Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Zero One posted:

Follow up: I finally got him with my third insane ruler. Then some bastards killed him! Gillerhoof, NOOOOOOOO! :(

You can make him Anti-Pope, press the claim, win the war, and then have a horse as Pope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

What is this map mod?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580608756

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Man, normally the Black Death doesn't wreck my realms too bad when it comes through but it nearly Game Over'd me in a game I'm playing right now.

Started as Haesteinn in the 876 start, became Norman, formed an empire out of Brittany, Ireland, Denmark, France, and Sweden; reformed Germanic; been raiding all over the place. The plague hit around 1076 and nuked my awesome 45-year-old Genius ruler, his son, and _all four_ of his other male heirs. The crown passed to a daughter with awesome stewardship who I had married to a very distant relative on a misclick, but that actually saved me.

I've played as her now for about thirty years. She's got a bunch of well-raised male and female heirs, and she's become a Ravager. I got bored and started dueling her rivals and she's just wrecked house. She just became infirm and will probably die soon, but man her reign has been a fun one.

Love what this game throws at you, still having fun like 1k hours in.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I honestly would love there to be content in this game linked to an ability to play an unlanded character.

I often play games where I start as some obscure historical count and see what I can do. I'd love being able to do the same, with the added difficulty of getting someone, somewhere to land me or press a claim for me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My dream for CK3 is that they expand the gameplay to courtiers like Romance of the Three Kingdoms. And then I remember playing a schmuck in ROTTK is kind of awful and I hope the developers protect me from my dream.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
So, in HoI4 you can choose to keep playing as the nation you release if you release held territory. So for instance, the UK could release Egypt and keep playing as Egypt rather than the UK.

I'd like to be able to do this in CK2 (I mean, I know you can with tag switching, but I mean officially). If I grant a member of my dynasty a major holding or independence, I'd like the option to keep playing as them rather than my current character. It would probably be really easy to game, but it would also be a neat way to tie into cadet houses, or to keep playing after a long time (if you've taken over half of Europe, release the nations and keep playing as one of them instead of your uber emperor)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ZombieLenin posted:

I honestly would love there to be content in this game linked to an ability to play an unlanded character.

I often play games where I start as some obscure historical count and see what I can do. I'd love being able to do the same, with the added difficulty of getting someone, somewhere to land me or press a claim for me.

It sounds fun but can you imagine how much effort the game would spend trying to sort out those sorts of decisions for every unlanded courtier in the world?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kaza42 posted:

So, in HoI4 you can choose to keep playing as the nation you release if you release held territory. So for instance, the UK could release Egypt and keep playing as Egypt rather than the UK.

I'd like to be able to do this in CK2 (I mean, I know you can with tag switching, but I mean officially). If I grant a member of my dynasty a major holding or independence, I'd like the option to keep playing as them rather than my current character. It would probably be really easy to game, but it would also be a neat way to tie into cadet houses, or to keep playing after a long time (if you've taken over half of Europe, release the nations and keep playing as one of them instead of your uber emperor)

If you don't play on Ironman you can just console switch to that character

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

What about Zoroastrians?

(And West African pagans I suppose but at this point I kind of expect them to be forgotten wrt new content.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What about Zoroastrians?

(And West African pagans I suppose but at this point I kind of expect them to be forgotten wrt new content.)
*faint whisper of CK2 devs copying christianity events and running s/Lucifer/Ahriman*

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In the thread it's clarified that Zoroastrians get Lucifer's Own too.

It'd be disappointing, but nobody cares about Zoroastrians.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Find, replace "Lucifer" with "Angra Mainyu"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is Glitterhoof's competence a bug? He seems remarkably capable for someone who can't talk or stand on two legs.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is Glitterhoof's competence a bug? He seems remarkably capable for someone who can't talk or stand on two legs.

It's mostly that they didn't bother to code special exceptions to every event involving your chancellor, so he functions precisely as normal for a chancellor despite being a horse (and generally having low stats I think). You can handwave this as all the other council members actually doing all the work and then rolling their eyes while presenting it as Glitterhoof's accomplishment, I guess?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Or it is an Easter egg that people really like and kinda gun for to get and there is actually no rationality behind anything with Glitterhoof.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I thought glitterhoof was imaginary. Like, you have a real chancellor but see him/her as a horse.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I don't appreciate those who undersell the accomplishments of Horse M.D.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
As a Count, what can I do with favors others owe me?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

alcaras posted:

As a Count, what can I do with favors others owe me?

gently caress-all, unless they're fellow counts and you're both members of your liege's council.

(There are a few miscellaneous things you can do with favors like force someone to come to your court (but only if they're not a close relative of their current liege and not holding a council position, so basically only if they're useless anyway) or accept certain betrothals/wardships and other stuff that generally you'll never want to actually do.)

Once in a while I have used a favor to, for example, get a woman with awesome traits/stats who is a different religion to move to my court where I can convert her and marry her to myself or my heir.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

tuyop posted:

I thought glitterhoof was imaginary. Like, you have a real chancellor but see him/her as a horse.

I'll have you know Glitterhoof was a very successful chancellor!

Also my physician performed an experimental treatment on my current character. The end result is that he is now stark raving mad and possessed.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

WMain00 posted:

I'll have you know Glitterhoof was a very successful chancellor!

Also my physician performed an experimental treatment on my current character. The end result is that he is now stark raving mad and possessed.

So in other words it was a huge success, give the man a raise praise him to your court because you're Gregarious and it's free!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Suggestions on Charlemagne starting locations? I like to start small and grow gradually big.

No pref as to religion/geography.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
I for one am very excited by the vague tooltip mention of "secretly following another religion." Now all you need to do is make Hellenic playable again, so I can Julian-the-Apostate the poo poo out of the ERE! :hist101:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

alcaras posted:

Suggestions on Charlemagne starting locations? I like to start small and grow gradually big.

I've had a fun game starting as a Count under the Duke of Northumberland, but the same could apply to any single-province count in England. Earn your Independence then do whatever you want.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

alcaras posted:

I had a lot of fun as a ruler designed Germanic (norse pagan religion) count in Ireland

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

WMain00 posted:

That's the best result of the experimental treatments. Lunatic/Possessed is a fun combo, and it doesn't prevent you from having more kids like the depressingly common Eunuch outcome does.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Volkerball posted:

If you don't play on Ironman you can just console switch to that character

I don't play Ironman, but can you not still save the game and pick up as someone else?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

I don't play Ironman, but can you not still save the game and pick up as someone else?

Nope. It's possible to preemptively play as your heir if you land them and then do some shenanigans, but otherwise you're unable to select anyone else.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

alcaras posted:

The Frankish count of Brittany under Charlie is pretty cool; you're the last remnant of your dynasty and old as balls and have the clear, easy goal of then getting Brittany under control and then either aiming for Britain, expanding within Francia or eyeing the Umms for some possible gains there.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Does anyone else have that problem where you keep wanting to wait until the next DLC comes out to start a new game and then another one gets announced or is it just me?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
just invaded lombardy, at which point i had a crusade and a jihad called against me. i juggled all 3 wars and two other revolts that sprung up all while dealing with the education and marriages of 70+ adult male courtiers, and building trade posts. that. loving. sucked.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The Frankish count of Brittany under Charlie is pretty cool; you're the last remnant of your dynasty and old as balls and have the clear, easy goal of then getting Brittany under control and then either aiming for Britain, expanding within Francia or eyeing the Umms for some possible gains there.

While this is true and makes him a great start, I kinda hate that Paradox dragged in a "historical placeholder" rather than than letting you play as the literal legendary hero who was historically governing that territory for Charlemagne around the time of the game start (or slightly afterwards).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

UrbicaMortis posted:

Start killing emperors and don't stop until you get a slow child.

Fixed. The question isn't "should I be stabbing?" the question is "who should I be stabbing?" Anybody that is both not you and an emperor is a good target by default.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, it's a feature. Glitterhoof doesn't show up often but the fact that a horse keeps getting up to all sorts of nonsense is just spectacular.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

While this is true and makes him a great start, I kinda hate that Paradox dragged in a "historical placeholder" rather than than letting you play as the literal legendary hero who was historically governing that territory for Charlemagne around the time of the game start (or slightly afterwards).
On the other hand, the placeholder has some baller shields so it aight.

I don't think Roland even gets a cool shield if you land him? I forget. Though you usually get the two counties as Charlie because the dude is old as hell and the ai isn't as good at getting kids as the player, so I guess you could give them to Roland, then play as him?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Eric the Mauve posted:

gently caress-all, unless they're fellow counts and you're both members of your liege's council.

(There are a few miscellaneous things you can do with favors like force someone to come to your court (but only if they're not a close relative of their current liege and not holding a council position, so basically only if they're useless anyway) or accept certain betrothals/wardships and other stuff that generally you'll never want to actually do.)

Once in a while I have used a favor to, for example, get a woman with awesome traits/stats who is a different religion to move to my court where I can convert her and marry her to myself or my heir.

Oh yeah, this reminds me. Someone who I owed a favor forced me to accept a matrilineal betrothal between his daughter and my son. Still have to figure a way to get out of that one, since I'm the king and that dude was my duke. I'm guessing if he's dead I won't owe him a favor anymore and can just break the betrothal?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Volkerball posted:

just invaded lombardy, at which point i had a crusade and a jihad called against me. i juggled all 3 wars and two other revolts that sprung up all while dealing with the education and marriages of 70+ adult male courtiers, and building trade posts. that. loving. sucked.

Lemme get some screens

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

shut up blegum posted:

Oh yeah, this reminds me. Someone who I owed a favor forced me to accept a matrilineal betrothal between his daughter and my son. Still have to figure a way to get out of that one, since I'm the king and that dude was my duke. I'm guessing if he's dead I won't owe him a favor anymore and can just break the betrothal?

Just stab the wife

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

verbal enema posted:

Just stab the wife

Oh right. Cut out the middle man woman. Literally :ese:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

Lemme get some screens

Every republic I say is going to be the final one that's my magnum opus, but every time I find some new thing to do that I have to incorporate. This one will be about 1.5x bigger than any trade network I've ever made, the capitals and everything are more optimized, I'm going to toy with dumping tens of thousands of ducats into a dynamic mercenary company, and I've got another fun thing that I'll expand on a little later once it's taken shape. The year is only 950, so I definitely think a world conquest is feasible.

So far I'm only at 10 vassals, and still not feeling much heat on succession. There's only so many vassal superkings I can put on my council tho.

And the trade route so far. 105 posts. Only 60 to go! :suicide:

I'll elaborate more once it's starting to take shape. I'm still nowhere near finishing the grind and starting the fun part.

• Locked thread