Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

I plan on donating. I'm broke af but I honestly love PBS and I'd love to proudly display a mug at work. Regardless, my TV did a weird thing today. I don't even understand how it did it. My normal PBS channel is this
8-1 PBS
8-2 Create
8-3 Knowledge
That's fine and dandy but as of about an hour ago, 8-4 PBS KIDS showed up when I was flipping the channels and it's on the color bars or whatever. I'm assuming it'll start airing in the next day or so? How in the hell did my TV add a channel? I have a ton of channels that I've hidden. I didn't know that it would add channels unless I went to the "add channel" function or the "search for channels" function. I mean, "thanks TV!" but I still don't get it. What the hell?

It's because it's a digital subchannel. The video streams are compressed and multiplexed over the same RF frequency.

So it's not a new channel. The TV has detected a new stream in an existing channel and applied the virtual channel number that the stream is tagged with. In this case it's .4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Croatoan posted:

I plan on donating. I'm broke af but I honestly love PBS and I'd love to proudly display a mug at work. Regardless, my TV did a weird thing today. I don't even understand how it did it. My normal PBS channel is this
8-1 PBS
8-2 Create
8-3 Knowledge
That's fine and dandy but as of about an hour ago, 8-4 PBS KIDS showed up when I was flipping the channels and it's on the color bars or whatever. I'm assuming it'll start airing in the next day or so? How in the hell did my TV add a channel? I have a ton of channels that I've hidden. I didn't know that it would add channels unless I went to the "add channel" function or the "search for channels" function. I mean, "thanks TV!" but I still don't get it. What the hell?

It's a quirk to how ATSC channels work. Once you've got a channel it'll pick up new subchannels basically automatically.

The real fucker is when the new channel shows up, but weirdos like me who use the XBox One never find out about it because we set it to only show Favorites because there's no way to remove channels from its OTA tuner lineup. Or when the new channel shows up, you know about it, but the XBox takes another three weeks to get around to carrying guide data for it. What I'm saying is PBS Create had a rocky launch at our house.

e: what he said

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just canceled my DirecTV service and they don't even send boxes to return the equipment, it's just a plastic bag that gets shipped off to a Goodwill in Denver.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

FCKGW posted:

Just canceled my DirecTV service and they don't even send boxes to return the equipment, it's just a plastic bag that gets shipped off to a Goodwill in Denver.

They don't want you to send it back. They want you to change your mind and reactivate your subscription.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I'm not going back.

I had to call every day for a week straight because the promised they would cancel at midnight and every day I would wake up and still have service.

On the plus side they kept throwing discounts at me every time I called so my $300 ETF ended up being $20 when a was said and done.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Had an almost disaster yesterday which seriously limits the viability of streaming cable... The Golden Globes weren't available over streaming at all, but thankfully I have an OTA HD antenna and we get decent NBC reception in my apartment. I dunno how common it is to not allow streams of a broadcast, but if people keep switching I could totally see companies bribing networks (or vice versa) to prevent streams on stuff that people actually want to watch.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Fuzz posted:

Had an almost disaster yesterday which seriously limits the viability of streaming cable... The Golden Globes weren't available over streaming at all, but thankfully I have an OTA HD antenna and we get decent NBC reception in my apartment. I dunno how common it is to not allow streams of a broadcast, but if people keep switching I could totally see companies bribing networks (or vice versa) to prevent streams on stuff that people actually want to watch.

Really? Not over Vue, or Sling?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Better question, people really want to watch award shows?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Dunno, this was on DirecTV Now.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Yes, people with wives who aren't really on board with the whole cord-cutting thing and have complained on multiple occasions about why can't we just go back to Comcast do care about watching awards shows.

On a related note since there's no ABC on Vue does anyone use a tablo? It looks like it may be the cheapest and easiest option for a OTA DVR with the Fire TV.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Women love awards shows man. Between my GF and women in extended family its the most requested thing I get for my Plex server.

Also dancing and Bachelor type shows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nope. NBC didn't secure streaming rights with the Golden Globes (or whoever owns it).

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Yes, people with wives who aren't really on board with the whole cord-cutting thing and have complained on multiple occasions about why can't we just go back to Comcast do care about watching awards shows.

On a related note since there's no ABC on Vue does anyone use a tablo? It looks like it may be the cheapest and easiest option for a OTA DVR with the Fire TV.

I think that's dependent on your market. I have CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC live with my Vue account in Chicago.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 9, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Exactly.

She had to watch the red carpet thing on E, too, which was hilarious because apparently no one paid for streaming commercial time so they just cut to an E logo with, "We'll be right back!" and terrible butt rock on a one minute loop. Average break was like 4 minutes and she was actually mortified to be wishing for commercials rather than that poo poo... I thought it was sorta hilarious.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Exactly.

She had to watch the red carpet thing on E, too, which was hilarious because apparently no one paid for streaming commercial time so they just cut to an E logo with, "We'll be right back!" and terrible butt rock on a one minute loop. Average break was like 4 minutes and she was actually mortified to be wishing for commercials rather than that poo poo... I thought it was sorta hilarious.

Fortunately I still got the E thing, but I think I had commercials on Vue. God when that stupid message came up I thought well poo poo that's it I'll probably have to call comcast tomorrow.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

:jerkbag:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

This whole streaming rights thing is so dumb. Vue/Sling/Now are cable tv in all but delivery method, and should be treated like cable/satellite as far as rights go.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

gret posted:

This whole streaming rights thing is so dumb. Vue/Sling/Now are cable tv in all but delivery method, and should be treated like cable/satellite as far as rights go.

Maybe it's some stupid fine print with the FCC? At least that's what I assumed it was.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Maybe it's some stupid fine print with the FCC? At least that's what I assumed it was.

No, it's the content providers trying to squeeze every last ounce of revenue they can.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah it is frigging retarded. If DTVN cant get their poo poo together by March I am jumping on Vue.

I really just want a cheap replacement to my DTV service. Its $121 a month for 3 TVs, HD-DVR and 3 TVs. That is loving retarded.

It isnt too much to ask that I get the same function with my own hardware and internet for their $35 intro price (or $60 if I cancelled and came back later)

They just have to actually, I dunno, let poo poo work. 72 hour rewind is a joke, VOD is not the same VOD you get with legacy DTV, and they only need to meet functionality for an online DVR that Vue offers.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I never understand how showing ads via internet is not making them money versus over the air. Just air the same feed as they are local complete with the ads and make money on top of the subscription revenue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

I never understand how showing ads via internet is not making them money versus over the air. Just air the same feed as they are local complete with the ads and make money on top of the subscription revenue.

Those are typically affiliate ad slots, for either the local broadcaster or the cable provider to inject local/regional ads into the feed.

Sony (or Sling or DTV Now) may not have negotiated the right to inject ads or simply don't have everything set up to inject ads.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I got DTV Now to lock in the promo rate. Hopefully they'll add ROOT NW before April, otherwise it's just a house hunters subscription.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah it is frigging retarded. If DTVN cant get their poo poo together by March I am jumping on Vue.

I really just want a cheap replacement to my DTV service. Its $121 a month for 3 TVs, HD-DVR and 3 TVs. That is loving retarded.

It isnt too much to ask that I get the same function with my own hardware and internet for their $35 intro price (or $60 if I cancelled and came back later)

They just have to actually, I dunno, let poo poo work. 72 hour rewind is a joke, VOD is not the same VOD you get with legacy DTV, and they only need to meet functionality for an online DVR that Vue offers.

DTVN on my end (Fire TV) has gotten much shittier in the last couple of weeks. Right now I'd settle for not getting logged out every thirty loving minutes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pleasing Shape posted:

DTVN on my end (Fire TV) has gotten much shittier in the last couple of weeks. Right now I'd settle for not getting logged out every thirty loving minutes.

I gave up and went back to Vue. My last straw was College Bowl games turning into slideshows with how often it would freeze, then not, then inexplicably jump to A&E, then freeze.

I'm still paid until March 7 or something, since I got the Apple TV with 3 months pre-paid. So at least I got an Apple TV for cheap.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

RZA Encryption posted:

I got DTV Now to lock in the promo rate. Hopefully they'll add ROOT NW before April, otherwise it's just a house hunters subscription.

Absolutely no way this happens. You need to get cable to watch Mariners otherwise it's MLB.tv+VPN.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Ok so my wife has AT&T for phone service but I was going get DirecTV Now. If I end up getting it will she still be able to stream it without wasting data or does she have to get it on her acount for it to be unlimited?

Thanks.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Absolutely no way this happens. You need to get cable to watch Mariners otherwise it's MLB.tv+VPN.

Why is that? At&t owns part of root, and they carry just about every other regional sports network. Seems like it'd be a sure thing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I guess the simple answer would be there's no value added to giving you more channels when you've locked into a promo rate. I am personally hoping for the same channel to pop up so I can watch The Dan Patrick Show at a reasonable hour (except when the goddamn Mariners preseason bullshit cuts into his re-air, gently caress!) but I don't really expect it to happen. I bet we'll have a ton of opportunities to opt out of our current deal and pay more for channels not included with our current packages though!

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
What do I need to do to make sure I have minimal signal loss when splitting my antennae signal three (and maybe four) ways. The cable from the antennae to the splitter is ~25', then probably 40-50' from the splitter to three of the tv's.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

thisdude23 posted:

Ok so my wife has AT&T for phone service but I was going get DirecTV Now. If I end up getting it will she still be able to stream it without wasting data or does she have to get it on her acount for it to be unlimited?

Thanks.
Their exact wording is "If you’re a DIRECTV NOW and AT&T Wireless customer, ..." so put it on her account.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
As far as I know the accounts are not linked. I think they just do something in the backend to waive data limits for DTV Now on any of their network's devices.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So the roku watchespn app was really annoying trying to watch the cfb championship last night, worse than it's ever been.

I could pull watchespn up on my phone and it would stream fine, but the roku3 (Ethernet connected) constantly buffered and/or dropped quality.

Any thoughts on whether this is an app or a hardware issue (or just espn)? I don't think it's an internet issue, at least on my end.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I had the same issue with the appletv app. Video would freeze while audio kept playing and I had to restart the app multiple times.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I had the same issue with the Fire TV app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I drive a BBW posted:

What do I need to do to make sure I have minimal signal loss when splitting my antennae signal three (and maybe four) ways. The cable from the antennae to the splitter is ~25', then probably 40-50' from the splitter to three of the tv's.

Something like this, probably:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PI09SE/

This will allow you to distribute the signal without any loss. It's *not* going to amplify the OTA antenna gain. You'll need something like a signal pre-amp for that (those are usually one in/one out).

I don't remember if you want to use same length cables for all the outputs I don't think so, but it's been forever since I've used a distro amp (I use an HD HomeRun to stream my OTA on my local network). If you end up *not* using all four, just either cap the end of the run (or the terminal on the amp) with an F Type 75 Ohm terminator. They're super cheap, like a bag of 10 for $5.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm cross-posting this from the AppleTV thread. It's definitely more limited as the Channels software is available only on AppleTVs but it works with the same hardware Plex's DVR uses so I'm sure there's some overlap here.

Channels is a tvOS app that works with HDHomeRuns to bring live TV to an AppleTV (whether its OTA or via CableCard). The original Channels app is really, really well done. It already allowed for pausing live TV for up to 90 minutes (no NAS/extra hardware required) and a super easy interface. The Channels devs have just released a public beta of their new DVR software. These are my impressions.

As a whole, the Channels' DVR software is much, much more polished than the Plex DVR.

You can schedule recordings from within the Channels app or from the webui. All the features I'd expect from a cable company DVR are present (record just this episode or the seris, new or all, how many to keep, start and end early, etc). You can schedule recordings from the channel grid or the Search tab (voice dictation makes this super easy). This is one of my major gripes with Plex since they don't have a channel grid and you can only schedule recordings from the web portal. Channels puts it all in the app on the TV so my wife instantly knows how it works.

My other major gripe with Plex's solution is the inability to join a recording already in progress. Last night, I was able to do just that with Channels. It took about 20-30 seconds to start playback but once it started, it played flawlessly. I did notice intermittent issues jumping forward and backwards though. Sometimes it was instantaneous, other times it took around 30 seconds to resume playback. Not sure what's happening there. I've yet to play back a recording that's already completed but I should have results from testing that soon. The DVR also has a built in commercial clipper for completed recordings I've yet to test.

Setting up the software on my NAS wasn't quite as smooth as I thought it would be. Once installed on your PC/NAS, you'll get a prompt on your AppleTV to go to a webui to access the DVR software. It'll make sure you're subscribed and it had some trouble at first syncing up my subscription. But it took less than 5 minutes for the Channels' service to relay my current subscription to my DVR install.

I should note that I'm using a QNAP TS-251 NAS for the DVR software. It has more than the required specs but is by no means a CPU powerhouse. It's not even the model QNAP advertises for transcoding media playback (that'd be the TS-251+). On my NAS, Plex's DVR can't playback recordings to an AppleTV without optimizing (transcoding) them first. Channels is using some combination of the AppleTV's hardware and my NAS to do the playback (of recordings in progress and completed recordings) and I didn't notice any drop in video quality. I should also note I'm doing this with OTA signals into a HDHomeRun Connect (the non-transcoding HDHR model). This would, presumably, also work for cable if you have the HDHR Prime which you can drop a CableCard into and use as a cable box replacement.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it. There's some obvious avenues for improvement. There's no support for the DVR for the iOS version of Channels (an update is promised). I haven't investigated how to get offline copies of the recordings so Plex has an advantage there. Plex also has the advantage of offering other services with their Plex Pass membership whereas Channels just offers the DVR. But Channels' DVR solution is more complete and user friendly than Plex's and if you're heavily invested in the AppleTV ecosystem AND looking for a DVR solution, it's totally worth checking out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lol, DIRECTV Now: screen goes blank in the middle of a show and message pops up "<absolutely non-sports-related syndicated TV show> is blacked out in your area".

Every day this service gets more and more amateur hour. Or maybe the duct tape is just unraveling.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Lol, DIRECTV Now: screen goes blank in the middle of a show and message pops up "<absolutely non-sports-related syndicated TV show> is blacked out in your area".

Every day this service gets more and more amateur hour. Or maybe the duct tape is just unraveling.

What channel and show was it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RZA Encryption posted:

I haven't heard about anything outside of sports except for the Golden Globes, but no streaming service had that. I know Vue occasionally has some prime time Science Channel shows blocked, but if you flag the show for DVR you can watch it after the airing is done, so :shrug:

It happens a lot on the Regional Sports Networks. So like Comcast SN and Fox SN. There are also a ton of people getting the incorrect package for their region. There was some guy on the Reddit forum reporting he lived in Seattle and was getting stuff for Oklahoma or something.

DTV Now is a dumpster fire. I mean, I'm glad I did the three months, since I look at it more as: $105 Apple TV with 3 months service thrown in, but they are light years from Vue or even Sling when it comes to quality of the streams. I'm hoping they get things resolved before March, because otherwise I'll need to cancel the rebelling and I'd lose out on the $35 promo pricing if I ever go back.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RZA Encryption posted:

Some hospital show on Discovery Life my wife was watching.