Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Checks out.

Also the owner of IKEA is a massive Nazi supporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Why were there so many Nazi sympathizers in the US? It seems strange to me after the US had just fought in World War 1. Was it due to the large German population here? I read that was a big reason the US waiting so long to get into WW1 but didn't know if it played a part in WW2.

Plenty of anti-semites in the US. Plus the nazis loved killing anyone who didn't fit in, such as homosexuals. They had a lot to bond over!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Scientific racism - eugenics. Mutual fascination with getting trains to run on time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alhazred posted:

Another was caught because he had german sausages in his suitcase.

Getting caught was his wurst case scenario

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Isolationism was a big thing in America at the time. Plus, everybody knew that Germany's real target was Russia so it's not really America's business and England losing a few colonies to the Japanese also isn't really America's business. As long as the Monroe Doctrine held, let the Europeans fight their endless wars because that is all they seem capable of.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Samovar posted:

No, no. You mean Schindler's.

Edit: A more serious comment - Babylonians were able to count up to 60 in their hands, using the knuckles of four fingers on one hand and the five digits on the other as multiples of 12. That's why there are still some methods of measurement dependent on 60 or subdivisions thereof.
I don't know that there's any proof of that. Cuneiform is famous for showing they reckoned in base 60, except it was still composed of unit symbols of 10. Their reckoning in base 60 seemed very dependent on algorithmically using tables of values because the unit symbols of 10 implied they counted their fingers and toes like the rest of us.

Fingers and toes systems are interesting because they went out of vogue with shoes but it shows up in linguistic oddities like 20 and multiples of it having similar etymology as if to say "1 man - 2 man" for 20 and 40. Or french counting giving up after 70 and using 4 20s and 4 20s and 10 instead of the expected latin transliterations. And in english, being defined as a score.

12 and 60 were recognized in ancient times and survive as useful counts to modern times because 12 can be easily gradated by 2, 3, and 4, and 60 by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Why were there so many Nazi sympathizers in the US? It seems strange to me after the US had just fought in World War 1. Was it due to the large German population here? I read that was a big reason the US waiting so long to get into WW1 but didn't know if it played a part in WW2.
Beside racism and eugenics being in vogue, big business leaders wanted a shift to fascism with the analogy that if it works so well for gigantic business it must be a better choice for running an entire country, which is just its own big business. Just look at plucky Germany, using fascism to stand up to the oppressing English and French.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Jan 9, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when the Germans imposed brutal terms on the Russians when they surrendered in WW1 and then were sad that the allies did it to them when they lost. :laffo:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Scientific racism - eugenics. Mutual fascination with getting trains to run on time.

Wait. A fascination with trains? Oh god. Is....is fascism just autism?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Slime posted:

Wait. A fascination with trains? Oh god. Is....is fascism just autism?

Separating people into categories, simplification of art, insisting everyone dress similarly, and a fanatical devotion to certain ideals and lashing out against things that don't fit a certain worldview?

Checks out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Anybody know any good Manhattan Project stories?

Manhattan Project, Bletchley Park, Code Talkers - in that order - are probably my favourite historical facts.

When I read The Making of the Atomic Bomb what raised my eyebrows the most was the construction of the world's first artificial reactor, Chicago Pile One. I guess our modern perception of nuclear reactors is that they are highly secure, shielded and protected facilities that must be carefully monitored and maintained lest we all die in a nuclear fireball, so learning the first one was literally a pile of graphite blocks, some with uranium in them, that were stacked by hand underneath the bleachers at Stagg Field at the University of Chicago seemed a little negligent to me.

Those early guys were really cavalier about radiation.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

zoux posted:

When I read The Making of the Atomic Bomb what raised my eyebrows the most was the construction of the world's first artificial reactor, Chicago Pile One. I guess our modern perception of nuclear reactors is that they are highly secure, shielded and protected facilities that must be carefully monitored and maintained lest we all die in a nuclear fireball, so learning the first one was literally a pile of graphite blocks, some with uranium in them, that were stacked by hand underneath the bleachers at Stagg Field at the University of Chicago seemed a little negligent to me.

Yeah safety during the early nuclear program was lacking to say the least. There's also the famous story of how people were worried a lightning storm would set off the Trinity Gadget the night before detonation, so someone had to spend the night in the metal tower with the bomb to make sure. Or how for a while every core was hand assembled, often with screwdrivers to make sure poo poo didn't go critical, which had expectedly tragic results

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

My takeaway from the manhattan project was mostly the science man (who was totally wrong) speculating that a nuclear bomb could ignite atmospheric nitrogen.

It's really horrific to imagine some military guys just chomping cigars and saying go ahead and light this bitch.

Shut up nerd.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

syscall girl posted:

My takeaway from the manhattan project was mostly the science man (who was totally wrong) speculating that a nuclear bomb could ignite atmospheric nitrogen.

It's really horrific to imagine some military guys just chomping cigars and saying go ahead and light this bitch.

Shut up nerd.

That's a way overstated but very common anecdote. What actually happened was some of the Los Alamos Eggheads were like "hey can this possibly ignite the whole atmosphere" and they went to a Senior Egghead (Teller I think) who did some math that proved it wasn't the case.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Nivea and Hugo Boss. Any other nazi products I can put on my avoid-list?

Any Trump brands

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

That's a way overstated but very common anecdote. What actually happened was some of the Los Alamos Eggheads were like "hey can this possibly ignite the whole atmosphere" and they went to a Senior Egghead (Teller I think) who did some math that proved it wasn't the case.

Yeah that seems about right.

But being a kid in the wake of the cold war doing a book report on it, it sent chills up my spine.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

zoux posted:

It took me a bit to look it up, but here's the relevant passages from The Making of the Atomic Bomb pg 418-19

quote:

Theoretically, 12 kilograms of liquid heavy hydrogen –26 pounds– ignited by one atomic bomb would explode with a force equivalent to 1 million tons of TNT. So far as Oppenheimer and his group knew at the beginning of the summer, an equivalent fission explosion would require some 500 atomic bombs.

That reckoning alone would have been enough to justify devoting the summer to imagining the Super[Hydrogen Bomb] a little way out of the darkness. Teller found something else as well, or thought he did, and with his usual pellmell facility he scattered it before them. There are many other thermonuclear reactions besides the D + D reactions. Bethe had examined a number of them methodically when looking for those that energized massive stars. Now Teller offered several which a fission bomb or a Super might inadvertently trigger. He proposed to the assembled luminaries the possibility that their bombs might ignite the earth's oceans or it's atmosphere and burn up the world, the very result Hitler occasionally joked about with Albert Speer.
"I didn't believe it from the first minute, Bethe scoffs. "Oppie took it sufficiently seriously that he went to see Compton. I don't think I would have done it if I had been Oppie, but then Oppie was a more enthusiastic character then I was." [...]

The Cornell physicist's instant skepticism gives perspective to Compton's melodramatic recollection of his meeting with Oppenheimer:
I'll never forget that morning. I drove Oppenheimer from the railroad station down to the beach looking out over the peaceful lake. There I listened to his story...
Was there really any chance that an atomic bomb would trigger the explosion of the nitrogen in the atmosphere or the hydrogen in the ocean? This would be the ultimate catastrophe. Better to accept the slavery of the Nazis then to run a chance of drawing the final curtain on Mankind!
We agreed there could be only one answer. Oppenheimer's team must go ahead with the calculations.

Bethe already had. "I soon found some unjustified assumptions in Teller's calculations which made such a result extremely unlikely, to say the least. Teller was very soon persuaded by my arguments." [...]
It was assumed that only the most energetic of several possible [thermonuclear] reactions would occur, and that the reaction cross sections were at the maximum values theoretically possible. Calculations led to the result that no matter how high the temperature, energy loss would exceed energy production by a reasonable factor. [...]The impossibility of igniting the atmopshere was thus assured by science and common sense.

The Hydrogen Bomb was Teller's baby, and he was desperate all through the Manhattan project to get resources devoted to working on it, to the point of developing a vendetta against Oppenheimer for scaling back to focus on finalizing the fission bomb. I really would not be surprised if it turned out he purposefully played up the 'destroy the earth' angle as a way to get people to pay more attention to his idea.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

There's the old folk etymology for the word "scram" as it pertains to shutting down a nuclear reactor, as standing for something like Safety Control Rod Axe Man. There's supposed to have been a set of control rods, dangling over the reactor pile, held in place by a single rope. In the case of a runaway fission event, there was a guy stationed with an axe ready to chop the rope, drop the rods and stifle the reaction. Whether the Chicago Pile was actually built like that or not, I don't know, but it's a cute enough story.

Also I always like the technical euphemisms hiding the horrible monsters of nuclear research. "Critical excursion", "physics package".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phy posted:

There's the old folk etymology for the word "scram" as it pertains to shutting down a nuclear reactor, as standing for something like Safety Control Rod Axe Man. There's supposed to have been a set of control rods, dangling over the reactor pile, held in place by a single rope. In the case of a runaway fission event, there was a guy stationed with an axe ready to chop the rope, drop the rods and stifle the reaction. Whether the Chicago Pile was actually built like that or not, I don't know, but it's a cute enough story.

CP‐1 definitely did have that feature—the axeman was Norman Hilberry.

But that’s not really whence “SCRAM” derives. It’s a backronym.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Dr Oetker was a nazi and volunteered for SS.

steinrokkan posted:

Checks out.

Also the owner of IKEA is a massive Nazi supporter.

Germany, 1944:

"Bring me the next prisoner"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hogge Wild posted:

Germany, 1944:

"Bring me the next prisoner"

Oetker pizzas are amazing, and I don't care if it's thanks to Nazi technology. The unfortunate pizzaburger is the only secret weapon that deserves scorn, probably because the camps closed before they could perfect it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

zoux posted:

At the time people also weren't quite sure just how dangerous radiation was yet. Nuclear anything was this weird thing nobody really knew anything about and people were blundering around and figuring it out. Yeah they had an idea that radiation probably wasn't healthy and criticality accidents could happen but nobody was quite sure how bad it was. Then a few bombs went off, radiation poisoning happened, and...yeah.

Related historical fact that is actually kind of not fun. And by that I mean a lot of not fun. Marie Curie probably died of radiation poisoning. She did a ton of work on radioactive elements and early radiation work in general and is pretty much one of the reasons the Manhattan Project was even able to happen in the first place. She carried around radium in her pockets when she was screwing around with it and had a few chunks of glowing stuff on her desk because she liked how it looked.

Actual fun information about her! Even though she married a French guy and moved to France she stayed Polish as gently caress her entire life. She even named polonium after Poland. She was also not only the first woman to win the Nobel prize she was the first person to win two of them and the only woman to ever do that.

Her husband Pierre was also a pretty good scientist in his own right. They were both pretty much quiet nerds that just wanted to science a lot. They shared a lab and did a very good job of staying out of each others' way but also helping each other and not trying to one up the other. If memory serves Pierre was more famous at the time and did some research that would eventually lead to electronics. Marie, however, has gone down in history in a bigger way because, you know, atomic everything.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
If only Lowtax had read about her. :(

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

mediocre dad okay posted:

Fuckin' Garbo. I love how he managed to convince the Nazis that the main attack was coming through Calais even after Normandy happened. Plus that whole Iron Cross + MBE thing. A goddamn national treasure, that man :spain:.

Pujol was awesome: hired by the Nazis to spy on England and promptly moves to Portugal and just submits intel based on what he reads in magazine and shipping and train timetables.

I spent a little time in Lisbon and liked to imagine him kicking back on his balcony overlooking a plaza, sipping on port and flipping through a magazine: "top secret: Laurence Olivier opening in Hamlet in West End on Saturday; send more spy money please."

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Marie Curie's daughter Irène Joliot-Curie also deserves mention for playing a major role in both puzzling out the components of atoms and the possibility of nuclear fission, although it took others to realize the implications of her experimental results.
She did receive a joint nobel prize with her own husband Frédéric Joliot-Curie for their work on artificial radioactivity and how to change one element into another.

Irène's daughter Hélène Langevin-Joliot is still alive today at 89, and teaches nuclear physics at the university of Paris.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AriadneThread posted:

Marie Curie's daughter Irène Joliot-Curie also deserves mention for playing a major role in both puzzling out the components of atoms and the possibility of nuclear fission, although it took others to realize the implications of her experimental results.
She did receive a joint nobel prize with her own husband Frédéric Joliot-Curie for their work on artificial radioactivity and how to change one element into another.

Irène's daughter Hélène Langevin-Joliot is still alive today at 89, and teaches nuclear physics at the university of Paris.

Sounds like alchemy, shall we burn her?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Marie Curie's notebooks are still so radioactive they can't be viewed up close

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Demon Core

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/demon-core-the-strange-death-of-louis-slotin

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Scholars can handle them, they just have to sign a liability waver and wear protective clothing.

The clothing prevents you from carrying hot particles around with you when you leave, but doesn’t do anything to protect you from exposure while in the documents’ presence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Pujol was awesome: hired by the Nazis to spy on England and promptly moves to Portugal and just submits intel based on what he reads in magazine and shipping and train timetables.

I spent a little time in Lisbon and liked to imagine him kicking back on his balcony overlooking a plaza, sipping on port and flipping through a magazine: "top secret: Laurence Olivier opening in Hamlet in West End on Saturday; send more spy money please."

I love how his whole reason for becoming a double-agent is "The British rejected my application? gently caress it, I'll do it myself."

Also the time he had one of his fictional agents die and the British government published an obituary to sell it...and then he went and convinced the Germans to pay a pension to his widow.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_involved_in_the_Holocaust

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Carbon dioxide posted:

Schindler was the guy who hid jews from the nazis, if I remember the film correctly.

Sorry, was a bad joke on the fact that there's a company called Schindler's Lifts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The etymology of "gift" in German is very interesting. Originally, Gift meant... gift, the same thing it means in English. And English maintains the original German meaning of the word. However, now Gift (in German) means "poison", because it was used as a euphemism so often.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Secret Santa '44 was schrecklich as hell.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Pick posted:

The etymology of "gift" in German is very interesting. Originally, Gift meant... gift, the same thing it means in English. And English maintains the original German meaning of the word. However, now Gift (in German) means "poison", because it was used as a euphemism so often.

Could also be related to how you use "dose", which in Greek means "a giving".
Like a certain amount of something you give of a potion, medicine or, poison.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Jan 10, 2017

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

That was manufactured by IG Farben, known today as BASF, Bayer and Agfa.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

That was manufactured by IG Farben, known today as BASF, Bayer and Agfa.

The poison with the pull tab for your convenience.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

In Dutch, gift means, well gift. There's another Dutch word for gifts, the word 'gift' itself is mostly used in the sense of a charity donation.

The Dutch word for poison, toxin and venom is 'gif' without the t. The etymology is the same: a gif is something that's given to someone.

Speaking of which, recently I read somewhere that English is actually the only language that has different words for poison, toxin and venom, or at the very least for poisonous and venomous animals. That's why foreigners like myself always get it wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Dutch word for poison, toxin and venom is 'gif' without the t. The etymology is the same: a gif is something that's given to someone.

But how do you pronounce “gif”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

But how do you pronounce “gif”?

the 'g' is pronounced like clearing some bad phlegm from your throat.