Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Definitely worse than the Zeugl in Vizima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Geralt keeps mentioning that time he killed a Zergul while up to his waist in sewage, he's really weirdly proud of his gross job.

Wanna see that episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That baby was a vicious botchling, you gibbering nincompoop. Now hand over the 123 pieces of gold that we painstakingly haggled over before I whirl and rend you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dr Cheeto posted:

Geralt keeps mentioning that time he killed a Zergul while up to his waist in sewage, he's really weirdly proud of his gross job.

Wanna see that episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.

It's CDPR's goto reference to "hey the first game happened, guys" since not much else from it really comes up other than the opening cutscene.

Allegory of the Rave
Dec 4, 2009
I've recently loaded this back up after over a year of not touching it. I've noticed that I don't see any item tooltips on items that I loot in the loot window. Is this is a toggle I've missed somewhere? It's really annoying.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Fuzz posted:

It's CDPR's goto reference to "hey the first game happened, guys" since not much else from it really comes up other than the opening cutscene.

In a different vein, theres a couple of quest lines that you feel would have lead to a sex scene had they been in the first game ( thinking of the fencing lessons, plus the random street girl you can 'save' from thugs in Oxenfurt ), but don't here. I always felt those were partly the writers saying "Yeah, we've grown up since then".

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

In a different vein, theres a couple of quest lines that you feel would have lead to a sex scene had they been in the first game ( thinking of the fencing lessons, plus the random street girl you can 'save' from thugs in Oxenfurt ), but don't here. I always felt those were partly the writers saying "Yeah, we've grown up since then".

Yeah, seriously. It also seriously undermines the narrative with Yen in this one, since Geralt himself is supposed to be older and more mature now, with his memories back intact.

Honestly, the whole card thing in the first one was probably a good idea. They were taking a weird foreign IP with a really old engine (albeit a great graphics engine for the time) and weird gameplay and presenting a really strange and lore-heavy world out of left field as a fresh company that no one knew what to expect from, plus the game was stuck in dev-hell for several years and even had a complete rebuild from initial design like 2 years in which is usually a TERRIBLE sign in this industry.

Throwing in some random boobs as not only fan service but also generating a little bit of controversy with it actually drew attention to the game and made people try it out. While it was childish and silly, a whole bunch of people ended up with the argument of, "well, it was silly and unnecessary but underneath it there was actually a really drat deep and cool game there, plus a lot of cool characters and a world whose lore I'm now kinda interested in..." The handful of choices that changed the world outcome also helped because it slapped you in the face with morally grey decisions instead of the up-until-then-standard Bioware "be a saint/murder and eat babies" dichotomy.

Without that initial spike of interest with a relatively conservative (in terms of narrative) story, people wouldn't have bothered with Witcher 2 and more people would have complained about the deep politics of a world they barely know about or fully understood, getting assaulted with a bunch of kingdoms and confusing names out of nowhere. That in turn setup the landscape for Witcher 3 which is the real story CDPR always wanted to tell - the true capstone to the storyline of the characters from the books.

It was a brilliant strategy on CDPR's part, and I'm sure some of it wasn't entirely intentional and this wasn't necessarily some grand master plan scheme of theirs, but it ended up working out that way and god bless 'em for it because a whole shitload of people (myself included) now have the world of the Witcher on their radar and CDPR is now a powerhouse for making reliably high quality games with great storylines.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Witcher 2 question, but that thread is pretty dead so:

I've finally gotten around to playing this game. It's great and all, but for some reason it deleted not one, but at least two of my saves when I died so I lost about an hour of progress. Is this a known bug or whatever? I don't want to keep playing it if I'm risking periodically losing progress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The only issue I remember with Witcher 2 saves was that it didn't overwrite autosaves, so you could easily end up with GBs worth of autosaves eating up memory. I don't recall it ever deleting saves itself though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We should probably just make a general Witcher Megathread.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Red Crown posted:

Witcher 2 question, but that thread is pretty dead so:

I've finally gotten around to playing this game. It's great and all, but for some reason it deleted not one, but at least two of my saves when I died so I lost about an hour of progress. Is this a known bug or whatever? I don't want to keep playing it if I'm risking periodically losing progress.

Be sure you disable your cloud saves syncing option.

quote:

1/ Disable steam cloud (if you cant launch your game to disable steam cloud, cut your internet access)

2/ Search in STEAM folder for :

\Steam\userdata\xxxxxx\20920\remote

Where xxxx should be the identical number indicates your steam account.
20920 should be Witcher 2 steam ID code.

3/ Inside remote folder there are save files.

4/ Move most of your old save files to a backup folder. (keep the newest save files as it should be your recent play)

5/ Game should load normally.
You could also edit the witcher 2 user .ini to disable cluodstorage, but the ini probably gets overwritten every now and again.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 8, 2017

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Fuzz posted:

*snip*

I think that's giving them rather too much credit there, I don't sense much of a strategy to the content in W1 beyond "put boobs in to get us noticed". Certainly turned out to be good marketing - and let's not forget that Bioware had recently pulled the exact same trick with Mass Effect - but while I'm pleased it worked out for them I'm even more pleased they've grown out of that phase now.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah there's definitely no TnA in the Witcher 3

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DoctorTristan posted:

iirc all the writing staff from Witcher 1 is gone

edit: read back a bit through the posts of that guy from CDPR who posts here and I misremembered, oops

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 8, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm still really enjoying this. I'm probably about halfway through Novigrad's Chapter 1 story and have done most of the sidequests. I'm almost level 20, at which point I'll probably do some hunts in Velen. Currently garbed up in the basic cat gear. Gwent is really fun and I enjoy dropping spies and decoying the enemy spies left and right. I wish they had spent literally every second they spent making the weird uncanny valley sex scenes on more Gwent. I still have a fuckton of question marks to look after in Velen/Novigrad, which I'll probably try to attempt before jogging off to Skellige and cleaning up there.

Will there be a time when the game sends me to Khaer Morhen naturally? Right now I feel like I want to wait until the end of Chapter 1, once I've explored all of Skellige.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Without spoiling anything, yes.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is there any decent behind-the-scenes stuff about CDPR and these games? I've only come across some really barebones stuff on Youtube.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Drifter posted:

Be sure you disable your cloud saves syncing option.

You could also edit the witcher 2 user .ini to disable cluodstorage, but the ini probably gets overwritten every now and again.

Thanks - as it turns out, I think it had to do with my clock not auto-updating after a power outage. The timestamps on my saves would have been from the future from the game's perspective, setting the clock correctly fixed it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Will there be a time when the game sends me to Khaer Morhen naturally? Right now I feel like I want to wait until the end of Chapter 1, once I've explored all of Skellige.

Yes, minor spoiler but you won't have access to Kaer Morhen until you advance the main plot past a certain point. You also aren't forced to go there immediately.

So you can do basically all of the side quests in the base game before you go to KM, if you want, and you can always go to KM and then come back. There are only a couple points in the game where you won't be able to travel anywhere and do whatever you want. No timers, only a few quests can be failed and the game warns you explicitly about the point of no return.

Honestly you should just visit KM when it first opens up, there's an extended and fantastic sequence with your witcher bros when you arrive and it's one of the high points of the game. Then you can leave and go right back to Skellige or whatever.

Edit: that's one of my favorite things about the game, it's does open world very well and there are very few instances where you'll fail a quest or miss out on something. Just go do whatever you feel like, don't worry too much about itemization and ability setup, everything is viable and fun. It's good to mix up the different zones imo, do some Novigrad and then some Skellige/Velen or whatever.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 9, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DoctorTristan posted:

I honestly though that was were it was going. If not the woman you're teaching but one of her sisters. But nope, no sex. Actually I think there's only like 3 sex scenes in the base game? Kiera, and Triss/Yen depending on what romance option you choose. There's boobs, but those are in the bath house scenes. I think that's all.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
There's also the skillege shieldmaiden and the Nilfgardian spy during the gwent tournament.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It's me again posting about Witcher 2 and 3. I can't decide if I want to finish Blood and Wine(still have probably 3/4 left. I finished up the quest to get the mutation abilities, I forgot what it's called) and did a few side quests, enough main quest to trigger the ability quest thingy) or start Witcher 2 right now. Generally since it's just the last DLC it would make sense to go ahead and finish it off, but I heard it's a good finisher for Geralt's story, so perhaps I can just come back to it last? I've already been taking a break from it for a while, so it's not like I would suddenly stop playing it.

I'm frozen with indecision, so just decide for me goons.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Go play 2 once, then B&W, then play 2 again and take the other path.

I just got to that scene in Kaer Morhen you guys were talking about.

:3:

It's a travesty Lambert and Eskel weren't used more in the other games.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

OatBoy posted:

There's also the skillege shieldmaiden and the Nilfgardian spy during the gwent tournament.

The former is even in the gwent standalone game, but is passed over for other cards. :(

Speaking of gwent

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It's me again posting about Witcher 2 and 3. I can't decide if I want to finish Blood and Wine(still have probably 3/4 left. I finished up the quest to get the mutation abilities, I forgot what it's called) and did a few side quests, enough main quest to trigger the ability quest thingy) or start Witcher 2 right now. Generally since it's just the last DLC it would make sense to go ahead and finish it off, but I heard it's a good finisher for Geralt's story, so perhaps I can just come back to it last? I've already been taking a break from it for a while, so it's not like I would suddenly stop playing it.

I'm frozen with indecision, so just decide for me goons.

W2 is a more linear story that splits drastically, if you want to fully experience it, that might be 30 hours with different combat mechanics. It's probably best to do it in one go before returning to B&W.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Okay so I started reading the books after finishing Blood and Wine and I have to say, I was actually kinda shocked that Zolton doesn't come in until book 5, that kinda threw me for a loop considering he's such a big part of the games, particularly 2.

But yeah, been enjoying the books, mostly reading them during lunch breaks or waiting in lines, so it's been slow going but I've made steady progress. Accidentally read book 2 before book 1, but they're both collections of short stories so that doesn't matter too much. Book 3 is like, all setup, all of it, setup, for all the poo poo that goes down in book 4, and now in book 5 everything is burning and it reminds me a lot of how Witcher 3 felt, at least in the early parts of this book compared to the early parts of Witcher 3 where you're surrounded by death and war everywhere.

That said, it's kinda awkward reading the books now, like watching Return of the Jedi before A New Hope, there's just things that have happened that even though you didn't see it happen before, the new stuff fills you in, and now when you go back the twists are just plot points and now you know when they happened along with how.

It's not really killing my enjoyment of the books too much, but again, I'm expecting Zolton to show up at some point because I already know he's important.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Ciri plays Gwent, murders and robs her opponents and Geralt turns into Santa?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I just realized there are some comics in the Witcher 3 folders..

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Ciri plays Gwent, murders and robs her opponents and Geralt turns into Santa?

In the same vein as Kazuma Kiryu, Ciri beats common sense and respect into people who don't realise they're playing with fire and about to get burnt.

I AM BRAWW posted:

I just realized there are some comics in the Witcher 3 folders..

I never liked the comic cutscenes in W2 and I don't like comics in general, if you really like the witcher universe then by all means.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 9, 2017

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

The books are very good and will make you appreciate the games so much more. Certain scenes in W3 almost had me in tears because I had real context of who characters were and what they meant to Geralt instead of just codex entries.

Can you give any examples?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One thing I will happy about when leaving Novigrad is not having to figure out where the staircase is to go up or down toward a quest marker, because it is the thing I am definitely the most laughably incompetent at in this entire game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

One thing I will happy about when leaving Novigrad is not having to figure out where the staircase is to go up or down toward a quest marker, because it is the thing I am definitely the most laughably incompetent at in this entire game.

Get the Friendly UI and turn on the 3D markers. SO much easier.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

OatBoy posted:

What is with Geralt and Nilfgaardian spies?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SirSamVimes posted:

What is with Geralt and Nilfgaardian spies?

Dat vaguely ethnic rear end!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've gotta admit that in hindsight I'd have enjoyed the games even more if I had read the books before playing Witcher 3. The writing is engrossing enough as it is and with greater depth on references (like that zeugl that Geralt keeps mentioning) makes you appreciate each line that much more. The way CDPR put their own touches here and there while balancing the precedents of Sapkowski in the game is what seems to have been the right formula for success.

Spikeguy posted:

Can you give any examples?
Several characters in Blood and Wine are from the books. The scar on Ciri's cheek is explained, for starters. The weight of running for half her life through even worse situations than the games is made more acute. The relationship between Emhyr and Geralt and Yennefer is also far different if you read the books (I will never bow correctly for him since yet somewhat can't help but slightly feel bad for him in the popular game ending now). There's also something more with characters like Fringilla. Outside Geralt's immediate circle the relationship between Philippa and Djikstra is really crazy, and you'll see stuff around Kaer Morhen that references the books. You'll know what happened with his leg and why Geralt really does not trust him no matter what. Your relationship with the druids of Skellige and how that happens makes a bit more sense as well. And every other quest you'll find is a direct analog to a story from the books adapted for the game but capturing the message and narrative. Oh, and you'll see how amazingly faithful CDPR stuck to the source while creating their own characters and stories - the popular characters by game fans turn out to be a strong mix of Sapkowski characters and CDPR originals. The general effect is that the world will seem even richer for all the references and continuity weaving undertaken. Reading the books will almost assuredly put you on the canonical path to marrying Yennefer.

There's gazillions of references to book events and characters that will only help immersion if you read through them, although if you super sperg it all you'll start to see a couple cracks of course.

It's also asinine to strongly recommend reading the books before playing. But if you really like any of the games' stories beyond Act 1 ish I think it's not terrible to stop then and binge read the books and hopefully get Sapkowski a little more cash (although I suspect he's getting none now given how salty he is).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I read the books and still went Triss

:shrug:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, but you're weird.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Hey guys what's the name of the mod that allows you to insta cast signs with a controller?theres a couple of them in nexus and some of them seem way too complicated.

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
Best order to read the books in?
I've only read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves thus far and Amazon doesn't seem to give them any particular order.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Read them in publication order.

The Last Wish, The Sword of Destiny, The Time of Contempt, The Blood of the Elves, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of Swallows, Lady of the Lake and, if you really want to go all-in, you can read Season of Storms too, which is a much more recently published short stories collection that received mixed critiques and was probably only published because the author realized the games were mad popular and wanted to bank on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

El Grillo posted:

Is there any decent behind-the-scenes stuff about CDPR and these games? I've only come across some really barebones stuff on Youtube.
There are 2 great videos made by one of the devs who worked on Witcher 1 and 2. They're mostly about Witcher 1's humble beginnings (first demos at E3 etc.) but I felt they're really loving great just for showing off CDPR's thought process + tons of trivia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMmFiQp3Q_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBWlnL6Tr6k