Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

scrubs season six posted:

What are your tax avoidance strategies?

Go to a good accountant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
May I please direct everyone to the IRS guide for reporting gambling winnings.

Do note that gambling losses are only deductible to the extent of gambling winnings.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Go to a good accountant

Pretty much this. There's no way to hide it from the government...obviously.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Freemasons

I can't speak to the rest of the organizations you tried to join, but I can tell you that the Freemasons tried to dissuade you because it's not an occult organization. It's merely occult-adjacent, because some notable occultists were Freemasons, and some occult organizations have co-opted some of the symbols of Freemasonry.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

Go to a good accountant

Good as in one that knows and adheres to all the laws, or good as in does all kinds of shady poo poo?

Because I think it's generally pretty hard to make income into non income after it has already been incomed.

Short of giving a ton of money to charity (which isn't going to result in a net increase of money in your pocket) or (potentially) going for the annuity instead of the lump sum, I don't think there are ways to avoid a significant amount of taxes on a large lottery win.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 9, 2017

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Audax posted:

May I please direct everyone to the IRS guide for reporting gambling winnings.

Do note that gambling losses are only deductible to the extent of gambling winnings.

A bar in my hometown has Keno run by the Ohio lottery. They keep "waste" baskets for losing tickets, and people who hit the big prizes that are taxable can take enough losing tickets and have them negate the tax burden. Since all the tickets are bought with cash, the government never knows who really purchased them.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
There's no way to avoid the tax hit on lottery winnings. Doesn't matter how creative your accountant is.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
A trust redeems the winning ticket for you and can then pay out however much you decide yearly, at which point you pay tax on the payouts at a much lower rate than you would have on the lump sum. The pro move is to pull out like 50-100k a year and pour most of it into "business expenses" that coincide with your hobbies, and pay almost nothing. Another advantage of this is that with a big enough principal and a reasonably sized payout you can do this literally forever, as you are just pulling from the interest. You never have to work again and neither do your children's children.

Or, you know, take all you can as cash, buy you/momma/weird uncle houses, buy a fast car, some great drugs, get yourself into trouble with the law and let lawyers take the rest. Whatever works for you.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

The Management posted:

There's no way to avoid the tax hit on lottery winnings. Doesn't matter how creative your accountant is.

Move to Canada. (No tax on lotto winnings fyi)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Up until around last February, soon before I turned 21, I hadn't ever kissed a girl. This is probably because of low self esteem - I've always been confident about every aspect of myself other than my looks, having always had lovely haircuts and ugly glasses. Still, I'm funny, and in high school I knew a few girls that were almost certainly into me and giving me signs to ask them out, but I always had that voice telling myself that they were just being nice, and I was too afraid of people hearing about my rejection too go ahead with it. As an introvert, when I got to college I didn't make much of an effort to be social and so I just stayed in my room most of the time. Then I studied abroad for a semester last Spring and my relocation to a big city, where I could choose not to give a poo poo if I got rejected, led to my getting my first girlfriend. It was pretty cool to experience all that emotional closeness and stuff and we sort agreed to keep this fling going until I had to leave the country and go back.

Well, I still can't stop thinking of her. I don't know about love but I sure loved the five months we spent together. We've continued to text and call later on, but I think we were both trying to contact each other less often to help each other get over everything. Maybe about a month after I had left, I developed jealous feelings and started stalking her on facebook and other social media. I would see when she was last online and scroll through the activity ticker to see what she had done lately, and check out new people she had added... I would never tell anyone about this but I guess I just can't stand the thought of her being with another guy. I've spent maybe 15-20 minutes every day just catching up on her public life on social media. When she does find another guy, I'm not going to be even creepier and try to talk her out of it, I guess I'm just kind of following her social life with dread. I think because this was my only relationship and it was so great I've just clinged on to it. I've had sex and hookups since then, but they didn't really do anything to help me get over her.

I kind of would like to tell her that I feel this way but I don't want to creep her out, and there is only a very low chance that we will ever live in the same city again. Maybe we will, but I don't want her to be emotionally burdened too. And I feel like after half a year, now, I really should be more over her.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest. I'm trying to make myself stop stalking her like this; I know we each have our own free lives now, etc etc, but this kind of morbid curiosity makes me keep coming back. I know one answer is probably to get therapy but I'm on my parents' insurance and I don't want them to know I saw someone.

Romantic-comedy answer is "move back to her city, make it a surprise, show up on her doorstep with some flowers or something"

More realistic answer is that you've probably gotten as much out of rebound hookups as you're reliably going to. Try actually dating someone again.

Personally I was lucky enough that my first LTR after being a nerdy shut-in for way too long ended really badly, to the point that by the time I had stopped being mad at her I was far enough removed from the relationship to see past the rose-colored glasses and recognize all the problems there had been.

quote:

My anonymous confession is that I am in love. With a mostly fictional character. I am completely in love with a Finnish musician who I have never met, never spoke to and know nothing about. I have incredibly vivid dreams about him every night. Some are sex dreams, sure, but most of them are mundane, e.g. we are eating in a restaurant, we are walking along a street, we talk a lot in my dreams. I know noting about this man, I don't know how old he is, I don't know if he's a nice man, if he's famous, nothing. BUT I HAVE TO MEET HIM. I have to get this man out of my head. I have been trying to learn Finnish (I am American) and I plan to go to Finland this summer and find him. For the record, I am a 42 year old woman. I am a professional graphic designer, I'm not a man crazy weirdo. I know this is stupid. But all my dreams are about him. I know what he smells like. I know what his laugh sounds like. I hope he is a total creep so I can stop thinking about him and get on with my life. Thanks for listening GBS.

lady

you are 42 years old

stop being 14 please

like, by your age you should probably know that this kind of fixation is not "love"

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

lady

you are 42 years old

stop being 14 please

like, by your age you should probably know that this kind of fixation is not "love"

I actually totally understand this one... I'm in love with Bård Ylvisåker too, but he's Norwegian, not Finnish.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

loquacius posted:

lady

you are 42 years old

stop being 14 please

please don't be Varg

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

runupon cracker posted:

I actually totally understand this one... I'm in love with Bård Ylvisåker too, but he's Norwegian, not Finnish.

same but todd terje

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

runupon cracker posted:

I can't speak to the rest of the organizations you tried to join, but I can tell you that the Freemasons tried to dissuade you because it's not an occult organization. It's merely occult-adjacent, because some notable occultists were Freemasons, and some occult organizations have co-opted some of the symbols of Freemasonry.

Yeah this is true. My dad was a member when he was younger and he said it was essentially a drinking club for older men who occasionally liked to play dressup. He said the most interesting topics of discussion during meetings were such spooky topics as whether to have lasagna or spaghetti for the dinner next meeting.

Or maybe that's just the cover story they gave him :tinfoil:

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

please don't be Varg

Varg is Norwegian bitch.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah this is true. My dad was a member when he was younger and he said it was essentially a drinking club for older men who occasionally liked to play dressup. He said the most interesting topics of discussion during meetings were such spooky topics as whether to have lasagna or spaghetti for the dinner next meeting.

Or maybe that's just the cover story they gave him :tinfoil:

It's a lot of things to a lot of people. Many enjoy it purely for the social aspect, but there are a lot of members who really enjoy the symbolism and other esoteric subjects. Lodge discussions can (and have) included math, geometry, physics, biology, psychology, anthropology, philosophy, etc. Anything under the sun except politics and religion.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

420 SWAGLORD posted:

A trust redeems the winning ticket for you and can then pay out however much you decide yearly, at which point you pay tax on the payouts at a much lower rate than you would have on the lump sum. The pro move is to pull out like 50-100k a year and pour most of it into "business expenses" that coincide with your hobbies, and pay almost nothing. Another advantage of this is that with a big enough principal and a reasonably sized payout you can do this literally forever, as you are just pulling from the interest. You never have to work again and neither do your children's children.

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

quote:

My anonymous confession is that I am in love. With a mostly fictional character. I am completely in love with a Finnish musician who I have never met, never spoke to and know nothing about. I have incredibly vivid dreams about him every night. Some are sex dreams, sure, but most of them are mundane, e.g. we are eating in a restaurant, we are walking along a street, we talk a lot in my dreams. I know noting about this man, I don't know how old he is, I don't know if he's a nice man, if he's famous, nothing. BUT I HAVE TO MEET HIM. I have to get this man out of my head. I have been trying to learn Finnish (I am American) and I plan to go to Finland this summer and find him. For the record, I am a 42 year old woman. I am a professional graphic designer, I'm not a man crazy weirdo. I know this is stupid. But all my dreams are about him. I know what he smells like. I know what his laugh sounds like. I hope he is a total creep so I can stop thinking about him and get on with my life. Thanks for listening GBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHReqKRvonE

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20140927/news/309279988

http://info.legalzoom.com/create-trust-claim-lottery-winnings-26346.html

Sorry you're poor :( it's hosed up obv but rich people pretty much don't pay tax. I thought everyone knew that...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

420 SWAGLORD posted:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20140927/news/309279988

http://info.legalzoom.com/create-trust-claim-lottery-winnings-26346.html

Sorry you're poor :( it's hosed up obv but rich people pretty much don't pay tax. I thought everyone knew that...

Did you actually read either of those? Because I bet you didn't. Just go ahead and cut and paste where they say that a trust allows you to avoid income taxes on a lottery winning.

Have you ever paid taxes before?

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Did you actually read either of those? Because I bet you didn't. Just go ahead and cut and paste where they say that a trust allows you to avoid income taxes on a lottery winning.

Have you ever paid taxes before?

I did not, they're the first two results for "lottery trust anonymous". Legal research to win an internet argument does not sound fun. I have never personally paid taxes, because accountants are so much better at that than I could ever be (also it does not sound fun). This isn't much fun either and I don't want to derail, I hope you have a wonderful day <3

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I know. Because I know how trusts work.

Rich people tend not to pay a high percentage of taxes due to things like carrying over operating losses (e.g. Trump) and the lower rates of long term capital gains.

Somehow I doubt Mr. UPS Driver lotto winner has millions of dollars of prior operating losses and I am not a tax attorney but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you can't claim a lotto ticket as a long term investment.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

I know. Because I know how trusts work.

Rich people tend not to pay a high percentage of taxes due to things like carrying over operating losses (e.g. Trump) and the lower rates of long term capital gains.

Somehow I doubt Mr. UPS Driver lotto winner has millions of dollars of prior operating losses and I am not a tax attorney but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you can't claim a lotto ticket as a long term investment.

please stop owning me :( and if you ever stumble across a big ol pile of money just talk to a good accountant/tax attorney before you pick it up ok?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Yeah, I'm going to have to concur with this statement.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

jeeze we're all friends in gbs no need for such brutal ownage over low tax law

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm actually a tax accountant can y'all just shut up now thx

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
This 42 year old obsessed woman is going to try to murder this Finnish guy, isn't she?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

420 SWAGLORD posted:

I have never personally paid taxes, because accountants are so much better at that than I could ever be (also it does not sound fun).

You may want to look into this situation.

Nah, nevermind, the IRS will reach out to you first.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

ahhhh

AHHHHHHHHHHH

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
42 year old computer lady

hmmm gonna take a stab in the dark and say it's ville valo that's gonna get murdered

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stale Saltines posted:

same but todd terje

Todd Terje is great because it's like listening to the Paper Mario soundtrack but it makes you a hipster instead of a nerd

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I don't know who any of that is.

what is it lately with goons in gbs trying to out-adult one another, who cares. Bring me that sweet lottery money, daddy needs some golden teeth

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Police Automaton posted:

paper mario is mario but he is made of paper

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Paper Mario is good

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Or, you know, take all you can as cash, buy you/momma/weird uncle houses, buy a fast car, some great drugs, get yourself into trouble with the law and let lawyers take the rest. Whatever works for you.

Win the lottery, then do a bunch of shady stuff that waves as many red flags as possible, all for strictly tax avoidance purposes. Surely your taxes won't be under any scrutiny after having won, and you'll just slide right by. Also, trusts income is generally taxed to beneficiary whether paid out (distributed) or not.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CPA Hell posted:

Win the lottery, then do a bunch of shady stuff that waves as many red flags as possible, all for strictly tax avoidance purposes. Surely your taxes won't be under any scrutiny after having won, and you'll just slide right by. Also, trusts income is generally taxed to beneficiary whether paid out (distributed) or not.

No man trusts are a magical shield against taxation. Just make a trust and the government is powerless to steal your money. You just have to know your rights. I do not consent.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Actually no one has to pay taxes at all because they're not specifically outlined in the constitution so suck on that Obama

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Paper Mario doesn't talk, doesn't have much in terms of opinions, but he does have a laugh. I hope that lady isn't going to try to kill Paper Mario in Finland. :ohdear:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Police Automaton posted:

what is it lately with goons in gbs trying to out-adult one another, who cares. Bring me that sweet lottery money, daddy needs some golden teeth

It's like how ten years ago you'd have Console Wars where people would get seriously mad about video game choices, now goons are all older so they get mad about tax code

and also video game choices (the xbox one has the wrong kind of ram)

quote:

The confession about demons/demonology spurred me to send this in.

I was raised Catholic; my aunt is a nun and my Grandmother taught at a Catholic school, so the faith was very important to all of us. It still is, although I haven't been to church as much as I should lately with a new baby.

My great, great uncle told my Dad a story when he was a kid. I cannot vouch for the truth, but it is interesting and relates to that other confession. My great great uncle was a missionary in Africa in the early 1920s. There was a small village he spent time at, teaching the locals about Catholicism, showing them how to get safe drinkable water, and teaching them about diseases and how to prevent and treat them. There was one house he was barred from entering, and he respected that and did not go in until he was asked to, after about a month living in the village.

The room smelled terrible, and my great great uncle soon discovered why - poo poo was smeared all over the walls, the ceiling, and laid in piles all around the room. Rotten food was scattered all over the place like it had been tossed around, and every piece of furniture or pottery or art had been smashed. There was a girl tied to a chair in the corner, thrashing around and screaming. She was covered head to toe in thick, shaggy hair. One of the natives explained that she was possessed by a monster, and that after hearing stories from the bible, they thought my great great uncle could exorcise her.

My great great uncle was a man of faith, but he was also trained in science and medicine. Before even considering an exorcism he consulted all his medical textbooks. Long story short, the girl wasn't possessed. She had Hypertrichosis - that disease that causes people to grow shaggy fur across their whole body. Lots of carnival performers back then claimed to be "the wolf boy" or "the bearded lady" and had that. She was also severely mentally handicapped (he said retarded and I guess that was the closest diagnosis they could get back then) and was just plain angry, confused, and scared by being tied to a goddamn chair in a poo poo filled house for years.

My uncle untied the girl, cleaned up the hut, and helped the girl as best he could for the rest of the time he lived in that village. He left

That's all exorcism is, usually. People with an untreated mental illness, or some kind of physical deformity that people did not understand at the time. Exorcisms "work" in this case for the same reason placebos work - you think it SHOULD work, and it does. Either the supposedly possessed person feels a difference, or the parents will say "oh yeah he still has some anger issues but the house just feels safe now, the evil is gone".

Do I believe some cases of possession are real? Yeah - but definitely not any you've seen on TV or read about online. I think those true possession cases are so terrifying to the families involved that they are content to have those stories buried away forever.

I'm gonna be honest with you, this sounds believable both as a story and as a family legend and I'm not really sure how your conclusion after hearing everything is "ok SOME possessions are real though". I dunno, I'm not Catholic and haven't really spoken to any serious Catholics about demons, maybe it's A Thing for them :shrug:

quote:

I work in the medical field and my hospital recently got these robots. They are basically little roving pharmacies; they follow a path and take meds to each patient's room, drop them off, then leave.

My boss pulled everybody in to a meeting to explain the robots and that they weren't there to take our jobs but to help us focus on important things. Then he brought in one of the robots along with an engineer. The robot had a hard time getting through the door and I jokingly said "it's no R2D2 that's for sure" and got some laughs.

A few days later I was doing my rounds and saw one of the robots roaming around. I swear to God it turned around and looked at me. It has this camera lens to track where it's moving, and I swear on all things that lens was staring right at me.

That night I was clocking out and saw another robot just sitting by the pharmacy, I guess waiting for the next time it had to go drop off pills. I was starting to get creeped out so I went over and said "I'm sorry I insulted you or your brother" then left. When I got in the parking garage it was about 1 am, and the employee lot is pretty empty at this point. I got to my car and there was a nasty key slash on the side. We're not in a great neighborhood so this has happened before, but what happened next scared me shitless. I heard a whirring electric motor on the floor below me, the same sound as those pharamacy bots.

I drove home and barely slept.

I had the next 3 days off, and when I came to work next we had all 4 pharmacy robots up and running and everybody was raving about them. The engineer was spending time at the hospital to monitor everything, and I asked if the robots could go in the parking garage. He said no, only the hospital is mapped and they can't go off the map. They can't even go in the ER or ICU floor since they're not needed there. I chalked my scary experience up to tiredness and felt okay.

I was heading to grab some food around 10 pm and came to the T-intersection right before the cafeteria, and I just needed to keep moving straight to get there. One of the robots was coming down the hallway in front of me. That's okay, I just moved to the left hallway to let him pass. Except there was a robot there too. And the other hallway. And the scariest part - one in the hallway I had just come down. It had been following me for who knows how long. They very aggressively moved on me before I finally just pushed one to the side a bit and ran to the cafeteria.

I saw the engineer the next day and explained what happened. He denied it and said the robots wouldn't cross paths like that. He walked me through their data log and at that time, all 4 of them were supposedly in sleep mode next to the pharmacy, waiting for their next calls. But I know what I saw and experienced.

Speaking as a guy who has programmed robots, this story is of course horsefeathers, but on a more fundamental level, I'm trying to imagine being intimidated by a pill mailman robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get the trope that people possessed spread poo poo and vomit everywhere. Thats not demonic, just unclean.