Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
the Wachowskis are hack frauds

where's my Patreon money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

We've had more than that this decade already.

Not good ones.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FedEx Mercury posted:

Not good ones.

Arrival, Attack the Block, and The Martian were good.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Interstellar, star trek '09, Elysium (I'm sure someone is going to say Elysium is poo poo but I liked it).

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Elysium is poo poo, friend.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That's OK, star wars is poo poo too. Everything is poo poo.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Arrival isn't an adventure film and Star Trek '09 wasn't made this decade.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really liked Pacific Rim too, but I don't think it belongs on the list.

I haven't seen Deus Ex or Her or Under The Skin, but they got a lot of praise.

Edit: I missed the adventure qualifier.

But I maintain that Arrival was an adventure in learning.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 9, 2017

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

temple posted:

Marvel movies work because they hit the right chord at the right time. There is no mystery or genius about it.

Considering how many terrible film franchise attempts have come before and completely crashed and burned, I think you're really not giving it enough credit. I'm old enough to have seen every single drat attempt before, and really, nothing has ever been this huge with this many competent movies with this many players. What you call 'luck' I call 'a gently caress-ton of hard work and vision and a bit of luck'.

temple posted:

It was a long time in the coming but people were ready for light hearted action movies they could take their kids to. As seen with the superman, spiderman, and BvS films, people don't care about serious heroes any more but those films would have been massive 20 years ago. Movies like Batman and Robin, The Last Action Hero, and more were family friendly action films but they didn't click because adults saw them as childish. Eventually, the 80's-90s man children was grew up, started having kids, and there was a huge niche that no one had exploited since Indiana Jones. Pixar also had a huge hand in creating a market for witty family films that prepared the way for their live action counterparts. Marvel movies to me are more like old Star Trek episodes than any previous super hero movies.

Having watched all those movies at 'the right' age, nah - Batman and Robin went way beyond a knowing homage to the original into super uncomfortably gay and twink. Nipples on costumes just took it away from silly fun into 'how many times did the director sneak in and get butt-hosed in these' weirdness.

I think Last Action Hero had other problems. It seemed advertised poorly - the commercials fell flat. And, frankly, we had Arnie fatigue after seeing him everywhere for so long. We were also all about word of mouth back then, and I remember the word of mouth for it being really blah.

Having loved the original Superman I and II with Christopher Reeve, honestly the successful Marvel films feel like they're finally getting back to what that film attempted. A warm, heroic retelling with respect to the original characters. Formulaic? That's just respecting the genre! gently caress Ang Lee trying to make it art house. Give me Hulk wrecking poo poo and funny quips. That does feel like Original Star Trek, I guess, but that's the right thing to do IMO.

The only art house things I want to see are Moore's Swamp Thing or (completely not gonna happen) a Terry Gilliam from ten years ago making Miracleman.

temple posted:

Nolan's Batman is probably the exception but Nolan has a draw of his own.

Agreed. To add to it though, I think the lovely gay batman movies before, combined with the lingering love for Frank Miller's work and wanting to see Dark Knight in some form, primed people for Nolan's take.

thoughts and prayers fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 9, 2017

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Which door Neo chooses at the end and why he does it. Trinity is the cause, Neo's choice is the effect.

But the orgasm pie itself is dumb and pointless.

Insert James Franco "it's so good".

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Yeah, whilst Marvel get a fair amount of stick for being formulaic and mass-producing superhero popcorn chow from now until 2075, I don't think people realise how difficult that is. I can't think of any other cases (aside from Pixar and Disney in general maybe?) of film-making by committee actually working efficiently and as intended. Yes you lose the artistic vision, but you get reliable entertainment. Good for them.

Until they start loving with reviews and bribing people and murdering union organizers for all I know then gently caress them straight back to hell but there's nothing wrong with having engineered a factory floor for bland action superhero movies.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Martian was crap.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Randarkman posted:

The Martian was crap.

No, it was actually good.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Light hearted action movies just used to be a thing. Goonies, etc. And we used to get tons more Sci-Fi, think back to Commander Cody or whatever.

If you want to point a finger, point it at "dark" movies and America's absence of a good-enough space program.

[The Martian was okay and would have been better if it wasn't the 50th recent Save Matt Damon movie.]

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

MikeCrotch posted:

the Wachowskis are hack frauds

where's my Patreon money

We've made good films,
and bad films,
but mostly bad

The Wachowskis

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Speed Racer is a truly outstanding film.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
gently caress josh and gently caress the the video.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

the wachowskis made jupiter ascending so theyve already hit rock bottom. but for real that movie is so bad that its good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Prometheus was good, and it answered lots of questions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't tell if I don't like Josh on his own merits or because everyone says he's the worst. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. Can someone write an essay on Josh?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

thoughts and prayers posted:

Having watched all those movies at 'the right' age, nah - Batman and Robin went way beyond a knowing homage to the original into super uncomfortably gay and tweak. Nipples on costumes just took it away from silly fun into 'how many times did the director sneak in and get butt-hosed in these' weirdness.

I think Last Action Hero had other problems. It seemed advertised poorly - the commercials fell flat. And, frankly, we had Arnie fatigue after seeing him everywhere for so long. We were also all about word of mouth back then, and I remember the word of mouth for it being really blah.

Having loved the original Superman I and II with Christopher Reeve, honestly the successful Marvel films feel like they're finally getting back to what that film attempted. A warm, heroic retelling with respect to the original characters. Formulaic? That's just respecting the genre! gently caress Ang Lee trying to make it art house. Give me Hulk wrecking poo poo and funny quips. That does feel like Original Star Trek, I guess, but that's the right thing to do IMO.
My point is that Marvel films, to me, aren't about canon or consistency. I don't see that. I think Marvel captured the desire for relationship focused movies with quirky characters and they attached brands to it. Its like Teen Titans Go that goes completely the other direction in tone from other superhero cartoons.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I can't tell if I don't like Josh on his own merits or because everyone says he's the worst. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. Can someone write an essay on Josh?

You can summarize Josh's problem with one word: Tryhard.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i wonder if josh has ever seen a movie that anyone has ever heard of

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FedEx Mercury posted:

It's sci-fi though, how many decent sci-fi adventure movie do we get in a decade? Like three maybe.

As long as you equally gush over Valerian, it's cool

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Robo Reagan posted:

i wonder if josh has ever seen a movie that anyone has ever heard of

Not if he has anything to do with it!

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Guy Goodbody posted:

As long as you equally gush over Valerian, it's cool

I am absolutely desperate for Valerian to not suck but if I found out tomorrow that someone had murdered the two leads the world would be a better place.

Their faces are so bad.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

revdrkevind posted:

I am absolutely desperate for Valerian to not suck but if I found out tomorrow that someone had murdered the two leads the world would be a better place.

Their faces are so bad.

Hey gently caress you, I'm in love with that girl.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean more like a light-hearted adventure movie, like the first Pirates of the Carribean.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Valerian looks like more YA trash. Also it's a herb hippies and alt-med people like to push.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

the wachowskis made jupiter ascending so theyve already hit rock bottom. but for real that movie is so bad that its good.

I would watch Jupiter Ascending over any Marvel movie.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

greatn posted:

I would watch Jupiter Ascending over any Marvel movie.

You hate yourself too much.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Listening to the old X-Com stream and Jack is talking about being on a diet to lose weight

Buddy you need to eat some loving food and lift some weights, you look like a goddamn skeleton

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Baronjutter posted:

If an episode involves Josh he will without fail do a vaudeville chant whenever some inadvertent slapstick happens on screen and it is so unfunny

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also he is super unpleasant to look at and not even in a goofy lumpy Rich Evans way, dude's just eurgh

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I wonder if jay wishes he was a little bit taller.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

dreezy posted:

I wonder if jay wishes he was a little bit taller.

I have heard he wishes he was a baller.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

His reaction to the hilarious juicy Shaq meat tangent sums him up pretty well.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

priznat posted:

I have heard he wishes he was a baller.

I wish!

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The Marvel movies are the best attempts in years to bring the heroes from the comics to life without being too corny or too serious, it's not surprising people like them. They have enough budget to do them well with good actors, and they had a plan that started them all out as solo movies that branched into combined movies to flesh out backstories etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Go back and watch the first Iron Man and then come back to me mystified about why the Marvel movies work and I slap your face and make you watch it again.

RDJ is Tony Stark. It's the role he was born to play.

All of the casting has been spot on for the most part. Only the Hulks had issues, until we got Ruffalo.

• Locked thread