Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Badingading posted:

If not then unless it's a date of some in-universe significance it's likely the date that the demo build was compiled, given that it would take at least 1-2 weeks to get the build tested and certified for public release.

Playing the demo last week inspired me to go back and finish the original Nier (previously I'd gotten about as far as Kaine joining my party) and drat, the second playthrough onward hit me like a hammer. Can't wait to see what soul-crushing madness awaits in this game.
If you felt bad about Beepy, don't, he turns back on and becomes the space robot pope messiah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you felt bad about Beepy, don't, he turns back on and becomes the space robot pope messiah.

At least someone got a happy ending :unsmith:

How important is it to play/watch an LP of Drakengard 3 in catching up for Automata? I've already gone through The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard 1 and it's my understanding from earlier in this thread that 2 is fairly irrelevant to the Nier timeline.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Badingading posted:

How important is it to play/watch an LP of Drakengard 3 in catching up for Automata? I've already gone through The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard 1 and it's my understanding from earlier in this thread that 2 is fairly irrelevant to the Nier timeline.

It couldn't hurt to give Id's LP a look. D3's an interesting game, and there's no telling how/if it'll be connected to Nier 2. It does some weird stuff with alternate timelines that leaves its connections a little vague.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Badingading posted:

Hard to really say. I mean, it takes place 10 thousand years ago in an alternate universe version of a parallel world. Any connections would be pretty tenuous at best.

That said, there will probably be some references. We know the Watchers are coming back in some form, and their origins were explored in DOD3. And at least one character is immortal enough and relevant enough to the plot of this game that they will probably be popping up.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Until you kill him in Automata of course.

I jest but I do hope he appears. He does meet the androids at the end of the novella

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I had a dream that there was a jungle island level and you got Donkey Kong as a party member and when you finished the level the camera zoomed out to show it was DK Island all along. Also all the DK:64 music had Nier's vocals in it.

How can the actual game even compete now

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Visually this game is pretty uninspired and dull, but it's still going to be great fun to play.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I had a dream that there was a jungle island level and you got Donkey Kong as a party member and when you finished the level the camera zoomed out to show it was DK Island all along. Also all the DK:64 music had Nier's vocals in it.

How can the actual game even compete now

drat I'm legitimately sad I'll never play that.

How about a Switch version and some exclusive content huh Nintendo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

clone on the phone posted:

Visually this game is pretty uninspired and dull

no

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I really like the muted colour palette actually. It's quite elegant combined with all the monochrome HUD and menu design.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It couldn't hurt to give Id's LP a look. D3's an interesting game, and there's no telling how/if it'll be connected to Nier 2. It does some weird stuff with alternate timelines that leaves its connections a little vague.
I'd actually kinda like it if they connected. Accord's big comeback.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

As much as I like the bizarre continuum of the games I always prefer New Interesting Thing to throwbacks and overt connections

Any idea how I can claim the pre-order theme? I didn't seem to get it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This was a fun demo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/818064875456843780

lol

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 8, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nina posted:

That's the interesting part. It's supposed to be humans and aliens fighting a proxy war but we haven't seen confirmed humans or aliens.

Anyone have any idea what word they even used for the aliens in the YoRHa play to confirm if it's actually like space aliens or alien in the sense of something of foreign origin

Could be the Watchers are the aliens. After all, what would humanity think if suddenly space angels and giant flying babies attack? Clearly humans would call those things aliens or bio-weapons made by aliens.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

double lol

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Libluini posted:

Could be the Watchers are the aliens. After all, what would humanity think if suddenly space angels and giant flying babies attack? Clearly humans would call those things aliens or bio-weapons made by aliens.

I think Fire of Prometheus had a physical description of them but for some reason the full translation disappeared from the internet

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Amazon in Europe has an exclusive version of the game available for preorder. However, it just comes with a plain black t-shirt featuring an image of Emil's face (the kind of thing you could probably get ten of off Etsy or Redbubble) and costs about £15 more. Kinda disappointing, but maybe someone out there will want one?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Amazon in Europe has an exclusive version of the game available for preorder. However, it just comes with a plain black t-shirt featuring an image of Emil's face (the kind of thing you could probably get ten of off Etsy or Redbubble) and costs about £15 more. Kinda disappointing, but maybe someone out there will want one?

I actually already preordered it, Amazon is usually my best source for game preorders especially if I want them to arive on time.

Free t-shirt, nice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I actually already preordered it, Amazon is usually my best source for game preorders especially if I want them to arive on time.

Free t-shirt, nice.

How is the t-shirt free if it costs you 15 bucks?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Libluini posted:

How is the t-shirt free if it costs you 15 bucks?

Don't ruin it for him.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Well I was trying to be funny. Also it wasn't mentioned above but it's actually the day-1 release version with a t-shirt.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pc version
when

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Already pre-ordered digitally I'm afraid. I learned my lesson after I got FFXV like four days late.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Nina posted:

Already pre-ordered digitally I'm afraid. I learned my lesson after I got FFXV like four days late.

At least you got your copy in the end. My copy evaporated in the post as far as SE were concerned. They did at least give me my money back but it's the last time I order physical from them.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I work down the road from one Game and live down the road from another. Looks like they're offering a Steelbook edition (probably the same one in the Black Box pack) for an extra £5, so that's that choice made.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Libluini posted:

I mean, I kind of wish Yoko Taro would make a game set between Drakengard and Nier in the vein of magical apocalypse X-Com. The backstory between the two games is such that you see direct escalations between the humans and the watchers in stages. At first with people turning into pillars of salt and becoming red eyed zombies fighting a traditional military. Then as the WCS spreads and you see bigger, more terrifying monsters, the humans counter with research into Maso and the dragon to introduce vaccines to slow the rate of people getting salty and preliminary experiments with magic. Then as poo poo hits the fan you start seeing replicants immune to the Watcher's corruption being led by androids and actual biological magical weapons being developed like Emil. The final stages is holding back the unending horde of the legion while you work to gestalt the remnants of humanity to prevent the legion's influence from spreading further.

I'm going to go ahead and take a guess now that ol' Red Eyes is going to make an appearance at some point in this game. If humans are back in some limited degree it stands to reason that The Watchers are going to try and exert influence to try and bring them under control again. The ultimate Yoko Taro twist would be that the protagonists in this game wear those blindfolds because there's a glowing pair of watcher eyes underneath it and/or even if you had noble intentions you still wind being a force of destruction kind of like Nier.

Edit: vvvvv Lalalalala, The Watchers, they dance! Lalalalala

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 9, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm going to go ahead and take a guess now that ol' Red Eyes is going to make an appearance at some point in this game. If humans are back in some limited degree it stands to reason that The Watchers are going to try and exert influence to try and bring them under control again. The ultimate Yoko Taro twist would be that the protagonists in this game wear those blindfolds because there's a glowing pair of watcher eyes underneath it and/or even if you had noble intentions you still wind being a force of destruction kind of like Nier.

Well I mean

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, I kind of wish Yoko Taro would make a game set between Drakengard and Nier in the vein of magical apocalypse X-Com. The backstory between the two games is such that you see direct escalations between the humans and the watchers in stages. At first with people turning into pillars of salt and becoming red eyed zombies fighting a traditional military. Then as the WCS spreads and you see bigger, more terrifying monsters, the humans counter with research into Maso and the dragon to introduce vaccines to slow the rate of people getting salty and preliminary experiments with magic. Then as poo poo hits the fan you start seeing replicants immune to the Watcher's corruption being led by androids and actual biological magical weapons being developed like Emil. The final stages is holding back the unending horde of the legion while you work to gestalt the remnants of humanity to prevent the legion's influence from spreading further.

I've always said, I want to see a CoD-like game that starts off all gung-ho, then about halfway through, your character dies horribly, the team back at base is slowly going mad, some committing suicide, others joining this new cult that's sprung up, secretly subverting the project. Then the rest of the game has you playing a bunch of terrified teenage soldiers barely able to hold back the Legion. I have an idea of a game that begins triumphant, and by the end, you feel utterly crushed and hopeless. Fun!

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

chiasaur11 posted:

Except Wyverns.

Filthy job stealing bastards.

Mikhail, truly, is the best.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly didn't know that came from D2, I just figured D3 established that! Shows how much I missed not playing that awful game.
If I recall correctly, D3 established that dragons are the only ones who can oppose the flower. Where the flower came from is pretty much unknown, but given the similarities from Ending D and D1's Ending E, you can assume that the Watchers/Angels and the flower are directly related. Essentially, the flower is kind of the primary antagonist throughout since One's brother is never killed, and goes on to form the Cult of the Watchers and whatnot. Legna's intentions in D2 make me wonder what exactly happened to result in the dragons being cast down from their former position.

Aumanor posted:

Wait, wasn't it how they got rid of Maso from Nier's world? Sent it away to another dimension which happened to be Drakengard's past?
Nah. The Gestalt/Replicant project was basically designed to deal with the Maso problem, which ended up being a global threat when Shinjuku was nuked. We still don't know where Cathedral City came from or what triggered the cataclysm prior to D3.

Nina posted:

I think Fire of Prometheus had a physical description of them but for some reason the full translation disappeared from the internet
I haven't read it yet, but you can read The Fire of Prometheus here.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Turn A posted:

I haven't read it yet, but you can read The Fire of Prometheus here.

That translation is missing chapters unfortunately

Nina fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 9, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Turn A posted:

Nah. The Gestalt/Replicant project was basically designed to deal with the Maso problem, which ended up being a global threat when Shinjuku was nuked. We still don't know where Cathedral City came from or what triggered the cataclysm prior to D3.

To be fair, in the Nier timeline replicants are gathering all the Maso so that the androids/grimoirs can enact rituals to send it Somewhere Else. Where that somewhere else could be is anyone's best guess. I would reckon if Nier Automata goes more into depth on the Cult of the Watchers we could find out where all the extra rampant magical energy is being sent off to.

I personally love the theory that it's being sent to Drakenguard's past and that Maso/The Watcher is theoretically doing a Figure 8 through time and space between Drakengard's world and Nier's

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I know it's only tangentially related at best, but I guess Scalebound is now officially dead in the water?

Was anyone actually looking forward to that?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I know it's only tangentially related at best, but I guess Scalebound is now officially dead in the water?

The people desperately clinging to any justification for buying an xbone.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was in the way that I was excited to see Platinum entirely in control of an open world RPG. I wasn't much of a fan of the protagonist.... But what do I know? I didn't like Bayonetta at first either?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I saw that one E3 trailer that looked neat. Were later trailers/reviews about it bad or something?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Brainamp posted:

I saw that one E3 trailer that looked neat. Were later trailers/reviews about it bad or something?

the gameplay trailers looked really jaggy, apparently the development has been very rough.

If anything I'd guess it was some screw up on Micrsoft's end, this isn't the first time they've ruined a partnership like this

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nah. Looked really subpar during gameplay showings.

Watch the assets get reused for Drakengard 4. :frogbon:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

chumbler posted:

The people desperately clinging to any justification for buying an xbone.

You rang?

At least I have a nice controller :unsmith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scalebound gameplay they showed looked like total garbage.