Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Tatum Girlparts posted:

so wait were the posts about hiding his 'clever wiring' and just not at all understanding why two different experts would say it's bad, along with casually talking about his tweaked out wife handling live wires, NOT parody? I thought they were posts by someone else making fun of him.

I kinda figure someone would have tattled to the authorities or at least to his wife if he was drugging his wife on the regular. Considering the dude pissed a bunch of people off while a mod there's always going to be one who goes to start poo poo over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It depends on the area but in much of the nation you can't build anything more than an unpowered shed (and even that probably has permitting) without getting permits and inspections. A house that burns down might take out the house next to it and stupidly wired things can also gently caress up the grid. That's probably what led to the first inspection. That or his neighbors calling up the city and being "this guy is being a dumbass can somebody go by and make sure he doesn't burn the city down? tia."

What really baffles me is that he decided that having like five times more outlets than he ever would possibly need was a good idea. Vampire power is also A Thing and that's going to ratchet his electric bill up as anything connected to the grid draws a small amount of power merely by existing. Like right now I have my computer, my microwave, my cell phone, my coffee machine, a lamp, my alarm clock, and my refrigerator plugged in. That's it. The only other things I have to plug in are an amplifier, beard trimmers, and a tablet. You could run all that off of one outlet with two plugs and a pair of power strips. Feeling the need to have like a hundred two plug outlets just confuses me.

My apartment has like...15 and I use less than half of them.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Having lived in both an apartment with an abundance of outlets and one with three outlets I can safely say I prefer the former. Then again I have a laptop to plug in and a fridge but still being able to sit down and plug in wherever is nice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I still read and laugh at every Groverhouse post I see, even now. I love it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The place I just moved into has an abundance of outlets including several for which I can't discern their former purpose, because they seem to have had cords permanently mounted into them at one point that have since been cut off.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

OTOH, someone actually married Grover so there's hope for all us goons

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

OTOH, someone actually married Grover so there's hope for all us goons

Grover could, for all his faults, make stuff with his hands. lovely bespoke artisanal housing but he made stuff.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What was the conclusion to the house anyway? Did it eventually pass and he lives in it?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

What was the conclusion to the house anyway? Did it eventually pass and he lives in it?

He became some sort of inspector and he passed all his own shoddy workmanship.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I really love the idea of Grover being a mod of GiP, it's like a really fat goon being made mod of YLLS

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I really love the idea of Grover being a mod of GiP, it's like a really fat goon being made mod of YLLS

A fat guy who cleans the toilets at the YMCA

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Maybe that's :thejoke: but isn't the classic "pied piper of ham joints" referencing a fat goon who was also the mod of the exercise forum

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I can only remember some of the ones from 2005 on, but here goes:

1) The saga of Alias777. For those of you who aren't familiar with him, Alias777 stole his mother's credit card, bought like 100 bucks worth of diet pills, then decided to purchase an account on SA and post a thread in GBS titled "Please, please read. I need help. I'm not lying." He made the fatal mistake of begging goons for help in fixing this dumbass thing he did.

This led to:

--His remarkably fast doxxing. He turned out to be a 13-year-old kid living in Chicago named Greg.
--Forums poster Rhyme calling his house, spawning the now-famous "Hello, I'm From The Internet" YTMND (you know, back when those were a thing).
--Greg deciding to try and pose as Steam tech support, which resulted in him getting his own Steam account stolen.

Not sure what else there is to that story but feel free to fill in the blanks; plus, I think he has an SAclopedia entry.

2) That IAMWIN guy who got caught jerking off on his webcam. He was super-super-super militant right-wing, too. His ban was a work of art.

3) Solve The Mystery of the Internet Whore, Win a Prize! Forums poster The_Pitbull started a thread featuring some mysterious messages from a woman claiming to be "Kate Stewart". Turned out it was some gay dude named Victor, and it spawned the :masterstroke: emote.

E: It's Rhyme, not Rhyno. Dunno why I thought that.

Fritz Coldcockin has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Jan 9, 2017

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Didn't YTMND start here, with the creator of the "You're The Man Now Dog" site posting it and other people sharing their own edits of the site the hard way?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Come to think of it, has Something Awful ever produced anything good? Not like "funny" good, cause there's been a lot of that. I mean like "charitable and helpful" good.

Only thing I can think of is the post-Hurricane Katrina effort.

E: Holy poo poo, I just read the thing someone posted way upthread about Granos. I wasn't around for the original, but the subsequent "call the police on Granos" stuck around for a while, and it made me laugh way harder than it probably should have.

Fritz Coldcockin has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Jan 9, 2017

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
There was a big donation drive to help a goon with kidney problems, I think? Kyle's Kidney Krusade or something equally 2004-era SA named.

Edit: I was fairly close: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=943

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Goons got the reddit pedo club shut down but they probably just started up elsewhere.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I feel like there were a couple other charity drives for disasters over the years, the Haiti earthquake was one. And body armor for some US troops as well, as was discussed earlier in the thread.

oh and don't forget about how we turned around the economy in Reform, Alabama

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There was one time there was a charity drive to get a certain user permabanned.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CloFan posted:

oh and don't forget about how we turned around the economy in Reform, Alabama

I know I'm going to regret asking, but how did we do that?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alter Ego posted:

Doobie's Dog House.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Crowdfunding a hot dog entrepreneur.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Skaw posted:

Crowdfunding a hot dog entrepreneur.

Didn't that guy turn out to be a massive con artist or something? I remember some story about a food truck that ended that way.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alter Ego posted:

Didn't that guy turn out to be a massive con artist or something? I remember some story about a food truck that ended that way.

I don't know, it's kind of weird how nobody has ever posted anything about that since it happened

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Alter Ego posted:

Come to think of it, has Something Awful ever produced anything good? Not like "funny" good, cause there's been a lot of that. I mean like "charitable and helpful" good.

Gonna pat myself on the back here. I did some charity stuff for various animal shelters here and there over the years, 3 or 4 auctions that raised a few hundred, a raffle, and the SA cat show raised a few thousand. A drop in the bucket compared to kidneys and stuff, but I like to think I helped out some.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CloFan posted:

I feel like there were a couple other charity drives for disasters over the years, the Haiti earthquake was one. And body armor for some US troops as well, as was discussed earlier in the thread.
And the Matenwa Learning Center got two Christmas charity drives, surprising them so much the first year that SA Goons were thanked in their annual newsletter.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

bunky posted:

(why was grover able to pull electrical permits and schedule inspections btw?)

Nepotism. IIRC he had friends/family in the local town government, and was planning to use his military contractor credentials to get himself appointed as an inspector (on paper) so that he could rubber-stamp his own projects.

edit:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It depends on the area but in much of the nation you can't build anything more than an unpowered shed (and even that probably has permitting) without getting permits and inspections. A house that burns down might take out the house next to it and

He built it on swampland that floods regularly (it flooded at least once while he was building it) so probably needed to call in a few favors to build a house that will probably sink into the ground or fall over. His neighbors houses are probably a safe distance away at least, nobody complained when it caught fire.

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jan 9, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Alter Ego posted:

E: Holy poo poo, I just read the thing someone posted way upthread about Granos. I wasn't around for the original, but the subsequent "call the police on Granos" stuck around for a while, and it made me laugh way harder than it probably should have.

Just this past year CSPAM raised $35K for RAINN

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I forgot about this! Thanks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The original low carb thread was so good. An insane amount of bacon and fat and I think even nearly killing a dog as well.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's the best. Some goon ate so much fats that he had to be on a serious dosage of anti cholesterol pills

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

provided the first example of an internet-crowdfunded piece of media by raising donations to improve the Brazilian film industry

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

provided the first example of an internet-crowdfunded piece of media by raising donations to improve the Brazilian film industry

what?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

swap.avi

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's the best. Some goon ate so much fats that he had to be on a serious dosage of anti cholesterol pills

Seriously, they were buying and eating buckets of lard

That was one of those threads where a goon herd goes so far off track that when fyad shows up they're the sole voice of reason and get banned for giving lifesaving advice

One goon said he was literally having nightmares about carbs

edit: "the pied piper of ham joints"

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Jan 9, 2017

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

There was a low carb poster who got trained to FYAD as part of HolePisser's "FYAD Friend" trend (poster gets trained to FYAD for a week, had to post an introduction thread, if they don't post and respond enough they're stuck there longer) and he was told he could go back to the rest of the forums if he just ate a loaf of Wonder Bread

He refused, and there were even people from Low Carb offering to "sacrifice" themselves and eat the bread for him.

All the FYAD Friend stuff was awesome :allears:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lol. gently caress, wonder bread is awful, it's super dry and sugary.

Please no one bring up that Paleo fake poster who talked about only eating raw meat and living outside because it was some dumb made up BS that everyone somehow remembers as real.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

Goons helped poster Centripetal Horse get back on his feet from being homeless, including fostering his cats while it was being done.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It was mentioned earlier but goons raised money to buy a bunch of US soldiers overseas new body armor (not sure why the army itself didn't buy them but not really surprising)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kelp Me! posted:

It was mentioned earlier but goons raised money to buy a bunch of US soldiers overseas new body armor (not sure why the army itself didn't buy them but not really surprising)

The F35 isn't going to fund itself