Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Stymie posted:

or you can tolerate working for bofa deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*makes financial software gesture*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

*makes financial software gesture*

flipping off the screen? or the universal gesture for "make it rain?"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i got a phone interview tomorrow im excited about doing golang stuff for a recently ipo'd company which sounds like a good middle ground between corporate and startup but maybe it's bad for some reason

nope. i think it was glassdoor or someone like that but they did a survey and found that generally the sweet spot for happiness & compensation & all the rest is generally at the mid-size company level. small enough so that you don't disappear into corporate ennui but big enough that they actually make money and the life of the company won't be in your hands on a daily basis

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

flipping off the screen? or the universal gesture for "make it rain?"

first one (the platform is fifteen years old) then the other (but we need to keep developing for it)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

arent you a pharmicist? in the us pharmacists can make six figgies just riding the counter at any walgreens and there's not nearly enough pharmacists to cover demand. how are you job hopping this much? is zealand novo really that different?

locums is medical speak for "contract work in the middle of nowhere for $$$$"

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

are there any u.s. cities with a lot of tech jobs besides SF/NY/LA/Seattle/ATX
i've heard boston, but the various boston posters in this thread can probably speak to that more accurately

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Maximo Roboto posted:

are there any u.s. cities with a lot of tech jobs besides SF/NY/LA/Seattle/ATX

Chicago has a healthy startup scene and a large fintech/healthtech base if that's your thing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

boston has buttloads of biotech, mostly pharma. there's your usual smattering of startup software crap too. we've got a google office, a facebook, a microsoft, a couple different amazons, a twitter, a fitbit. we got our own not-uber. we got draftkings

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

or just work remotely and live wherever you want and work wherever you want :shrug:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Rex-Goliath posted:

nope. i think it was glassdoor or someone like that but they did a survey and found that generally the sweet spot for happiness & compensation & all the rest is generally at the mid-size company level. small enough so that you don't disappear into corporate ennui but big enough that they actually make money and the life of the company won't be in your hands on a daily basis

mid-size companies are great, especially if they aren't household names and their industry is just "necessary business poo poo" rather than something inherently exciting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

arent you a pharmicist? in the us pharmacists can make six figgies just riding the counter at any walgreens and there's not nearly enough pharmacists to cover demand. how are you job hopping this much? is zealand novo really that different?

not the same over here unfortch.. money's good but not fantastic and job market currently average ....

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Rex-Goliath posted:

the sweet spot for happiness & compensation & all the rest is generally at the mid-size company level. small enough so that you don't disappear into corporate ennui but big enough that they actually make money and the life of the company won't be in your hands on a daily basis

mega :agreed:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

mid-size companies are great, especially if they aren't household names and their industry is just "necessary business poo poo" rather than something inherently exciting

:yeah: i really just want to work on mediocre business poo poo!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Wouldn't you rather be pulling all nighter crunches working for doober ( uber for dogs) in return for sweet sweet worthless equity

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

jre posted:

Wouldn't you rather be pulling all nighter crunches working for doober ( uber for dogs) in return for sweet sweet worthless equity

this is what yospos actually thinks startups are like

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

mediocre business poo poo pays good, has actual longterm sustainability, and won't pay you entirely in fake stock. it's not glamourous but it'll let you live nice when you retire.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just want to live god drat it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

boston has buttloads of biotech, mostly pharma. there's your usual smattering of startup software crap too. we've got a google office, a facebook, a microsoft, a couple different amazons, a twitter, a fitbit. we got our own not-uber. we got draftkings

quotin'

it also has tons of academia, which is a good source of tech jobs in a massively different work environment

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

echinopsis posted:

same, but the opposite

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

this is what yospos actually thinks startups are like

the least realistic part of HBO's Silicon Valley is that the startup has a breakthrough technology

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i wouldn't even put atx on that list

(and seattle isn't so much "a lot of tech jobs" as "amazon and microsoft.")

IDK about Seattle but Austin has offices for:

Dell, IBM, NXP, Apple, Intel, Samsung, Blizzard, National Instruments, Flextronics, Applied Materials, AMD, Amazon, HomeAway, Oracle, BAE, Cirrus Logic, Cisco, Bazaarvoice, EA, Facebook, Google, Indeed, WP Engine, Mutual Mobile, Rackspace, Silicon Labs, VMWare, SolarWinds, ARM...

Those are the ones where I know where they are, but there are also lots of startups that I don't know about because I never look at jobs in startups.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rex-Goliath posted:

small enough so that you don't disappear into corporate ennui but big enough that they actually make money and the life of the company won't be in your hands on a daily basis
after two consecutive jobs with C-levels in my face, im really liking disappearing into the corporate ennui fwiw

what's the body count on a midlevel, ~150?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

the best thing about programming is that it's distilled problem solving, so it's satisfying at a nerdy technical level even when the subject matter is mundane. if you don't agree then how did you manage to get through school?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I'm pretty sure that Seattle has a ton of satellite offices of Silicon Valley firms, it's been tied with NY for second banana to SV for a long time.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the best thing about programming is that it's distilled problem solving, so it's satisfying at a nerdy technical level even when the subject matter is mundane. if you don't agree then how did you manage to get through school?

i've never heard "problem solving" used as a euphemism for masturbation before

MOM DON'T COME IN I'M PROBLEM SOLVING

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

fffuckin :same:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Why do people always recommend CLRS for technical interview prep. Even for learning algorithms when in college it's like a thousand pages long and is mostly composed of mathematical proofs. Is the Algorithm Design Manual any good for brushing up for whiteboarding?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maximo Roboto posted:

Why do people always recommend CLRS for technical interview prep. Even for learning algorithms when in college it's like a thousand pages long and is mostly composed of mathematical proofs. Is the Algorithm Design Manual any good for brushing up for whiteboarding?

because it sounds impressive. i mean, it does cover a lot of ground but i think it's just too much to use to study for an interview. unfortunately i don't have specific recommendations but i feel like i learned most of the algorithm stuff applicable to interviews in my earlier data structures or discrete math classes. dynamic programming is probably the only thing that was new to me that could be used, stuff like algorithmic complexity they'll probably expect you to know some common stuff but not to run akra-bazzi on the whiteboard. but all this depends on the technical level of the interview.

idk about the other thing you mentioned though

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E posted:

IDK about Seattle but Austin has offices for:

Dell, IBM, NXP, Apple, Intel, Samsung, Blizzard, National Instruments, Flextronics, Applied Materials, AMD, Amazon, HomeAway, Oracle, BAE, Cirrus Logic, Cisco, Bazaarvoice, EA, Facebook, Google, Indeed, WP Engine, Mutual Mobile, Rackspace, Silicon Labs, VMWare, SolarWinds, ARM...

Those are the ones where I know where they are, but there are also lots of startups that I don't know about because I never look at jobs in startups.

yeah but are these actual offices or just homes for salesmen and contract support types

Maximo Roboto posted:

You don't really have to exhaustively read a textbook; its just a great reference manual for you to scan and find your weak points in or things you may have not encountered

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

poor minneapolis, used to be big on the hardware front but no more

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediocre business poo poo pays good, has actual longterm sustainability, and won't pay you entirely in fake stock. it's not glamourous but it'll let you live nice when you retire.
I'm not telling anyone to work for a bank because I got so bored I quit without a new job but it took me 8 years of reasonable hours and excellent benefits to get that bored

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

carry on then posted:

Minneapolis was also culturally big, right? I heard it was like the place for punk music in the '80s the same way Seattle was for grunge in the '70s. plus Prince came from there and all that

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
welp, that phone interview went about as well as it can possibly go

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had an onsite initial interview with the hiring IT director that went well back before Christmas, hadn't heard anything so I sent a followup email to the internal recruiter last week to see if they had moved to the technical interview selections. He just got back to me and there's still hope, they haven't moved on to the second round yet.

I really need to get the gently caress out of my current job and this one would be a perfect next step up. Not to mention they're profitable, properly support their IT systems, and have some cool plans going on to take their internal app and rewrite it and sell it as SaaS in their market niche.

I'll definitely be hitting the technical people with the questions outlined earlier, I don't want to jump ship to another terrible company just because I want out of my current one. That's what happened at Job-2, and, well, thankfully I got out of that trainwreck before it completely imploded.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:eyepop:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

lancemantis posted:

yeah but are these actual offices or just homes for salesmen and contract support types

all of those companies do engineering here

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

it was a pretty hosed up, toxic culture but I did get some really good resume fodder and some good people to network with - the infrastructure team had good people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

a lot of medical hardware still; that's all that was there other than 3m right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I have a computer touching job in Minneapolis. it's in healthcare. there's a lot of those kinds of jobs.

• Locked thread