Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Can you hear that?

It's the sound of standard rotting from the inside.

Well, faster than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Also, all the more reason to not bother buying back into standard. Heavy handed bannings that will now happen twice as often do not make me want to put money into a good deck.

In fairness to Wizards, the first standard bannings in almost 6 years targeting two HIGHLY ban-worthy cards and one very likely ban-worthy card isn't exactly what I call heavy handed.

The format will be literally a million times better without Emrakul and Copter

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sickening posted:

To be fair they banned a pretty popular mythic just now.

Yeah I liked Emmy. I think adding GY hate and banning marvel would have been better but they still want energy to be a thing I guess.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A big flaming stink posted:

Thragtusk, then.

Are you for real or do you just play someone who doesn't know INN/RTR on TV?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

it already sold its packs my dude

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

It's from a set that's not selling many packs right now because I guarantee 95% of their sales are from Kaladesh and soon Aether Revolt.

Count Bleck posted:

Can you hear that?

How does the format getting much more enjoyable to play due to three cards getting removed make Standard worse in your eyes?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Count Bleck posted:

Can you hear that?

I just fully disagree. This is the kind of thing they needed to do if they wanted a fun and diverse format. Copter and Emrakul were much, much to overcentralizing and were two of the biggest reasons that standard has been unfun imo

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

How does the format getting much more enjoyable to play due to three cards getting removed make Standard worse in your eyes?

I suppose it does make Standard less poo poo, but if they were going to pull this poo poo I wish it was when Siege Rhino was That Card Everyone Played And Hated, as well.

I guess it's my own drat fault for holding on to a playset of Looter Scooters while not actually playing Standard.

And that I now need to find another aggro deck to give a drat about.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

sit on my Facebook posted:

I just fully disagree. This is the kind of thing they needed to do if they wanted a fun and diverse format. Copter and Emrakul were much, much to overcentralizing and were two of the biggest reasons that standard has been unfun imo

I can agree with this. Good thing radiant flames is still around to keep aggro in check for my cat ladies.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

kinda hosed up that they banned probe in the format without cabal therapy

unless this means we are getting cabal therapy

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

you really don't understand why they don't want to ban out the combo that sells more mythics

I am never going to buy into Standard if they're going to just ban cards instead of bothering to print answers to them. They printed Deglamor but didn't print Shatter - if they had then you can leave Copter around. They refused to print something like Tormod's Crypt.

gently caress it whatever just ban Delver and maybe Probe in Pauper WotC and I'll stop complaining.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

I am never going to buy into Standard if they're going to just ban cards instead of bothering to print answers to them. They printed Deglamor but didn't print Shatter - if they had then you can leave Copter around. They refused to print something like Tormod's Crypt.

gently caress it whatever just ban Delver and maybe Probe in Pauper WotC and I'll stop complaining.

I don't think we needed Shatter.

I think we needed Smelt.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

you can also see this philosophy in past bans like:

rally the ancestors
collected company
siege rhino
stoke the flames
pack rat
etc

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

I suppose it does make Standard less poo poo, but if they were going to pull this poo poo I wish it was when Siege Rhino was That Card Everyone Played And Hated, as well.

There's a difference between no one liking Siege Rhino and being unable to play anything but WU value mans or Cheat Out Emrakul without getting dragged into the screaming pits of hell.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Are you for real or do you just play someone who doesn't know INN/RTR on TV?
yeah i don't understand why people always bring up thragtusk, a card that was in a few good decks in a standard with like 20 good decks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah i don't understand why people always bring up thragtusk, a card that was in a few good decks in a standard with like 20 good decks.

I miss INN/RTR Standard.

Izzet Blitz was The Best Most Fun Deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tales of Woe posted:

I mean a lot of decks played it but that's because everything was 3/4 colors and it cost only one colored mana.

It was a slow standard, almost certainly due to Thragtusk, but there was quite a bit of variety in how the slow decks worked.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I think they banned Reflector Mage because having Mage without Copter likely means there would not be any viable Aggro decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

Look I can understand banning mage to preemptively weaken the Copy Cat deck, but Copter was one of the few things that could threaten the opponent's Saheeli if they curved Inspector into two drop into just running the Saheeli out turn three. I don't understand leaving actual Twin combo in standard.

They doubled the number of B&R Announcments so that they could do it without people complaining it never got a chance. It's still too good and everyone's about to find out.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I can agree with this. Good thing radiant flames is still around to keep aggro in check for my cat ladies.

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that Cat Lady is a relatively fair deck. Without Ponder/Preordain/Serum Visions around you don't have near the consistency of Exarch-Twin when it was in standard and that deck was totally reasonable. With relatively decent commonly played or potentially playable answers in the form of Grasp of Darkness/Shock/Warping Wail/Stasis Snare/Fatal Push/playable counterspells/Authority of the Consuls/Thalia and probably more that are viable in this brave new world, I think having a combo win deck like Cat Lady is pretty sweet actually, and at the very least not good enough to be degenerate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that Cat Lady is a relatively fair deck. Without Ponder/Preordain/Serum Visions around you don't have near the consistency of Exarch-Twin when it was in standard and that deck was totally reasonable. With relatively decent commonly played or potentially playable answers in the form of Grasp of Darkness/Shock/Warping Wail/Stasis Snare/Fatal Push/playable counterspells/Authority of the Consuls/Thalia and probably more that are viable in this brave new world, I think having a combo win deck like Cat Lady is pretty sweet actually, and at the very least not good enough to be degenerate.

It's not a relatively fair deck, it's a completely degenerate deck you can never beat. You'll see. It's closer to Twin than you think it is. The combo has 8 cards and a bunch of cards that are reasonably powerful on their own.

If the board is clear on turn 3, they just play Saheeli and up tick her to 4. From then on its on the onus of the other player to keep up instead speed removal for the rest of the match, while the opponent digs for the combo + Dispel. The best way to pressure Saheeli was Smuggler's Copter.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not a relatively fair deck, it's a completely degenerate deck you can never beat. You'll see. It's closer to Twin than you think it is. The combo has 8 cards and a bunch of cards that are reasonably powerful on their own.

Yeah I mean I'm totally open to being wrong on this one but I was just beating up on it over and over with other counterspell decks that weren't devoting 8 slots to a bad PW and a bad creature. I'm sure it's a tier one deck, to be clear, but I'm not yet convinced it's unfair.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

In fairness to Wizards, the first standard bannings in almost 6 years targeting two HIGHLY ban-worthy cards and one very likely ban-worthy card isn't exactly what I call heavy handed.

The format will be literally a million times better without Emrakul and Copter

I meant heavy-handed more in the sense that they're addressing the symptoms instead of the illness. Instead of banning things when they inevitably get out of control and the format stagnates in a few weeks, they should be focusing on shifting their design philosophies to create more balanced and diverse formats. Fewer pushed cards and huge value bombs, better answers and counter-strategies built into sets, and frankly a lower overall power level.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Feels bad to spend 200 bucks on card you can't play :(

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Without Ponder/Preordain/Serum Visions around you don't have near the consistency of Exarch-Twin when it was in standard and that deck was totally reasonable.

that deck was NOT reasonable for the last couple months, after M12 came out and brought in Ponder. enough people had checked out of the format at that point that it never really got built up as a boogeyman but it was clearly stupid strong.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Feels bad to spend 200 bucks on card you can't play :(

What the hell did you spend 200 bucks on?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

What the hell did you spend 200 bucks on?

Playsets of everything that got banned heh. (Maybe closer to 150...)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I meant heavy-handed more in the sense that they're addressing the symptoms instead of the illness. Instead of banning things when they inevitably get out of control and the format stagnates in a few weeks, they should be focusing on shifting their design philosophies to create more balanced and diverse formats. Fewer pushed cards and huge value bombs, better answers and counter-strategies built into sets, and frankly a lower overall power level.

Who says they're not? Aether Revolt was probably already being printed before they even knew there was a problem.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tales of Woe posted:

that deck was NOT reasonable for the last couple months, after M12 came out and brought in Ponder. enough people had checked out of the format at that point that it never really got built up as a boogeyman but it was clearly stupid strong.

It only really caught on in the superstandard that also had post-ban Caw-Blade which was still really overpowered. Everyone interested in Standard was waiting until ZEN block left to try anything.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tales of Woe posted:

i mean there were a lot of strong decks when twin was in standard, it was strong but it wasnt remotely oppressive

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/samstod/status/818541652004388864

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

rabidsquid posted:

i mean there were a lot of strong decks when twin was in standard, it was strong but it wasnt remotely oppressive

This is the main distinction imo; it's fine that an infinite combo deck is strong. The mere fact that it's an infinite combo deck does not make it necessarily oppressive.

Again, obviously, it remains to be seen how Cat Lady shakes out but I think it'll be fine.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

taking win rates from modo is CERTAINLY INTERESTING

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

taking win rates from modo is CERTAINLY INTERESTING

I like that they do balancing based on MODO but told MTG goldfish to stop.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this was a defensible position 2 months ago but every pro has been pretty down on it since the rise of marvel

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I mean for Car Lady there is Negate. Also Declaration in Stone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Soul Glo posted:

Also Declaration in Stone.

?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kill all the cats, man

e: Does Guardian get haste too?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tron, bant eldrazi, and other big mana decks just got a little better in modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Soul Glo posted:

Kill all the cats, man

Let me know how that works for you.

• Locked thread