Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

OSU_Matthew posted:

E: I am a gigantic dumbass and didn't turn up the headphones audio knob, so that fixes that problem. But regarding my other question, what are the chances of there being any not immediately noticed long term damage (beyond a cracked knob that can be easily replaced)?

It won't be the electronics that are likely to have a problem (solder joints and the like should start showing issues sooner than later), but anything mechanical. I would suggest exercising each key extensively, trying to see if anything feels marginally inconsistent. Even if it doesn't, if there is a fracture in the plastic, it might take hours of cycling the damaged key before it finally gives way.

You can't return it to the seller for a replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
sounds like he sold you a busted synth

but uh for troubleshooting i'd start trying to resolder the main out jack and see if it helps. might be as easy as a poor solder joint

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right
Matthew, I'll take a look at it if you will help me with an arduino project. I built the hardware for an arduinoboy but I have never made anything arduino before. Might even be able to do it over the net if you have a good camera. If you're interested shoot me a PM

Edit: The music shop fixed the minikorg, but I worked out a deal with the owner. His kia got sideswiped and I'm doing the body work

Calus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 9, 2017

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
There isn't really a perfect thread for this but since it is an attempt to loop actual analog synth hardware into my workflow I thought I'd float it here for your expertise and feedback.

I'm looking to get a few analog devices and integrate them with my current setup. The problem is, right now, my setup is very simple -- a Macbook Pro, Ableton Live 9 and a Push 2. My current goal is to integrate two devices -- a Makenoise 0_Coast and an Eventide Space. Down the road, I'd like to add in a small modular rack.

I'd like to use Ableton to sequence the MIDI for the 0_Coast (and maybe clock for the Eventide?). I'd like to be able to ship the signal from the mixer into Ableton from the mixer for recording. After a few weeks of research I'm narrowing down how this might be ideally setup but I still have my worries about things like latency and such.

I want to type out my shopping list and how I want to wire it up and get your opinions on things and maybe highlight what I'm missing or not considering.

MakeNoise 0_Coast -- I really want a modular rack but I don't know enough to justify it so I'm viewing this as "babby's first modular" and I'm going to use this to kickstart my learning and fun times.

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/synthesizers/ohcoast

Eventide Space -- This thing sounds so cool. I want one. I love the reverbs and stuff in Ableton but this will be a hardware device that can be used all over the place. When/If I start a modular rack I'd like to add things like Mutable Instruments Clouds and I feel like I'd be able to get some really interesting interactions with these.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/stompboxes/reverb/space

Mixer -- I need a mixer. I need it to have USB to integrate with Live. The last time I was messing with music stuff years ago, Firewire was a big deal and still had clicks, pops and latency issues. Those seem to be gone but maybe not? Let me know. My current target is the Mackie ProFxV2 8 or 12 channel mixer. It will supposedly integrate with the Mac via USB and Ableton Live as well as manage channels when I'm running totally analog. My buddy who does music for a living says its good enough for my modest needs but his thing is making ambient noise so I'm looking for goon feedback.

http://mackie.com/products/profxv2-series

MIDI in/out -- I want to send MIDI messages from Ableton (recorded by skillful bashing on the Push 2) to the 0_Coast. I'd also like to push the messages to control the Eventide Space. I was going to buy the Roland UM-ONE (that's a USB to MIDI cable). My current thinking is that I send the MIDI via the Roland cable to the Eventide MIDI In, then from the Eventide MIDI out to the 0_Coast. Does this make sense? What kind of latency issues am I going to have? I feel like I'm missing something here.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMOneMk2

So the signal/creativity flow will be:

Use the Push2 to record MIDI tracks and twiddle knobs.
The MIDI OUT goes to the Eventide and then chains to the 0_Coast.
The 0_Coast makes analog noises which loop to the Eventide via LINE OUT.
The Eventide LINE OUT goes to the Mackie mixer.
The Mackie mixer goes to the monitors (recommendations for small cheap monitors also welcome) as well as routes back into Ableton Live via USB.

Thanks, smarties.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
If the Spaces MIDI OUT can be configured into a MIDI THRU port (check the manual for that) you'll have no issues and no latency, you'll just have to make sure to send MIDI to the 0-Coast on one channel and MIDI to the Space on another one.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

It sounds like you may have a better handle on your specific needs - this is written as a general starting hardware answer so feel free to disregard if parts don't jive.

I'd make sure you really want the Space before you go for it. Like, really really want it and you're sure that another outboard reverb at a similar price point (Blue*/Big Sky, used Lexicon, OTO BAM, even say the EHX Cathedral or the Neurembarr Immerse for slightly cheaper but still good) isn't going to get you there. It sounds very cool but it tends to take over sounds (it sounds like Space+whatever, not whatever+ambience - which I like with boring VA patches but I tend to want to avoid with say the 0-Coast) and ironically I use it less because of the samey-ness.

Similarly with a small setup including outboard FX I wouldn't bother with a mixer with built in effects, as you'll be paying for something you won't use (I realize Mackie does new mixer price points weird but well). Those mixers are 'good enough' but then so is a 20 year old Mackie CR1604, and in many ways it may even be better! Anything on the mixers is going to be better duplicated either in Ableton with free stuff or in whatever effects choice you go with. Check out used Mackie 16 channels for something similar and cheaper (and you'll get sends which is what you really want).

MIDI in and out you'll want to do via an audio/MIDI interface. You'll get much more bang for your buck running an analog mixer (USED!) into a 2 input, Midi in/out box (say a Focusrite 2/2) than getting a mixer with computer hookups until you start spending more than the Space + 0 Coast together on the inputs. Firewire is getting phased out and USB is fine, but if you can work Firewire it's fine too.

MIDI latency is something that you'll run in to sending signals from a DAW, and chaining 3+ things from a single output. The DAW stuff you can address with buffers, while the other one you won't have to worry about for a while.

If you're only running the 0 Coast and pedal, you won't need a mixer - you can do it all through an interface. And I think newer MOTU audio interfaces let you monitor and work their mixers without a computer, which unless you're sure you need a mixer right now, might be the way to start.

*Just due to quirks of signal routing, it's easier to run a 0 Coast stereo into the Strymon pedals than anything else - but it's a trivial fix.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

JamesKPolk posted:

It sounds like you may have a better handle on your specific needs - this is written as a general starting hardware answer so feel free to disregard if parts don't jive.

I'd make sure you really want the Space before you go for it. Like, really really want it and you're sure that another outboard reverb at a similar price point (Blue*/Big Sky, used Lexicon, OTO BAM, even say the EHX Cathedral or the Neurembarr Immerse for slightly cheaper but still good) isn't going to get you there. It sounds very cool but it tends to take over sounds (it sounds like Space+whatever, not whatever+ambience - which I like with boring VA patches but I tend to want to avoid with say the 0-Coast) and ironically I use it less because of the samey-ness.

I debated this for a long time and considered leaving the Eventide out at first and just using the Ableton and Max reverbs. I might do this for now and see how it goes. On the other hand, I really like what the Space does. Definitely something to think more about.

JamesKPolk posted:

Similarly with a small setup including outboard FX I wouldn't bother with a mixer with built in effects, as you'll be paying for something you won't use (I realize Mackie does new mixer price points weird but well). Those mixers are 'good enough' but then so is a 20 year old Mackie CR1604, and in many ways it may even be better! Anything on the mixers is going to be better duplicated either in Ableton with free stuff or in whatever effects choice you go with. Check out used Mackie 16 channels for something similar and cheaper (and you'll get sends which is what you really want).

The issue is that I am having trouble finding a good mixer with USB. Old mixers won't do it and I am assuming newer mixers will have better USB drivers etc. I really don't want the onboard effects but, like you said, its really hard to find something in an affordable sweet spot that has the functionality I need but doesn't break the bank. That Mackie seemed ok. In all likelihood just avoid the mixer effects. If I could avoid them, I would. Key needs are : at least 8 channels and USB. I didn't mention it earlier but I do have a guitar which I'd like to patch in here and there too.

JamesKPolk posted:

MIDI in and out you'll want to do via an audio/MIDI interface. You'll get much more bang for your buck running an analog mixer (USED!) into a 2 input, Midi in/out box (say a Focusrite 2/2) than getting a mixer with computer hookups until you start spending more than the Space + 0 Coast together on the inputs. Firewire is getting phased out and USB is fine, but if you can work Firewire it's fine too.

MIDI latency is something that you'll run in to sending signals from a DAW, and chaining 3+ things from a single output. The DAW stuff you can address with buffers, while the other one you won't have to worry about for a while.

This is good info. I am going to go down this rabbit hole today and see what I find. The addition of guitar (another target for the Eventide) might lean still lean me towards the Mackie. While I like the idea of starting smaller, cheaper, and more targeted, the eventual goal is to have more devices generating sound and that leans me towards the mixer side as well. Like I said, the Mackie was recommended but I'm sure there are others in that price range. Suggestions are definitely welcome but I'll take a look at the Focusrite 2/2 as well. Thanks.

JamesKPolk posted:

If you're only running the 0 Coast and pedal, you won't need a mixer - you can do it all through an interface. And I think newer MOTU audio interfaces let you monitor and work their mixers without a computer, which unless you're sure you need a mixer right now, might be the way to start.

*Just due to quirks of signal routing, it's easier to run a 0 Coast stereo into the Strymon pedals than anything else - but it's a trivial fix.

MOTU --- will look at this today too.

Thanks a lot for the thoughtful feedback.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Gringostar posted:

If the Spaces MIDI OUT can be configured into a MIDI THRU port (check the manual for that) you'll have no issues and no latency, you'll just have to make sure to send MIDI to the 0-Coast on one channel and MIDI to the Space on another one.

I checked the Spaces manual and there is MIDI Thru/Out so I might be good there. Thanks!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Is the H9 Max a strict superset of the Space? Not really relevant to the discussion but for my own curiosity.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I had thought no but I'm on the H9 site and they're all there.

Space has more knobs, I guess.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I can live with the knobs issue. I have a BigSky and while it sounds great, it's not really "out there" and I have VST reverbs that do the bulk of my reverb duties. Thinking of selling it for an H9.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Maybe take a look at the Yamaha MG series mixers?

Good value (esp. 2nd hand), USB audio interface built-in, don't lack any features I'd personally consider vital, instantly intuitive to use, and drat near indestructible. I've stuck a few in some of my local venues and they've survived the most incredible abuse from performers on the more "extreme" end of things.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

ynohtna posted:

Maybe take a look at the Yamaha MG series mixers?

Good value (esp. 2nd hand), USB audio interface built-in, don't lack any features I'd personally consider vital, instantly intuitive to use, and drat near indestructible. I've stuck a few in some of my local venues and they've survived the most incredible abuse from performers on the more "extreme" end of things.

I took a peek at these. They look comparable to the Mackie and, like the Mackie, once you introduce USB into the equation they add a bunch of "sweet" onboard effects. This is the one I looked at. It looks nice:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG12XU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

I can live with the knobs issue. I have a BigSky and while it sounds great, it's not really "out there" and I have VST reverbs that do the bulk of my reverb duties. Thinking of selling it for an H9.

if you decide to sell your bigsky, shoot me a PM

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Or me if you wanna trade for a Space (but I'd go the H9 tbh especially if you're not trying to cut out computers)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm going the other route, looking to increase the DAW interoperability and reducing redundancy.

I'll keep y'all in mind -- haven't made a decision quite yet.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I want from a small Yamaha to a 12-channel Mackie and I really prefer the Mackie, the sound is much cleaner. The effects are only OK mostly because you only get level and nothing else.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Tayter Swift posted:

Is the H9 Max a strict superset of the Space? Not really relevant to the discussion but for my own curiosity.

Pretty much yeah, fewer physical knobs but it has all of the Space algorithms + everything from their other digital pedals and a couple extras relating to compression / distortion. I got one a few days ago and it's pretty nice, tweaking is best done with the computer / mobile apps though, the one knob interface is clunky for deep twiddling.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh boy. My modular poo poo just arrived.

Still waiting on the Morpheus and the uVCA, but luckily I have VCAs to spare :smuggo:

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right
Anyone know where to get a Turing Machine mkii schematic?

:spergin:

Calus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 11, 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks yall I just bought a Move 104

I know I want the Mono Lancet expander and I think I want an Atlantis, and other than that I want to get utility modules for my other CV stuff... and I already feel like I'm running out of HP and power.

What's good for dense LFO and VCA (I guess) modules? (Not sold on VCAs just yet - I'm mostly looking to expand complete semi-modular voices). Any musts for filters? Do I need an output module? What about MIDI? (Or will the Lancet, a Qunexus, and a SQ-1 be enough?) Can Yarns do 4 channels of MIDI to CV and 4 tempo-synced LFOs? uMIDI plus a clock divider and Tides seemed cool as well, to my infant euro brain. How essential is an English Tear for making my MS-20 work? I don't really care about oscillator pitch (or so I say now...)

Make Noise MMG, DPO/STO, and Maths were all on my radar until I realized that 0 Coasts do a lot of the same stuff, so I'm thinking to hold off on those for if (when) (oh god its happening) I expand to a bigger case. I'm also not that interested in random voltage and generative stuff (I think?) cause it just doesn't fit my workflow. Same with LPGs - love the theory, not sure about actually using them. The Sputnik quad one looked cool though just cause it was so much stuff packed together. I like the idea of Elements but more as a concept than as an instrument? But then again maybe I just need to get my hands on one. It's so much HP though. Effects seem like fine things to do outside the system.

Jeez I have a lot of euro plans, subconscious GAS or something that's coming pouring out now that I'm starting a dang system.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I like some of his new modules, I just wish he wouldn't keep trying to fit so much functionality in 1U. Just make it a 2U module, there's plenty of space, it looks too cramped as it is. Cool EG module anyway. Dual looping envelope/VCA/sequencer(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ejG7jhjGqg

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I have a bit of an idiot question, but when you have multiple synths, is there a specific mixer you guys usually buy? All of the mixers I've found pile on inputs for microphones as you go bigger, but the number of L/R line in inputs increases count only marginally. There has to be someone who makes a solution for this already, so I'd like to know what that solution is before I send out a homeroll design to solve my problem.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

FormulaXFD posted:

I have a bit of an idiot question, but when you have multiple synths, is there a specific mixer you guys usually buy? All of the mixers I've found pile on inputs for microphones as you go bigger, but the number of L/R line in inputs increases count only marginally. There has to be someone who makes a solution for this already, so I'd like to know what that solution is before I send out a homeroll design to solve my problem.

My solution was to go all mono :downs:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

FormulaXFD posted:

Mackie LM3204 looks ideal.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Also, 2 mono channels panned left and right with the same pre and eq settings are basically a stereo channel - that's the other solution (and what you'd do micing in stereo, kinda).

And there are lots of things sold as keyboard or submixers that are all stereo, usually with a limited channel strip, as you need that stuff less with sound sources that default to stereo. Mackie's LM3204 is a nice example (and there are some cheap ones on ebay right now), and there are some one unit Rane/Shure/etc things as well, usually with about 8 channels in one or two rack Us. I think Behringer has some as well though people are well scared of the brand for this sort of thing so it's tough to get an accurate idea (and no way I'm taking the plunge, mixer issues are the WORST). A lot of those are expandable by linking via a jumper or just run then into a larger mixer down the road.

Every new mixer stage you add introduces noise (hence the jumper link appeal), so keep that in mind. And as with everything it's worse the cheaper you go.

e:

Flipperwaldt posted:

Mackie LM3204 looks ideal.

yeah. it's real nice, the only thing it's missing is per-channel preamp stuff so its hard to overdrive. I moved across the country and gave mine away but I STILL think about re-buying

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I'm kind of waffling between an Octatrack, RYTM, or Machinedrum as a drum machine to complement my Monomachine. I picked up a Volca Sample last summer but I've done what I can with it. While the 4MB isn't a big limitation, I'm finding the 99 sample limit hindering. I was hoping for a simple drum machine but it's just a bit too simple (understandable, given its price).

I tried looking at other samplers (Boss 303/505, Electribes) and keep hitting some kind of limitation, be it sample rate, effects, compression, or other. Something like the RYTM seems no-compromise, between its drum and synth synthesis as well as sampling, but it's a far sight more expensive than an MD or Octatrack. I lean to the OT as a result since it seems more prolific than the MD second-hand, pros being the sampling available meaning it might serve to be another tool I can use and external audio processing, downside being less drum parameter control. Which leads me to the MD which is nonexistant used, at least in the last available version, which has more control over drum sounds and may be easier to dive right in, but serves some of the same function as a my Monomachine. Its sampling abilities aren't as fleshed out as the OT, but right now I'm not looking to sample, just use samples from existing drum machines and ROMplers. The effects are also sound a bit more dated if Youtube is any indication.

Both are just going to get controlled over MIDI.

I never cared about what things sounded like until I started buying hardware -_-.

Edit: After watching youtube videos all morning I'll probably go with a Machinedrum when one pops up. Ooooor a RYTM if it's ever a reasonable price.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 15, 2017

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Might want to wait a few weeks and see how well the MPC live works.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Ooooor a RYTM if it's ever a reasonable price.

lol

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

From the Moogfest 2017 press release

quote:

This will mark Laraaji’s debut 8-hour sleep concert, in which he describes that ‘participants will imagine their self in the present time of a sincere desire, dream vision being fulfilled. Gentle ambient celestial sounds and tones unfold over an eight hour period with zither, and various instruments supporting rest and trance, in an extended yoga SAVASANA. Participants awake with a 15 minute guided laughter meditation.'

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

From the Moogfest 2017 press release

gently caress I might have to go to moogfest this year

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
There isn't enough weed in the world

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
No, but there should be.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
WorldWarWonderful I mean it sounds like your looking for a sampler plus drum machine, plus bells and whistles.

IMO an Octatrack is all that and more. Really, a super sampler workstation powerhouse. However if your looking for 100% analog sounds (assuming one can apparently tell the difference between a manipulated analog sample VS repeated generated sample, which I highly doubt) then it's not for you.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So, Dave Smith is coming out with an update to the Prophet 08 that's 16 voices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRMyTPaz55w

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Also this for some reason:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

elektron made a drum machine. huh. oh it sequences too.

http://cdm.link/2017/01/elektrons-digitakt-compact-drum-machine-external-midi/

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Huh, that's an interesting debate then... I have the RYTM and had been debating the Octatrack; problem is, this looks like something meant for one-shots, unlike the Octatrack which sounds like is built to handle longer samples/loops and better control. Maybe once more specs come out I can see if one makes more sense than the other. That being said, Octatrack seems to have vanished from most store stock; maybe that means it's on the way out, maybe that means they put it on hold until they could announce this and give people the choice. Or I should bite the bullet, get a laptop and start integrating Live right into the modular workflow for sample capture/looping and playback.

Oh, and Make Noise look like they have an updated version of the Phonogene out called the Morphagene or something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYeDwEWMA8. Guess it was about time given how much other audio/granular stuff there is out there.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
I'm in the market for a sequencer, so between the MPC live, and now Digitakt I just have to see which one has the best feature set.

Worst case is I can go back to my original plan for a pyramid if they both end up being poo poo.

Oh, and Malekko is coming out with a groove box, a drum machine, and they're doing a collaboration with harvestman for a wavetable groove box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdK6Yc-xHro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

God those synths look awesome. Especially at that price.

Less excited about the drum machine just cause it doesn't seem like it's my style... but I'm ready to be wrong. Analog bitcrusher things on the kicks piques my interest.