Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Could use feedback on this.
So far the itinerary looks like this.

1st time to Japan

27/03/2017 "Tokyo me and friend arrive midday
28/03/2017 Tokyo
29/03/2017 Tokyo
30/03/2017 "Tokyo
3rd friend Arrives 12:10"
31/03/2017 Tokyo
01/04/2017 Tokyo -> Mount Fuji -> Tokyo
02/04/2017 Tokyo -> Hakone -> Tokyo
03/04/2017 Tokyo -> Kyoto
04/04/2017 Kyoto
05/04/2017 Kyoto -> Nara -> Kyoto
06/04/2017 Kyoto
07/04/2017 Kyoto -> Beppu
08/04/2017 Beppu
09/04/2017 Beppu > Takachiho
10/04/2017 Takachiho
11/04/2017 Takachiho -> Beppu
12/04/2017 Beppu -> Tokyo
13/04/2017 Tokyo
14/04/2017 "Tokyo
me and friend Fly back
15/04/2017 Tokyo
16/04/2017 Tokyo
17/04/2017 "Tokyo
3rd friend fly's back

i would love some suggestion on how to handle my 1st time in japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sefal posted:

1st time to Japan

28/03/2017 Tokyo
29/03/2017 Tokyo
30/03/2017 "Tokyo
31/03/2017 Tokyo
04/04/2017 Kyoto
06/04/2017 Kyoto
08/04/2017 Beppu
10/04/2017 Takachiho
13/04/2017 Tokyo
14/04/2017 "Tokyo
me and friend Fly back
15/04/2017 Tokyo
16/04/2017 Tokyo
17/04/2017 "Tokyo
3rd friend fly's back

How about spending a few days in lovely Saitama?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sefal posted:

Stay in/near Hakone for two or three nights and save yourself a bunch of long train rides.

Also, when you say "Mount Fuji|", you mean "gazing at said Mount from a distance", right? Early April is well before official climbing season.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Araki posted:

Stay in/near Hakone for two or three nights and save yourself a bunch of long train rides.

Also, when you say "Mount Fuji|", you mean "gazing at said Mount from a distance", right? Early April is well before official climbing season.

Yes. We plan to walking around Kawaguchiko Lake (2-3 hour hike round)

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How about spending a few days in lovely Saitama?
Seems to be a good place for a day trip. Lots of parks?

Would be up for it. But we also want to go somewhere rural. Are there any places near tokyo? or between beppu > tokyo?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Half of the country is between Beppu and Tokyo. You can always do Shimanami Kaido, Koyasan, Iga Ueno (ninjas) or Kurashiki is cute too.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
To whoever recommended going to Miyajima on a day trip, thanks very much. It's beautiful here!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Sefal posted:

1st time to Japan

28/03/2017 Tokyo
29/03/2017 Tokyo
30/03/2017 "Tokyo
31/03/2017 Tokyo
04/04/2017 Kyoto
06/04/2017 Kyoto
08/04/2017 Beppu
10/04/2017 Takachiho
13/04/2017 Tokyo
14/04/2017 "Tokyo
me and friend Fly back
15/04/2017 Tokyo
16/04/2017 Tokyo
17/04/2017 "Tokyo
3rd friend fly's back

That's a ridiculous number of days in Tokyo. Tokyo is a pretty cool city for those of you living there, but unless you have a very particular interest in large cities and or really really love to shop, that's quite a long time for a tourist.

Recommendations out of Tokyo include: Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone, Kusatsu, Izu Hantou

Is there a particular reason you want to be at Takachiho for basically 3 days? I could be satisfied with 1.5 - 2 easily, at a relaxed pace. Yufuin technically has better onsen than Beppu. Kurokawa is better than both if you want peace and quiet with your onsen.

You're taking a plane back to Tokyo from Beppu right? How are you getting there from Kyoto?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Taking the transit to Oku-tama or Hinohara out of Tokyo was a great experience.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I miss Japanese snacks (just going to Lawson/7-11/Familymart was an adventure for me) so was delighted to see you can get some in the LA area. There's a Japanese market called Tokyo Central/Main (run by Marukai) in Gardena. There are mini-aisles for fried broad beans, Calbee soy sauce and butter Jagabee, etc. Also you can buy some of those model figures I kept seeing in arcades--but no crane game sorry.

I miss Japan, it was fun. Wish it was close enough for a 3-day weekend trip from LA. (I checked, the timing was crazy for all airlines except maybe NH but even then still crazy)

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mandalay posted:

I miss Japanese snacks (just going to Lawson/7-11/Familymart was an adventure for me) so was delighted to see you can get some in the LA area. There's a Japanese market called Tokyo Central/Main (run by Marukai) in Gardena. There are mini-aisles for fried broad beans, Calbee soy sauce and butter Jagabee, etc. Also you can buy some of those model figures I kept seeing in arcades--but no crane game sorry.

I miss Japan, it was fun. Wish it was close enough for a 3-day weekend trip from LA. (I checked, the timing was crazy for all airlines except maybe NH but even then still crazy)

People living here miss slushies. If the thing you miss the most about Japan is convenience stores and you live in LA, I suggest you learn to drive a little bit further before you fly half a world away to indulge in crappy fried chicken.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Ned posted:

People living here miss slushies. If the thing you miss the most about Japan is convenience stores and you live in LA, I suggest you learn to drive a little bit further before you fly half a world away to indulge in crappy fried chicken.

I miss a lot of things about Japan, thanks. The beautiful natural sights, the fascinating history, the incredible customer service everywhere, the cleanliness, the energy, the efficiency of the systems. The amazing food (everything from 100Y snacks to train station takoyaki to drunk kushikatsu to ryokan kaiseki to 2* Michelin sushi in Ginza). And it was all very reasonably priced compared to, say, Germany, Sedona, or London. Unfortunately, the only thing we can have here in LA that is truly the same is some of the fun snacks (and Yamazaki).

Ironically I didn't get to try any convenience store fried chicken, but that'll be for next time.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the fried chicken at Lawson's is loving delicious lol

but yeah, i get the fascination of convenience store stuff. my wife and i just hosted one of her best friends from the inaka in our small little town in maine, and she was absolutely floored by the portland maine mall, the walmart the next town over, and our local diner. all she wanted to do was just walk around in hannaford's. i was like "we can go to the portland headlight or the art district or whatever" and all she wanted to do was go back to walmart and keep looking at all the t-shirts lol

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

The Great Autismo! posted:

the fried chicken at Lawson's is loving delicious lol

but yeah, i get the fascination of convenience store stuff. my wife and i just hosted one of her best friends from the inaka in our small little town in maine, and she was absolutely floored by the portland maine mall, the walmart the next town over, and our local diner. all she wanted to do was just walk around in hannaford's. i was like "we can go to the portland headlight or the art district or whatever" and all she wanted to do was go back to walmart and keep looking at all the t-shirts lol

The family mart taiyaki (custard cream) is amazing as it has a texture like it has mocchi in the dough batter. I wish I brought a suitcase full of them home with me. .

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

General question for visiting Tokyo: how difficult is the language barrier? For context, I have some severe food allergies and thus finding acceptable food and ordering in restaurants is a concern when traveling in a foreign country. When I visited Germany, I was constantly reassured, "oh, everyone speaks English, you'll be fine", but I encountered numerous situations (in major cities) where the restaurant employees spoke zero English and I had to do my best via translating the menus and ordering in German. There's also other non-food service situations like train travel and such that I'm also interested in, but my general perception is that the language barrier would likely be more difficult in Tokyo versus my experiences in Germany, and so just looking for any more detail on that.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

General question for visiting Tokyo: how difficult is the language barrier? For context, I have some severe food allergies and thus finding acceptable food and ordering in restaurants is a concern when traveling in a foreign country. When I visited Germany, I was constantly reassured, "oh, everyone speaks English, you'll be fine", but I encountered numerous situations (in major cities) where the restaurant employees spoke zero English and I had to do my best via translating the menus and ordering in German. There's also other non-food service situations like train travel and such that I'm also interested in, but my general perception is that the language barrier would likely be more difficult in Tokyo versus my experiences in Germany, and so just looking for any more detail on that.

I'm allergic to fish, crustaceans, nuts, peas, beans and lentils and I had a blast in Japan last March. I got cards from https://www.selectwisely.com/ and i would show the card to the server and usually they would just point and laugh, but also point to the menu items that would not kill me. If you're traveling with people be prepared that not every restaurant will be able to accommodate you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sand Monster posted:

I was pretty surprised when I went to Tokyo in December at how few people speak English - even in the service industry. I did also find though that without exception every single person I interacted with really really wanted to provide the best service experience possible and when they learned that I was a foreign traveler were excited to help out where they could. This even applies to random people in the street. You'll be fine in Tokyo but if you go to some smaller suburbs/towns outside of downtown Tokyo it might take some extra time to help them understand what you mean.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

TWSS posted:

If you're traveling with people be prepared that not every restaurant will be able to accommodate you.

It would be a group of people, yes, and from my research so far it seems like eating as a group might definitely be a challenge since the rest of the group has no restrictions at all and will likely be looking to eat things that I can't.

VelociBacon posted:

I was pretty surprised when I went to Tokyo in December at how few people speak English - even in the service industry...

Yeah, that confirms my fears then.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I was surprised at how many things are posted in English (public transport, street signage, and tourist attractions), and every restaurant we went to had a serviceable English menu (except one off-the-beaten path ramen shop in Kyoto, but we walked by tens of more welcoming restaurants to discover that one). Ordering was very easy because we could point.

Even if I was super risk averse to trying new food, I could eat only at big Western hotel's restaurants in Tokyo and be fine, but then again I've never lived through severe food allergies.

We even had a scare during our trip where my wife forgot her wallet on the train in Yokohama. Panicking, we went to the station attendant, who calmly helped us navigate the situation in English, located the lost valuables, and directed us to the end of the line, where we spoke with an older station attendant (in English) who returned the completely intact wallet and had us fill out some paperwork (in English). Super professional and helpful, and late at night too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The week I spent in Tokyo I only encountered one person who spoke English at all. Including the loving international airport which was bizarre. Normal people fine but how do you not speak English at a major international airport? Anyway. Tokyo is used to tourists and people in Japan are generally quite patient and helpful with communications issues. Definitely bring one of those cards or something printed because the concept of food allergy doesn't really exist over here. I fortunately don't have any but friends who do constantly have problems trying to explain it.

Signage and whatnot is always in multiple languages including English, you'll have zero problems with getting around. It's talking to people where the issue arises.

If you post your food allergies we can give you a list of foods that are safe. If you can't eat seafood products I would just not touch Japanese food at all. Some Japanese adaptions of foreign food like yakiniku or tonkatsu would be okay.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've heard from people who have had to go through this that the Japanese seem to think that "food allergies" are the same thing as "I don't like it," so be prepared for locals to insist that you should just give something a try no matter how many times you explain that it will kill you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Or maybe they just want to kill you.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

I've heard from people who have had to go through this that the Japanese seem to think that "food allergies" are the same thing as "I don't like it," so be prepared for locals to insist that you should just give something a try no matter how many times you explain that it will kill you.

Any idea how this came to be? There are laws requiring allergen info to be listed on packaged food, so obviously even some Japanese people are allergic. It would be one thing if like only 1 in 1000 Japanese people had an allergy compared to 1 in 10 gaijins but afaik this isn't the case. Is it?

Edit: definitely eat yakiniku for every meal

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 11, 2017

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

Any idea how this came to be? There are laws requiring allergen info to be listed on packaged food, so obviously even some Japanese people are allergic. It would be one thing if like only 1 in 1000 Japanese people had an allergy compared to 1 in 10 gaijins but afaik this isn't the case. Is it?

Edit: definitely eat yakiniku for every meal

It is, for the ones you are interested in (ie, fish allergy is rarer across most Asians, excluding some regions).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3563019/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

People will understand if kids have allergies but adults are kinda... idk I don't know any adults here with serious allergies.

One problem is that in the Japanese language can/can't is used for food preferences. "I hate onions" is literally "I can't eat onions" and people will ask "Can you eat sushi? Can you eat miso?" instead of "Do you like ___."

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

People will understand if kids have allergies but adults are kinda... idk I don't know any adults here with serious allergies.

One problem is that in the Japanese language can/can't is used for food preferences. "I hate onions" is literally "I can't eat onions" and people will ask "Can you eat sushi? Can you eat miso?" instead of "Do you like ___."

Yeah but you can just say you have an allergy

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

If you can't eat seafood products I would just not touch Japanese food at all.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that would be the case but it makes sense. It's definitely concerning with their stance on food allergies but I understand if it's just something that is not very common in their country. Specific to this point you made, though, what would non Japanese food options be? Are you suggesting American type fast food restaurants which I assume are available all over Tokyo just as they are in the rest of the world?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah but you can just say you have an allergy

I saw a YouTube video about this and it said that it was "very dishonorable" to have an allergy in the bushido code.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sand Monster posted:

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that would be the case but it makes sense. It's definitely concerning with their stance on food allergies but I understand if it's just something that is not very common in their country. Specific to this point you made, though, what would non Japanese food options be? Are you suggesting American type fast food restaurants which I assume are available all over Tokyo just as they are in the rest of the world?

Tokyo's a world city, you can find just about anything there. For Japanese stuff that isn't seafood, yakiniku is the Japanese version of Korean bbq, katsu is deep fried meat like a schnitzel. Tempura is any sort of deep fried thing in a particular batter, which can be seafood or not. Vegetable tempura is good. Avoid all soups/stews/sauces because those likely will involve dashi somewhere, which is a seafood stock. Japan has a vegetarian/vegan tradition so you could check out those restaurants. Yakitori restaurants are grilled things on sticks, can be seafood or not.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

I ate kare raisu almost every day. Gyoza and tonkatsu are also okay for me and available nearly everywhere. Also, in the two weeks i was there i probably spent $200 on apples and bananas to stay regular.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

TWSS posted:

I ate kare raisu almost every day. Gyoza and tonkatsu are also okay for me and available nearly everywhere.

I think these would all be okay from a quick Google search but I'd need to delve deeper into the common ingredients.

Grand Fromage posted:

Tokyo's a world city, you can find just about anything there. For Japanese stuff that isn't seafood, yakiniku is the Japanese version of Korean bbq, katsu is deep fried meat like a schnitzel. Tempura is any sort of deep fried thing in a particular batter, which can be seafood or not. Vegetable tempura is good. Avoid all soups/stews/sauces because those likely will involve dashi somewhere, which is a seafood stock. Japan has a vegetarian/vegan tradition so you could check out those restaurants. Yakitori restaurants are grilled things on sticks, can be seafood or not.

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll continue to research. Seafood is okay I just didn't want to be relying on eating it multiple times per day, every day, for the entire trip (I assume mercury poisoning is still a concern for the fish consumed in Japan?).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

(I assume mercury poisoning is still a concern for the fish consumed in Japan?).

Not unless you're planning to eat top of the food chain all day every day for like, months.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TWSS posted:

I ate kare raisu almost every day. Gyoza and tonkatsu are also okay for me and available nearly everywhere. Also, in the two weeks i was there i probably spent $200 on apples and bananas to stay regular.

I ate both apples and bananas almost every day... what sort of artisanal fruit were you eating? A presliced bag of apples from a conbini is like ¥150 and a banana was about 100. :psyduck:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sand Monster posted:

What allergies do you have? Some allergies are more difficult to avoid than others (I can't imagine how you'd eat in Japan with a soy allergy) but if you list them, we can tell you about specific things you should watch out for that might not be immediately obvious.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

What allergies do you have? Some allergies are more difficult to avoid than others (I can't imagine how you'd eat in Japan with a soy allergy) but if you list them, we can tell you about specific things you should watch out for that might not be immediately obvious.

The primary allergies of concern are meat (severe; everything except seafood, and particularly poultry) and eggs. Some lesser allergies like peanuts and a few fruits aren't as severe so not necessarily worried about those.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wait what? I thought the other guy was trolling a bit with his allergies to peanuts, shellfish, and beans.

Meat and poultry products? What the? Also, you're screwed, mayo and eggs are either on or in everything. I would warn you about eggs on hamburgers, but since hamburgers are out of the mix.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Phone posted:

Wait what? I thought the other guy was trolling a bit with his allergies to peanuts, shellfish, and beans.

Meat and poultry products? What the? Also, you're screwed, mayo and eggs are either on or in everything. I would warn you about eggs on hamburgers, but since hamburgers are out of the mix.

Yeah, not a troll, unfortunately. It's quite rare, guess I'm "lucky".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The only other guy with a meat and poultry and egg allergy I knew was diagnosed in Venezuela in the 70's and never did follow-up testing...

You're now a vegan, except for sushi. Good luck!

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

(I can't imagine how you'd eat in Japan with a soy allergy)

I basically had an itchy throat for the whole trip and now I use soy sauce pretty frequently to try and desensitize myself in preparation for my next trip.

Sand Monster posted:

The primary allergies of concern are meat (severe; everything except seafood, and particularly poultry) and eggs. Some lesser allergies like peanuts and a few fruits aren't as severe so not necessarily worried about those.

What the actual gently caress? You can be allergic to meat? You're going to have a really hard time unless you eat exclusively sushi.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I *JUST* listened to a podcast about (red) meat allergy:

https://www.radiolab.org/story/alpha-gal

In this particular case, it's related to tick bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You can actually acquire a meat allergy from some tick bites: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy