Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lycus posted:

Watch Peebee be an amazing and entertaining character.

She'll stumble through an invading army of Geth, inadvertently helping to destroy it, and by the second game she'll be a distinguished Senator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

She'll stumble through an invading army of Geth, inadvertently helping to destroy it, and by the second game she'll be a distinguished Senator.

Monsters out dere, leakin in here, all sinkin an no power? When are yousa tinkin' wesa in trouble?!
Dissen gonna be bery messy! Me no watchin!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Geostomp posted:

He also explains that the Prothean being such an expansive empire meant that they acted like pretty much every other expansive empire in history, which was kind of nice to see.

Isn't the allusion for Protheans basically "Space Rome?"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

Isn't the allusion for Protheans basically "Space Rome?"

Any empire, I'd say. Point being, you don't get to be a massive empire through genteel benevolence.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lycus posted:

Watch Peebee be an amazing and entertaining character.

I will

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So who in this thread is in the USA and has pre-ordered Andromeda? because with it getting released 1-2 days later in Europe / Australia / rest of world, you are our guinea pigs and I'm relying on you to give us accurate tales of just how poo poo or good this actually turns out to be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Helith posted:

So who in this thread is in the USA and has pre-ordered Andromeda? because with it getting released 1-2 days later in Europe / Australia / rest of world, you are our guinea pigs and I'm relying on you to give us accurate tales of just how poo poo or good this actually turns out to be.

Speaking strictly for myself, I'm planning to lie out of spite.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i will briskly play through the whole thing and focus exclusively on the parts that worked the least

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

chiasaur11 posted:

Speaking strictly for myself, I'm planning to lie out of spite.

Goons, spiteful! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.
Good job I factored that in and will check out Twitch streams too :colbert:

Super No Vacancy posted:

i will briskly play through the whole thing and focus exclusively on the parts that worked the least

Now that's the spirit of Goon reviewing!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Helith posted:

No one in this thread is from the United States, sorry.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'll be getting it on the release date, but probably won't have much time to play it until the weekend it comes out.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'll probably set aside a few days to play it at release.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Helith posted:

Two days is nothing, it's still got that new game smell. We need to wait at least two weeks before we try to gather up some sort of consensus.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'll play it slowly sometime near launch if there are no major red flags from the early reviews, and probably avoid this thread while doing it, because it will probably be very busy and full of posts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bongo Bill posted:

I'll play it slowly sometime near launch if there are no major red flags from the early reviews, and probably avoid this thread while doing it, because it will probably be very busy and full of posts.

How are you going to cope without reading 5 pages of people talking about their install / download progress?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Yeah, I know, right>? Like, we've got TWO whole other games of Garrus and Tali, a previous one of Liara and Grunt, Hell, even EDI was a significant characterin 2. We already had a human, but now...oh, great it's another human. The only memorable thing about James was that he wasn't an irredeemable pile of poo poo that Ashley or Kaiden was. No, I DON'T want you back on my team, Kaiden you ungrateful piece of crap. Go complain to someone else.

James was such a good character that if he was in ME1 neither Ashley nor Kaiden would have ever left the nuclear bomb planet or reappeared in ME2.

Also when you meet up again in ME2 James would have given you a brofist with a guitar riff instead of the awkward conversations that we're stuck with.

^ I'm pretty sure everyone here has colossal steam catalogue backlogs and will find a way to pass the time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

James was good. Not great, but he would have been a solid middle tier NPC in ME2, easily beating out trash people like Thane and Jacob.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 9, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Helith posted:

Sorry dude, I'm renting this down the line. But I'm sure many a Youtube/Streamer z list internet celebrity will flood the net with videos for you to watch them give likely glowing praise while they can't figure out how to use abilities or even play the game for days!

Honestly, they should really let whoever designed the jellyfish aliens to come up with other characters that either join as new DLC companions or at least species that move into colonies and your ship like Xeno Chronicles X. You want to make a game now about colonizing and pioneering? You should really let cities grow to look like a mishmash of stuff from the Milky Way mix with the stuff we uncover and find in Andromeda. Maybe get away from the idea that they all have to be humanoids with bird/crab/blue skin and go wild again.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 9, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Are there less races in this game than the last MEs? They're only adding two bipedal races that are opposites, which is pretty boring if we're potentially losing Elcor, Hanar Quarians, Geth, Thane's species, Keepers(!) and Vorcha. I don't know if i'm missing any or if any are confirmed from this list though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm sure they'll have mroe things as side candy. It's hard to say there'll be more or less at the moment.

So I've modded Dragon Age Inq to make it waste my time less, and one time all my team died except for Cassandra. I was fighting a couple bad dudes with her sword and board and it was just so loving boring. Doing damage 100 HP at a time against like four baddudes took forever. My archer inquisitor is much more fun to play as.

Is combat with a sword just that boring? She'd pretty much maxed out her sword skills. Good lord. Playing that way for ten minutes was enough to make sure that I never die again.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

I'm sure they'll have mroe things as side candy. It's hard to say there'll be more or less at the moment.

So I've modded Dragon Age Inq to make it waste my time less, and one time all my team died except for Cassandra. I was fighting a couple bad dudes with her sword and board and it was just so loving boring. Doing damage 100 HP at a time against like four baddudes took forever. My archer inquisitor is much more fun to play as.

Is combat with a sword just that boring? She'd pretty much maxed out her sword skills. Good lord. Playing that way for ten minutes was enough to make sure that I never die again.

I take it you did not take combat roll and the talents that improve it? If so, you are doing it wrong. Both from a DPS perspective and from a fun perspective.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

I take it you did not take combat roll and the talents that improve it? If so, you are doing it wrong. Both from a DPS perspective and from a fun perspective.

We all know the best way to tackle Dainq from a fun perspective.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Skippy McPants posted:

James was good. Not great, but he would have been a solid middle tier NPC in ME2, easily beating out trash people like Thane and Jacob.

James and Javik were good characters in ME3 because they were one-off squadmates who didn't have to be written responsively to your Shepard from the first two games. Unsurprisingly ME as a whole gets its best character development from the games were your companions don't play a prominent role. Jack and Mordin get a nice arc in ME3 when they're no longer a part of your team. Liara has her best moments in ME2 and then has almost nothing to do in the third game. Characters like Kaidan/Ashley who could be alive or dead, could have romanced Shepard or not, could think you're great or a jerk or who knows, they're a lot harder to get around and so cannot be written definitively. And now you're splitting time between all the different permutations trying to make each sound equally plausible to the player. So the whole choice-based narrative does get in the way of good character development sometimes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Choice-based narratives make coherent character development really hard, particularly if the character may or may not be present.

It's even more difficult when the characters are secondary to the fact that they are necessary for the player's gameplay experience. For example, how Wrex just stands down on Virmire if it'd mean Shepard doesn't have enough people in their squad.

We did sort of see this in ME2 where there were a few loyalty missions - Garrus' especially - where doing the morally shady thing (like killing Sidonis) seemed to be the only thing that'd result in loyalty going forwards, but then you can do either to get it. It becomes very hard then to say what Garrus' arc is, for example. Or, if you can determine his arc, what his narrative is.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Milky Moor posted:

We did sort of see this in ME2 where there were a few loyalty missions - Garrus' especially - where doing the morally shady thing (like killing Sidonis) seemed to be the only thing that'd result in loyalty going forwards, but then you can do either to get it. It becomes very hard then to say what Garrus' arc is, for example. Or, if you can determine his arc, what his narrative is.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Garrus' narrative is living as the lesser Shepard. His arc is about coming to terms with the fact that he's not a protagonist.

But yes, I agree that branching stories make character development a lot more tricksome.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Does it really matter when Bioware's MO is to just shoehorn the character into whatever arc they want the character to have in the current game regardless of how the previous one went?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Back when I first played ME1 and I heard some marketing or developer guy say that your choices would carry forward into later games and it would all add up to something, I knew that was gonna be bullshit because I had played Fable.

Luckily like Fable, the Mass Effect games are enjoyable enough on their own that it wasn't a big deal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Cythereal posted:

Does it really matter when Bioware's MO is to just shoehorn the character into whatever arc they want the character to have in the current game regardless of how the previous one went?

Hey Shep, I know you almost left me to die in a Prothean ruin on some bumfuck planet and killed my mom, but I loved you so much that I risked everything to return you to life.

Haha just kidding, everybody hosed the sexy blue spacebabe in ME1 anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

Need official Bioware stats.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I think she has a majority of the pie chart in ME1, and even in 3 she still holds on to over a third. So, yeah. However much poo poo people might give Bioware for the Asari, it's not like we, the players, are any less deserving of mockery.

Rinkles posted:

Need official Bioware stats.

Sadly, they only ever gave out official stats for popularity, though Liara wins there as well, barely edging out Garrus.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 9, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Serf posted:

Back when I first played ME1 and I heard some marketing or developer guy say that your choices would carry forward into later games and it would all add up to something, I knew that was gonna be bullshit because I had played Fable.

The ending of ME3 is bad to a famous degree and makes nothing matter ever but the series does a really good job carrying choices forward and tons of stuff changes based on what you did in past games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I think she has a majority of the pie chart in ME1, and even in 3 she still holds on to over a third. So, yeah. However much poo poo people might give Bioware for the Asari, it's not like we, the players, are any less deserving of mockery.

The most surprising thing on this chart is that Liara apparently only has a 54% survival rate. There is only one segment in all three games where she can even die. Tons of people must have taken her to the final mission with a low war score.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

"Romance sexy blue alien babe, then dump that ho as soon as Tali shows any interest." -Paragon Shep

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The ending of ME3 is bad to a famous degree and makes nothing matter ever but the series does a really good job carrying choices forward and tons of stuff changes based on what you did in past games.

I mean, there's really nothing else like it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TotalHell posted:

"Romance sexy blue alien babe, then dump that ho as soon as Tali shows any interest." -Paragon Shep

"Romance blue alien chick, then dump her the moment a human woman [Traynor] arrives and is interested." - My standard approach.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skippy McPants posted:

Sadly, they only ever gave out official stats for popularity, though Liara wins there as well, barely edging out Garrus.

People like Liara? What the gently caress?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

:psyduck: that Wrex statistic, what the gently caress

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

the good fax machine posted:

People like Liara? What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

frajaq posted:

:psyduck: that Wrex statistic, what the gently caress

Wrex defaults to dead if you didn't have an ME2 import, so those figures are probably skewed somewhat.