Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Love Crime posted:

:lol:

Start unloading your AoN's now because yesterday's test patch has the greatest stealth nerf in history, you can no longer illusion or mount/dismount through doors

I mean all doors. I was the first person to notice on test with grummus door testing the new agents of change added and thought "well ok, guess they really want you to kill gryme first" then went to saryn's tower and couldn't get in it and thought "well this seems a bit much but ok at least it's PoP stuff for phinny" then boom, can't do it for VT or Ssra or even into the future with Txevu anymore, nothing works at all, not mounting/dismounting, not shadowstepping, not sending a pet through to open it up, nothing
Oh gently caress, that's quite a blow. I know it's a bug (or rather, unintended consequence of how the EQ engine works), but drat I've been using it all over on Live and Test throughout the years for exploring.

I really thought they would never fix it.

At the least they could give Pick Lock to some more classes or make drops / quests available to open certain doors, for example make frogs in Sebilis rarely drop a master key for Sebilis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
I genuinely don't understand what they're thinking with it. They've known for over 12 years since GoD how to add doors that would boot you back outside of if you were in an area you weren't supposed to be in yet.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I just don't get it, who gives a poo poo at this point? Sure there's a lot more AoNs on phinny now but most of the use on Live servers was to break into ancient content you didn't have keys for. Who really cares at this point if you AoN through the crypt in Seb or whatever?

The cynic in me says someone read my idea of making a cash store item that gives temporary utility skills like pick lock and tracking but I doubt DBG would even exert that much effort.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

So I know most people on here are playing on the time locked servers but...anyone been checking out the new expansion? Curious what it offers and if it's any good.

thewhitehand
Sep 11, 2008
There's great group gear and a few decent spells from EOK.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
What is this 'Live' of which you speak?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Harettazetta posted:

What is this 'Live' of which you speak?

A miserable group of people.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
I came back from a 3ish year break and was playing on test maybe a month ago and have switched back to live. I don't box and there's just not enough people on test/everyone is boxing full groups so it feels like even more of a ghost town. On live there are still less people than in ages past but I am mostly able to find groups and general chat is usually pretty lively. Less people box groups because they don't want to spend money, but there are still some. I'm on Luclin. YMMV but I imagine it's much the same elsewhere.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Not Grover posted:

I came back from a 3ish year break and was playing on test maybe a month ago and have switched back to live. I don't box and there's just not enough people on test/everyone is boxing full groups so it feels like even more of a ghost town. On live there are still less people than in ages past but I am mostly able to find groups and general chat is usually pretty lively. Less people box groups because they don't want to spend money, but there are still some. I'm on Luclin. YMMV but I imagine it's much the same elsewhere.

This is a good expansion, with a lot of good stuff for groupers. So there's a lot of people playing and doing things right now. We're hitting enough players in EoK zones to spawn pickzones reasonably often.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

:toot: :toot:

8th expansion in a row that we've won.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
That loving dragon.

That was, what, at least five of the eleven hours we spent on the final tier?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

That loving dragon.

That was, what, at least five of the eleven hours we spent on the final tier?

The first ~90 minutes were clearing T2, so less than 10 hours for T3. We were on the dragon for about 4:40.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Now Kuvani will come back to wreck some more homes on Phinigel.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I wish I had stuck with Phinigel.

If not for the stupid exp rate, I'd fire that poo poo back up. Despite it's obvious money grab shenanigans, it was cool to plow through some
vanilla content. When they launch the next TLE server I may consider actually sticking with it this time if the rule-set is decent.

But it won't be because :daybreak

Also, who was the big bad of the last expansion?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Givin posted:

I wish I had stuck with Phinigel.

If not for the stupid exp rate, I'd fire that poo poo back up. Despite it's obvious money grab shenanigans, it was cool to plow through some
vanilla content. When they launch the next TLE server I may consider actually sticking with it this time if the rule-set is decent.

But it won't be because :daybreak

Also, who was the big bad of the last expansion?

I give it a 75% chance its a phinigel clone that will come out right as GoD&OoW lands so that people can keep doing the first expansions only perpetually. Machen and Dima assert that GoD isn't what kills prog servers, but the perception is there that it does and I bet DBG has a much better picture than their 'use general chat and count by day' method. In any case, same (advertised) unlock speed, same xp rates, same lack of basic game features until later expansions, same instance/openworld bullshit, just updated with the iterative changes made like making the VP key faster and not having things broken all the time (until they catch up to Phin or another hilarious exploit is found to let guilds do something they shouldn't, then prevent everyone else from even getting the instance while said guild has nothing happen to them.)

I give it a 100% chance that its truebox. I'm not sure if they give a poo poo about isboxer or not but vocal people stomp all over any suggestion of making boxing easier.

It's too bad it won't come out at the same time as PoP does on Phinigel, because unless Absor changes his mind (and all indications show that he won't) then Plane of Storms is going to be a clusterfuck on an unprecedented level.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
I have nooooo interest dealing with Classic with the illusion-through-doors bug fixed.

Poor AoN. :smith:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hoohah posted:

It's too bad it won't come out at the same time as PoP does on Phinigel, because unless Absor changes his mind (and all indications show that he won't) then Plane of Storms is going to be a clusterfuck on an unprecedented level.

Oh man PoStorms, I bet that will be fun with every druid thinking they're good and can charm frogs to kill beeeezzzzz

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Ahahahahaha. I remembered camping for those medallions back on Lanys and the shitshow it was for two guilds going after them.. And then it hit me, holy loving poo poo there are probably like 20 guilds on Phinny that are raid capable.

Not only that, but you NEED the medallions to even casually progress through the entire loving expansion. And then I went to the official forums and read about how they're not budging on this.

I almost want to come back just so I can spend the entirety of PoP grinding AAs so I can do all the content after that since I never experienced it. But when I read about poo poo like that, I come back to my senses.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

What are the medallions for? It's been forever since I did PoP and we were one of the only guilds progressing in the expac for a long time.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I've been busy as hell, and I'm kind of burned out in Luclin from going so hard, but man hearing it's going to be a cluster gently caress like it was getting VT keys makes it hard to want to come back for what I've been wanting to play since I heard phinny was a thing. I miss the guild but man I'm struggling to want to raid Vex Thal.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

MF_James posted:

What are the medallions for? It's been forever since I did PoP and we were one of the only guilds progressing in the expac for a long time.

Flagging for Bastion of Thunder. Most every other flag is from a raid kill where guilds can get 72 flags in one go, but this one requires each individual collect a set of rare/random drops off different types of giants in PoStorms. So imagine the zone full of xp groups all fighting over a limited number of spawns. At least they'll have /pick instances to help a little.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Krycek posted:

Flagging for Bastion of Thunder. Most every other flag is from a raid kill where guilds can get 72 flags in one go, but this one requires each individual collect a set of rare/random drops off different types of giants in PoStorms. So imagine the zone full of xp groups all fighting over a limited number of spawns. At least they'll have /pick instances to help a little.

That's right I forgot about those, I soloed 1 or 2 of the medallions with druid charm on frogs. Fun stuff.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I have absolutely no memory of said medallion farm in Plane of Storms....
But I do remember not spending one minute more than strictly necessary in that Plane, as my old computer had major problems with frame rates in that zone. Was it something with the foliage?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Question about Phinny:

Now that it is several expansions in, is there any limitation for requesting old world raid instances like naggy or plane of hate?

Example:
Could my group request a naggy instance and farm for epic drops without having to worry about being banished?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Givin posted:

Question about Phinny:

Now that it is several expansions in, is there any limitation for requesting old world raid instances like naggy or plane of hate?

Example:
Could my group request a naggy instance and farm for epic drops without having to worry about being banished?

If you get the instances version anyone can do that without being banished. But it's still only once a week.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Givin posted:

Question about Phinny:

Example:

Yes, there are small groups that go back and do a lot of previous era content to get these items and either sell or use them.

Currently all Classic, Kunark, and Velious instances have their trash respawning. This is supposedly fixed in the next patch, but if you were to do it this weekend, you'd have to contend with things possibly respawning on you. Luclin (and PoP in a month) already don't have respawning.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hoohah posted:

Now Kuvani will come back to wreck some more homes on Phinigel.

KUVANI MISSES U

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Anyone know when PoP is going to open in Phinny ?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
First week of Feb I believe

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I haven't played on Phinny since Velious - has the exp level been bumped since then ?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Baconroll posted:

I haven't played on Phinny since Velious - has the exp level been bumped since then ?

Nope.

It might in the future at certain expac releases (Fippy/Vulak dudes mentioned it being slow until Omens or so) but I wouldn't count on it, they're probably making twice the profit off Phinigel that they did with Combine/Sleeper/Fippy/Vulak combined with xp pots.

AA XP rates are split from regular XP rates though, and AAs aren't too bad. There's a couple of place in Luclin / Velious where you can get 3-4% per kill, when I remember back in ye olde days of the earlier progression servers wasn't possible (2%ish was about the highest). There's also places (The Deep) where you can get 1-2% from low health targets, but they're constantly being pulled for AE groups.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I went to hill giants to get some money because I had sunk all my money at launch in alchemy when I was raiding with MiM. The entire hill was being locked down by two mages.

Welp.....

I think if I ever do this again I'm going to level a necro/mage first so I can have a chance to at least get cash. I figured sure as hell there was better cash generating methods than giants were, especially for luclin geared chars. I guess I remembered wrong.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Swirling Shadows WERE good then the mage army hit that too. Mistmoore wasn't bad cash when I was farming it for the ranger spell, not holy poo poo good but I could clear out a few camps while waiting for vampire fang PHs to pop and vendor.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Patch today on Live, which demystifies a few ancient aspects about stats and combat.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=37015

quote:

*** UI ***

- Added a velocity label to the stats page of the inventory window which will display your current movement speed.
- Changed the display of the 'Attack' statistic to show its component parts: 'Offense' and 'Accuracy':
- - The Offense stat increases your likelihood to deal more damage when you land a melee attack and is countered by your opponent's Mitigation stat.
- - The Accuracy stat increases your likelihood to land a hit on your opponent in melee combat and is countered by your opponent's Evasion stat.
- Changed the display of the 'Armor Class' statistic to show its component parts: 'Mitigation' and 'Evasion':
- - Although the new numbers are lower, your effective Armor Class is the same. These new numbers have always been used in combat calculations.
- - The Mitigation stat increases the likelihood for you to take less damage when you are hit by a melee attack and is countered by your opponent's Offense stat.
- - The Evasion stat increases the likelihood for you to avoid being hit by a melee attack and is countered by your opponent's Accuracy stat.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Patch today on Live, which demystifies a few ancient aspects about stats and combat.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=37015

Saw that myself, pretty great (and overdue by 2 decades, lol).

Anyone know if this breaks existing custom UIs? I use Vert myself.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Saw that myself, pretty great (and overdue by 2 decades, lol).

Anyone know if this breaks existing custom UIs? I use Vert myself.
I've tried with my own ZlizUI which contains the Sparxx UI inventory window, and no errors, it just shows your AC and ATK way too low, instead of X / Y as it does in the new UI. Also, the velocity (movement speed) is missing.

I'll be working on implementing the new fields in ZlizUI this week.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Pilsner posted:

I've tried with my own ZlizUI which contains the Sparxx UI inventory window, and no errors, it just shows your AC and ATK way too low, instead of X / Y as it does in the new UI. Also, the velocity (movement speed) is missing.

I demand this immediately and will offer 1k plat on phinny in compensation. Chop chop!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Pilsner posted:

thank you for this. I've been using your ui since I came back to EQ a few years ago, even before I knew you were a goon. I found yours on eqinterface after looking through drat near all of their complete set UIs. It's drat near the best ui on that site, in my not-so-humble opinion.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Let me know if you need any logs, screencaps, or something to help with integration and update to ZlizUI for Phinny. Hurts only seeing half my ATK (have to relearn quick glance buff values for what's missing anyway) but the UI is too drat useful to give up. Did full raid without those numbers versus swapping to default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I have now updated my ZlizUI. It works for all Live EQ servers, including prog servers such as Phinny (it uses precisely the same UI code).

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

Changes:
  • Updated for the January 18, 2017 patch
  • The inventory window has been updated with the new split values for AC (Mitigation and Evasion) and ATK (Offense and Accuracy) (on the main Inventory tab), plus the new Velocity value (Stats tab).
  • The player window has likewise been updated with the new split AC / ATK values, and additionally, your current Haste % and Velocity has been added.
  • The Stats tab of the inventory window has been cleaned up visually and the values grouped like the stock inventory UI.
Note that even though I have made the new split AC and ATK values show with a plus + between the two values (because I thought a slash / was misleading), it doesn't mean that those two values added end up totaling the same as the old values. I'm using the values straight from the game engine, and they are the same with the stock UI. At a quick glance, it appears I have about half the AC I used to when adding the two numbers, but the two ATK values seem to add up to the total ATK I had before.

Here are some sexy new screenshots: