Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I believe it's classified as seinen rather than shonen, but have you tried Bungou Stray Dogs?

Nope, but I was under the impression that was more of an episodic thing (though I still want to check it out)? I wasn't really clear, but I was referring mostly to a more stereotypical "character and his friends fight people and gradually get stronger" type plot. It's honestly kinda depressing how few shounen battle manga have interesting/creative fights; I can only think of like 5-10. There are a number of shounen manga that are still good despite not having interesting fights (Black Clover for example), but it's kind of surprising that "people with interesting/fun and well-explained* super powers use them in unique/creative ways" is so rare. Most shounen focus more on the drama and/or BURNING PASSION than the specifics of the fight itself, it seems. Hunter x Hunter is pretty much the prime example of the ideal shounen battle manga.

* This part is important; ideally you should be able to think "ah, it makes sense for the character to have done that!" after a fight and have a good understanding of the characters' abilities before a fight (unless they're trying out a new skill or something). This is the thing Black Clover kinda fucks up; aside from the MC, everyone else just sort of throws out whatever spells happen to be convenient as long as they loosely fit within the theme of their element or whatever. In HxH, for example, you know exactly what Gon, Killua, Hisoka, etc have in their skill set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Nope, but I was under the impression that was more of an episodic thing (though I still want to check it out)?

It's mostly arc-based, but with a few stand-alone chapters/episodes. It has a nice mix of fights, mysteries, colliding-schemes plots, and character-centric storylines. Be warned that there's some humor in rather poor taste (a major character half-seriously attempting suicide is sort of a running gag), and early on, especially in the anime, the way we're repeatedly reminded of the main character's ~tragic past~ gets somewhat annoying.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

What blood are they talking about? Also what's up with the rodent dogs part?

the comment is from birdmen, as for what it actually means though, i dunno

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Kengan Ashua - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-006-Ch-047?id=341912

Featuring the gooniest of goons.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Even after your post I couldn't have seen that coming.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao this manga owns so much

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ugggghhh FIIIIIINE, I'll go read Kengan Ashua since you all keep talking it up so much (and that chapter was hilarious). Will report back.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've decided to reread it

its extremely good

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I wasn't ready

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man I have such mixed feelings about Kengan Ashua sometimes but they're mixed leaning heavily towards the "This is dumb and great and amazing" side. I really love the rare moments where manager-guy gets to do something impressive. I want him to have a big badass moment so bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he will probably blunder his way into the chairmanship completely by accident

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also holy poo poo I've been playing catchup because I stopped reading it for a while but why didn't anyone tell me Lemmy was back from the dead?!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I'm betting it all on him!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Glagha posted:

Man I have such mixed feelings about Kengan Ashua sometimes but they're mixed leaning heavily towards the "This is dumb and great and amazing" side. I really love the rare moments where manager-guy gets to do something impressive. I want him to have a big badass moment so bad.

I really hope so too, because he's honestly one of the least interesting characters right now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I watched the first episode of Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Arc, and. Wow.

They full on act like the 2nd half of the first anime never happened.

I mean, that's a GOOD THING, but I expected at least a token effort to finangle the continuity or something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

He will become one of the most powerful, influential men in the world by bumbling along and having no clue what the gently caress he's doing.

and it will turn out the current chairman was the same way

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Slime posted:

He will become one of the most powerful, influential men in the world by bumbling along and having no clue what the gently caress he's doing.

and it will turn out the current chairman was the same way
It comes off like he has some sort of hidden quality or insight that's been suppressed or hidden by a couple decades of being a beaten-down salaryman. I mean, at least one of his kids is apparently super brilliant so he got at least part of that from his dad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really like the end of the century savior version of yamashita that his son's employee sees.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

It comes off like he has some sort of hidden quality or insight that's been suppressed or hidden by a couple decades of being a beaten-down salaryman. I mean, at least one of his kids is apparently super brilliant so he got at least part of that from his dad.

We've already seen that he's really good at judging how strong the fighters are - during one of the preliminary rounds he laments the fact that he perfectly guessed who would move to the next round but didn't get the chance to bet any money.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Silento posted:

Toriko should be there but I guess Japanese readers have bad taste.

It went downhill like a motherfucker

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It went downhill like a motherfucker

have you had that tab open since October?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

have you had that tab open since October?

No, I was catching up on this thread hoping to find some recs and I was like dang look at this guy who doesn't think Toriko has gone downhill since the timeskip

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, toriko ended. it ended quite well, even!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

uh, toriko ended. it ended quite well, even!

Oh dope I'm in the middle of catching up rn bc I got hella behind

The second half of Toriko is still a giant mess tho real talk

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i sincerely hope you aren't talking poo poo about the pair arc. that arc is one of the finest things humanity has ever created.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oh dope I'm in the middle of catching up rn bc I got hella behind

The second half of Toriko is still a giant mess tho real talk

Well, the anime was a giant mess, yes. No doubt. The manga, on the other hand, felt rushed, but still ended about as well as it could. Hard to say anything else without spoilers, just keep reading. It's good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

i sincerely hope you aren't talking poo poo about the pair arc. that arc is one of the finest things humanity has ever created.

That was easily the highlight of the second half

Part of it is that I just really liked when Toriko was just these goofy short arcs about finding cool food and eating it and also a chapter about farting on apples

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Not sure if anyone still reads it, but the last chapter of Akame ga Kill went up.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sonata Mused posted:

Not sure if anyone still reads it, but the last chapter of Akame ga Kill went up.

lol cool the heroes brutally and slowly torture the villain to death in the most horrifyign way possible

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Plutonis posted:

lol cool the heroes brutally and slowly torture the villain to death in the most horrifyign way possible

Have you never read Akame ga Kill before? Also it wasn't the heroes that did that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Anime Girl Hitler and Anime Fat Hitler both got what was coming them imho.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pierson posted:

A lot of people in the comments seem to like girl Hitler, which confuses me. Things crossed a line with her where she went from "strong so I'm curious about how she'll be defeated" to "jesus christ just kill her off, this is loving ridiculous."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they wanna gently caress her op

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched like four episodes of Akame Ga Kill but it was just too grimdark hentai for me

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I finished the anime and near the end, I was waiting to see who died next cause the show just enjoyed murdering people in horrible ways. :sigh: I kind of liked the cast otherwise which makes it kind of sad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
witch craft works is being translated again, and it is finally getting into the deep dark backstory that it has been hinting at from the first chapter. while witches being completely deranged is fun, it is about dang time.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Pierson posted:

And Mine kept loving a dragon and they lived happily ever after.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, it said they had children, as in plural. that's still a much happier ending than i expected either of them to get, though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Irritated Goat posted:

I finished the anime and near the end, I was waiting to see who died next cause the show just enjoyed murdering people in horrible ways. :sigh: I kind of liked the cast otherwise which makes it kind of sad.
Everyone with a personality died but at least Eyepatch Punished Snake lived.

edit; i'm an idiot and you said 'anime' but the manga really did kill anyone who was slightly cool and left us with Swordgirl and Punchboy, if I read it right (first thirty or so chapters and last two).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The best character was the dude with the wires. I was sad when he died, though at least he did some badass stuff beforehand.