Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Piccolo is the best anyway

It's a shame he and Vegeta never fought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Aight gently caress it I'm just going to go rewatch abridged.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

this whole line of thought puts sort of a dark cast on TFS making Bulma's dad opposed to race-mixing

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hey question is there something I should be doing to alleviate bullshit beyond calling it out when I see it

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

Hey question is there something I should be doing to alleviate bullshit beyond calling it out when I see it

Call it out. If the person or people refuse to quit being on that bullshit then :sever:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Piccolo is the best anyway
Piccolo and Goku team up to be Gohan's two abusive dads. Also Vegeta is kind of a huge piece of poo poo to his son as well.

DBZ is really pretty hosed up when you think about it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Piccolo and Goku team up to be Gohan's two abusive dads. Also Vegeta is kind of a huge piece of poo poo to his son as well.

DBZ is really pretty hosed up when you think about it.

Goku is also a pretty lovely husband but then again Chichi kind of manipulated him into marrying her and took advantage of how big of a dumbass he is.

Good lord, you're right!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Crain fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 9, 2017

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Negrotown: How DBZ made me a better father. Also the ABBCs to a happier marriage.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Koalas March posted:

This is because you probably have some knowledge of your family heritage, where you came from, who was involved, etc.

African-americans do not have this luxury. We have had our original cultural identity erased, and have been forced to make new ones, that where immediately rejected by white people. We have not had access to the records of the sales of our family members until recently.

So a black person looking into their ancestry is looked at by a white man as "Why would you do that unless it's for a book? I, a white, know a fair amount of my family and would have no reason to go to great depths unless it was research for something, clearly this is what he is doing"

And speaking of which...

quote:

FamilySearch International, the world’s largest genealogy organization, has given a newly indexed database of the historic Freedmen’s Bureau Records to the Smithsonian National African American Museum of History and Culture in Washington, D.C. The database contains genealogical information of freed African Americans after the Civil War....
“For the first time in history, African Americans can now bridge the gap between freedom and slavery and reunite their families — on paper — that were once torn apart by slavery,” he added.

“Collaborating on the Freedmen’s Bureau Project is a fundamental expression of our commitment to family history,” explained Bunch. “At the end of the Civil War, formerly enslaved individuals went to great lengths to reunite their families. The records of the Freedmen’s Bureau are essential to understanding their desires and reconstructing the histories of the families they formed.”
During the past year, more than 25,000 volunteers participated in the project in the United States and Canada. Volunteers uncovered the names of nearly 1.8 million of the 4 million people who were enslaved.

Key to the project’s success were the nationwide chapters of the Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society who partnered with local Mormon congregations, black churches and others in more than 100 indexing events.

Two volunteers indexed each document. Any differences in the entries were reviewed by a third experienced volunteer called an arbitrator, who made the final decision on the indexed data.

Using the index and document scans provided by FamilySearch, the National Museum of African American History and Culture has begun a collaboration with the Smithsonian’s Transcription Center, an online platform for volunteers to digitally transcribe and review transcriptions of Smithsonian collections. To supplement the indexing work done by FamilySearch volunteers, the Freedmen’s Bureau Transcription Project will transcribe word-for-word every document in the collection. When completed, the papers will be searchable online. This joint effort will help increase access to the Freedmen’s Bureau collection and help the public learn more about the United States during Reconstruction.

The Freedmen’s Bureau, organized under an 1865 congressional order at the end of the Civil War, provided assistance to freed slaves in many ways. Handwritten records of these transactions include records such as marriage registers, hospital or patient registers, educational efforts, census lists, labor contracts and indenture or apprenticeship papers and other documents. The records were compiled in 15 states and the District of Columbia.

Elder Christofferson said the documents were challenging to index because the records were not kept in a uniform way. “Some were registries, others were handwritten documents and still others were collections of letters. Anyone who has ever tried to decipher handwriting from that time period knows that it can be extremely difficult.”

African Americans can access the Freedmen’s Bureau Records online at no cost at discoverfreedmen.org.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It is unfortunate that all the times this thread blows up is because some white idiot pokes his head into the thread and gets shooed away.

A lot of things posters like Negromancer have said have made me uncomfortable, but I don't see that as a bad thing, I see it as things my privilege has allowed me to distance myself from up until recently. There's been some times I've done that *stands up, opens mouth to object, sits back down knowing better*. The one thing I have to thank for some of the idiots in the thread is that it has given me a chance to reflect on my own thoughts, beliefs and biases and change many of them.

And at least for me, knowing the extent of all the privilege I've had in my life makes me realize things weren't that bad, all things considered. But instead of being :smug: about it, I really wish everybody could have a similar experience, and I've started thinking about things I can do, no matter how small, that can move everything in that direction.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

Luckily my family pretty much stayed in one place, so the Pike County Alabama library has been a godsend.

Ancestry.com has a lot of free resources, but also a few paid ones that are worth the money if you are willing to dig deep.

familysearch.org is the big free one by the Mormons. Ancestry tends to keep most of the good stuff under subscription. Also something like 10% of records are actually available online so tracing your lines back as far as possible to a point of origin even a county or what have you then going there (or hiring a researcher to go there, or joining a group like Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness and asking nicely for someone local to go there) and researching in actual land title records and wills and microfiche of newspapers and such (newspapers published EVERYBODY'S business back in the day, like down to the 'so and so are having cousins visit from the Big City for two weeks' type gossip stuff) will often get you further than a lot of random googling, though sometimes you get lucky and hit on a branch of your family someone's already researched (though you can't necessarily take that as gospel, lots of people want to find that great-grandma Indian princess or connection to royalty and will play fast and loose to get there). DNA can also help when you're unsure of where to look and ancestry and FTDNA have both dropped their prices permanently as of this year to like 59 dollars for the basic test (FTDNA has more extensive testing but it rapidly adds up and some is more useful than others).
There are also black-specific organizations and Facebook groups you can join (remember a lot of older people pick up this hobby because it is time-intensive and retirees have nothing but so be patient), here's a few:
http://www.afrigeneas.com/
http://www.aagg.org/
http://bbaaghs.org/
And a nice basic how-to guide from familysearch:
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/African_American_Genealogy

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Geostomp posted:

Clearly they just didn't inbreed hard enough to produce the master race.

Hits closer to the truth than you might think. Out of all ethnic populations, Africans have the largest genetic diversity; all other ethnotypes of H. Sapiens have a smaller subset of genetic variation all drawn from the larger pool of genes existing in those of modern Africans.

The primary cause of a reduction in genepool size is usually inbreeding. So, if you think about it, white folk are just really inbred Africans. :banjo:

Or to borrow a quote: "The darker the flesh, the deeper the roots".

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hits closer to the truth than you might think. Out of all ethnic populations, Africans have the largest genetic diversity; all other ethnotypes of H. Sapiens have a smaller subset of genetic variation all drawn from the larger pool of genes existing in those of modern Africans.

The primary cause of a reduction in genepool size is usually inbreeding. So, if you think about it, white folk are just really inbred Africans. :banjo:

Funny, I would have thought the commonality in the gene pool of every other ethnic population outside of Africans was because of Genghis Khan since that's the one place he didn't conquer and then hosed everything that moved that hasn't be wiped out or been nearly wiped by now.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Gringostar posted:

Funny, I would have thought the commonality in the gene pool of every other ethnic population outside of Africans was because of Genghis Khan since that's the one place he didn't conquer and then hosed everything that moved that hasn't be wiped out or been nearly wiped by now.

Nah, it's because every ethnic group outside of Africa originates from waves of migration out of Africa, and each one of those waves was essentially a genetic bottleneck on that group.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

Africans are also the only group without Neanderthal genes

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Oracle posted:

familysearch.org is the big free one by the Mormons. Ancestry tends to keep most of the good stuff under subscription. Also something like 10% of records are actually available online so tracing your lines back as far as possible to a point of origin even a county or what have you then going there (or hiring a researcher to go there, or joining a group like Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness and asking nicely for someone local to go there) and researching in actual land title records and wills and microfiche of newspapers and such (newspapers published EVERYBODY'S business back in the day, like down to the 'so and so are having cousins visit from the Big City for two weeks' type gossip stuff) will often get you further than a lot of random googling, though sometimes you get lucky and hit on a branch of your family someone's already researched (though you can't necessarily take that as gospel, lots of people want to find that great-grandma Indian princess or connection to royalty and will play fast and loose to get there). DNA can also help when you're unsure of where to look and ancestry and FTDNA have both dropped their prices permanently as of this year to like 59 dollars for the basic test (FTDNA has more extensive testing but it rapidly adds up and some is more useful than others).
There are also black-specific organizations and Facebook groups you can join (remember a lot of older people pick up this hobby because it is time-intensive and retirees have nothing but so be patient), here's a few:
http://www.afrigeneas.com/
http://www.aagg.org/
http://bbaaghs.org/
And a nice basic how-to guide from familysearch:
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/African_American_Genealogy

This was a really nice and helpful post.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Panfilo posted:

It is unfortunate that all the times this thread blows up is because some white idiot pokes his head into the thread and gets shooed away.

A lot of things posters like Negromancer have said have made me uncomfortable, but I don't see that as a bad thing, I see it as things my privilege has allowed me to distance myself from up until recently. There's been some times I've done that *stands up, opens mouth to object, sits back down knowing better*. The one thing I have to thank for some of the idiots in the thread is that it has given me a chance to reflect on my own thoughts, beliefs and biases and change many of them.

And at least for me, knowing the extent of all the privilege I've had in my life makes me realize things weren't that bad, all things considered. But instead of being :smug: about it, I really wish everybody could have a similar experience, and I've started thinking about things I can do, no matter how small, that can move everything in that direction.

As an idiot racist white guy, you're welcome. I am also happy that you finally found the ersatz you so desired to relieve the burning boredom of your privileged life in the plight of the oppressed negro. Yes let's all work together so that more people are able to enjoy this revitalizing experience.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

negromancer posted:

Call it out. If the person or people refuse to quit being on that bullshit then :sever:

Yea this is what I do. But going beyond "man what you just said is some bullshit" I feel like I get people thinking I'm just being patronizing. And that's not what I'm trying to do. In my mind it's like OK I'll never know what it's like to be someone else, and I don't want to sit around comparing personal burdens, because then a shithead can be like "I know rich black people and I'm not personally rich so racism doesn't exist" which is basically the same argument as "It was cold today so global warming isn't a thing."

So when it comes time to call out bullshit, I have 2 points of view, both accepting that racism is a real problem. 1- It's not my fight, let the oppressed have their own victory. 2- It's absolutely my fight because a minority is by definition outnumbered, so if I give a drat I need to participate.

I lean towards #2 but I never want to pretend I know the full extent of the problem. I just use heuristics like "racism is obviously a real problem until there's no time when I can say well poo poo at least I wasn't <race> back there because that would've been way worse" or "I don't understand how bad it is, but it's a problem that needs solving until the problem doesn't exist at all."

I think that pretending to truly understand someone else's troubles without having lived them is patronizing at best and counterproductive beyond that. So what course of action would you suggest to help in this fight without appropriating the fight?

Like for example that safety pin fad was the most self-serving pat on the back I've ever seen. I don't want that to be me.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fados posted:

As an idiot racist white guy, you're welcome. I am also happy that you finally found the ersatz you so desired to relieve the burning boredom of your privileged life in the plight of the oppressed negro. Yes let's all work together so that more people are able to enjoy this revitalizing experience.

I enjoy when racists show up to out themselves.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wouldn't drink that if I were her. It doubtless contains a lethal amount of salt.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

negromancer posted:

I enjoy when racists show up to out themselves.

Dude outed himself, so this calls for the free throw gif, bruh.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Dude outed himself, so this calls for the free throw gif, bruh.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Where's Pine Sol Lady Diane Amos and her white tears prism collection?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

there wolf posted:

Where's Pine Sol Lady Diane Amos and her white tears prism collection?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Lets see how much those who were tweeting about #BLMKidnapping talk about this story.

http://abc7chicago.com/1366899/

Might call it the #ALMLynching

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

negromancer posted:

Lets see how much those who were tweeting about #BLMKidnapping talk about this story.

http://abc7chicago.com/1366899/

Might call it the #ALMLynching

The comments are, of course, horrible. But then there's these:

quote:

Are you making excuses? Where are the leaders? Seems like this community needs to get it's act together. Bad family culture, no doubt.

quote:

Probably no fathers in the home. And they probably listen to heavy metal.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The comments are, of course, horrible. But then there's these:

It's hosed up they want to blame heavy metal when we all know country is the real culprit here.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gringostar posted:

It's hosed up they want to blame heavy metal when we all know country is the real culprit here.

I don't like most country. Darius Rucker is the only one with anything real to say.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I don't like most country. Darius Rucker is the only one with anything real to say.

Unironically, I've been more welcomed by country folks than metalheads. There is an element of tokenism a lot though

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Cowboy Troy is writing about his life and experiences just like any other artist. Not every song has to be about growing up poor in coal country to be "authentic."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Ayyyyyyyyyy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap7HzFlOXq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7omTUQUTFvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8Z-VJ3W9Q

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

:drat:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Article for discussion.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

there wolf posted:

Not every song has to be about growing up poor in coal country to be "authentic."

A genre of music that is literally "white people taking the best parts of music usually performed by black people in other genres and recycling it for white listeners" really doesn't have much of any foundation to lay on as "authentic" though.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Until white people get all riled up about what happened to the black kid in Idaho who was mentally deficient that was tortured by his white teammates and got off scot free, I honestly could give less of a gently caress.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

biracial bear for uncut posted:

A genre of music that is literally "white people taking the best parts of music usually performed by black people in other genres and recycling it for white listeners" really doesn't have much of any foundation to lay on as "authentic" though.

That's rock though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

Until white people get all riled up about what happened to the black kid in Idaho who was mentally deficient that was tortured by his white teammates and got off scot free, I honestly could give less of a gently caress.

:same:

I mean, until enough white people start getting hosed up for no reason that the rates match the incidents perpetrated against black people, stories like the one in that article shouldn't even be acknowledged on the news.

It's like the bullshit where a thousand black girls can get kidnapped and murdered without a peep but holy poo poo if a white girl goes missing is everyone going to hear about it for seven loving years.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gringostar posted:

That's rock though.

Nope, Country music (as it came up in the 1920s) was a direct knockoff of Blues music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It's like the bullshit where a thousand black girls can get kidnapped and murdered without a peep but holy poo poo if a white girl goes missing is everyone going to hear about it for seven loving years.

I wish it were only seven years. The media is still going on and on about JonBenet or some poo poo, and that poo poo has to be like 2 decades old at this point...

• Locked thread