Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
imagine a 2cp map with capture points above a death pit like Nepal: Sanctum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like Anubis is easily worst because of much it rewards defensive entrenching, and certain flankers just have no business on point B. And if you have that one DPS on your team who insists on going up alone then you're pretty much just down 5-6 and it's that much tougher to take the point.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Doublestep posted:

imagine a 2cp map with capture points above a death pit like Nepal: Sanctum

There really needs to be more environmental kill options in CP maps, agreed.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So what is the consensus on Oasis now that it has been out for a bit? I really like it and think they did a great job having a large map with lots of walkways that actually feel meaningful and aren't full of dead ends. It gives you good ways to flank and come disrupt an entrenched team from multiple directions.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ehud posted:

There really needs to be more environmental kill options in CP maps, agreed.

Has Blizzard given any reason they're mostly isolated to koth maps anyway?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

gnome7 posted:

Also Bastion isn't evil. Bastion Units, as a whole, were defense turrets that got hacked by actually-evil super AIs bent on world domination. The specific Bastion Unit that you can play as in the game was one who woke up 10 years after the war, all hacking forgotten/gone from his systems. Did you miss the bit at the end where he overrode the attack code to go back to nature? Bastion wants peace, he's just stuck in a body built for war.

Mei has a pre--match bark that says 'Bastion would make the perfect research assistant.'

Therefore, Bastion is confirmed in-game as Evil.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ravenfood posted:

Has Blizzard given any reason they're mostly isolated to koth maps anyway?

Because they already made Lucio God-King Emperor of one game mode, he doesn't need to rule all the others as well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pharah and Hog loving own on all KOTH maps too. Will never get tired of firing the conc rocket basically anywhere on ilios

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
People seem to forget D.Va's got a knockback with her charge. Defending Lijiang Night Market's CP flanks is glorious.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kashuno posted:

So what is the consensus on Oasis now that it has been out for a bit? I really like it and think they did a great job having a large map with lots of walkways that actually feel meaningful and aren't full of dead ends. It gives you good ways to flank and come disrupt an entrenched team from multiple directions.

It is automatically great because it is a King of the Hill map, but it's also just a cool map and is very well thought out. I'm glad it's in the rotation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
King of the Hill maps are the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTOIECLLZds

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Having finally played Oasis, I cannot stop hearing the Final Fantasy jingle in the background music. It's especially prevalent during character selection.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Ehud posted:

Why tho

Aside from liking it aesthetically, I think the layout and different elements leave a lot of room for dynamic game play so each time is a completely different experience. Symmetra is one of my mains and that map works to her benefit a lot.

It's actually never been clear to me why anyone on this thread thinks a certain map is "good" or "bad". I think they're all pretty neutral and it comes down to personal experience, character choice, and style of play.

I HATE Lijiang, but I wouldn't say it sucks as a map, simply because I personally don't care for it.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I think this will eventually settle down but my experience on Oasis has been nothing but long overtime games. Either the spawns are closer or people haven't figured out which flanks to camp - guessing the latter.

Also the amount of people that don't know about/use the stairs to the top of the garden one is hilarious. I think I managed at least 1 minute of overtime by myself as lucio just chilling up there.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

stuxracer posted:

I think this will eventually settle down but my experience on Oasis has been nothing but long overtime games. Either the spawns are closer or people haven't figured out which flanks to camp - guessing the latter.

Also the amount of people that don't know about/use the stairs to the top of the garden one is hilarious. I think I managed at least 1 minute of overtime by myself as lucio just chilling up there.

It's definitely the latter. I have games where I just walk around behind the enemy team by strolling through one of the many flank paths as roadhog and just start wiping out their healers quickly and painlessly.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

stuxracer posted:

I was bored and did a 1 v 6 easy Lucios on Oasis as Roadhog and it was basically impossible because inevitably there would be one stray Lucio up there that I couldn't get down in time to actually capture the point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kashuno posted:

why is it whenever 2CP is brought up no one says Volskaya is the worst map?

Volskaya has really cool flanking routes and the final point isn't quite as much of a pain in the rear end for attackers compared to Anubis B or Hanamura B.

It's still bad but it might actually be slightly better than the worst payload maps while the other two are just abortions of game design.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Volskaya has really cool flanking routes and the final point isn't quite as much of a pain in the rear end for attackers compared to Anubis B or Hanamura B.

It's still bad but it might actually be slightly better than the worst payload maps while the other two are just abortions of game design.

Volskaya's first point as the same problem as Hanamura and Anubis, in that there's a massive loving chokepoint that forces like 80% of the cast to walk into a meat grinder, but I suppose it's at least really close to the attacking spawn and not a good 10 second job like the others.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The big flanking route on the left in Volskaya A is relegated to only certain characters but the advantage it has over something like Hanamura's lovely little window to the left of the main gate is that it's far enough away from the main choke that if the defenders want to actively keep eyes on it they have to send someone all the way over there, which usually isn't worth it outside of cheeky opening-moment Meis looking to ice wall someone into the water, which means if you do opt to take the flank it's usually fairly clear and deposits you right beside the point. Compare this to Hanamura where everyone piled up by the choke can see anyone coming through the window or Eichenwalde where anybody can see someone going through the bakery roof, plus even once you're over it it doesn't pull the defenders as far out of position to collapse on you.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I hate Volskaya B. Hanamura is worse designed but not as frustrating to attack.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Volskaya is a great map because it is the one map I play ATTACK BASTION

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i literally can't tell the difference between most maps, because I am bad at this game

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

deadwing posted:

Volskaya is a great map because it is the one map I play ATTACK BASTION

Same but torbjorn

Volskaya is the easiest 2cp to snowball and is therefore OK by me

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Poque posted:

i literally can't tell the difference between most maps, because I am bad at this game

The only KOTH sub-map I can recognize by name is Well, for obvious reasons. Otherwise I just wait til I can look out the window from spawn to remember what map it is.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Hargrimm posted:

The only KOTH sub-map I can recognize by name is Well, for obvious reasons. Otherwise I just wait til I can look out the window from spawn to remember what map it is.

same, I can't recognize Hanamura by name but if it was like "now traveling to that map where you always get lost in the room with all the UFOs" I'd know what was going on

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think Volskaya results in some of the most intense battles. I've played several matches in which there is a nearly constant five minute battle that goes into OT on the last point. Hanamura is awful there's no redeeming that poo poo show. I don't really like Anubis but I don't hate it like Hana.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

nothing better than hopping in a game with a 4-prestige, 1000 SR Attack Bastion amirite

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Efexeye posted:

nothing better than hopping in a game with a 4-prestige, 1000 SR Attack Bastion amirite

Go Rein and make it your mission to keep him alive. Attack bastion is probably close to unbeatable at that rank.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Hargrimm posted:

there's also now both lijiang tower: garden (the outdoor one with the bridges and moat) and oasis: gardens (the one with the flowers and hookahs)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'll come out and say it, I actually like Volskaya. Not in a "this turd sandwich is marginally less disgusting" way but I legit like it as a map, both points, attack and defense. It's the best of the 2CP maps and it's leagues above Eichenwalde in my book.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

PersonalGenius posted:

It's actually never been clear to me why anyone on this thread thinks a certain map is "good" or "bad". I think they're all pretty neutral and it comes down to personal experience, character choice, and style of play.

You can like certain maps while acknowledging they're flawed. Like Hanamura/Anubis are recognizable as bad because of the choke. Even if you play a character suited for that map, you can see that it clearly disadvantages characters like McCree.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Route 66 is one of my favorite payload maps. Though I'm probably biased because of that sweet guitar riff.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I've had to go back to playing Comp matches because my QP rating is apparently high enough to keep pairing me against 3.5k+ Solder76/Mcrees.

This game just isn't fun with laser pointer classes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i like playing attack torbjorn because sometimes it makes people angry

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kai Tave posted:

I'll come out and say it, I actually like Volskaya. Not in a "this turd sandwich is marginally less disgusting" way but I legit like it as a map, both points, attack and defense. It's the best of the 2CP maps and it's leagues above Eichenwalde in my book.
but like, why do you like it though

are you ok with endless zombie respawn stalling

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Really? Unbelievable.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can like certain maps while acknowledging they're flawed. Like Hanamura/Anubis are recognizable as bad because of the choke. Even if you play a character suited for that map, you can see that it clearly disadvantages characters like McCree.

I don't see that as the map being flawed. I see it as being designed intentionally to be challenging for characters that usually have a power advantage. That's balance.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Perhaps we are more alike than we are different.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I used to do this a lot. Torb was my main back in Season 1.

Season 3 is really fuckin' weird for me. I think my mains are liable to wind up Zenyatta and Genji. Maybe my incorrectly played Mercy. I am just generally making GBS threads the bed with everyone else except Hanzo and Widow and it takes.... trust... to get a team to let me to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

but like, why do you like it though

are you ok with endless zombie respawn stalling

For point A, I like it because it has the aforementioned flank route which is actually useful at providing the flankers in question cover on their approach and pulls the defenders away from the choke more than other 2CP maps like Hanamura, or even hybrid maps like Eichenwalde. For point B I feel like I've had more actually interesting fights on Volskaya than I have on Anubis or Hanamura, and that while it suffers from the same element of last minute defender lemming death marches to try and endlessly stall my personal experience is that it doesn't feel as pronounced. Maybe it's purely anecdotal but while the defenders can push back and cling on by their fingernails if the fight turns into a tug of war I've rarely had a game on Volskaya where the attackers soundly kicked the defenders' rear end where the defenders came back and fended off that push through meatgrinder attrition the same way I've seen entire minutes of brawling on the point occur on Hanamura B where one of the defender spawn doors literally overlooks the point and lets you dump stallers straight onto it..