Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

My coworkers would probably poison my coffee if I bought a device specifically for making clicking noises more often. And they'd be right to do it.

might i interest you in mynew invention, an orb into which you place your hand with the clicky thing. it has a padded cuff and sound-insulating technology derived From NASA® you can kickstart it for only $45 for Guaranteed® delivery by April of 20XX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Cross it with the pain box from Dune and you have yourself a deal.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that's the next unlockable reward tier, a pooryl wired 'hand warmer' that periodically shocks you

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the anime year

duTrieux. posted:

that's the next unlockable reward tier, a pooryl wired 'hand warmer' that periodically shocks you

i would buy this tbh

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

i doubt they filed for any patents at all, and in this case it's just an example of foreign manufacturers undercutting westerners. but nearly every product these days that's any good gets a quarter-price 100% shamelessly ripped off chinese copy within weeks of its appearance. earlier this year there was the case where that selfie stick iphone case was copied and on sale before the kickstarter for it had even closed.

like politicians trading stock based on their insider political knowledge, there's frequently nothing explicitly illegal about it -- it's just infuriating because it's unfair

"selfie stick iphone case" sounds like yet another thing that would never get meaningful IP protection on account of both obviousness and copious prior art.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i doubt they filed for any patents at all, and in this case it's just an example of foreign manufacturers undercutting westerners. but nearly every product these days that's any good gets a quarter-price 100% shamelessly ripped off chinese copy within weeks of its appearance. earlier this year there was the case where that selfie stick iphone case was copied and on sale before the kickstarter for it had even closed.

like politicians trading stock based on their insider political knowledge, there's frequently nothing explicitly illegal about it -- it's just infuriating because it's unfair

so what kind of intellectual property rights should the chinese government, in your mind, enforce here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

so what kind of intellectual property rights should the chinese government, in your mind, enforce here

"stop bein a dick you guys"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

maybe people should start trying to sell things that a random guy in a factory can't copy exactly by glancing over the description on a web page

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Nobody is compelling these dumb accessory makers to use chinese manufacturing companies

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Malleum posted:

Nobody is compelling these dumb accessory makers to use chinese manufacturing companies

do you think the accessory designers include a "don't use our manufacturing templates and production line to create identical widgets you sell to someone else" clause in their contracts with the factory?

because that's both the sort of thing you might expect a government to help enforce, and also the sort of thing a kickstarter createrer might not even think about ("I just need to get them to make me this many units, right?") and then get blindsided when it happens

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jabor posted:

do you think the accessory designers include a "don't use our manufacturing templates and production line to create identical widgets you sell to someone else" clause in their contracts with the factory?

because that's both the sort of thing you might expect a government to help enforce, and also the sort of thing a kickstarter createrer might not even think about ("I just need to get them to make me this many units, right?") and then get blindsided when it happens

you'd have to be pretty dumb not to expect knockoffs when you're producing stuff in china

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

maybe people should start trying to sell things that a random guy in a factory can't copy exactly by glancing over the description on a web page

mlyp :xd:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jabor posted:

a clause like that only protects you from that specific factory from selling knockoffs. any other factory you didn't sign a contract with can make whatever they want unless you've filed for an invention or design patent

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you could likely start producing knockoff fidget cubes in a factory inside the united states unless they filed for patents. china has nothing to do with it except chinese factories are really good at quickly spinning up production of cheap, easy to manufacture crap like the fidget cube

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wow

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*little kelly in the corner*

'theyre already hungry for more'

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

a clause like that only protects you from that specific factory from selling knockoffs. any other factory you didn't sign a contract with can make whatever they want unless you've filed for an invention or design patent

but why would they make something on their own when they can just run a second shift on the original production line and claim it's an entirely separate business enterprise with no connection to the first factory's beneficial owners

since the courts don't really work in china, people get pretty loving shameless about contract terms

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

My coworkers would probably poison my coffee

this wide range of chinese consumer products may interest your coworkers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but why would they make something on their own when they can just run a second shift on the original production line and claim it's an entirely separate business enterprise with no connection to the first factory's beneficial owners

since the courts don't really work in china, people get pretty loving shameless about contract terms

well if you have an actual good idea you better be filing for patents in addition to getting a good contract with your factory. these kickstarter guys probably do neither

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

also everything i hear is saying the courts are getting significantly better in china so the actual value of protecting your ip here might go up in the future so there's no real reason not to do it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fart simpson posted:

well if you have an actual good idea you better be filing for patents in addition to getting a good contract with your factory. these kickstarter guys probably do neither

neither patent or contract will help you in china.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Boiled Water posted:

neither patent or contract will help you in china.

yes they will

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if anyone is actually interested in this type of thing you should read china law blog

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Agile Vector posted:

*little kelly in the corner*

'theyre already hungry for more'

:vince:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the courts "work" but they're stacked entirely in favor of chinese buisnesses

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Improbable Lobster posted:

doubly so since most chinese enterprises are owned partly or completely by the state

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Improbable Lobster posted:

this apparently isn't true and a us companies have about the same win rate vs Chinese businesses as other Chinese businesses.

the problem is that there a nearly infinite number of Chinese manufacturers who produce these knock offs, including many small family operations. you can sue one and win but in that time period 20 more will be selling the same thing. if you could catch them early you might have a chance but by the time you see them selling on alibaba each one has already made more units than most of these kickstarters produce for their first round.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yep. we regularly shut down production of knockoff versions of our products and protect our ip in china and the process basically works ok, you just need to know what you're doing and figure out if it's worth it to spend the time and money to fight each individual case. sometimes it feels like there's thousands of different factories all making knockoffs of the same thing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i suspect a lot of the stories of foreign companies getting owned in china come from people who were basically shooting from the hip and hoping for the best instead of consulting actual lawyers with relevant experience beforehand

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its that inscrutable Chinese language

impossible for anyone to understand!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's pretty ignorant to say companies can't protect ip in china, but your average kickstarter company with no legal department, onsite oversight liaisons, litigation funds, previous relationships, or backup manufacturers who is already using the cheapest manufacturer they can find is really easy prey

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the Lily is done, and beginning to hand out refunds. Spent most of their money on r&d, couldn't get anyone to invest in them, and realized they were in 2017 and every consumer drone on the market does their one gimmick (which wasn't unique even on announcement)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

my one wish for 2017 is that people stop jizzing themselves over loving drones. there's nothing cool or interesting about them any more, just buy the cheapest one you can find on aliexpress and shut up about it

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Theres lots of neato things being done incrementally with them, at least with regards to sensor and cv related stuff. Theres pretty much noone that can compete with DJI on the consumer end when it comes to innovation though (which is why every investor looked at what lily had and went, "nah" - their entire featureset was replicated in about a month or so, no ip theft required).

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 14, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

i suspect a lot of the stories of foreign companies getting owned in china come from people who were basically shooting from the hip and hoping for the best instead of consulting actual lawyers with relevant experience beforehand

in countries where the courts work properly, showing up and shooting from the hip actually works

that's why people complain about contract enforcement in china, and not, say, the united states or germany

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

if anyone is actually interested in this type of thing you should read china law blog

funny you should mention it

here's a choice pull from the most recent article on china law blog

quote:

yesterday, one of our China lawyers got a similar email from a foreign buyer asking us essentially the same question. I discussed all of this with co-blogger Steve Dickinson and his response was “that’s what’s so cool about Chinese companies. They tell you what they are going to do. These two Chinese companies are saying if you don’t choose us we will steal your product. The choice is up to you. It’s up to our clients to listen”

I guess that is true. To which I can only ask whether you our readers agree that doing business in China and with China is only getting tougher.

there's the last ten years in chinese civil law development, right there: they used to just steal your product and not warn you. now they threaten you with ip theft up front.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in countries where the courts work properly, showing up and shooting from the hip actually works

that's why people complain about contract enforcement in china, and not, say, the united states or germany

no, i'm pretty sure showing up to court int he US with no clue about local law tends to work lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVbiefMdNU

• Locked thread