Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snak posted:

Sherlock has about one good episode per season. Which is not worth watching the two other loving terrible ones for.

I remember when he faked his death the first time. In the completely obvious and predictable way that was telegraphed AND foreshadowed. Which is fine. But then after the season break, they had to spend 15 minutes of the next episode "revealing" how it was done because it was somehow a big deal.

They also pulled an "OR WAS IT?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sherlock is just generally too concerned with making up examples to jerk off over how cool and smart Sherlock is to actually write good anything. A lot of times they try to make the mystery simple enough for viewers to solve, so that they will feel smart, while at the same time trying to make sherlock look smart for solving it.

The first episode is hilarious this way.

edit: In the first episode they keep having conversations like "How could no one have noticed the killer?" *Camera conspiculously focuses on a cab in the backround* "What sort of person is always around and no body notices?" *Cab drives by in front of the camera* And this goes on for like an hour before "OH MY GOD IT'S SO OBVIOUS!!! THE KILLER IS A CAB DRIVER!!!" No loving poo poo. And we're supposed to think he's a genius detective for only just now considering that people who had contact with the victims should be considered suspects. loving genius.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 9, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is this love/hate about Sherlock a real thing or a TVIV thing? I agree it's often flawed and has several outright "bad" episodes, but on the whole it's not worth hating is it? Really?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Season 3 was poopy but I've liked season 4 so far. Especially since Toby Jones was in the second episode. :swoon:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Guy Mann posted:

Season 3 was poopy but I've liked season 4 so far. Especially since Toby Jones was in the second episode. :swoon:

That would be Elementary the US version. Sherlock is BBC with Benedict Cumberbatch.

Will agree Toby Jones was great in his role.

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought Sherlock straight up murdered someone and fled the country

They edited the footage of him doing so to make it look like a sniper took him out. It's all kept secret with like 4 people knowing the truth. They do it because they believe Moriarty is back and still alive.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 9, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Elementary is a pretty fun procedural.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

Is this love/hate about Sherlock a real thing or a TVIV thing? I agree it's often flawed and has several outright "bad" episodes, but on the whole it's not worth hating is it? Really?

I don't think you understand how this works. Things are either the best things ever or the worst things ever. There's no middle ground anymore for anything. Try to keep up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The past ~20 episodes or so have been dull IMO. We need more of Sherlock's dad and Kitty and Clyde

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like how they've been more or less case of the week, just doing detective work without Sherlocks daddy issues or Joans sister. Yeah there is the guy from True Blood, but I'm glad he's getting work.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sherlock is bad because they tie some absurdly complex knot to make the viewer go "this knot can't possibly be untied!" and then they get some scissors out and snip the knot to pieces and go "voila! sherlock has done it again!" Creating some impenetrable, practically incomprehensible problem and then presenting some meanderingly complex solution isn't smart or graceful. If they do a straightforward episode instead of another big death/fake death it can still actually be good I assume

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

They edited the footage of him doing so to make it look like a sniper took him out. It's all kept secret with like 4 people knowing the truth. They do it because they believe Moriarty is back and still alive.

So they want to retcon the one cool thing the show ever did?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also that, when Sherlock came out, it was a big, "universally loved" must-see. It was huge. So it's kind of a state of backlash where, because the pop-culture assumption is that it is good, dislike must be well-qualified.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was not big. It's on PBS.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't matter. Every single person was like "omg have you seen Sherlock!!?!"

And Cumberbatch got millions of fangirls overnight.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't know anyone in real life that watches Sherlock.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Martin Freeman says he gets more fan recognition for Sherlock than Hobbit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Martin Freeman says he gets more fan recognition for Sherlock than Hobbit.

I'd imagine he gets more recognition from The Office than The Hobbit. I mean people actually like The Office.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Fast Luck posted:

Sherlock is bad because they tie some absurdly complex knot to make the viewer go "this knot can't possibly be untied!" and then they get some scissors out and snip the knot to pieces and go "voila! sherlock has done it again!" Creating some impenetrable, practically incomprehensible problem and then presenting some meanderingly complex solution isn't smart or graceful. If they do a straightforward episode instead of another big death/fake death it can still actually be good I assume

Have you ever read the original books? It's always been wildly impractical and complex problems and Sherlock casually explaining to Watson about how magic trained milk-homing snakes are obviously the solution.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snak posted:

It doesn't matter. Every single person was like "omg have you seen Sherlock!!?!"

And Cumberbatch got millions of fangirls overnight.

That's because you hang out in especially nerdy places probably.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually think most people in my life would be able to tell me who Cumberbatch is from The Hobbit or Strange or some other movie or just people making fun of his name and I'd be shocked if even one of them knew that he played Sherlock Holmes.

Obviously I suspect there's a bit of a geography aspect here as I'm an American. I assume he and the show are more known in the UK.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That's because you hang out in especially nerdy places probably.

I'm a college student in a college town, so yes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Twin Peaks starts in May and is 18 episodes.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/twin-peaks-gets-may-premiere-date-unexpectedly-long-run-on-showtime

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So nobody at Fox thought it might've been a good idea to switch out the Family Guy episode last night where one of the plots involves Joe getting a gun out of checked luggage while on a plane?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Snak posted:

It's also that, when Sherlock came out, it was a big, "universally loved" must-see. It was huge. So it's kind of a state of backlash where, because the pop-culture assumption is that it is good, dislike must be well-qualified.

I'm not down with the current wave of people being too cool for school about Bendytoots, I think he's great and don't mind him being in almost everything.

Sherlock is still garbage.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Guy Mann posted:

Have you ever read the original books? It's always been wildly impractical and complex problems and Sherlock casually explaining to Watson about how magic trained milk-homing snakes are obviously the solution.
yes I've read all the original stories. Nothing as elaborately contrived as the path the series has gone down

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EL BROMANCE posted:

So nobody at Fox thought it might've been a good idea to switch out the Family Guy episode last night where one of the plots involves Joe getting a gun out of checked luggage while on a plane?

If we pulled episodes of TV shows every time there was a mass shooting, nothing would ever air.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

If we pulled episodes of TV shows every time there was a mass shooting, nothing would ever air.

Just switch in that HD Fireplace video. Unless there's been another warehouse fire killing a bunch of hipsters.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Better Off Ted creator Victor Fresco would like to introduce you to a new generation of hurricane-proof zombies, with the help of Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHqT88vu6Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDR7lAamYmo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Better Off Ted creator Victor Fresco would like to introduce you to a new generation of hurricane-proof zombies, with the help of Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant:

quote:

Married couple Sheila and Joel (Barrymore and Olyphant) are real estate agents in Santa Clarita, California. The couple's lives take a dark turn after Sheila dies.

I would imagine most people's lives dark turn after they die.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

STAC Goat posted:

Obviously I suspect there's a bit of a geography aspect here as I'm an American. I assume he and the show are more known in the UK.

I think it's certain circles, sane ones in any case. People at conventions freaking love Sherlock and hate Elementary for being the "paler, American imitation." The halls are lined with slash artwork of Sherlock and Watson.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's "SuperWhoLock" that's popular on Tumblr. Supernatural, Doctor Who and Sherlock.

All in the cheekbones, or so I'm told.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Jughead Hat Status: Confirmed

DivisionPost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHqT88vu6Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDR7lAamYmo

Timothy Olyphant doing comedy is something I'm always there for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've had this exact Sherlock discussion before, down to the PBS and Freeman's Hobbit comments.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Every season until they stop making it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
When do we get to occ being allowed to speak for a week?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"A great place to get away with all" is a very grammatically interesting tagline :psyduck:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Jughead Hat Status: Confirmed

Timothy Olyphant doing comedy is something I'm always there for.

Legit want that hat.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Legit want that hat.

You'll be the first to have Fedora 2.0

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

GreenNight posted:

Every season until they stop making it.

Who knows what adventures Holmes and Watson will have between now and when the series becomes unprofitable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

You'll be the first to have Fedora 2.0

A whoopee-cap (which is what Jughead wears in the comics) is traditionally made from a fedora.

• Locked thread