Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is my favorite explanation for a card getting banned ever:

WotC posted:

Simply put, Smuggler's Copter is too efficient and shows up in too many decks, diminishing the format's diversity. We want Planeswalkers, sorcery-speed removal, and a variety of vehicles to be viable options, and believe removing Smuggler's Copter will allow them to flourish again.

Or, you could, I don't know, make better cards in all those aspects.

Copter is dead. Time to move to the other elephant in the room:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I'm a little iffy about them banning roflcopter, but I do agree with Emrakul and Reflector Mage. Emrakul is just so far beyond powerful that there's really no other choice. Reflector Mage was a carry over from reverting to the old rotation schedule. I honestly wouldn't have had the full turn cool down on recasting though.

This should make deckbuilding more interesting though.

Don't worry we still have a vigilant version that doesn't even need creatures to activate.

FYI reflector mage was really oppressive in the saheeli combo deck. You could bounce one or even two things a turn basically forever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I just bought Probes :negative:

...:v:

Also, Reflector Mage???

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
This kind of move screams that they're flailing about declining standard numbers and are just throwing poo poo at the wall at this point.

Why the hell would you ban the copter and reflector mage when poo poo like siege rhino and grey merchant and pack rat dominated standards just as much?

because Wizards is legit terrified of their tanking standard numbers

Well it sure was nice of them to wipe out aggressive decks, the rival combo deck, and the most disruptive controlmidrange deck before splinter cat had to compete with them.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Well it wasn't catban but I'm thrilled, party at my house tonight.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

What did reflector mage ever do? I mean it's good in the fringe deck Panharmonicon?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fish Of Doom posted:

What did reflector mage ever do? I mean it's good in the fringe deck Panharmonicon?

It snapped creature centric decks in half.

...Off Collected Company.

I don't know it's doing in this standard.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Huey said on Twitter they found a deck that abused Reflector Mage, so they must have been talking with some pros.

it was probably just a build of the saheeli twin deck, that deck realllly wanted reflector mage and this is a preemptive way to hit it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Modern just got better. That is for loving sure.

STandard is far from being unfucked though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

A big flaming stink posted:

This kind of move screams that they're flailing about declining standard numbers and are just throwing poo poo at the wall at this point.

Why the hell would you ban the copter and reflector mage when poo poo like siege rhino and grey merchant and pack rat dominated standards just as much?

Well it sure was nice of them to wipe out aggressive decks, the rival combo deck, and the most disruptive controlmidrange deck before splinter cat had to compete with them.

Siege Rhino went in one deck (2 if you want distinguish between versions of Abzan). Copter was in everything that didn't play Emrakul.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GonSmithe posted:

Huey said on Twitter they found a deck that abused Reflector Mage, so they must have been talking with some pros.

These bans are nuts though. Standard bans are always a "wow we really hosed up" kind of situation and it's always interesting.

Flickering it with the cat in Twin maybe?

Edit: Yeah like everyone else said.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I mean if WoTC just printed answered instead of threats this would have been avoided. Standard is Creatures: The Gathering now while we continually hear things like "lightning bolt and counterspell are too good"

Get good at set design Wizards

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
"Our design and development teams are terrible at creating sets that foster a good standard environment despite a wealth of information on how to do so, and so we will instead use frequent and heavy handed ban and restriction decisions to try and make the game playable."

I can feel that MTG Finance bubble getting ready to burst.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
These are all great changes and have a good chance at making Standard playable again. Emrakul was obvious, Copter is way too good, and Reflector Mage is too good for tempo decks. I don't play or watch Modern enough to care about those bans, but it seems like forcing Infect to play fair is a good thing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Siege Rhino went in one deck (2 if you want distinguish between versions of Abzan). Copter was in everything that didn't play Emrakul.

Thragtusk, then.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Copter is dead. Time to move to the other elephant in the room:

This reminds me of a top 10 cards in Invasion article that prefaced nearly all of them with "it costs 1 more but".

And nearly all of them were bad cards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mage isn't even all that oppressive now.. LOL.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Also condolences to my LGS buddy who loudly bragged about the Preordain playset he picked up ahead of its imminent unbanning.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I really enjoy playing games with Looter Scooter and I'm sad that they had to kill it but it legitimately was way too good.

I'm baffled by Reflector Mage

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I 100% agree with this. Remember they also did the Standard Showdown(lol) thing and changed the rotation? There's some serious flailing going on here.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

am i reading a dude saying siege rhino wasnt oppressive

also good job wotc on loving up with your six month rotation plan then loving up with your other plans for standard and not knowing what problems to fix or how to fix them

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Copy Cat lives!!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
We're 4/4 on artifact-themed sets and standard bans now btw.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm telling you guys that with revolt reflector mage is (or would have been I guess) oppressive.

e: I can see them being unsure of the power level of vehicles just like equipment where we got jitte and skullclamp early on. I just wish they were better at their jobs I guess.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm telling you guys that with revolt reflector mage is (or would have been I guess) oppressive.

Reflector Mage can't target your own things?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Also, all the more reason to not bother buying back into standard. Heavy handed bannings that will now happen twice as often do not make me want to put money into a good deck.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We're 4/4 on artifact-themed sets and standard bans now btw.

:coolbert:

E: Coolbert is gone? Guess coolfish will work.

:coolfish:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

BJPaskoff posted:

These are all great changes and have a good chance at making Standard playable again. Emrakul was obvious, Copter is way too good, and Reflector Mage is too good for tempo decks. I don't play or watch Modern enough to care about those bans, but it seems like forcing Infect to play fair is a good thing.

I have Cat Lady sleeved up and ready to go. Can't wait for my cats to come in.

Now what to replace reflector mage with.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Modern just got better. That is for loving sure.

:hfive:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

They also forgot to ban Probe in older formats.

Also cheap Smuggler's Copters, here I come!

Edit: I'm pretty sure banning GGT doesn't even do much to Dredge. They just play more Thugs, dredge a little less and still do way too much for so little.

Quoting for truth. How long are you going to wait to buy? I'm gonna give it 72 hours.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thragtusk, then.

I didn't play at that time, but I'm guessing they decided to ban the borderline stuff because they were already passing the Rubicon (Emmy absolutely needed to go).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Also, all the more reason to not bother buying back into standard. Heavy handed bannings that will now happen twice as often do not make me want to put money into a good deck.

standard: not fun, but also not cheap
wotc: we've tried a lot to figure out why people aren't willing to spend more money to play with cards they dont like, but we've settled on buying guns and threatening players with death

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I guess they think that without Emrakul in the format than WU Flash would be too good. They are probably right.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
DEATH POOL TIME!!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Look I can understand banning mage to preemptively weaken the Copy Cat deck, but Copter was one of the few things that could threaten the opponent's Saheeli if they curved Inspector into two drop into just running the Saheeli out turn three. I don't understand leaving actual Twin combo in standard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

am i reading a dude saying siege rhino wasnt oppressive

Yeah I think so. Too good, but not oppressive.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you really don't understand why they don't want to ban out the combo that sells more mythics

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Smashing Link posted:

Quoting for truth. How long are you going to wait to buy? I'm gonna give it 72 hours.

A while. It's probably going to take a few days for them to come down and I want mine in Russian which are going to take even longer because the people on ebay and TCGPlayer are idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

you really don't understand why they don't want to ban out the combo that sells more mythics

To be fair they banned a pretty popular mythic just now.

• Locked thread