Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

A Brock led team with a great defense just beat New England last season. New England should obviously be heavily favored at home, but come on. The Texans aren't the Browns.
Man you really are Patriots Kawalimus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

do you actually think it will be close or are you doing a thing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A Brock led team with a great defense just beat New England last season. New England should obviously be heavily favored at home, but come on. The Texans aren't the Browns.

The thing is, the Texans aren't a great defense though. They're good at limiting TE production and starting WR's, but average at covering slot guys and nearly the worst at covering RB's in the passing game... which I mean woof when going against the Pats.

They're also average against the run, and considering what their line looks like, means we'll probably be seeing a ton of Lewis / White in this game running outside

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Jags gonna hire Marrone lol

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Intruder posted:

That has to be the hugest line in playoff history

e: And the over/under is only 44.5 lol

Widest ever in playoff history is apparently Super Bowl XXIX, SF favored over San Diego by 19.

E. Biggest upset Jets over Colts in SB III, naturally. 18 point dogs.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ehud posted:

do you actually think it will be close or are you doing a thing

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think NE wins.

But I don't think it will be some 2+ score blowout.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
N: Here's some poo poo: The Texans-Raiders game not only beat last year's same time-slot wildcard game for ratings, it also beat the Lions-Seahawks game. To no one's surprise, the FOX Sunday game between the Packers and Giants was the big winner of the weekend in terms of ratings and viewership.

Raiders @ Texans: 26.9M
Lions @ Seahawks: 21.9M
Dolphins @ Steelers: ~27.5 (estimated)
NYGiants @ Packers: 34.3M

https://sportstvratings.com/mixed-ratings-bag-for-nfl-wild-card-saturday/7258/

V: I'm actually pretty surprised by this, though part of it is driven by the size of the markets. The Texans game averaged a 31 rating across Houston/SF+Oakland, meaning that on average across both DMAs, 31 percent of households with TVs watched the game. You can see a similar effect with the Giants and the Steelers.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sucker bet.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sean10mm posted:

The Steelers are so hard to draw a bead on because they look like they should be dominant... but they just kind of haven't been? Other than dunking on the Chiefs in week 2 43-14 I guess. They've been good, of course, but not as good as they seem like they should be.

They could win the Super Bowl or crap the bed, and neither would particularly surprise me.
Sometimes I feel like Tomlin likes to lose to lovely teams just to put this in the head of opponents that the Steelers are not as good as they appear. That or its just hubris and lovely injury luck and not the best defense in the league

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think NE wins.

But I don't think it will be some 2+ score blowout.

I don't understand how you think they are going to score any points.

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

Brock get knocked out of the game and Tom Savage leads a couple of scoring drives.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ehud posted:

The Pats defense is very not good. But whew Brock Osweiler sure is a cure for any pass defense woes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Brock is literally the worst starting QB in football this season (not including spot starters, or maybe even including them). Like you could probably pop Case Keenum in this offense and it'd improve drastically

There's always a chance he has some weird good game like he did against the Bears or Packers (and lol he only threw for 202 yards against the Packers, but no picks and two TD) but I wouldn't count on it

The dude got yanked out of a game against the loving Jaguars defense

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 9, 2017

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
According to McCarthy, Jordy has a shot to play if he practices Saturday, but I'm guessing it's just to make the Cowboys guess.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Brock is literally the worst starting QB in football this season (not including spot starters, or maybe even including them). Like you could probably pop Case Keenum in this offense and it'd improve drastically

There's always a chance he has some weird good game like he did against the Bears or Packers (and lol he only threw for 202 yards against the Packers, but no picks and two TD) but I wouldn't count on it

if they'd been giving him first team reps, I'd say the team is actually better off starting Weeden.

Although I'd still take Osweiler over Lindley, who for my money owns the title of "worst ever playoff starting QB"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I will say that if Brock plays a clean game like he did against Oakland and has similar production, I could see the Texans having a 50-60% chance of covering

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

we just need our own tom brady - kawalimus from houston, texas

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
There's no "Texans win" scenario that doesn't involve multiple defensive scores and a Tom Brady injury

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's no "Texans win" scenario that doesn't involve multiple defensive scores and a Tom Brady injury

Please,. I can only get so erect

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

hifi posted:

we just need our own tom brady - kawalimus from houston, texas

I'd settle for our own Alex Smith

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Texans already got a chance at the Patriots on a third-string QB and, well, they gave up 27 points anyway.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The only possible saving grace is that the defense is playing significantly better than it was the first time they played the Patriots

Watt played in that game but he was already broken by that time, supposedly he reinjured his back in the KC game but played anyway. AJ Bouye and Wilfork are also playing a lot better than they were at that point. But Kevin White is the team's best CB arguably and he's out so :shrug:

The offensive line was a lot more in flux at that point too, not that it's a very good line right now though

Both starting ILBs are poor in coverage so like Kalli said, yikes when it comes to RBs running routes

e: Plus, you know, Brady's playing in this one

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 9, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Intruder posted:

That has to be the hugest line in playoff history

e: And the over/under is only 44.5 lol

Not quite, but it's close:

quote:

Biggest lines in NFL playoff history (courtesy pro-football-reference.com):

San Diego Chargers (+19) vs. San Francisco 49ers, Super Bowl XXVIII

New York Jets (+18) vs. Baltimore Colts, Super Bowl III

Arizona Cardinals (+16.5) at Minnesota Vikings, 1998 divisional playoff

Houston Texans (+16) at New England Patriots, 2016 divisional playoff

Chicago Bears (+15.5) at San Francisco 49ers, 1994 divisional playoff

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/patriots-texans-spread-line-biggest-nfl-playoff-history-point-spread-afc-playoff-time-010817

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Savage has cleared the concussion protocol so maybe O'Brien will have Brock on a short leash

He drat well should

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My dream scenario is the pats win the super bowl and another huge cheating scandal breaks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tom Brady caught up in illicit shirt printing scandal

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

Savage has cleared the concussion protocol so maybe O'Brien will have Brock on a short leash

He drat well should

Is BoB's job still in danger?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I really doubt it ever was

Wasn't that just Glazer speculating?

Really need to get a better offensive coordinator next season though. The playcalling has been atrocious, both under Godsey and when BoB took over. Could argue that Brock's limitations put a shackle on playcalling though

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ehud posted:

Nuk fuller and Miller are good at football

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I started watching the television show dexter and i decided he looks like tom Brady

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Metapod posted:

yes if only there was somebody available to utilize their talents

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Metapod posted:

Nuk has as big a catch radius as any WR in the league but Brock seems to find ways to miss it regardless

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

I started watching the television show dexter and i decided he looks like tom Brady

Make sure you stop after season four.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Intruder posted:

Nuk has as big a catch radius as any WR in the league but Brock seems to find ways to miss it regardless

Tfw you are taller than your wrs catch radius <<<<<<<<<

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Make sure you stop after season four.

I might not even keep watching. My wife doesn't like it so far. She loved Hannibal :shrug:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Dexter sucks.

Watch Black Sails, Ehud

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Hot Diggity! posted:

Jordy spent the night in the hospital. Not yet ruled out for Sunday.

You don't need ribs or a non-bruised spleen to play football, do you?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

Dexter sucks.

Watch Black Sails, Ehud

That's been on my list forever. Maybe I'll try Black Sails next if my wife can't get into Dexter.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quick reads are out and the 4 winning QB's are the top 4: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2017/wild-card-quick-reads

Connor Cook: Cook's first pass of the second quarter was a completion to Michael Crabtree for a gain of 14 yards and a first down, his third first down of the game -- and his last until early in the fourth quarter. In between, in more than 30 minutes of football, he went 2-of-15 for 17 yards with two sacks that lost 16 yards. Yes, 1 net yard in 19 dropbacks. He had virtually no luck on deep balls, going 1-of-10 for 20 yards and an interception, with an 11th deep ball resulting in a DPI for 25 yards. He converted only four of his 18 third- and fourth-down plays, going 5-of-16 for 49 yards with the one DPI, one sack, and three interceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Quick reads are out and the 4 winning QB's are the top 4: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2017/wild-card-quick-reads

Connor Cook: Cook's first pass of the second quarter was a completion to Michael Crabtree for a gain of 14 yards and a first down, his third first down of the game -- and his last until early in the fourth quarter. In between, in more than 30 minutes of football, he went 2-of-15 for 17 yards with two sacks that lost 16 yards. Yes, 1 net yard in 19 dropbacks. He had virtually no luck on deep balls, going 1-of-10 for 20 yards and an interception, with an 11th deep ball resulting in a DPI for 25 yards. He converted only four of his 18 third- and fourth-down plays, going 5-of-16 for 49 yards with the one DPI, one sack, and three interceptions

How many drops did Crabtree and Cooper have though? They didn't do Cook any favors.

I think between the Lions, Giants and Raiders I saw more drops this weekend than I did in a regular season weekend.

• Locked thread