Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
gently caress occultists. I mean they are OK but as your only healer they are way too unreliable, it's why I had like 6 vestals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

CongoJack posted:

gently caress occultists. I mean they are OK but as your only healer they are way too unreliable, it's why I had like 6 vestals.

You have to build your group around them being unreliable, so dudes with self heals or an arbalest helps out. It sucks to not have that vestal reliability, but the counter is you aren't totally attached to every party having a vestal, which is really irritating to deal with.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

Sloober posted:

You have to build your group around them being unreliable, so dudes with self heals or an arbalest helps out. It sucks to not have that vestal reliability, but the counter is you aren't totally attached to every party having a vestal, which is really irritating to deal with.

That is precisely how I just lost my Arbalest.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Sloober posted:

Every character that is healing is a character that is not KILLING THE PROBLEM. Spending a turn doing a self heal to keep from dying is just snowballing your inevitable TPK more. Especially if enemies have an AOE that damages or stresses multiple characters (or both!)

The unreliability of Occultists is debilitating. Believe me, if I could have five Vestals I would but they're just not coming on the wagon.

I'm very unlucky.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You only need to heal 1 HP to get someone off of Death's Door which is more likely than not to occur. Plus the Occultists can heal for an insane amount which can get you out of a pinch and can do so without any +healing trinkets. They don't have the group heal but they make up for it by being surprisingly good back rank attackers. Definitely prefer them over the Vestals but both have their place.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Genocyber posted:

You only need to heal 1 HP to get someone off of Death's Door which is more likely than not to occur. Plus the Occultists can heal for an insane amount which can get you out of a pinch and can do so without any +healing trinkets. They don't have the group heal but they make up for it by being surprisingly good back rank attackers. Definitely prefer them over the Vestals but both have their place.

while occultists don't need trinkets to get craptons of healing, it's still good to give them at least one, since the higher his top healing is, the lower the chance of getting dreaded 0-3 heal + bleed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Halser posted:

while occultists don't need trinkets to get craptons of healing, it's still good to give them at least one, since the higher his top healing is, the lower the chance of getting dreaded 0-3 heal + bleed.

I've hard this sentiment before and I'm wondering if this is actually true. Like, are people just assuming this or have they actually dug into the game's code to find out? Cause I'd figure it would roll using the normal range then apply any healing modifiers, as opposed to the inverse.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jenner posted:

Every character that is healing is a character that is not KILLING THE PROBLEM. Spending a turn doing a self heal to keep from dying is just snowballing your inevitable TPK more. Especially if enemies have an AOE that damages or stresses multiple characters (or both!)

The unreliability of Occultists is debilitating. Believe me, if I could have five Vestals I would but they're just not coming on the wagon.

I'm very unlucky.

I have had runs where I got no heals for 14 weeks. Not even occultists to heal 0 and crit bleed me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Occultist and Arbalest are BFFs and no-one will convince me otherwise.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Night10194 posted:

It kinda annoys me how bandages from the pack stop bleeding, but not bandages from the Arbalest.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Genocyber posted:

I've hard this sentiment before and I'm wondering if this is actually true. Like, are people just assuming this or have they actually dug into the game's code to find out? Cause I'd figure it would roll using the normal range then apply any healing modifiers, as opposed to the inverse.

I'm not someone who's dug through game code, but to me any non-silly system will genuinely lower the chance of a 0.

Standard heal is 0-12. Silly system: The game rolls for a random integer in that range, then applies the % healing buff to the result. A zero result stays zero. This is silly because even if the range becomes 0-18 or something, you still only have 13 values in the results table so, depending on how rounding happens, there will be integers between 0 and 18 that will never occur.
Less silly system: The game rolls for a random float in that range, then applies % buff, then rounds. In this system, the buff will help because suddenly a roll of 0.4 will be buffed to >0.5 so if the game rounds to nearest integer this will turn a zero into a non-zero. This also works if the game uses a different rounding method. Let's say the game always rounds down, a roll of 0.8 or 0.9 will end up >1.0 post-buff, again becoming non-zero.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Night10194 posted:

Counter point: Occultist and Plague Doctor w/ Battlefield Medicine. Cures bleed (and blight), can be used from the same positions as the Arbalest's Battlefield Bandage, and has no restrictions on who it can be used on. The only downside is that it only heals 1 point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Occultist can have many friends.

He is a cool guy.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
This is true.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Occultist can have many friends.

He is a cool guy.

Does he have many cheeses?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

double nine posted:

Does he have many cheeses?

He's bigger than cheeses.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 40: Lambs to the Slaughter

I decide to have a little fun today, both in the recording and the editing where I try to be a big video editor man.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Which achievements did you end up getting?

Sjonkel fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 6, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK, the new cultists are incredibly unsettling.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Darkest Dungeon combat theme is goddamn awesome.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

The Darkest Dungeon combat theme is goddamn awesome.

it's my second favorite combat theme in the game.

edit: okay, where's the static images from? There was a cthuhlu-esque image, something resembling the Flesh, and some other images that may or may not be background images from darkest dungeon

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 6, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

What are you talking about. Sounds like you've got some sort of bug. They were new attacks, sure, but it's just animations.

This all could have been avoided if they'd just given the dog a bone.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Holy crap the darkest dungeon is metal looking. :stare:

A cool little detail I noticed: All the brawlers you fight through the rest of the dungeon care called Cultist Brawlers, and they attack with Rend for the Old Gods. But the guys in the Darkest Dungeon itself are called Ascended Brawlers, and their attack is called Rend for the New God.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Jenner posted:

Heal when you've got the enemy down to 1-2 guys. Starting a fight in good health means you can focus on damage and not emergency heals. Remember that you get two full turns AFTER the first turn that you're down to one enemy; if you have a lot of characters who can heal you can use that to recover.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I guess that works if you have at least 3 characters capable of healing? I think most enemies will outpace your healing turn for turn.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

I guess that works if you have at least 3 characters capable of healing? I think most enemies will outpace your healing turn for turn.

When it's 4v4, absolutely. When they're down to 2, the action economy tilts in your favor and stun + regen really starts to work well. Having off-healers is good not because you're going to be damage racing the enemy but because you can use them at the end of battles.

Even just knowing how to take advantage of the free turns on the last enemy can mean the difference between a comfortable run and slow attrition.

Hermetian fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 7, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, what achievements did you get?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Sjonkel posted:

Which achievements did you end up getting?

Shei-kun posted:

So, what achievements did you get?
I can't believe my viewers are concerned with cheevos over the lives of four heroes!

Lambs to the Slaughter (full lvl 0 team to the Darkest Dungeon), No Retreat No Quarter (First full-party wipe), Valiant Sacrifice (Party wipe in the Darkest Dungeon)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

pretty sure killing a bunch of dudes in their sleep is not Lawful Evil.

Neutral Evil, on the other hand...

You're going to sit there and tell me that William "B.J." Blazkowicz is in any way Evil? I spit on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjK4xOSUOk

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RareAcumen posted:

You're going to sit there and tell me that William "B.J." Blazkowicz is in any way Evil? I spit on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjK4xOSUOk

He said people, not Nazis.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
While I didn't technically buy this game for the thread (I bought it right after the Giant Bomb quicklook), I bounced off it initially and didn't start playing it for real until this thread. So thanks Highwang!

I just had a fun fight vs. Veteran Swine King, wherein I foolishly used Duelist's Advanced...And then immediately riposted poor Wilbur to death when the king still had about 40 health. After the first complete obliteration, only my Highwayman (fitting since he got us into this mess) wasn't stunned or near death, resulting in a 57 damage Point Blank Shot :black101:

I was fully expecting this game to punish me for making such an awful mistake, but instead I got rewarded handsomely :) Love this game and the thread, keep it up!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 41: The Swinetar Cometh

After a long-rear end wait, the LP finally catches up to the PS4 update content. We don't really see much of it now, mainly centered around QoL and minor HUD updates, however the next two episodes will feature the primary parts of the update. We also get new recruits!

Also, I don't know if I"m overreacting in the vid: Is the story of "Casey at the Bat" a common story? Its something I remember from when I was like 5, so I'm stunned that Chitlin is completely unaware of it.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 9, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 41: The Swinetar Cometh

After a long-rear end wait, the LP finally catches up to the PS4 update content. We don't really see much of it now, mainly centered around QoL and minor HUD updates, however the next two episodes will feature the primary parts of the update.

Also, I don't know if I"m overreacting in the vid: Is the story of "Casey at the Bat" a common story? Its something I remember from when I was like 5, so I'm stunned that Chitlin is completely unaware of it.
It's a pretty common story, yeah, to the point of being parodied/given homage in a lot of TV shows and such

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

There should be a cheevo for getting that many portraits in a single run.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

There should be a cheevo for getting that many portraits in a single run.

There's an achievement for getting 30 heirlooms, but not one specifically for portraits.

I started up a game, no idea how much further I'll get into it. I'm on week 6 and I've lost a highwayman, leper, and hellion to various things. Oddly enough, the run I had with no healer due to stress and lack of stagecoach help didn't have any issues.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

dscruffy1 posted:

There's an achievement for getting 30 heirlooms, but not one specifically for portraits.

I started up a game, no idea how much further I'll get into it. I'm on week 6 and I've lost a highwayman, leper, and hellion to various things. Oddly enough, the run I had with no healer due to stress and lack of stagecoach help didn't have any issues.

Healers aren't a requirement for a party comp on short dungeon runs. If you a good mix of damage and stun/movement etc. with your team, you can mitigate incoming damage enough to get through. I'd rather bring Grave Robber chucking daggers in the back row over a Vestal in the first few weeks anyway.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I feel obliged to point out that Highwang both hoards food and wastes it by not feeding injured minions on the looting screen.

And didn't take gold at one point presumably from misreading 1050 as 1500.

Fun editing though. Someday I'll get back into DD... just as soon as I decide whether to be a man or a mouse to a town event.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 10, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are there any quirks that modify the interactions with the items around the dungeons?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

White Coke posted:

Are there any quirks that modify the interactions with the items around the dungeons?

A bunch of quirks will make characters interact with items without your input, but I don't think there are any that will straight up change the outcome of interacting with a curio.

Also, while I also had never heard of Casey At The Bat, wiki says it's one of the most famous American poems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

You mention in the video that the Town Event (Caregiver's Convention) that gives you free disease heals at the Sanitarium is unpredictable, but it's actually triggered by completing gathering quests in the Weald. In fact unless there's a particular trinket you really need, it is incredibly cost effective to always take those Weald quests whenever you can because it makes ALL slots at the Sanitarium cost nothing to use that week, allowing you to fix and lock quirks for free in the Treatment Ward, in addition to free disease heals in the Medical Ward which is kind of a minor benefit in comparison. Its arguably the best event in the game as you can potentially save 30,000+ gold per event with a maxed out Sanitarium with three characters each removing a bad quirk while locking in a good quirk, which helps you save your money for skills and gear upgrades instead.

• Locked thread