Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Tangerines posted:

I wish it would remember my sound settings of different accounts. I always have to play around with music volumes when I log in on multiple accounts.

I think garpaui should fix that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Completely overlooked garpaui. Cheers, you're a life saver.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:colbert:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

You keep doing it. :mad:

lol rename yourself to captain tumblr

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Wow, 45 new messages. Something cool must have happened.

*reads EVE thread* Nope.. just the same dumb slapfights.
I'm sorry :ullerrm:, seems like we can't do better this year.

Blazing Zero posted:

:xd:

ccp has fixed eve online - they're being sold to another company on the upsurge of active accounts thanks to alpha clones and f2p

Is this a joke or something real? source?

Dalael fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 9, 2017

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

please expand on how im a misogynist ty

The correct answer is that you're a misandrist and that I'm confident you harbour no especial, gender-based prejudices and that you are most likely, therefore, a misogynist as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Endie posted:

The correct answer is that you're a misandrist and that I'm confident you harbour no especial, gender-based prejudices and that you are most likely, therefore, a misogynist as well.

Wouldn't that make them a misanthrope, if we're getting technical?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

lol rename yourself to captain tumblr

Sure thing Mr. Literal.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

iospace posted:

Wouldn't that make them a misanthrope, if we're getting technical?

probably a bunch of other mis- things as well

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I miss the jukebox. :negative: the space sci-fi music was one of the things I loved.

I thought they got rid of the jukebox because they didn't want to pay patent licensing fees. However, most of the important MP3 patents have now expired, and the last one that a claim could conceivably be made on expires in April.

In other words, we're only months away from there being no good reason why ccp hasn't brought the jukebox back.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maneck posted:

I thought they got rid of the jukebox because they didn't want to pay patent licensing fees. However, most of the important MP3 patents have now expired, and the last one that a claim could conceivably be made on expires in April.

In other words, we're only months away from there being no good reason why ccp hasn't brought the jukebox back.

Because CCP's development time is spent better elsewhere.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Endie posted:

probably a bunch of other mis- things as well

Mistaken misbegotten

-- Missartaq

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

iospace posted:

Because CCP's development time is spent better elsewhere.

Exactly this: unless they can come up with a player and interface that is better than, for example, spotify (anyone can make one better than itunes so I'm not falling into that trap) then they should spend their dev time on stuff that flies and explodes in space, instead. And if they *can* make a player and interface that's able to beat spotify then they should be making that instead of dumb spaceships games.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Endie posted:

Exactly this: unless they can come up with a player and interface that is better than, for example, spotify (anyone can make one better than itunes so I'm not falling into that trap) then they should spend their dev time on stuff that flies and explodes in space, instead. And if they *can* make a player and interface that's able to beat spotify then they should be making that instead of dumb spaceships games.

In a reasonable dev environment the guy who would add a MP3 widget to the UI wouldn't be the same guy who designs new ships/balance passes them, so no dev time would really be stolen.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

In a reasonable dev environment

Do they have that though?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Rhymenoserous posted:

In a reasonable dev environment the guy who would add a MP3 widget to the UI wouldn't be the same guy who designs new ships/balance passes them, so no dev time would really be stolen.

You still have to spend money paying someone to create and support the functionality, and their UI team are not short of things that would improve Eve. From what I saw, they had pretty much the longest backlog (in the scrum sense) of the company. Also, you're adding complexity for future releases, which requires a longer regression test cycle each and every time thereafter to check every patch for causing issues with the music player. Which, given that almost every interaction *can* have a sound associated, is going to be a bunch of test scripts needing written and maintained. Not to mention that sound testing is hard to entirely automate. Nothing in development comes without a cost attached, although I've certainly had enough product owners attempt to prove otherwise...

*that does literally nothing that your pc can't already do better with dedicated tools

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alternatively, they could just use the same code they used before.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

RazNation posted:

I know, I am just not a big fan of using cuss words.

RazNation posted:

Just did that and the fawkin Japanese went democratic because they got their arse handed to them by the chinks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

please expand on how im a misogynist ty

This is what happens when you dump the PL forums into one of those chat bots - it becomes cripplingly antisocial and just regurgitates ad hominem tropes without rhyme or reason.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

CainFortea posted:

Alternatively, they could just use the same code they used before.

This is precisely the sort of thing that project managers say. "But we had this a few years ago!" And you start listing things like "well, the launcher has changed so the way that we deliver music to the client has changed..." and they glaze over because they think something hugely complex can ever be free so they know you must just be lazy or awkward.

Edit: also they do stuff like ignore the test script element I mentioned. You're a natural PM!

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Endie posted:

You still have to spend money paying someone to create and support the functionality, and their UI team are not short of things that would improve Eve. From what I saw, they had pretty much the longest backlog (in the scrum sense) of the company. Also, you're adding complexity for future releases, which requires a longer regression test cycle each and every time thereafter to check every patch for causing issues with the music player. Which, given that almost every interaction *can* have a sound associated, is going to be a bunch of test scripts needing written and maintained. Not to mention that sound testing is hard to entirely automate. Nothing in development comes without a cost attached, although I've certainly had enough product owners attempt to prove otherwise...

*that does literally nothing that your pc can't already do better with dedicated tools

There's got to be something wrong with sound in EVE. Disabling the soundtrack and turning on all access or spotify kills my PC - I have to disable all sound in order for poo poo to work right. This is the only game I have ever experienced this problem with.

This weekend I played 2 spaceship games that weren't developed by :ccp: - both of them worked. Blew my loving mind.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

tickets to the gunt show posted:

There's got to be something wrong with sound in EVE. Disabling the soundtrack and turning on all access or spotify kills my PC - I have to disable all sound in order for poo poo to work right. This is the only game I have ever experienced this problem with.

Sound in general and music in particular can be a right pain because of the way that you have to deal with this real-time element in a set of systems that are largely not real-time.

Wealthy Aristocrat
Dec 12, 2016

evilweasel posted:

the only people who like anime that aren't pedophiles are people who are themselves underage so its acceptable that they like other underage people imo

I approve this message.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rhymenoserous posted:

As someone who manages software projects, no. Just no. This kind of thing leads to death by a thousand papercuts. Yes, the incremental cost of just one more thing is miniscule, until suddenly it isn't.

It was reasonable to ditch it, though if I were CCP I would consider using open-source, free-for-commercial-use frameworks for many more things (e.g. chat, mail).

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
On game sound chat:
Most programming is done so that sound sync's to particular events, when tracking event behavior it has to switch sounds to particular actions, sometimes in direct conflict with concurrent sound requests.

At some point post 2008, there was a major overhaul of the legacy code in the sound files and system, in order to fix a much worse problem of a similar nature to what we have now.
Dynamic sound and the coding for it is intensive, because it puts priority on making sound and actions occur at the same or with very little lag time. In a game that has to track a lot of poo poo server side, rather than client side, this makes things sketchy as gently caress and increase the amount of poo poo both your pc and the server have to grind through to function. Memory leaks happen because of things like this that get put in a dead spot when the action gets too delayed and the buffers aren't cleared regularly for build up of failed follow through commands like that.

Two base solutions to this is turn off sound or get a dedicated sound card that isn't piggy backing on your CPU for it's processing. Code wise, it's more difficult and seen as poor design not to have dynamic sound events, like combat music or emergency signals.

That's basically how this was all explained to me from other games that have the exact same problem.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hey guys whats going on in eve today? I heard TEST is kicking our asses in Catch c/d?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Orange Red Bull posted:

Hey guys whats going on in eve today? I heard TEST is kicking our asses in Catch c/d?

ya, but according to imperium.news PL is getting thoroughly trounced by brave, so...

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

stale meme dot png posted:

leave my bridge interface out of this please.

nerd

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Orange Red Bull posted:

Everything I've read seems to show that we're only half rear end prosecuting this war.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

Everything I've read seems to show that we're only half rear end prosecuting this war.

I was led to believe since it's not goon space there isn't really much we can do except wait around and take the occasional fight

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Are there any realistic arguments for shield capitals? I know TEST uses them but it seems based on caprisun's /r/eve post and the nerds sperging out in Jabber when I brought it up that either people poo poo on them or vehemently defend them to the point of getting irritated and irrational. I'm about to buy a carrier and a in a few months a super so I can't accurately speak one way or another because I've never had either before, but I'm :ohdear: about the situation.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

amazeballs posted:

Are there any realistic arguments for shield capitals? I know TEST uses them but it seems based on caprisun's /r/eve post and the nerds sperging out in Jabber when I brought it up that either people poo poo on them or vehemently defend them to the point of getting irritated and irrational. I'm about to buy a carrier and a in a few months a super so I can't accurately speak one way or another because I've never had either before, but I'm :ohdear: about the situation.

anything caldari that has a jumpdrive is poo poo but there are a lot of good arguments for minmatar capitals

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

tickets to the gunt show posted:

lol

This is what happens when you dump the PL forums into one of those chat bots - it becomes cripplingly antisocial and just regurgitates ad hominem tropes without rhyme or reason.

i dont think he was quite as sincere as you think he was :ssh:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I get the feeling we got our noses bloodied in F4R and the Russians weren't willing to commit the same level of effort, so we're kinda saying gently caress it. Reminds me a lot of the post-B-R Halloween War.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Keegers posted:

I was led to believe since it's not goon space there isn't really much we can do except wait around and take the occasional fight

A renegade Russian corp sold a deployed Fortizar to TESCO a couple days ago so that should be a good indicator of the degree of faith you should have in our valued allies.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

*in uba voice* lol made u post

haha made u post made u post

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

ya, but according to imperium.news PL is getting thoroughly trounced by brave, so...

how long until ncdot and horde get called in

horde seems to be a little busy doing lenny's bidding in highsec

somebody post the logs where killing undefended citadels in highsec is spun as good, cool and fun for 0.0 pilots

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

A renegade Russian corp sold a deployed Fortizar to TESCO a couple days ago so that should be a good indicator of the degree of faith you should have in our valued allies.

I'm more laughing that testco had to buy something already deployed and couldnt anchor their own citadel

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Orange Red Bull posted:

how long until ncdot and horde get called in

horde seems to be a little busy doing lenny's bidding in highsec

somebody post the logs where killing undefended citadels in highsec is spun as good, cool and fun for 0.0 pilots

:rolleyes:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

https://zkillboard.com/kill/59040407/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/59035599/