Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Astroman posted:

But it irks me that we suffer under a very inconsistent schedule where every few years the show is basically off the air due to budgetary problems, many of which would be offset if some of the millions of dollars in licensing and merch revenue could go back into the show's budget.
licensing & merchandising revenue aren't ring-fenced for the show, but a rising tide raises all boats.

if the problems stem from mismanagement then throwing more money, any amount of money, at them won't solve the issue. the bills will expand to use up the excess and now you're back at square one, albeit with a shinier output in that period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Just realised that William Hartnell and David Bowie shared the same birthday. Makes sense when you think about it.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love Benny, but The Big Bang Generation is not good. If that's your first exposure to that side of the universe and cast, then it's worth pointing out how out of character some of them are (and given that TBBG was meant to be something of a send off for those characters, that's pretty egregious). But, then again, if that's your first exposure to those characters, you'll probably not notice.

Oh, that's a bummer. I only listen to Benny stuff when it's properly under the Who banner (the novel adaptations including her and the New Adventures of... sets) so her supporting cast being out of character isn't really a problem for me personally, but if the thing as a whole is kind of naff then yeah, I suppose I'd be better off giving it a miss. Shame, Twelve and Benny sounded like it would be a fun match, and the story being set in Sydney was an extra little bit of novelty as an Australian.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen and can anyone recommend The Omega Factor, which was a BBC science-fiction drama from the early 1970s which co-starred Louise Jameson?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

Just realised that William Hartnell and David Bowie shared the same birthday. Makes sense when you think about it.

Oh, that's a bummer. I only listen to Benny stuff when it's properly under the Who banner (the novel adaptations including her and the New Adventures of... sets) so her supporting cast being out of character isn't really a problem for me personally, but if the thing as a whole is kind of naff then yeah, I suppose I'd be better off giving it a miss. Shame, Twelve and Benny sounded like it would be a fun match, and the story being set in Sydney was an extra little bit of novelty as an Australian.

I've listened to it, and Benny herself seems fairly in character, albeit maybe in slightly higher spirits than we normally see her.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm still waiting for the inevitable Benny/River team up. :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Astroman posted:

Editorial control, keeping it's message more liberal and more progressive? What if the govt goes hard right?

The BBC has survived Conservative and labour governments without a significant shifting of tone. As long as it's around in its current form it'll likely tend towards the left regardless of who's in Downing Street.

The risk of a hard right government is in it closing the beeb down entirely rather than imposing editorial control.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Doctor Who under a commercial broadcaster would always be vulnerable. One of the main reasons the attempted American co-production didn't work was the potential cost of a show that changes locations every week, has a small regular cast, and doesn't have enough standing sets to make bottle shows a reliable thing. On a given Star Trek show they can always just write an episode which is people on the starship dealing with some anomaly, DW basically did that once- with Inside the Spaceship, which is a fun little hour of television but which also pretty much exhausted all the potential for such stories. It would always be an expensive show. How big it can get is limited by the BBC not being allowed to touch Worldwide's merchandising money, but that's both a curse and a blessing- it's probably never going to be so costly that it needs absolutely smashing ratings in order to justify its continued existence.

It is always going to be tricky to make, and I feel like the BBC as a non-commercial broadcaster tolerates the delays a little better than most. If they had a weaker spring in 2016, so be it.

Now, under the BBC they've had to play it pretty conservatively, make no mistake. The whole first season of the revival has all sorts of cut corners- they never visit an alien planet, the space station set is re-used over three episodes, there's a lot of focus on Rose and her family so they can shoot a lot of stuff at the council estate, Jackie and Mickey and Jack are all semi-regulars who get re-used, etc. But even bringing it back at all was a gamble- especially on Saturday teatime which was considered absolutely dead.

The show as it is now, still quite popular and selling lots of merch and so on, would probably do well for a while on a commercial network, but I feel like the instant there was a change in management somebody would be saying, "This is costing us a lot of money, and it's a pain to produce, how much do we really need this?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The show as it is now, still quite popular and selling lots of merch and so on, would probably do well for a while on a commercial network, but I feel like the instant there was a change in management somebody would be saying, "This is costing us a lot of money, and it's a pain to produce, how much do we really need this?"

Or even worse,"Let's start making suggestions on how to help it. Like a sarcastic kid character who is constantly making quips and talking back to the Doctor! Or maybe we get rid of the TARDIS and make it a crime procedural where the Doctor lives in LA and helps the police solve cases!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Or maybe we get rid of the TARDIS and make it a crime procedural where the Doctor lives in LA and helps the police solve cases!"

I mean, I liked the Third Doctor, J-rule.

I thought you did too I guess I was wrong

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

I mean, I liked the Third Doctor, J-rule.

I thought you did too I guess I was wrong

The Third Doctor era may have been set mostly in England within the same (ill-defined) timeframe but it was about as far from being a crime-procedural as you can get.

It was Quatermass :getin:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Like a sarcastic kid character who is constantly making quips and talking back to the Doctor!

Bragging about mutant healing factor for twisted ankles and asking to pass the "sodium chlooowiide" doesn't count as backtalk, either. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

The Third Doctor era may have been set mostly in England within the same (ill-defined) timeframe but it was about as far from being a crime-procedural as you can get.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good Lord the British made some gloriously insane stuff in the late 60s/early 70s :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Good Lord the British made some gloriously insane stuff in the late 60s/early 70s :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Every time I see that name I still, after all these years, think it's missing an 'R.'

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Every time I see that name I still, after all these years, think it's missing an 'R.'

No it's just missing the tapes for the final four episodes of the first serial :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fil5000 posted:

The BBC has survived Conservative and labour governments without a significant shifting of tone

This is not the case.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Twelve and Benny are quite fun together, but yeah it's not great a story. It just sorta...ends. And I was "Oh. Is that it? Oh". Lisa Bowerman's on top form as usual though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pesky Splinter posted:

Twelve and Benny are quite fun together, but yeah it's not great a story. It just sorta...ends. And I was "Oh. Is that it? Oh". Lisa Bowerman's on top form as usual though.

That's a bummer. Suppose I'll just go with Jago and Litefoot. Or get the set of audio original readings from Matt's era. Or something else. I dunno...

Elsewhere, I've never really bothered much with the Short Trips range but September and October's releases pretty much have me

7.09. A HEART ON BOTH SIDES posted:

After her medical work on Terminus, Nyssa is now the controller of a hospital ship, the Traken. As the universe burns in the crossfire of the Time War, she and her assistant travel to a planet close to Gallifrey where they are needed more than ever. A long time ago, Nyssa knew a Time Lord and understood his people. But it seems they can change...

7.10 ALL HANDS ON DECK posted:

Everyone Susan Campbell cared about has gone. Most of them died in the second Dalek invasion, and her grandfather never visits. She's living in what used to be Coal Hill School, helping Earth rebuild again.

Then, one night, she's called away to help with an emergency. A piece of appropriated Dalek technology is malfunctioning, and everyone's afraid of what it might do...

This is just the first in a sequence of predicaments facing Susan - and the connection between them will shape the rest of her life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The latter is by Eddie Robson too!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I love this silly comic that none of you read.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

vegetables posted:

Late to the party, what is this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thrawn527 posted:

Late to the party, what is this?

A time traveler is never late to the party.

Doctor Who, the Tenth Doctor Year 3 #1.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rhyno posted:

A time traveler is never late to the party.

Doctor Who, the Tenth Doctor Year 3 #1.

Thank you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
THat's supposed to be 10?

He looks like 11

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

vegetables posted:

Thank you for reminding me! YOU BOUGHT ME COMICS! I'll post pics when I get home.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Burkion posted:

He looks like 11

The visuals are far worse than the stories, in time-honoured Doctor Who fashion.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Burkion posted:

He looks like 11

Yeah he looks like and is dressed like 11. That's weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's the Eleventh, I'm just tires and sad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Big Finish finally get the frog-mouthed rapist

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Astroman posted:

What are the benefits if Doctor Who stays fully under the control of a govt broadcasting company?

Surely not protection from cancellation due to ratings, as that didn't help in the 80s.

Revenue from it going to fund other BBC productions? But that wasn't why it was revived, in fact there was no guarantee whatsover when it was brought back it wouldn't flop.

Editorial control, keeping it's message more liberal and more progressive? What if the govt goes hard right?

I'm largely playing devil's advocate here, since I'd not necessarily want to see Doctor Who go fully private because then it could be cancelled even quicker. But it irks me that we suffer under a very inconsistent schedule where every few years the show is basically off the air due to budgetary problems, many of which would be offset if some of the millions of dollars in licensing and merch revenue could go back into the show's budget.

As a former employee who has a mortgage and would like to continue working there, I can't say that DW is frequently "not great", but, you know. But being a BBC show there isn't really any commercial pressure to give it the chop if the viewers drop, it can go back and be formatted and tweaked and brought back hopefully for the better. Whether that happens in practice you can decide, but it's protected status virtually lets it be whatever it is for as long as it is (cancellation is the whim of the exec as opposed to advertisers or revenue pressure). At this stage, DW helps pay for other shows (rather than the other way round) because it's phenomenally successful globally. It's not really a risk any more, and now Top Gear is dead it must be in the top 5 shows that puts money back into the Beeb than takes out.

It would be nice if there was more money, of course. I'm back on Black Mirror and I can spend in a morning what I'd spend in a month on DW, but I don't think that would change the production schedule much. Bear in mind we wrapped S9 in Oct and we were back on S10 in May, with production occurring at a script/development level the whole time. It is a ballache of a show to make, and you can make it quicker if you throw a lot more people/money at it, but I suspect from a BBC standpoint, there's not much need to - the show is beloved by the media here, the fanbase stays consistent with all the tie ins, and they seem to get good casting based on goodwill/it being an institution. If they production values were twice as high as they are now with more money, I don't think it'd change the end product in any meaningful way. Yes you could produce more, but DW is a fairly gruelling show and I think it's probably quite good for the talent to have long breaks in order to keep them on the show.

In short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrttt1Tpug

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

I think it's probably quite good for the talent to have long breaks in order to keep them on the show.

I agree with this wholeheartedly... though we're still burning through Doctors at a sadly speedy rate :(

For anybody who doesn't know, Three Men in a Bathtub is NOT an exaggeration and the show ran for something like 30+ years :allears:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

I agree with this wholeheartedly... though we're still burning through Doctors at a sadly speedy rate :(

But not ahistorical

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It would be nice to be able to like posts. :)

By the way, how much roughly does an episode cost to make on average? I've heard £800k (around the time S8 was coming out, I think), but I'm not sure if that's too high, too low or about right.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

echoplex posted:

As a former employee who has a mortgage and would like to continue working there, I can't say that DW is frequently "not great", but, you know. But being a BBC show there isn't really any commercial pressure to give it the chop if the viewers drop, it can go back and be formatted and tweaked and brought back hopefully for the better. Whether that happens in practice you can decide, but it's protected status virtually lets it be whatever it is for as long as it is (cancellation is the whim of the exec as opposed to advertisers or revenue pressure). At this stage, DW helps pay for other shows (rather than the other way round) because it's phenomenally successful globally. It's not really a risk any more, and now Top Gear is dead it must be in the top 5 shows that puts money back into the Beeb than takes out.

It would be nice if there was more money, of course. I'm back on Black Mirror and I can spend in a morning what I'd spend in a month on DW, but I don't think that would change the production schedule much. Bear in mind we wrapped S9 in Oct and we were back on S10 in May, with production occurring at a script/development level the whole time. It is a ballache of a show to make, and you can make it quicker if you throw a lot more people/money at it, but I suspect from a BBC standpoint, there's not much need to - the show is beloved by the media here, the fanbase stays consistent with all the tie ins, and they seem to get good casting based on goodwill/it being an institution. If they production values were twice as high as they are now with more money, I don't think it'd change the end product in any meaningful way. Yes you could produce more, but DW is a fairly gruelling show and I think it's probably quite good for the talent to have long breaks in order to keep them on the show.

In short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrttt1Tpug

Yeah but they stole a year off me!!

Nah seriously I love the show, if they need breaks like this to make it better then I can't complain, and thank you for your insights into the making of it (and that secret Santa gift from the set a couple years back, it's not gone on eBay :) )

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not sure if it's because there is SOOOOO long between seasons, if it is because it is still basically adaptations of existing material, or because Moffat and Gatiss are just more excited about working on it, or some combination of all of those... but I've loved the latest season of Sherlock so far and for the most part it's amazing well-made/edited.

Toby Jones (The Dream Lord) played a Jimmy Saville inspired monster last week and he was fantastic.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not sure if it's because there is SOOOOO long between seasons, if it is because it is still basically adaptations of existing material, or because Moffat and Gatiss are just more excited about working on it, or some combination of all of those... but I've loved the latest season of Sherlock so far and for the most part it's amazing well-made/edited.

Toby Jones (The Dream Lord) played a Jimmy Saville inspired monster last week and he was fantastic.

I like it a lot too. I think my personal favorite moment in this season (so far) is Mrs Hudson just tearing Mycroft and his gang a new one.

"Get out of my house, you reptile".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thunderfinger posted:

I like it a lot too. I think my personal favorite moment in this season (so far) is Mrs Hudson just tearing Mycroft and his gang a new one.

"Get out of my house, you reptile".

"If you stay here, you're saying you have no soul."
Everybody leaves but a confused Mycroft

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

For anybody who doesn't know, Three Men in a Bathtub is NOT an exaggeration and the show ran for something like 30+ years :allears:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8033577/Rub-a-dub-dub-three-gay-men-in-a-tub.html

It's proof of RTD's Big Gay Agenda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no, that's a DIFFERENT well-known British thing involving three men in a bathtub!

• Locked thread