Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The site specifies that they're the English language versions on each game with a Steam version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
After over a year of having Ys Origins on my Steam Account, I finally thought to play it. I think I forgot the proud Ys Tradition of easy levels, and viciously brutal bosses. :bang:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yep and Ys Origin has a pretty large boss lineup that's sure to ring a bell or 6 if you played the first two games. Overall, Origin has far fewer bullshit bosses than Napishtim and Felghana.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
origin has the best boss design in the entire series imo

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well, Ys VIII has better bosses in my opinion (I love Oceanos), but yes Origin's bosses are really good. Even the ones reused from the first two games have new unexpected twists to them. My only real complaint about Origin is that the content is stretched kind of thin for the three playable characters and while The Claw does change up some of the gameplay, it doesn't change it up enough if you've already gone through as Yunica and Hugo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thankfully they changed it in later releases so you never have to play as boring rear end Hugo ever

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah but you kind of miss out on some development between Epona and Hugo if you skip his story, or why Hugo is such a dickhead in the first place. As awesome as Yunica is, her story was kind of the most superflous to be honest. Not that it matters, as The Claw's story is the canon one. Good thing too, he's a blast to play as.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've beaten like 10 different Ys games, some multiple times, and I couldn't tell you a single thing about the narrative of any of them except that adol probably fell off a boat

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yunica's story was also the best one, so~

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://twitter.com/spice_topics/status/818654634927529984

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

I've beaten like 10 different Ys games, some multiple times, and I couldn't tell you a single thing about the narrative of any of them except that adol probably fell off a boat

the plot of ys 2 is that it's the one that got an animated adaptation where adol snuck around like solid snake and then went crazy and smashed solomon shrine to pieces in a fit of rage while lilia beat the final boss for him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy how Rean's actor looks like he's thinking "Who is this fabulous motherfucker?"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

origin has the best boss design in the entire series imo

I kinda don't like how half the bosses feel phase-driven, like how how the giant has to have his arms worn down, *then* you can do damage to the actual HP bar, and sometimes the game just says "nope" and cuts you off like the final and final final for real boss. It makes everything feel longer.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My favorite Ys fight is (spoilers?) Chester in Felghana. It's incredibly fast paced and dynamic and you can't gently caress around for a second on higher difficulties.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
And then you get him to the hp threshold and he starts cancelling out of everything and everything becomes terrible

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Origin has disco wizard so it has the best boss of any Ys game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

zoom, enhance, rotate

(Crossbell Police)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

:eyepop:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

wow I can't believe the pink haired girl is just Lloyd undercover.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So why does Cold Steel have a stage musical? Why is this a thing? Does Rean pat heads like he was playing drums?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Overbite posted:

So why does Cold Steel have a stage musical? Why is this a thing? Does Rean pat heads like he was playing drums?
Japan.

The Sakura Wars one from forever ago was pretty great.

MS must have approached Andrew Loyd Webber at least once proposing a Gear Forza or Halo musical.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

The Doomhammer posted:

Or she took both his weapons and his job! Crossbell police replaced with 17-19 year old students and their teacher.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

The Doomhammer posted:

LOL, that's what I was thinking too. Lloyd is pulling a Princess Cecilia. Hey, it worked for Joshua.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That's a really interesting detail. Why is she using weapons that Lloyd traditionally uses and belong to the Crossbell police?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Seeing that Crossbell became an Erebonian province after CS2, there's some logic to the idea that academies like Thors, which used to provide recruits for the provincial and imperial armies, as well as the RMP, also provide recruits for the law enforcement in Crossbell, which is done by police instead of the armies like in Erebonia. It also makes sense that Osborne would want the law in Crossbell enforced by people from places like Thors, rather than Crossbell natives who might be less loyal to him. (CS2 spoilers)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

lots of japanese franchises have stage musicals. stage musicals are very popular with women, easy and cheap to produce, and if it doesn't make money you never have to acknowledge it again. It's basically free advertising with the added benefit of getting eyes on your product that might not normally be interested in games/anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/aksysgames/status/819289848632619008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nice, finally.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Please be the ps4 ver

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah everything I hear about the PS4 version makes it seem like the definitive version and based on falcom talking about Ys 8 for the west they seem to know PS4 is a much more viable platform here.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
All of joyoland's ports have been greenlit on steam. Still need to go through valve, so I guess they could technically not end up on the store but it's looking more likely. Should be very interesting to see what it all ends up meaning for an english release.

If it all means nothing and fanpatches become the only answer I'll be slightly conflicted between ordering direct from falcom and going through joyoland, but guess it'd depend on how falcom advertises it? Like if they link to joyoland's steam release on their website with a note saying "only available in chinese" like they do for the english releases I'll totally favor convenience over fully supporting the original developer, same as I would for an actual english release.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Wondering if there's a way to patch the Joyoland versions with Japanese text?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'll be getting back to my PS4 tonight and will finally start CS1. Planning on Nightmare, give me tips and tricks

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Megalixir posted:

Wondering if there's a way to patch the Joyoland versions with Japanese text?

Short version: Yes

Long version: Yes but the menu text and graphical image files won't be in Japanese. So it'll require some rejiggering and image editing of those files to display in Japanese.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Terper posted:

I'll be getting back to my PS4 tonight and will finally start CS1. Planning on Nightmare, give me tips and tricks

- A couple from the top of my head:

- Talk to everyone after every plot event or after time moves on. (this is standard Trails practice)
- Every free day has exactly one hidden quest. (no more, no less)
- Every field study has exactly one hidden quest. (no more, no less, I believe)
- Always get triple-advantage on your enemies. Adjust your lead character to match the enemy's weaknesses. Fie and Machias are generally the best options because they hit from a distance and can cover multiple strike types.
- The evade stat is useful, very useful.
- Insight status is extremely useful too. Don't overlook it.
- You can stack quartz like Attack1, Attack2 and Attack3 on a character for min-maxing purposes.
- You can also stack status quartz, one status quartz per line. Most enemies and bosses can be hit with status ailments, even if they have partial resistence.
- Delay enemy turns is very useful and becomes more powerful if you're speedy.
- Enemy S-crafts one-shot your characters on higher difficulties, no ifs, thens or buts. Prepare accordingly.
- You can run by holding down the right-trigger.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Terper posted:

Whenever you first get Elliot in your party keep making and selling omelettes until you have enough money to stock up on healing items. Beyond that, money should be fine so long as you only upgrade the 4 main party members you'll be using during each section. The hardest part of the game will be the beginning as it'll get progressively easier as you gain access to more resources since enemies just can't keep up with them. For instance, by the end your characters will have more speed than any boss even on nightmare, bosses rarely if ever use buffs and in CS1 I think all of none of them use damage immunity type stuff.

Oh, also, be sure to save whatever of the free shining pom DLC is still up for the very end of the game. On Nightmare the very final boss is sort of a level check, as below a certain level RNG will almost certainly see you dead instead of might see you dead.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Terper posted:

As well as what everyone else has already told you, don't be afraid to sell some Sepith if you need extra Mira, especially after you have everyones slots open. You get plenty of Sepith fairly quickly, so there's no need to be stingy with it. But by the same token, don't spend all your money on equipment, sometimes some of your characters will have to use older stuff so you can have Mira for other things you might need, like ingredients so you can make plenty of food that you might need. And once you have plenty of recipes, don't bother wasting money on healing items, they're too pricey, and the food will generally be better at it's job, while giving you buffs.

Also, managing your equipment is VERY important in this game, lots of bosses have nasty status effects, and if you start spending too much time trying to manage them, it's easy to lose control of the battlefield and have bosses destroy you, so try to always have accessories and the like to prevent every conceivable status ailment, and enough of it to go around for the whole party. And finally, don't really bother customizing your weapons until near the end of the game, the cost isn't bad at first, but they quickly start costing lots of U-Material and you'll want to save it all until the end, where you won't be replacing your weapons by the start of the next chapter most of the time.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Terper posted:

Only things I can think of to add to the current advice.

If you end up missing a book chapter, or a really good item from a treasure chest, you don't have to worry about it. Because there is a pawn shop that can actually get them in stock if you miss them, although you might need to spend some time exiting and re-entering the building for them to show up.

Also in some shops you'll see items that say they're part of a set, you should buy one copy them if your able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Getting through the schoolhouse and I enjoy that the theme of the game seems to be "Machias gets dunked on, repeatedly".