Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Are you referring to the outdoors stuff on Insurrection? They shot in Alaska.

Edit: wait, am I thinking of Nemesis? I might be wrong here.

The Nemesis wedding scene was Alaska. The lake and Ba'ku village in Insurrection were filmed in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If I had to take a guess, I'd bet that with the overabundance of Star Trek in the 90's with no end in sight, there wasn't as much healthy fear of failure going around during the TNG movies. I mean, if Star Trek II tanked, that probably would have ended Star Trek. Around the time of Insurrection, I'd wager everyone probably felt overly secure that they'd have another at-bat if they delivered a turd.

It seems like the biggest issue was the number of shared staff and assets between the TV shows and movies. It's not just that they were trying to reuse props and models that were made for a TV show (and stealing DS9's uniforms), but also that the team was exhausted from years of churning out 20+ hours a year of syndicated television and didn't have the right mindset for film. Many of them were rank amateurs to the film business and were stuck in their old formulas and overly wedded to the show's mythos. The first six movies feel like TOS, but they're not really a continuation as such. There was enough distance between the show and the movies that the creators felt they had to recreate Star Trek rather than just continue it. Sure there's Klingons and energy beings and the blatant plot recycling in TMP, but Wrath of Khan is really the only movie that actually calls back to a specific TOS episode, and you don't actually have to have seen Space Seed to get it. Plus he was one of the best actors and most iconic characters in the whole series and deserved to come back.

On the other hand, was anyone really clamoring for the return of the Duras sisters? Was finishing their character arc really so loving important that they needed to be squeezed into a movie that already had loving Malcolm McDowell as its villain? Also, remember that emotion chip Data got from Lore in Descent Part 2? No? Well, we're doing that too. It all really reeks of a creative team that had no idea if they were making the first movie in a new franchise, the seventh movie in the TOS franchise, or a second finale for TNG. The Borg in First Contact were at least iconic villains, but Picard's whole character arc is based on a six-year-old episode and it really hammers home the point that nothing much has actually changed for these characters in the decade we've known them except that some of them are a bit paunchier and they have a new ship that the script barely acknowledges. Sure there's some bullshit about aging in Insurrection and Nemesis has a wedding in it, but, for the most part, the TNG movies are shamefully indifferent to the passage of time and keep resetting the characters (except maybe Smug Data and Action Picard) like they're still writing syndicated TV. Nemesis came out fifteen years after TNG started. Why is everyone still in basically the same places doing basically the same jobs? I get that Kirk told Picard to never stop being a captain (a line I always hated), but why has Riker spent the last ten years turning down promotions (was he just waiting to wear down Troi enough?). It's nice to see that at least a couple crew members (besides Worf) are moving on and parting ways, but it's still pretty baffling that they waited until the fourth movie to really start showing it.

Between the TV people playing at movie producers, the studio flacks trying desperately to figure out this whole "Star Trek" thing, and diva actors with no one to keep them in check, everyone comes off pretty badly, but Rick "movies are just like tv, right?" Berman really seems like he deserves the most blame, followed by various meddling executives. Moore, Braga, and some of the other show people don't exactly come out of it smelling like roses, but they at least get the excuse of being overworked and in over their heads, while Stewart, Frakes, and Spiner were just overreaching the way "stars" often do and probably would have been fine if there were people smart enough to say no to them and make sure they stayed away from the scripts. Piller is the one I really can't figure out because he, like Berman, has some real "man who saved Star Trek" credibility, but depending on who you ask, he was either a burnt out hack by the time he made Insurrection (also Voyager), or was still one of the team''s best assets but couldn't get out from under a studio and various "creatives" that couldn't decide what they wanted and was mired in a work environment so dysfunctional that failure was all but assured.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I haven't finished the TNG movie portion of 50 Year Mission, but the sense I got was that Piller really was just burnt out from all the years of juggling his roles and duties in the franchise. He's clearly a talented guy, but the wind was out of his sails sometime after Generations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Cool, maybe next time Amazon has a sale I can get them for cheap, though i'd rather have them on BluRay because i am trying to avoid buying more DVDs. I managed to cut nearly 600 to just over 100.

Wouldn't we all. I wouldn't hold your breath on Blu-rays. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Insurrection also had this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Insurrection was permeated in the style of camp writing that Voyager descended into. If you really watch Generations and Insurrection back to back, you can notice a stark difference in the characters in the way humor is handled especially.

I'm not saying humor isn't wanted in Star Trek, of course it is and it's always been a part of things. What I am saying is that stuff in Insurrection like Worf and Picard singing, Data feeling Riker's freshly shaved face, the boob comment, and Data doing "there's something on your shirt" gag with Riker at the end just feel like more of a parody than actual dialog and actions the characters would say and do. It just feels very distinctly different to the way humor was handled with TNG in the past. Even the "scanning for lifeforms" scene in Generations comes across much more like something that would have been in the original run of TNG than anything that came later.

It's all saccharine and empty. The actors are all just a little TOO comfortable in their roles. Instead of using that as an opportunity for growth for their characters, it's instead used sell a script that was trying to be just a little too silly and sanitized.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bull3964 posted:

It's all saccharine and empty. The actors are all just a little TOO comfortable in their roles. Instead of using that as an opportunity for growth for their characters, it's instead used sell a script that was trying to be just a little too silly and sanitized.

I've been working my way through The Fifty-Year Mission, and one of the things I've noticed is how many people seemed to want to recapture the fun of TOS in Star Trek's later years. It seems like the real problem with that is that a lot of what modern writers see as "fun" in TOS really wasn't intentional. TOS writers were writing the best sci-fi they could for the time, but they were still locked into 60s TV conventions. You just can't replicate that feel with modern TV or film and have it come off as anything other than silly and forced.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh man, I forgot on my list data saying that he could be used as a floatation device in the event of a water landing.

These are all things I giggled at on first watch, but they are real groaners and not quite the same drier sense of humor that was done before.

For example, I'm still amused by Data saying "It is green" in Relics because it's a good piece of in character comedy and it's a nice callback to TOS.

Data commenting to Worf about breasts getting firmer just makes me feel like he suffered permanent system damage in his cognitive functions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Paradoxish posted:

I've been working my way through The Fifty-Year Mission, and one of the things I've noticed is how many people seemed to want to recapture the fun of TOS in Star Trek's later years. It seems like the real problem with that is that a lot of what modern writers see as "fun" in TOS really wasn't intentional. TOS writers were writing the best sci-fi they could for the time, but they were still locked into 60s TV conventions. You just can't replicate that feel with modern TV or film and have it come off as anything other than silly and forced.

Yeah, I think that's exactly it. TOS is campy because that's the trappings of 60s TV. Everyone gets together at the end and has a good laugh and the adventure continues next week. Intentionally injecting that camp into the writing of something that came 30+ years later just rings false, that's why it feels like a parody.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

On the other hand, I think DS9 did humor really well. Which was interesting because it was the "darker" and more "serious" show.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Astroman posted:

On the other hand, I think DS9 did humor really well. Which was interesting because it was the "darker" and more "serious" show.

I think that's it though. Humour works well as a contrast with more seirous fare. When you try to joke within a context of mild goofiness it just always seems awkward and lame

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Humor works well as a contrast with more serious fare.

Yes, and the reverse holds true as well. Scrubs managed to pull off incredibly affecting emotional moments because the main humor of the show contrasted the drama.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I think that's it though. Humour works well as a contrast with more seirous fare. When you try to joke within a context of mild goofiness it just always seems awkward and lame

Humor in DS9 still works better even when the whole episode is goofy. Worf yelling "Find him and kill him!" when that Vulcan misses home plate still makes me giggle.

Speaking of Worf, why would he think that Jadzia didn't qualify for Sto-vo-kor because she didn't die in glorious battle? A more powerful adversary appeared, she tried to pull a phaser, but he got the drop on her and she got fried. It's not like he killed her while she was cowering in the corner. Seems to me that taking on a god in a battle is far more glorious than the way most Klingons in the series have died.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Certainly it was a more honourable death than being killed in a soccer match!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Or the notion that the leader of the House of Kozak getting overpowered by a Ferengi bartender in a knife fight is an honorable death.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ever notice how the Klingons are meant to be this fearsome warrior race renowned for their skill in combat, then when they all attack DS9 at once (in "The Way of the Warrior") virtually all they do is clasp their hands together and do double-fist hammer punches?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ever notice how the Klingons are meant to be this fearsome warrior race renowned for their skill in combat, then when they all attack DS9 at once (in "The Way of the Warrior") virtually all they do is clasp their hands together and do double-fist hammer punches?

I think you're the first person to ever note that ST has bad fight choreography. Your prize is to experience Bij

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are you saying that Kirk-fu isn't the ultimate evolution of martial arts?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Pakled posted:

Are you saying that Kirk-fu isn't the ultimate evolution of martial arts?

Maybe in the 23rd century it was, but I think we all know what the ultimate evolution is NOW.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

Humor in DS9 still works better even when the whole episode is goofy. Worf yelling "Find him and kill him!" when that Vulcan misses home plate still makes me giggle.

Worf had some really hilarious deadpanned lines. His poem cracks me up every time.

"This is the story of a little ship... that took a little trip."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"Good tea."

*looks around for a second*

"Nice house."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The difference is really how campy it is, more specifically how much we are supposed to enjoy the joke based on how bad it is.

All of the gags in insurrection are just that, gags. Data isn't human so he says and does inappropriate things. The beat is held and we are supposed to laugh with the characters. Insert studio audience track.

Stuff like "find him and kill him" aren't campy even if it's an inherently silly episode. It's a good, honest bit of character dialog. Worf is joking around with his friends in a competitive way that's in character. What he isn't doing is telling a joke for the benefit of the audience. That's really what we get too much of in the TNG movies and Voyager. They did pull back quite a bit in Enterprise though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

They did pull back quite a bit in Enterprise though.

That part was easy, they just made most of the cast unlikeable assholes for the first season.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

bull3964 posted:

What he isn't doing is telling a joke for the benefit of the audience. That's really what we get too much of in the TNG movies and Voyager. They did pull back quite a bit in Enterprise though.

They made up for it by having the characters awkwardly say "butt," "rear end," "poop," or "bum" every episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Voyager episode "False Profits" is on. I realized that is basically the TNG episode "Devil's Due".

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bull3964 posted:

They did pull back quite a bit in Enterprise though.

They realized that Vulcan sideboob was the way to grab the audience

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

The prequel to Vulcan Love Slave, clearly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FuturePastNow posted:

That's just Riker adding needless T&A to his self-help holodeck program. He's a lot like awful modders of today.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is there any streaming service out there that has episodes of the original series with the original special effects?
I'm not normally a purist, but the cutting back and forth between an alien that's just a dog in a wig and a hi-def CGI Enterprise just gives me whiplash.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They made up for it by having the characters awkwardly say "butt," "rear end," "poop," or "bum" every episode.
It was pretty weird when Archer started calling the Vulcans poopy assbutts, I have to admit.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Jellymouth posted:

Is there any streaming service out there that has episodes of the original series with the original special effects?
I'm not normally a purist, but the cutting back and forth between an alien that's just a dog in a wig and a hi-def CGI Enterprise just gives me whiplash.

Amazon has both remastered and original versions I think.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I would be less displeased with the remaster CGI if it weren't so godawful.

Seriously, it looks like a high school student made and rendered it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kazinsal posted:

It almost fits in with the godawful original effects, yet doesn't, at all.

I bet nerds in 2050 will feel nostalgic for it, though.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

What the hell is with the Starfleet admissions process in Coming of Age? Why did Wesley have to take the entrance exam and that random planet, and why is it a competition? If someone meets the standards why would Starfleet turn them away? And if it is a competition then why wouldn't you go to a planet with the fewest people testing for admission?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
That whole episode made no sense.

But apparently the captain of a ship can make any random 16 year old an acting ensign so it was doubly weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Namaer posted:

What the hell is with the Starfleet admissions process in Coming of Age? Why did Wesley have to take the entrance exam and that random planet, and why is it a competition? If someone meets the standards why would Starfleet turn them away? And if it is a competition then why wouldn't you go to a planet with the fewest people testing for admission?

Wasn't that for advance entry? You had to be a certain age to enter unless you were a douchey super genius.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Namaer posted:

Not to mention that it's weird that an intergalactic military force representing hundreds of species and worlds and billions of people would only have one academy that officers can come from.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Namaer posted:

I just read the synopsis for this episode on Memory Alpha, and the entire episode makes even less sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Tell you what, I'll trade you straight up. You can keep the old beat-up worn-out effects reels for TOS and I'll take the cheap but serviceable remaster for B5.