Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kirkland brand alcohol is cheap and good as well.

loving lol at this thread sometimes, I read the last two pages and we went from "Is $500k/year rich?" to "How can people live on less than $20/hour?"

KingSlime posted:

Some of you need some serious perspective checking if you don't think your life isn't a constant stream of excess and indulgence based on the numbers you're throwing around.

I'm not even knocking you for it (we all want a cushy life after all) but cmon guys your privelege and lack of exposure is blatant.

Don't get weird about it either, it is what it is. People I grew up with envy my income and it's nowhere near six figures, tons of people getting by with a sliver of what you use.

You used better words than I did, but yeah. I feel so out of touch being someone who makes $40k/year. Not making enough is BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's very silly to strive to make a specific x amount of money per year. Because in many places, $100K/year doesn't get you much. But in other places, it's plenty. It's also a good way to get funnelled into an occupation that you hate, which means that you'll either perform badly, or burn out of. I could never understand people's weird obsession with the mystical "I wanna make $100K a year!" aspiration. It's like people everywhere collectively decided that $100,000 per year is some sort of milestone achievement that every living human should aspire to, even though most people would foolishly spend away that money once their salary went up.

Also, a lot of people lie about their incomes, especially if they're obsessed with keeping up appearances. Which makes it really dangerous when you fall into the trap of "Keeping up with the Joneses". There's a lot more to financial well-being than your before-tax, before daily expense, before debt obligation "salary".

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you're planning on a big ticket electronics purchase, you'd probably do well buying an one-year Costco membership just for the extended warranty on their TV's and their incredible return policy.
I love Costco, but a warning about their return policy as it relates to electronics (at least as it applies to their Canadian stores). It ain't what it used to be. I tried to return a dashcam that we hadn't opened for a while, and there's a 30-day return policy on their electronics, now. This is a fairly new development.

Also, Costco isn't always the cheaper option. Their paper Kirkland-brand towels, toilet paper, and other consumer staples brands are cheaper, but everything else is generally higher quality and therefore more expensive than other brands. Costco trips are expensive. :eng99:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 9, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

WampaLord posted:

You used better words than I did, but yeah. I feel so out of touch being someone who makes $40k/year. Not making enough is BWM.

Sometimes I forget how "elite" these forums are in comparison to my economic background and personal upbringing. Then I read PYF purchases and this thread.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Duckman2008 posted:

Costco is worth it just for the pricing you get on car rentals while traveling.

USAA has been the cheapest I've had access to, but I can't recall if I've compared their discount to Costco or not. Also, if you're booking a rental a few months out, set up a reminder to recheck pricing every few days. I had that situation last year and the rental prices dropped almost in half for a few days at some point and I was able to rebook at a huge savings.

We probably come close to making back our Costco membership fee just in how much we save on milk in a year. Their gas station is typically $0.20 less per gallon than other gas stations on unleaded, and I've seen diesel (wife has a TDI) for upwards of $0.50 per gallon cheaper.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

USAA has been the cheapest I've had access to, but I can't recall if I've compared their discount to Costco or not

But anyone can join CostCo for a membership fee, for USAA you have to be active/former military or a military spouse, so a straight comparison isn't useful.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Even if it were next door, there is no way that waiting in that huge rear end Costco gas line is worth 3 bucks. Maybe your Costco is a lot less crowded than mine is.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i accept that if things get real bad i should trade in or sell or something my truck and try to get a used one. right now i owe less than its worth. i had been debating on getting a sedan instead (since i have no need for a 4wd truck where im moving to) but the cost of insurance would skyrocket again for some god forsaken reason.

itll be a leraning experience. i'll be going from $17/hr to $10/hr or around there. I'll really just have to support myself but ill have my gf there too so :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

melon cat posted:

It's very silly to strive to make a specific x amount of money per year. Because in many places, $100K/year doesn't get you much. But in other places, it's plenty. It's also a good way to get funnelled into an occupation that you hate, which means that you'll either perform badly, or burn out of. I could never understand people's weird obsession with the mystical "I wanna make $100K a year!" aspiration. It's like people everywhere collectively decided that $100,000 per year is some sort of milestone achievement that every living human should aspire to, even though most people would foolishly spend away that money once their salary went up.

Also, a lot of people lie about their incomes, especially if they're obsessed with keeping up appearances. Which makes it really dangerous when you fall into the trap of "Keeping up with the Joneses". There's a lot more to financial well-being than your before-tax, before daily expense, before debt obligation "salary".

I love Costco, but a warning about their return policy as it relates to electronics (at least as it applies to their Canadian stores). It ain't what it used to be. I tried to return a dashcam that we hadn't opened for a while, and there's a 30-day return policy on their electronics, now. This is a fairly new development.

Also, Costco isn't always the cheaper option. Their paper Kirkland-brand towels, toilet paper, and other consumer staples brands are cheaper, but everything else is generally higher quality and therefore more expensive than other brands. Costco trips are expensive. :eng99:

Agreed. Gauging your success or wealth on salary numbers is pretty silly, especially since life is very different in a single income household at $100k vs. a dual income household at $50k/each.
And then there's inherited wealth too which is a whole other kettle of fish. Some people start out with a bunch from their parents/grandparents. Some others accrue negative wealth from family members, like if they are expecting to need to financially support their aging parents with underfunded retirements.
So yeah, you never really know.

Costco's electronics return policy got changed from a really generous, no questions asked one to what we have now which is similar to other retailers. People who worked there told me that they would see people buy a TV in the 80's at Costco, and then return it and upgrade it every 5 years or so, applying their original purchase price towards a newer model. So you could spend $400 and get new TVs every few years for the next 25 years (when they changed the policy)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
People exaggerating their income is a good thing to remember for sure. I myself overestimate by 5k when asked partially because it's freelance and changes per year and partially because I subconsiously want to be as close to the "success spectrum" as possible. I am a few k short of my main income goal I set for myself during college, at least at this age. And I'm pretty happy about that, my monthly expenses have stayed the same so I feel like a child with too much money during payday, at least for a glorious night or two during the week.

No doubt my needs will scale with a family and children but since I'm a goon I should die alone hopefully. And yeah all my needs are met+some but I'm still working towards growing my income, human nature and all.

Point is, I've no doubt people ham up their claims with a larger range of flexibility to their numbers.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 9, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Some of you need some serious perspective checking if you don't think your life isn't a constant stream of excess and indulgence based on the numbers you're throwing around.

I'm not even knocking you for it (we all want a cushy life after all) but cmon guys your privelege and lack of exposure is blatant. That or you forgot how to be smart about your money along the way (lifestyle creep, etc).

Don't get weird about it either, it is what it is. People I grew up with envy my income and it's nowhere near six figures, tons of people getting by with a sliver of what you spend or "need".

I carpool with a guy who drives a Mercedes ML something or other, gets his car serviced exclusively at the dealership, owns a boat, owns his house outright (bought at $3xxk now worth $1MM non bubble bux, pays less property tax than me due to CA laws), literally 0 debt, his kids go to basically any college they want for cheap to free, etc etc. He was complaining that he wished they would "only raise taxes on the rich, not people like him. I mean our combined income is only $350k." I'm fairly certain his wife is earning ~60%+ of that and might have a pension coming. The bubble he lives in is hilarious.

The BWM is the dealer serviced German luxury car out of warranty. He wanted a AWD diesel to tow his boat. (Which he does get a dozen or two days a year of use fishing in it. It fits in his garage.) Recently the fill level sensor in his DEF tank went out and he paid $4,000 for a whole new tank at the dealer.

They are maybe 5-7 years from retirement, basically as soon as their youngest kid finishes college.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wait, is 500k now rich?

I wish we'd decide this before Trumpocalypse hits and 'rich' just means two-ply toilet paper.

It's upper class by the commonly accepted limit of upper-middle class being $250k :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I'm not even knocking you for it (we all want a cushy life after all) but cmon guys your privelege and lack of exposure is blatant. That or you forgot how to be smart about your money along the way (lifestyle creep, etc).

Don't get weird about it either, it is what it is. People I grew up with envy my income and it's nowhere near six figures, tons of people getting by with a sliver of what you spend or "need".

I started at $12 bux an hour and worked my way up so i have the god-given right to look down on you for not bootstraps'ing hard enough

Also I'm a white male from a stable, upper-middle class home who went to good schools and a good college but obviously that has nothing to do with it and it's just my hard work :colbert:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Costco is worth it just for the pricing you get on car rentals while traveling.

About a year ago my costco rental saved me about 400 bucks on a week rental. Almost felt guilty with how much cheaper it was.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah my college was paid for due to my family income situation and to pretend that my free education didn't play a huge role in my relative success is just to be a giant dick head.

I've worked hard and have had my fair share of minimum wage jobs but I have also been very fortunate in many, many ways.

Not sure where I'm going with this derail but yeah dudes who make six figures, might be worth going down your budget and trimming down to essentials just for fun and to see where you stand. You might be surprised at just how much you're unnecessarily leaking.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 9, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I saved like $1000 by booking my Kauai trip last year through Costco between the resort, car rental (Jeep upgrade!), and flights. It was great.

I do one monthly grocery trip for $5-600 and I have enough food to feed my 3 small eat-machines.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I saved like $1000 by booking my Kauai trip last year through Costco between the resort, car rental (Jeep upgrade!), and flights. It was great.

What up, Costco Kauai trip planner buddy? Although we just did the car rental part, and got an Airbnb.

Also, for someone on the fence about Costco memberships keep in mind they have a no questions asked membership refund policy. So if it isn't working out after nine months, you can get your full membership cost back.

Content: we have a good cat who likes treats, but is getting older. We would not spend $30k on this cat.

New York Times article: "How Caring for Dogs and Cats Explains Human Health Spending" http://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/upshot/how-caring-for-dogs-and-cats-explains-human-health-spending.html

The article isn't alarming, but the comment section is interesting (lots of chat about euthanizing humans):

quote:

"I remember telling our financial planner that we would need $15,000 to $20,000 per year to pay for health care for our companion animals. At that time we cared for a dog who required monthly shots for Addison's disease, a cat who required daily insulin shots and other elderly cats who required supplements including B12 injections and special diets. Each of our companion animals needed at least two vet visits per year to check blood, weight and complications from their chronic diseases which can be costly. We had knowingly adopted animals with specials needs and limited our personal spending in other areas to accommodate their needs."

quote:

I got a $2500 emergency vet bill for my cat who swallowed an embroidery needle.

quote:

What you have in veterinary medicine and human medicine these days are increasing numbers of new physicians & veterinarians entering their professions saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans. The perception that these new physicians & veterinarians are ever going to be "rich" is laughable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Content: we have a good cat who likes treats, but is getting older. We would not spend $30k on this cat.

New York Times article: "How Caring for Dogs and Cats Explains Human Health Spending" http://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/upshot/how-caring-for-dogs-and-cats-explains-human-health-spending.html

The article isn't alarming, but the comment section is interesting (lots of chat about euthanizing humans):

When I was debating how much to spend to save our dog (probable liver failure, it was messy) I visited some pet enthusiast web forums where people were spending absolutely obscene amounts of money keeping their dogs and cats alive while usually acknowledging they were now broke.

One lady complained about how pet health insurance is so much cheaper in Britain than in America. I have no idea why that'd be the case unless Brits are less likely to bankrupt themselves to save their Corgi's.

Closer to home, my co-worker paid for doggie blood transfusions, which I didn't know was even a thing but cost $800 a pop. 4 of those bought his dog an extra two months of making GBS threads on himself.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Closer to home, my co-worker paid for doggie blood transfusions, which I didn't know was even a thing but cost $800 a pop. 4 of those bought his dog an extra two months of making GBS threads on himself.

My luxury companion animal isn't a dog, but isn't making GBS threads on themselves one of their top favorite activities? BWM, GWD (ogs).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tiny Deer posted:

My luxury companion animal isn't a dog, but isn't making GBS threads on themselves one of their top favorite activities? BWM, GWD (ogs).

I had a dog that loved to sneak turds out of the cat box. GWM saved on litter and dog treats.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BWM coworker/friend 1: thinks our company stock dropping in price is good for us because "then we get more shares during ESPP purchase. if the stock goes up we get fewer shares, I want it to drop so I get lots of shares". Also someone who has nearly 100% of his savings locked up in our company stock because he believes in it so much.

BWM coworker/friend 2: MBA graduate who's too self-conscious to admit lack of knowledge in anything, says "ESPP isn't for me because stock fluctuates regularly wihch makes it either severly illiquid or a long run stock", whatever that means, despite our company and myself making it very clear "it's bought at a discount regardless of how it fluctuates, it's free money, please do this." Final conclusion of ESPP: "idk not my cup of tea. Lol I'm investing in stocks, even though you hate those :)"

and before people ask, yes, our ESPP program is 15% of income, 15% discount, has lookback provision, and 0 restrictions on when you can sell

:shrug: some people cannot be helped

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
The term rich is so skewed these days since even 7 figure earners will look at 8 figure earners and consider themselves middle class. If you don't consider yourself at least 'upper class' at $250k+ then something is seriously wrong with your expenses and yes that even applies to living in SF.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Blinky2099 posted:

BWM coworker/friend 1: thinks our company stock dropping in price is good for us because "then we get more shares during ESPP purchase. if the stock goes up we get fewer shares, I want it to drop so I get lots of shares". Also someone who has nearly 100% of his savings locked up in our company stock because he believes in it so much.

BWM coworker/friend 2: MBA graduate who's too self-conscious to admit lack of knowledge in anything, says "ESPP isn't for me because stock fluctuates regularly wihch makes it either severly illiquid or a long run stock", whatever that means, despite our company and myself making it very clear "it's bought at a discount regardless of how it fluctuates, it's free money, please do this." Final conclusion of ESPP: "idk not my cup of tea. Lol I'm investing in stocks, even though you hate those :)"

and before people ask, yes, our ESPP program is 15% of income, 15% discount, has lookback provision, and 0 restrictions on when you can sell

If you are buying the ESPP and holding for a long time, then he is right that stocks plummeting 20-years before you want to cash them in is a good thing.

If you are buying and selling immediately, then it doesn't make a big difference either way.

His portfolio diversity plan is terrible, but his instincts are actually right.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 9, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you are buying the ESPP and holding for a long time, then he is right that stocks plummeting 20-years before you want to cash them in is a good thing.
Right but I think the argument here is that there's a no-risk (assuming you can live wth the 15% paycheck deduction) way to make at least an extra 15% (before taxes) on up to 15% of your salary. With a look-back provision you can theoretically make a hell of a lot more. There's no reason (other than not being able to budget the 15% paycheck deduction) not to be doing ESPP in a "no minimum hold with look-back and/or discount" scenario.

I've had look-back prices in the past that quadrupled my 6-month contributions with zero risk. At a minimum I'm at least making 5% (the discount for my company) on every 6-month contribution and good luck beating that with a CD. If you always sell day one I don't even consider it speculating -- it's just collecting a guaranteed 5%-400% (different depending on company) on part of my salary every 6 months.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 9, 2017

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Blinky2099 posted:

Mine had similar terms, except we don't actually receive the stocks for between 7-10 days after the price is set and I don't trust my company's stock not to drop 15% in that time.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spikes32 posted:

Mine had similar terms, except we don't actually receive the stocks for between 7-10 days after the price is set and I don't trust my company's stock not to drop 15% in that time.

Still seems absolutely insane to not take it. you could probably buy puts to deleverage yourself and still end up guaranteed ahead

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Good lord you guys have some good ESPPs. I get 5% off and I have to hold them 2 years before selling.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Twerk from Home posted:

Good lord you guys have some good ESPPs. I get 5% off and I have to hold them 2 years before selling.

Wow. I don't have ESPP but if I did, and it was like that, I'd laugh at them when they told me about it.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
25% bonus up to $230 total per contribution for me ($1150 free money per year). Unfortunately we have to pay a $40 fee everytime we sell so I usually only sell once a year and then transfer the funds to a vanguard mutual fund.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Jesus christ the humblebragging ITT in the last few pages is unreal.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

25% bonus up to $230 total per contribution for me ($1150 free money per year). Unfortunately we have to pay a $40 fee everytime we sell so I usually only sell once a year and then transfer the funds to a vanguard mutual fund.

This was a real roller coaster of emotions of a post.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5mxvml/23_years_old_paid_a_bailbondsman_5k_for_my_dads/ posted:

Tl;dr Paid $5k to a bailbondsman for my dad (bail was set at $50k), he fled the country. I'm stuck with the bail. It's been 90 days since the bench warrant; if he comes back, do I still need to repay full bail amount (50k)? Location : Maryland
Hi guys; I really need some advice. I posted on r/legaladvice and they also suggested I head over here as well.
The problem: My dad, father of two, married, no legal infractions before ever, was arrested and his bail was set at $50,000. I have never ever been in this situation before, never even watched Law & Order. I paid $5,000 to a bail bondsman, and they got my dad out of jail.
He then fled the country and I don't know where he is. I know that I'm liable for the full bail repayment, but I can't pay it. I have student loans and NO assets at all. My questions I was hoping for advice about :
1) People are suggesting bankruptcy. Anyone have experience with bankruptcy they'd be willing to tell me about? A) Any hidden difficulty "no one tells you"? B) Was it truly just a clean slate? C) What were your limitations?
2) Any chance the bail people will write it off? If not, can I try and make a deal for some arbitrary number, like $20k?
3) Literally any other advice you have.
Thank you!

BWM: Bailing out your father, I guess

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

KingSlime posted:

People exaggerating their income is a good thing to remember for sure. I myself overestimate by 5k when asked partially because it's freelance and changes per year and partially because I subconsiously want to be as close to the "success spectrum" as possible. I am a few k short of my main income goal I set for myself during college, at least at this age. And I'm pretty happy about that, my monthly expenses have stayed the same so I feel like a child with too much money during payday, at least for a glorious night or two during the week.

Who asks someone how much they make?

The fact that people ITT claim they know what other people make is really weird. Who does this poo poo?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

n8r posted:

Who asks someone how much they make?

The fact that people ITT claim they know what other people make is really weird. Who does this poo poo?

Not asking and not knowing leads to people getting screwed over in salary negotiations. Another way to keep the working man down.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
BMW: me?

I'm a few weeks away from buying a new Tacoma because I want something new for once.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
My friends and I are really pretty open about how much we make. Why wouldn't we be? People who express outrage at such boorish behavior never really have any good reason to back up their stance on why we shouldnt talk about finances and income, though I often hear that it's "impolite," "really weird," or some other silly abstract term.

I don't have any weird hang ups about sharing my salary or earnings, as it's valuable information that others can reference. It especially helps people with my skillset, my god people are hilariously underpaid all the time (lol but the market knows best rite?). I know I used this type of info in order to figure out where I want to get and how to get there.

It's only the older farts who are insecure about muuuh financial privacy (or privacy in general).

E: Or you come from a social circle of people who don't have to worry about day to day survival. People who enjoy a certain level of comfort or luxury start creating all sorts of social rules when they don't gotta waste energy worrying about their next meal I guess.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 9, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Business in the US has spent generations building a stigma around sharing salary information because sharing that information helps labor and cuts into the profits of the stakeholders. Many places will fire for it or at least make it sound like you'll get fired for it despite doing so being illegal, because how are you going to prove in court that that's the reason (if you can even afford to bring the case to trial)?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Lysandus posted:

I'm a few weeks away from buying a new Tacoma because I want something new for once.

Considering that Toyota trucks will still be running after the heat death of the universe, I don't see that as BWM unless it's a lease-to-own.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Lysandus posted:

Buy a 2014 with 25,000 miles instead.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wouldnt buy anything before 2016, that was the previous generaiton so it'd be harder /expensive to get replacement parts for it. 2016 was the first year they did a refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
"Regular people don't like 'rich people'. I don't want to be disliked. Therefore, I am not a 'rich person', regardless of my seven-figure salary and eight-figure net worth."

Simple as that.

• Locked thread