once."

Neville saw the fear and awe on the other boys' faces. He was feeling it himself. Harry had claimed it would all be a trick, but how could it be?

"But he's a Lestrange," said the ringleader.

"He's a boy who lost his parents," Harry Potter said, his voice growing even colder.

This time all three of the other Gryffindors flinched.

This is sort of a good point. Harry and Neville both grew up without their biological parents and have some amount of moral authority here. Of course, they're going to completely ignore that and resolve this through threats.

quote:

"So Lessy snarked to you," said the ringleader coldly.

"Are you threatening to snark on us?" said the handsome Gryffindor, his voice trying to be angry, and rather wavering. "Bad things happen to snarkers."

You mean narc, you idiot. "Snark" is a portmanteau of "snide remark" and Harriezer hasn't used snark any time in my memory.

Harry bluffs and blusters until the bullies run off. He and Neville are happy, but Lesath isn't.

quote:

"You think you know how it is?" said Lesath, his voice high and shaking. "You think you know? My parents are in Azkaban, I try not to think about it and they always remind me, they think it's great that Mother is there in the cold and the dark with the Dementors sucking away her life, I wish I was like Harry Potter, at least his parents aren't hurting, my parents are always hurting, every second of every day, I wish I was like you, at least you can see your parents sometimes, at least you know they loved you, if Mother ever loved me the Dementors will have eaten that thought by now -"

Neville's eyes were wide with shock. He hadn't expected this.

Lesath turned to Harry Potter, whose eyes were full of horror.

Lesath flung himself on the floor in front of Harry Potter, touched his forehead to the ground, and whispered, "Help me, Lord."

I... don't even know. Terrible staged incident that relies on Harry not knowing what humans sound like? The author not knowing what people sound like? This whole scene is absurd melodrama.

Harry tries to explain all the stunts he pulled were staged, but Lesath gets pissed, insults him and runs off.

quote:

"He thought I could help him," Harry said, his voice hoarse. "He had hope for the first time in years."

Neville swallowed, and said it. "I'm sorry."

"Wha?" said Harry, sounding totally confused.

"I wasn't grateful when you helped me -"

"Every single thing you said before was completely right," said the Boy-Who-Lived.

"No," Neville said, "it wasn't."

They simultaneously gave brief sad smiles, each condescending to the other.

"I know this wasn't real," said Neville, "I know I couldn't have done anything if you hadn't been here, but thanks for letting me pretend."

"Give me a break," said Harry.

Harry had turned from Neville, and was staring out the window at the gloomy clouds.

A completely ridiculous thought came to Neville. "Are you feeling guilty because you can't get Lesath's parents out of Azkaban?"

"No," said Harry.

A few seconds went by.

"Yes," said Harry.

"You're silly," said Neville.

"I am aware of this," said Harry.

"Do you have to do literally anything anyone asks you?"

The Boy-Who-Lived turned back and looked at Neville again. "Do? No. Feel guilty about not doing? Yes."

Neville was having trouble finding words. "Once the Dark Lord died, Bellatrix Black was literally the most evil person in the entire world and that was before she went to Azkaban. She tortured my mother and father into insanity because she wanted to find out what happened to the Dark Lord -"

"I know," Harry said quietly. "I get that, but -"

"No! You don't! She had a reason for doing that, and my parents were both Aurors! It's not even close to the worst thing she's ever done!" Neville's voice was shaking.

"Even so," said the Boy-Who-Lived, his eyes distant as they stared off into somewhere else, some other place that Neville couldn't imagine. "There might be some incredibly clever solution that makes it possible to save everyone and let them all live happily ever after, and if only I was smart enough I would have thought of it by now -"

"You have problems," said Neville. "You think you ought to be what Lesath Lestrange thinks you are."

"Yeah," said the Boy-Who-Lived, "that pretty much nails it. Every time someone cries out in prayer and I can't answer, I feel guilty about not being God."

Neville didn't quite understand that, but... "That doesn't sound good."

Harry sighed. "I understand that I have a problem, and I know what I need to do to solve it, all right? I'm working on it."

Harry watched Neville leave.

Of course Harry hadn't said what the solution was.

The solution, obviously, was to hurry up and become God.

I'm convinced that Harriezer is against bullies out of jealousy. He wants to be the one with all the power to push people around and force them to do what he thinks is right and just.

Snape rolls in and he and Harry engage in more 'clever' back and forth, until Snape poses a hypothetical.

quote:

"I should like to ask your advice about something," Severus said, his voice casual. "I know of another fifth-year Slytherin who was being bullied by Gryffindors. He was wooing a beautiful Muggleborn girl, who came across him being bullied, and tried to rescue him. And he called her a mudblood, and that was the end for them. He apologized, many times, but she never forgave him. Have you any thoughts for what he could have said or done, to win from her the forgiveness you gave Lestrange?"

"Erm," Harry said, "based on only that information, I'm not sure he was the main one who had a problem. I'd have told him not to date someone that incapable of forgiveness. Suppose they'd gotten married, can you imagine life in that household?"

There was a pause.

"Oh, but she could forgive," Severus said with amusement in his voice. "Why, afterward, she went off and became the girlfriend of the bully. Tell me, why would she forgive the bully, and not the bullied?"

Harry shrugged. "At a wild guess, because the bully had hurt someone else very badly, and the bullied had hurt her just a little, and to her that just felt far more unforgivable somehow. Or, not to put too fine a point on it, was the bully handsome? Or for that matter, rich?"

There was another pause.

"Yes to both," said Severus.

"And there you have it," said Harry. "Not that I've ever been through high school myself, but my books give me to understand that there's a certain kind of teenage girl who'll be outraged by a single insult if the boy is plain or poor, yet who can somehow find room in her heart to forgive a rich and handsome boy his bullying. She was shallow, in other words. Tell whoever it was that she wasn't worthy of him and he needs to get over it and move on and next time date girls who are deep instead of pretty."

There's only one woman in the situation so clearly she's to blame! This is some PUA poo poo right here. "I insulted this bitch and she got all offended, she's so shallow."

quote:

"So," Harry said. "Did I pass your test, whatever it was?"

"I think," Severus said, "that there should be no more conversations between us, Potter, and you would be exceedingly wise never to speak of this one."

Harry blinked. "Would you mind telling me what I did wrong?"

"You offended me," said Severus. "And I no longer trust your cunning."

Harry stared at Severus, taken rather aback.

"But you have given me well-meant advice," said Severus Snape, "and so I will give you true advice in return." His voice was almost perfectly steady. Like a string stretched almost perfectly horizontal, despite the massive weight hanging from its middle, by a million tons of tension pulling at either end. "You almost died today, Potter. In the future, never share your wisdom with anyone unless you know exactly what you are both talking about."

Harry's mind finally made the connection.

"You were that -"

Harry's mouth snapped shut as the almost died part sank in, two seconds too late.

"Yes," said Severus, "I was."

And the terrible tension flooded back into the room like water pressurized at the bottom of the ocean.

Harry couldn't breathe.

Lose. Now.

"I didn't know," Harry whispered. "I'm s-"

"No," said Severus. Just that one word.

Ha! Suck it, dumbass! Continue to not learn the simple lesson to not run your drat mouth.

quote:

"Your books betrayed you, Potter," said Severus, still in that voice stretched tight by a million tons of pull. "They did not tell you the one thing you needed to know. You cannot learn from stories what it is like to lose the one you love. That is something you could never understand without feeling it yourself."

"My father," Harry whispered. It was his best guess, the one thing that might save him. "My father tried to protect you from the bullies."

A ghastly smile stretched across Severus's face, and the man moved toward Harry.

And past him.

"Goodbye, Potter," said Severus, not looking back on his way out. "We shall have little to say to each other from today on."

And at the corner, the man stopped, and without turning, spoke one final time.

"Your father was the bully," said Severus Snape, "and what your mother saw in him was something I never did understand until this day."

He left.

Harry, desperate to think about any other subject than improving his own annoying cocksure behavior, thinks about how his parents were jerks for a moment before settling on Azkaban.

quote:

Lesath would be imagining himself in his mother's place, in the cold and the darkness and the fear, alone with all of her worst memories, even in her dreams, every second of every day.

For an instant Harry imagined his own Mum and Dad in Azkaban with the Dementors sucking out their life, draining away the happy memories of their love for him. Just for an instant, before his imagination blew a fuse and called an emergency shutdown and told him never to imagine that again.

Was it right to do that to anyone, even the second most evil person in the world?

No, said the wisdom of Harry's books, not if there's any other way, any other way at all.

And unless the wizarding justice system was as perfect as their prisons - and that sounded rather improbable, all things considered - somewhere in Azkaban was a person who was entirely innocent, and probably more than one.

There was a burning sensation in Harry's throat, and moisture gathering in his eyes, and he wanted to teleport all of Azkaban's prisoners to safety and call down fire from the sky and blast that terrible place down to bedrock. But he couldn't, because he wasn't God.

And Harry remembered what Professor Quirrell had said beneath the starlight: Sometimes, when this flawed world seems unusually hateful, I wonder whether there might be some other place, far away, where I should have been... But the stars are so very, very far away... And I wonder what I would dream about, if I slept for a long, long time.

Right now this flawed world seemed unusually hateful.

And Harry couldn't understand Professor Quirrell's words, it might have been an alien that had spoken, or an Artificial Intelligence, something built along such different lines from Harry that his brain couldn't be forced to operate in that mode.

You couldn't leave your home planet while it still contained a place like Azkaban.

You had to stay and fight.

Ok, I can appreciate that Harry wants to make a positive change in his world. Bullying is traumatic, and prisons are morally questionable for all sorts of reasons. However, with all his supposed knowledge of psychology and cleverness, the only solution he can think of is to gain overwhelming power and force everyone to do things his way. He's more morally reprehensible than anyone he's fighting; the only difference is that he doesn't yet have the power to commit the atrocities he wants to. Our Hero.

Open question because I think it's interesting: Does Bellatrix LeStrange, a woman who tortured, murdered, and often both at once deserve a life sentence in Azkaban? A place of unending misery and slowly failing health?

Added Space fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 9, 2017

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

To generalize: is a bad act performed to punish a bad person good? That's a really complicated question, and one that underlies the entire field of criminal justice. An Azkaban sentence, even a relatively short one, is often fatal, so the Azkaban case is an exaggeration of the death penalty case: is capital punishment ethical, and if so is it ethical for the method of execution to be torturous?

The argument Harrieizer seems to be making is that Azkaban, which is state-sponsored murder via torture, is an atrocity, which it is, and that there is no benefit (as a deterrent, as a way to prevent recidivism, etc.) that could possibly justify it existing. The real-world question of whether state-sponsored murder is ethical or not is probably a little outside the scope of this thread, but there's been plenty of debate on the topic for quite some time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

As presented in either the books or MOR or any of the other fanfics I've read, Azkaban is several orders of magnitude beyond "cruel and unusual" and the people responsible for it being the standard of imprisonment should be fired into the sun. I normally do not in any way advocate for the death penalty, and yet I would put that well before sticking people, including Bellatrix who is arguably the most abhorrent character in the story, into what amounts to a torture chamber for years and years.

That said, the way it's handled in this is really, really dumb.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yud posted:

(Professor Quirrell had remarked over their lunch that Harry really needed to conceal his state of mind better than putting on a blank face when someone discussed a dangerous topic, and had explained about one-level deceptions, two-level deceptions, and so on. So either Severus was in fact modeling Harry as a one-level player, which made Severus himself two-level, and Harry's three-level move had been successful; or Severus was a four-level player and wanted Harry to think the deception had been successful. Harry, smiling, had asked Professor Quirrell what level he played at, and Professor Quirrell, also smiling, had responded, One level higher than you.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EkBuKQEkio

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Added Space posted:

Aww, Harry thought he wasn't stupidly overconfident this time. That's almost cute.
I've got to give some credit here. It's set up in a way that strongly suggests that it's going to turn out that Harry is a natural perfect occlumens, and the tutor's going to say "oh my god, imagining yourself to be someone else who's imagining themself to be you, that's genius, no one's ever thought of doing that before!" so it's an amusing and pleasant surprise when it turns out that he's just wrong and it doesn't work at all.

Added Space posted:

I like the Hermione who has dedicated herself to hanging out with Harriezer and endlessly trolling him.
There are places in this story where Hermione is actually a decent character. This isn't particularly one of them, in my opinion, but it's not too bad.

Added Space posted:

Harry Potter vs All The Dumb Bullies is a plot cancer that goes nowhere and results in no-one learning any sort of moral lesson.
Possibly the biggest problem with this story is how Yudkowsky just writes whatever he feels like and then gets bored and drops it to write something else. Not that the anti-bullying stuff was any good, but if that's what he wanted to write about the whole time then he could have done that, but he didn't, it's just a whim, and as soon as he gets bored with it he moves on to some completely unrelated subplot, which also goes nowhere.

Added Space posted:

I'm convinced that Harriezer is against bullies out of jealousy. He wants to be the one with all the power to push people around and force them to do what he thinks is right and just.
He even says as much himself. He wants to be God.

HPatMoR posted:

He was wooing a beautiful Muggleborn girl, who came across him being bullied, and tried to rescue him.

"My father," Harry whispered. It was his best guess, the one thing that might save him. "My father tried to protect you from the bullies."
This makes no sense at all. Harry's assuming, for some reason, that Snape is gay and switched the gender of the muggleborn he was "wooing". Is this just supposed to show how amazingly progressive Harry is despite it being 1991 and him being 11?

HPatMoR posted:

Open question because I think it's interesting: Does Bellatrix LeStrange, a woman who tortured, murdered, and often both at once deserve a life sentence in Azkaban? A place of unending misery and slowly failing health?
I doubt you'd find many people anywhere who'd advocate for a real-world equivalent of Azkaban. Well, other than as empty bluster.

I'm not sure, but I think The Princess Bride actually gets referenced at some point in HPatMoR, so it's weird that the version of deception and manipulation it advocates is the ridiculous and obviously flawed version that Vizzini uses.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Since no-one's pointed it out yet, "Lesath" is a completely new character that in the end contributes nothing to the story besides this instance, and I think one more.

Also, the MoR version of occlumency is incredibly dumb, and gets worse with the first 'powerup' to it the character gets, fairly soonish.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Harry knows Yomi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
i found yuds authors notes archived

yud's authors notes posted:

Author's Notes for Ch. 27, 'Empathy':

Warning: Potential spoilers ahead if you have not read up through Ch. 27.

Erm, I have to say I'm a bit horrified by some of the reviews celebrating the death of Rita Skeeter. I know I didn't exactly write her as a sympathetic character, but consider yourselves lucky that the story's tone at this point didn't allow it, or Rita Skeeter would have two daughters attending Hogwarts, and the next scene would be Professor McGonagall calling them into her office to let them know that their mother went out on an assignment and never came back. I actually wrote some of that as a possible Omake. Maybe I'll finish it later.

Another possible Omake would be the scene in Mary's Room from Rita's point of view, her slight nervousness when Professor Quirrell mentioned having sealed the room, her sudden start when Professor Quirrell talked about tiny Animagi, her relief at hearing him say he wouldn't test for it, coupled with a growing fear that he already knew and was toying with her, followed by the shock of realizing that she had, somehow, been fooled by evidence that should have been unforgeable, knowing that she had to run before Lucius found her, run as fast as possible, but she was trapped in the room, listening to the words that Professor Quirrell made Harry repeat and suspecting with growing horror that she'd been righter in her article than she knew, her sudden frantic crawl as the waitress knocked and she realized that the door was about to open to let her out, and then her life ending so quickly that there wasn't even time to shift, just a single instant of realization before the crunch.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive, maybe it's just that as the author you live the life of every character in your stories, but I don't think Rita Skeeter was bad enough to deserve what, um, I did to her.

Some other readers have been saying a very silly thing, so let me state the following: It is possible that the human species has gotten through its entire history to date without a single professional editor ever sending back a story with a comment reading "This villain is too strong and needs to be weakened." Please bear this in mind when writing your own stories.

I know some of you really hate OCs, but Lesath Lestrange was inspired by Jeremiah Lestrange from "His Own Man" by Crunchysunrises, so he's not really original; you might consider it a sort of fanon, if that helps.

Those of you who are all like "Lily Evans was a good and virtuous woman and she broke off her friendship with Snape because he was studying Dark Arts, and she didn't go anywhere near James Potter until he stopped bullying", remember, Harry only knows the information Severus gave him. But also... a plain and poor boy is a good friend to a beautiful girl for years, and loves her, and pursues her fruitlessly; and then when the rich and handsome bully cleans up his act a bit, she goes home with him soon after... considering just how normal that is, I don't think you're allowed to write it and not have people at least wonder.

Nikara wrote in a review: "Harry reminds me so much of the kids at the gifted summer camp that I work at. His plots and the way that he speaks sounds so much like a CTY kid that it's almost uncanny."

Gosh, I thought to myself, who could these mysterious "CTY kids" possibly be -

No, I lie, I already knew that "CTY" was the Center for Talented Youth at John Hopkins, and a "CTY kid" was a high scorer on the tests they administer as part of their nationwide Talent Search program.

So, um... good call, that.

Included mostly because I found this funny. Yud WAS an obnoxious CTY kid.