Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

euphronius posted:

I wouldnt trade the sixers 2017 #1 for McCollum straight up.

I think CJ is probably pretty close to the average value you could expect out of a guard picked in the top 5. In the last 20 drafts there have been only 36 guards that have hit 20 PER with 25% usage in a season. I think taking the sure thing makes more sense, especially with how bad Philly has been for so long and how many other picks Philly has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dokmo posted:

^^^ he got Brook, Anthony Bennett, and Foye.

Every one of these teams should be ashamed of themselves. If you are a fan of one of these teams, you should also be ashamed of yourself.

I was without even knowing we were one of the teams (though to be fair I just assumed we were).

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wolves fan, no shame. :colbert:

EDIT: Also no comeuppance https://twitter.com/rolopez42/status/542826402102267905

I don't know if that's even the right Lopez.

EDIT: Nope it's not.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

I was without even knowing we were one of the teams (though to be fair I just assumed we were).

Wiggins hit 6/7 from 3 and we still lost. I watched that game and like 20 minutes of the Bulls/Nets game after Christmas because I happen to be in Chicago and it was the easiest way to watch basketball at my Mom's house. The fact I was able to stomach that much is why I am a Net's expert.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Someone named Sean Kilpatrick is their 2nd highest scorer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Wiggins hit 6/7 from 3 and we still lost.

Probably because he went 7/22 from 2 and 4/8 from the line.

Also Shabazz going 3/12.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Also Shabazz going 3/12.

You get an above-average night from Shabazz and still cannot get the W

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Sean Kilpatrick single handedly beat the Clippers at full strength

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

dokmo posted:

He got Randy Foye who apparently is still getting paid to play professional basketball.

You just confirmed you work for the Nets because no one else knows this

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

*Nets walking by me at the brunch buffet at the Wynn*

Me: "Hey you guys play for the Knicks? The Knicks?"
Nets Player: "The Nets gently caress you man"
Friend: "Hey it's cool man we are Kings fans over here we cheer for a bad team"
Me: "Hell yeah they are a bad team. We'll be signing your rear end soon"

*Nets player keeps walking down the hallway*

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

I wouldnt trade the sixers 2017 #1 for McCollum straight up.

I wouldn't trade the Lakers pick for him considering the depth of guards in this draft.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I think CJ is probably pretty close to the average value you could expect out of a guard picked in the top 5. In the last 20 drafts there have been only 36 guards that have hit 20 PER with 25% usage in a season. I think taking the sure thing makes more sense, especially with how bad Philly has been for so long and how many other picks Philly has.

He also doesn't play defense and will cost $25 million per starting next year. It's highly doubtful the Sixers move pick that could add 3rd potential superstar, in addition to Noel+more picks, for that.

The fanbase is happy with Embiid and excited to see Simmons debut some time soon. There is zero pressure on Colangelo to make any big moves this year. He's publicly stated that they're happy to let players develop and aren't going to take any big risks on the market.

The big potential issue was trying move Noel before the trade deadline because of his contract ending. At this point, however, I'm pretty certain that it will be Okafor shipping out and he's under contract for a few more years so no impending deadline.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

^^^ he got Brook, Anthony Bennett, and Foye.

Every one of these teams should be ashamed of themselves. If you are a fan of one of these teams, you should also be ashamed of yourself.

I like the Suns blowout loss at home to the Nets.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He also doesn't play defense and will cost $25 million per starting next year. It's highly doubtful the Sixers move pick that could add 3rd potential superstar, in addition to Noel+more picks, for that.

Well, this is where things get weird. CJ is partially really bad at defense because he sucks, but also because he is an undersized shooting guard defending shooting guards. He gives up a lot of size and length to most of his opponents which leads to a lot of problems.

On the 76ers, this could be alleviated greatly by Ben Simmons. If he can run an offense, the 76ers can run their offense through him then you have CJ slide into the "point guard" position.

You then have a guy who can:

-Shoot really, really well from 3
-initiate an offense when needed
- play off the ball effectively

Which is what you want your guards to do when playing with a (theoretical, admittedly) Ben Simmons.

So I kind of really like this idea. He would essentially be a super-powered, tall 2011-2014 Mario Chalmers.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm stupid and only remotely invested in the Blazers but I sorta like that CJ/Noel swap. Portland sucks, they have no flexibility going forward, they can't beat some of the worst teams in the league right now and they probably aren't going to make the playoffs. They are miserable to watch right now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Someone named Sean Kilpatrick is their 2nd highest scorer.

The Pels had him in pre-season, signed him to a two-year minimum deal, then waived him after pre-season in favor of Bryce Dejean-Jones and Nate Robinson. I don't recall who all exactly was injured at the time to justify NateRob over Kilpatrick.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

leftist heap posted:

I'm stupid and only remotely invested in the Blazers but I sorta like that CJ/Noel swap. Portland sucks, they have no flexibility going forward, they can't beat some of the worst teams in the league right now and they probably aren't going to make the playoffs. They are miserable to watch right now.

The blazers should not even begin to think about doing this without having the 76ers take on one of Crabbe and/or Turner.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

leftist heap posted:

McCollum for Noel straight up is an absolute steal for Philly, at the level of firing Olshey on the spot. The trade proposed in that Simmons article of Noel, a top-5ish pick, and another potential lottery pick is way more than Portland could get for him currently.

I'm still in the camp that I would rather trade Lillard than McCollum, only because you're going to get much closer to fair return for Lillard.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

How the gently caress does Brooklyn have 8 wins? Is there anyone who watches them who can explain this to me?

No one believes me but they're not that bad of a team!!

Seriously. They're a bad team but they're not like, bottom tier trying to tank it out. Plus it helps that Lin's on the team and watching him is fun when he's not injured for 30+ games over hamstring soreness.

Jota posted:

No one watches Brooklyn so whoever replies to you is gonna be like a draft thread post and they're making it all up

Believe it or not some of us watch local teams, even if they're quite bad.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Kibner posted:

I like the Suns blowout loss at home to the Nets.

https://twitter.com/Earl_Watson/status/753266625877606400

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kibner posted:

The Pels had him in pre-season, signed him to a two-year minimum deal, then waived him after pre-season in favor of Bryce Dejean-Jones and Nate Robinson. I don't recall who all exactly was injured at the time to justify NateRob over Kilpatrick.

Norris Cole

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Brooklyn and the 76ers are the only teams in the NBA that when I watch them play I legit think they dont practice enough.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

Norris Cole

gently caress that. I was so mad that he performed very well in the season previous to that because I just knew that people (mostly fans) were going to overvalue him. Looks like the FO (and coaching staff?) also believed in him a bit too much.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well, this is where things get weird. CJ is partially really bad at defense because he sucks, but also because he is an undersized shooting guard defending shooting guards. He gives up a lot of size and length to most of his opponents which leads to a lot of problems.

On the 76ers, this could be alleviated greatly by Ben Simmons. If he can run an offense, the 76ers can run their offense through him then you have CJ slide into the "point guard" position.

Which is what you want your guards to do when playing with a (theoretical, admittedly) Ben Simmons.

So I kind of really like this idea. He would essentially be a super-powered, tall 2011-2014 Mario Chalmers.

I don't have a strong belief that his defense will be better if he's guarding PGs so pairing him with Simmons is one of the things that's a negative for me.

There are still so many questions regarding Simmons and defense that I'd rather have average/good defender sharing PG duties with him.

Lockback posted:

This sorta thing bugs me. I am pretty sure if you removed bad defensive lineups featuring a player from every team, everyone's DRTG would look better and Sixers wouldn't be 6th anymore.

Playing Okafor makes it hard to have a good defense though, so your point stands. I just don't like it when people try to compare only good lineups against other teams' complete set of lineups.

Part of the context is that pairing Okafor with Embiid didn't just lead to a worse defense, but to the worst defensive 4/5 pairing in the league.

Okafor's issues with defending the P+R are so well known that the opposing team immediately attacks him with it when he gets into the game.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: get hosed Dunleavy

https://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/818506893236715520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

It really doesn't make sense for the Sixers to attempt to accelerate their rebuild by trading away potential top 5 picks. The process...I hear you should trust it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have disliked so many drat players for the Pels the last few years, mostly for aesthetic reasons. I like my quiet underdogs that work hard and improve every season. I really, really don't like the players who routinely make bad decisions and the team suffers for it because they still believe they are better than they really are. I also highly dislike guys who foul at astronomical rates.

Glad you are gone, Norris. Leave me, Tyreke. Go away, Ajinca. Get hosed, Terrence Jones. Happy I don't have to watch you again, Babbitt. Ecstatic I don't have to put up with your fans or your play anymore, Jimmer. gently caress John Salmons.

I'm honestly happy you found somewhere to succeed, Ish, but I'm glad it isn't here.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm literally flabbergasted that Austin Rivers is not in that post.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
After one decently good game how are you liking DMo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BWV posted:

Brooklyn and the 76ers are the only teams in the NBA that when I watch them play I legit think they dont practice enough.

Both teams are young as gently caress with the caveat that the Nets aren't very talented to begin with outside of Lopez.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm literally flabbergasted that Austin Rivers is not in that post.

I love him and miss him so drat much. :(

Intruder posted:

After one decently good game how are you liking DMo

I didn't see much of him that night cuz I go pulled to play some 2K ProAm, but the little I did see was alright. He looked really slow, but seems to have a good feel for the game on the offensive end. Didn't see enough one way or the other on the defensive end other than, again, he moves slow.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

McCollum for Noel straight up is an absolute steal for Philly, at the level of firing Olshey on the spot. The trade proposed in that Simmons article of Noel, a top-5ish pick, and another potential lottery pick is way more than Portland could get for him currently.

I'm still in the camp that I would rather trade Lillard than McCollum, only because you're going to get much closer to fair return for Lillard.

Nobody here or anywhere is discussing Noel/McCollum straight up, so I'm not sure why you bring that up.

They are never going to trade Lillard whether it technically is the "best" deal or not so it's not really worth discussing. People get a little wrapped up in their ideas about "fair" trade value, especially in this case where Portland undeniably sucks right now and will probably continue to suck in the future. They only have so many avenues by which they can get dramatically better going forward.

Also I'm of the opinion that Crabbe is mostly fine and basically playing up to his contract at this point. Maybe I'm just enamored with his goofy ears and big hair I dunno. Nobody is gonna take Turner, not without giving up something in return and I'm not sure he's bad enough to warrant that right now, although maybe if you can package him with picks from a CJ trade, I dunno.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LOL owned. I read he is trying to get to GS. (And there might be mutual interest. Why?) Don't let him do it ATL.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Evan Turner is the most bulls player not currently on the bulls except for the captain heart grit and hustle kirk hinrich

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Why would the cavs trade Mike Dunleavy, the Giannis Stopper

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Why would the cavs trade Mike Dunleavy, the Giannis Stopper

If they want Korver and his 7 billion 3 pointers they need to match contracts and no one is touching that awful shumpert contract.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Eh, the cap explosion made the shumpert contract just an average bad contract, instead of an outrageous one.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Hawks are cool as gently caress to me right now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Those are good arguments.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Austin Rivers just won the Clippers two games pretty much singlehandedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dun-Leavy will stay on Hawks after being assured that he can still elbow the gently caress out of people

• Locked thread