Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

BigRoman posted:

So i decided to give this game a shot. I noticed I can learn 2 types of skills, should I only learn the class I plan on being (sith mage) or should I learn the assassin skills as well. (i.e. is there a hard cap on skills you can know/does using other skills hurt you in any way)?

If you've chosen Sorceror you don't have the ability to learn Assassin skills. If you have access to Assassin skills you may have chosen the wrong class.

There are Inquisitor skills that both have access to and use.

Here is a character builder if you want to see what abilities classes get.

DrunkenGarbageCan fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm burning with envy like my Revanite mantle wasn't.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Tick tock, just over an hour remains!

Edit: all over.

Congratulations to all six of you non-slackers! After careful deliberation the winners have been decided:

1st prize: Dely Apple for the charming manger scene, complete with little details such as the guiding star and three wise Jawas.
2nd prize: MadDogMike and a very jolly Sithmas.
3rd prize: McSpanky with cocktail party and gift exchange.

I'm going to assume Dely will want the Unstable Peacemakers Lightsaber, Mike the dual variant? If not speak up. McSpanky - you'll get first pick of whatever else is in the Oedzi Memorial Stash, be it one of the many companion handler licenses, emotes or whatever.

First pick? Why yes, Dalris Othaine, M_Sinistrari and Bilirubin, you ALSO get a pick of the vault on a first come, first served basis once McSpanky has chosen their loot!

Edit2:

Dely Apple: Unstable Peacemaker's Lightsaber
MadDogMike: Koensayr Revolution
McSpanky: Unstable Peacemaker's Dualsaber
Dalris: Resplendent Crown of Avarice
M_Sinistrari: Sacramental Headdress
Bilirubin: Swamp Rancor

Aleth fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 9, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Gratz to those that played. Please post your prize of choice within the next 7 days or so. Last time we did this one of the winners took like a month to post.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
I WANT THE GOLD PIMP CROWN

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 8, 2017

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

also grots to the other players, we had some awesome entries :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Addendum: Ship expansion parts are off limits in the vault as well, for obvious reasons.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Dalris Othaine posted:

Assuming 1st-3rd don't pick it instead it'll be yours.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Aleth posted:

Assuming 1st-3rd don't pick it instead it'll be yours.

:neckbeard:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Dalris Othaine posted:

drat, that was going to be my pick. So I'll go with my second, that Sacramental Headdress.

And congrats to the winners. There were some really creative entries to go up against.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

drat, that was going to be my pick. So I'll go with my second, that Sacramental Headdress.

And congrats to the winners. There were some really creative entries to go up against.

Added to the list, just need to wait for 1st-3rd to confirm their prizes!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Congrats all!

There are scads of mounts or decorations I would love to have so once all of the better decorators are done I'll see what's left.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Hooray. And I didn't even get to post my Grandma Rancor (with photos of Jesus and the grandkids on the wall)

I'll take the lightsaber. Thanks! Make them stop making me work!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Here's a question I'm too embarrassed to ask anywhere else; in huttball, can you throw to a stealthed character, or do they have to be out of stealth in order to receive the pass?

Also, how do the mechanics work on interceptions? Is it just that if more people on the enemy team than on your team are standing in the pass circle, one of them will intercept it, or is it something else?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Actually I already have the Unstable Peacemaker's Dual Saber, so I'll pass that one on to the next person if they like. I'll take the Koensayr Revolution instead, that round wheel mount I think will look cool. And I'm glad everybody enjoyed it, I was stumped for ideas then it just all came to me in a flash last minute :).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

Here's a question I'm too embarrassed to ask anywhere else; in huttball, can you throw to a stealthed character, or do they have to be out of stealth in order to receive the pass?

I believe they have to be unstealthed to catch

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also, how do the mechanics work on interceptions? Is it just that if more people on the enemy team than on your team are standing in the pass circle, one of them will intercept it, or is it something else?

They have to be unstealthed to catch. If they destealth as soon as they see the pass circle they can still catch it, but yeah they won't catch it if they stay stealthed.

Interceptions work just based on positioning as far as I know. If two people are in the pass circle, usually the person closest to where the throw came from gets it. That's why if you leap to a person trying to catch right after you see the circle appear you can usually intercept it, same for if you just try and stand right in front of the intended catcher. Sometimes it doesn't work out though since the positioning can get a bit wonky. You might also have to be closer to the center than right on the edge of the circle but I'm not sure.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'll take the Koensayr Revolution mount*, I love monocycles and free beats the ransom it's going for on the exchange. Thank you so much and grats to everyone!

*Were it available, I would forfeit the contest, anything in my stash, and indeed my intimate dignity for a Senya's lightsaber pike.

e:

MadDogMike posted:

Actually I already have the Unstable Peacemaker's Dual Saber, so I'll pass that one on to the next person if they like. I'll take the Koensayr Revolution instead

FINE BE THAT WAY :argh:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

MadDogMike posted:

Actually I already have the Unstable Peacemaker's Dual Saber, so I'll pass that one on to the next person if they like. I'll take the Koensayr Revolution instead, that round wheel mount I think will look cool. And I'm glad everybody enjoyed it, I was stumped for ideas then it just all came to me in a flash last minute :).

Alrighty, that means the dual saber is yours if you want it McSp-

McSpanky posted:

I'll take the Koensayr Revolution mount*, I love monocycles and free beats the ransom it's going for on the exchange. Thank you so much and grats to everyone!

*Were it available, I would forfeit the contest, anything in my stash, and indeed my intimate dignity for a Senya's lightsaber pike.

e:

FINE BE THAT WAY :argh:

Whoops.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I kid, Mike's perfectly entitled to his choice! My alternate pick is the regal tauntaun, been wanting one I could unlock in collections for a while now (the tundra tauntaun you can get from Hoth only unlocks for the character you grind/buy it on, sigh).

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

I kid, Mike's perfectly entitled to his choice! My alternate pick is the regal tauntaun, been wanting one I could unlock in collections for a while now (the tundra tauntaun you can get from Hoth only unlocks for the character you grind/buy it on, sigh).

I'll pencil you in for the 300k regal tauntaun but I figure you might still want the 17m+ dualsaber somehow.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hm, I guess I mixed up the value of that tauntaun with something else. Yeah, dualsaber works.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Ok then, current prize list:

Aleth fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 9, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I don't want to tell you how to live your life, Dalris, but you can buy a Crown of Avarice for sub 1 million...the TY-4N companion is 7.8 million...

But it's completely up to you. :)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Swamp Rancor me please and ty

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
So here's a question for the veterans here. Which voice actor for each class do you like better? I've played two characters so far: Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Knight, both female. I quite like the Inquisitor's voice acting (it's so perfectly arrogant), but I'm not as big a fan of the Knight's (it's not bad, necessarily, but it just makes the character sound like a naive pushover too often). I don't actually know if the male versions for those classes are better or worse, though. Anyway, the voice acting seems like the biggest factor in choosing a character's gender (I don't really care about the romances), so I'm curious about whether there are any strong opinions on which ones are better. If there are any other reasons to pick one gender over the other for a particular class, I'd be happy to hear that, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All 4 Jedi voices are pretty dull. Intentionally, but that doesn't make it any better.

Female Inquisitor plays crazy better than the male does, and if you're not playing crazy Inquisitor you're wrong.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Aphrodite posted:

Female Inquisitor plays crazy better than the male does, and if you're not playing crazy Inquisitor you're wrong.

I can never bring myself to be evil, honestly. One of things I like so much about the female Inquisitor voice is that even picking all the light-side options, I can still have my character sound like an arrogant jerk and be rude to people I don't like. I dislike how often "good" ends up meaning "boring". Honestly, my favourite thing about being light-side as an Imperial character is that you so often get to tell the people giving you orders to gently caress off as you disobey them. So I guess I'm doing it wrong. :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Inquisitior Light Side is best played as a male - the voice is better and the romance makes more sense as a light side/grey side.

Inquisitior Dark Side is amazing with the female voice. She's just psychotic and condescending.

I prefer the Male warrior and Agent as well. Another example of the romances making FAR more sense as a male. Female agent...Ughhh... Bugs

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Male agent is probably my favorite VA in the game. He's got the perfect smarmy imperial officer voice.

Male BH is worth it just for the scenes where he inexplicably has a lisp

I hated both male Jedi voices, which is a shame, because I actually really like the voice actors (David hayter for knight, Nolan north for consular). They just weren't suited for the characters at all. It almost feels like a clerical error because they'd be perfect for trooper and smuggler, respectively, but instead they landed the "you aren't allowed to be emotional or funny at any time" parts.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 9, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Viscardus posted:

I dislike how often "good" ends up meaning "boring".

I can't stand this attitude either, and it's been going on with Bioware games at least as early as Mass Effect with Paragon/Renegade and probably earlier than that. It does make me wonder what sort of lives do these people lead if they interpret things like this. But then this is the fandom who had a tizzy over Vette isn't talkative to the Warrior at all if the slave collar never came off and was abusive to her, the strong possibility that a DS Jaesa has moved on without you, and Lana had a thing going with Koth if you romanced her during the time in carbonite. .

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but in Star Wars it's true. Light side is boring.

Not being boring is the path to the Dark Side.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

I don't want to tell you how to live your life, Dalris, but you can buy a Crown of Avarice for sub 1 million...the TY-4N companion is 7.8 million...

Same for the Sacramental Headdress, thinking about it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Male Consular sucks for Padawan/Young Jedi, but suits the Jedi Master role (plus his range increases, by KOTFE some of the darkside reads are outstanding).

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Medullah posted:

I was thinking about it, but I realized I would never be able to justify dropping that kind of cash on it, where a companion or whatever is actually useful. If I can't get awesome gaudy poo poo as a prize for a christmas contest then WHAT IS CHRISTMAS EVEN FOR

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Medullah posted:

Female agent...Ughhh... Bugs

Look at how wrong you are

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Male Knight sounds like a goddamn speak and spell

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Alright, people below say which character you want your prize sending to. M_Sinistrari might want to swap out that headdress for something more valuable though, and Dalris has looted his crown already.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Aleth posted:

Same for the Sacramental Headdress, thinking about it.

I know whatever I get out of participating in any of the contests, I can do whatever with. No one's going to care if I sell it off or keep it. But even though I'm still grinding heroics and playing the GTN to earn enough credits to eventually buy a Darth Andeddu and a Jori Daragon armor set with the fleeting hope that one will list on the GTN at a price that's not an arm, a leg, and both tits, I would feel weird selling off a prize I won in a contest silly as that sounds. Really, while the contest was going on, I kept looking at the sabers in the bank thinking that while I do like the look, it's not worth the prices on the GTN for it and if by some fluke I won one, I'd be arguing with myself about what pretty pixels I want more and what's the likelihood of the GTN prices dropping.

God, why can't they just put some of this stuff up on the Cartel Market and make it easier for my pretty princess dressup addiction?!

edit to add: Any of my roster's good, send it to Ahdiia or I'll be logging in shortly and hit the bank then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure I have 2 pieces of the Darth Andeddu you can have.

I forget which ones, I can check tonight.

• Locked thread