Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Well, take heart that if we've learned anything from Russia, its that they are not very good at planning long distance Naval operations yet, considering they nearly ran their carrier heading to Syria out of fuel.

Yeah, it took a pilot to go the extra mile and pull that one off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, it took a pilot to go the extra mile and pull that one off.

Hasn't that carrier also experienced a rash of aircraft accidents during Syria operations? Like, not only did they get denied fuel by Spain, their operations are not going well.
Had at least two aircraft crashes in less than 3 weeks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.8e16fc863ea6
Bonus: Its Russia's ONLY aircraft carrier.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CommieGIR posted:

We have 10 active carriers, and 2 under construction, and 1 more planned. Even if half of them went to drydock, we'd still have more than any other Nation currently in operation.

Add in the LHDs and you have more than every other nation combined

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I tend to be very anti-child/children, but holy gently caress the Chinese government racked up some numbers that seriously made me go :stonk:

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/818492597392080898

That's one hell of a policy shift from 'ONE CHILD ONLY UNDER PENALTY OF FORCED STERILIZATION' to 'ok we'll yank out your IUID for free, we need you to get back to fuckin again'.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

Add in the LHDs and you have more than every other nation combined

Seriously. Totally forgot the Assault Ships which are larger than a World War 2 era main carrier.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Are they even carrying Harriers anymore, or is it just helicopters?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Gotta say Trump melting down over Meryl Streep is a pretty good way to start the week. Even some of the Trump supporters I know are starting to get fed up with his meltdowns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
And he hasn't even taken office yet. :lol:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This phrasing sort of drills the whole thing home, past 'generic actress wins award, talks politics' thing:

https://twitter.com/annetdonahue/status/818315112918487040

lol nothing still matters though

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Are they even carrying Harriers anymore, or is it just helicopters?

The US? Yes, still using Harriers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Gotta say Trump melting down over Meryl Streep is a pretty good way to start the week. Even some of the Trump supporters I know are starting to get fed up with his meltdowns.

Especially over someone as worthless as Meryl Streep. I mean why would anyone care what some Botox riddled celeb has to say about them, well normal person at least.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Especially over someone as worthless as Meryl Streep. I mean why would anyone care what some Botox riddled celeb has to say about them, well normal person at least.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:allears:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Come on guys we're only in week 2 of the new thread

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That was a pretty poo poo post though tbf

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

So shitposting shitposts is cool right?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

facialimpediment posted:

I tend to be very anti-child/children, but holy gently caress the Chinese government racked up some numbers that seriously made me go :stonk:

That's one hell of a policy shift from 'ONE CHILD ONLY UNDER PENALTY OF FORCED STERILIZATION' to 'ok we'll yank out your IUID for free, we need you to get back to fuckin again'.

That reminds me of the story when Mao decided sparrows were harming Chinese agriculture so he had the people harass sparrows night and day for days on end until millions of them* dropped dead from exhaustion.

Then the grasshoppers came to the smorgasbord since there were no sparrows to eat the grasshoppers. Famine ensued.

Long story short, we were terrified of China and that single-minded insanity.

* sparrows, but tbf millions of Chinese ended up dropping dead too

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Good point.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Touché

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
So anyway, I can't wait until the Navy finally blows some Iranians out of the water. That'll be fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We don't need any leadership at the National Nuclear Security Administration, right?

http://gizmodo.com/trump-just-dismissed-the-people-in-charge-of-maintainin-1790908093

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naked Bear posted:

So anyway, I can't wait until the Navy finally blows some Iranians out of the water. That'll be fun.

:same:

Praying Mantis II: Praying Mantis Harder

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There are "rules" and then there are "Rules"

Just like the military

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

I didn't even know they had gotten rid of the one-child rule.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I didn't even know they had gotten rid of the one-child rule.

Birth rates are on the decline world wide, especially in China, Japan, Russia, and the US.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

We don't need any leadership at the National Nuclear Security Administration, right?

http://gizmodo.com/trump-just-dismissed-the-people-in-charge-of-maintainin-1790908093

He really is going full on authoritarian purge isn't he? But no, everyone who was worried about the incoming administration demanding lists of names was just a pussy liberal making stuff up to complain about since they can't admit they lost. Nothing to see here. Move along.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The only thing I can think of with this Trump "dismissing every single person appointed by the previous administration the second he takes office" is that there's some idea of "THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE IN THE BUSINESS WORLD"

but it's not.

In peaceful mergers or transitions of power, the previous CEO will stick around and advise the new CEO, and often stay on the board of directors for a while. I cannot understand the rationale behind this whatsoever.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

I cannot understand the rationale behind this whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75SEy1qu71I

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I keep getting guys in my unit going "But he's really smart, he's just playing dumb"

The more his team releases these changes, the more it becomes obvious he's not smart. At all.

John Kerry also just publicly apologized, on behalf of the State Department, for the Lavender Scare: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_scare

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 9, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MA-Horus posted:

The only thing I can think of with this Trump "dismissing every single person appointed by the previous administration the second he takes office" is that there's some idea of "THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE IN THE BUSINESS WORLD"

but it's not.

In peaceful mergers or transitions of power, the previous CEO will stick around and advise the new CEO, and often stay on the board of directors for a while. I cannot understand the rationale behind this whatsoever.

Corporate raiding of the 1980s.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Corporate raiding of the 1980s.

Which is also wear trump gets his sense of style and taste.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Dominance. "I won, I'm the big man in charge." This is how it goes with strong-man dictatorships. If I didn't put you in office you don't owe me and I don't have that control over you, you're a threat. If you're not subservient and absolutely loyal to me you're a threat.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

CommieGIR posted:

I keep getting guys in my unit going "But he's really smart, he's just playing dumb"

The more his team releases these changes, the more it becomes obvious he's not smart. At all.

John Kerry also just publicly apologized, on behalf of the State Department, for the Lavender Scare: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_scare

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Birth rates are on the decline world wide, especially in China, Japan, Russia, and the US.

This is a good thing

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Lol Trump just appointed his son in law Jared Kushner to be his "special adviser."

Nothing matters anymore

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This is a good thing

Yes it is.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't Africa's population kinda exploding right now? That is about the only place probably though

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Africa's population kinda self regulates though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't Africa's population kinda exploding right now? That is about the only place probably though

Survival to adulthood is rather middle of the road chance, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Survival to adulthood is rather middle of the road chance, though.

What about the Middle East? I seem to recall Iran has a demographic time bomb situation, but I'm not sure of it also has too many incoming as a problem or just large middle age pop.

• Locked thread