Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cuntellectual posted:

I'll bite, why?

There are a handful of Chinese faux pas, such as don't stab a bowl of rice with chopsticks, don't wear a green hat, don't give someone a clock.

For the clock, it's a homophone thing. 送鐘 (song4zhong1) means to give someone a clock. 送終 (pronounced identically) has a literal meaning of "attending to the end", but idiomatically means expecting to attend the funeral of a loved one, typically a parent. So apparently giving a clock to someone is basically saying you want the receiver of the clock to die as the giver anticipates attending the receiver's funeral soon.3

Giving her a clock is like wishing death on her, which doesn't quite mesh his anti-China rhetoric.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

StevoMcQueen posted:

While not my first meal, I always indulge in Taco Bell while in Hongdae, since it and Gangnam are the only two locations I'm absolutely sure of existing in Seoul (and Hongdae's location has changed since last time I was there).

If only Seoul also had Fatburger...

Whoa what where is it in Hongdae now? That's where I'm staying.

General agreement is the TB at Wangsimni is the best one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blistex posted:

I loving hate the Chinese consulate staff in Toronto.

So I dropped my wife off at the airport and she flew into Toronto to get her Passport renewed (this has been ongoing since Sept). The last time she was there they told her that she had to make an appointment via their website, and would not accept the forms that she had filled out and brought there. She explained that their web site was not working, and they admitted that, but would still not accept the forms right in front of them because she had not made an appointment. They outright told her that they would just throw them in the garbage as soon as she left. She explained that she tried to call for 2 weeks, and nobody would answer her email, and she finally had to contact the Embassy in Ottawa which sent her an email saying, "show them this email printed out, and they will give you service". The consulate staff didn't care.

<eventually we figured out if you use internet explorer, turn on "browser emulation" and select IE7 that it will work after ~50 refreshes. We made an appointment and got her a flight there.

Today she went to the embassy with an appointment booked, and when she got to the desk they started processing her papers. When they got to the photos the lady said, "I think these are too dark, they might be rejected". We got them done at Walmart, they were not too dark, they were perfect passport photos (brightness, size, position, facial expression, etc.). My wife looks to the corner of the room and there is a "do it yourself" passport photo machine". She gets in line and when it is her turn she asks the man in front of her (currently picking up his photos) if he is finished. He turns back to her and yells, "I'm not done, wait your turn bitch". He picks up his photos, then stands in front of the machine staring at her for 2 minutes before she goes to the back of the line (everyone is yelling at her to stop causing trouble). 5 minutes later it's her turn again and the machine is broken. She loses ~$9.00 in coins trying to make it work, and she asks the staff for help. They ignore her, she leaves the building crying, and calls me.

So right now she's standing on the sidewalk (in front of a restaurant in Korea town waiting for it to open in an hour).

The mainland Chinese are the scum of the earth and their attitudes and indifference to the plights and feelings of others (even their own people) is proof of that.

I assume you wife is Chinese? My wife had similar bullshit with having to renew her russian passport during the awkward years when she was a PR but not citizen yet. I hope your wife can get a canadian passport soon so she never has to deal with her garbage home country ever again. My wife's finally a citizen with a canadian passport and she's over the moon about never having to deal with the russian government for the rest of her life, or ever going to Russia ever again. It's like finally severing from an abusive ex.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

I assume you wife is Chinese? My wife had similar bullshit with having to renew her russian passport during the awkward years when she was a PR but not citizen yet. I hope your wife can get a canadian passport soon so she never has to deal with her garbage home country ever again. My wife's finally a citizen with a canadian passport and she's over the moon about never having to deal with the russian government for the rest of her life, or ever going to Russia ever again. It's like finally severing from an abusive ex.

She is seriously considering it. Getting a Canadian passport means that going home is a pain in the rear end, but she's also aware that travelling other places becomes so much easier. I have a feeling this will be her last Chinese passport.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

So I dropped my wife off at the airport and she flew into Toronto to get her Passport renewed (this has been ongoing since Sept). The last time she was there they told her that she had to make an appointment via their website, and would not accept the forms that she had filled out and brought there. She explained that their web site was not working, and they admitted that, but would still not accept the forms right in front of them because she had not made an appointment. They outright told her that they would just throw them in the garbage as soon as she left. She explained that she tried to call for 2 weeks, and nobody would answer her email, and she finally had to contact the Embassy in Ottawa which sent her an email saying, "show them this email printed out, and they will give you service". The consulate staff didn't care.

<eventually we figured out if you use internet explorer, turn on "browser emulation" and select IE7 that it will work after ~50 refreshes. We made an appointment and got her a flight there.

Today she went to the embassy with an appointment booked, and when she got to the desk they started processing her papers. When they got to the photos the lady said, "I think these are too dark, they might be rejected". We got them done at Walmart, they were not too dark, they were perfect passport photos (brightness, size, position, facial expression, etc.). My wife looks to the corner of the room and there is a "do it yourself" passport photo machine". She gets in line and when it is her turn she asks the man in front of her (currently picking up his photos) if he is finished. He turns back to her and yells, "I'm not done, wait your turn bitch". He picks up his photos, then stands in front of the machine staring at her for 2 minutes before she goes to the back of the line (everyone is yelling at her to stop causing trouble). 5 minutes later it's her turn again and the machine is broken. She loses ~$9.00 in coins trying to make it work, and she asks the staff for help. They ignore her, she leaves the building crying, and calls me.

So right now she's standing on the sidewalk (in front of a restaurant in Korea town waiting for it to open in an hour).

The mainland Chinese are the scum of the earth and their attitudes and indifference to the plights and feelings of others (even their own people) is proof of that.

if it is any consolation, you are saving major cash by not having to go to china to get an authentic chinese experience.

i know that's probably not a consolation, blistex. sorry about the situation. this is just par for the course in china. i'm going to shenyang in 12 hours. wish me luck.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Great Autismo! posted:

if it is any consolation, you are saving major cash by not having to go to china to get an authentic chinese experience.

i know that's probably not a consolation, blistex. sorry about the situation. this is just par for the course in china. i'm going to shenyang in 12 hours. wish me luck.

Huff some coal dust for me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Clocks = death. Just like 4 and a host of other superstitious nonsense.
Google 'clocks china death' for the deets if you want
Bland and dull. Though, to be fair, once you have tasted the joy that is American Peanutbutter candies, so are most supposed delights.

Mochi especially was just very meh. I guess it's the texture they like? Or maybe the ones I got at the supermarket were just poo poo.

I had mochi-covered ice cream at a dim sum place in London a few months ago. I've never had it on its own, but it did add a really nice texture to the ice cream.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Grand Fromage posted:

My experience with international Taco Bell is it's a lot higher quality.

Indian Taco Bell menus:

'miring that TMB and kathitto

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I thought the solution to Chinese consulates was to throw face against the wall until something sticks.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
What is this insanity, azuki beans are great in dessert. Mochi, manju, taiyaki, patbingsu, patjook, and my favorite form, BB Big bars

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Indian Taco Bell menus:

mods namechange to CHI-PO-TH-LEBUH-REE-TOH please

That Tikka Masala Burrito's now on my list of things to get when I visit India in the next couple years.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

Goondolescences. I feel like this is the 3rd time that I've read your embassy stories. Can you get citizenship for your wife in Canada and be done with this poo poo? Let me guess, you need the passport for that?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Accretionist posted:

Making a burrito out of a paratha is... pretty restrained for Taco Bell. I was expecting like, a taco made from a tiny paratha nested inside a pappadum or something.

Boiled Water posted:

I thought the solution to Chinese consulates was to throw face against the wall until something sticks.
I read somewhere, might have been an older china.jpg, that some consulates are staffed with Party officials' kids. So it's like the malicious indolence of bad government clerks amplified by fuerdai douchebaggery.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Boiled Water posted:

The people working at the Toronto consulate are all women in their mid 20's to early 30's. They show up to work driving German luxury cars and have LV handbags. This is a job that they show up to for 4-5 hours a day and spend the rest of their time shopping. They are likely well connected and literally don't care about the work they do as they are likely untouchable.

JaucheCharly posted:

Goondolescences. I feel like this is the 3rd time that I've read your embassy stories. Can you get citizenship for your wife in Canada and be done with this poo poo? Let me guess, you need the passport for that?

Getting Canadian citizenship isn't a problem, it's whenever she has to go back to China it becomes an issue. She will have to get a visa every time, have to register as a foreigner wherever she goes, and her ability to help her parents in China is severely compromised as she will lose all of her Chinese ID and status, and will not be able to do anything regarding their savings, paperwork, etc. If she gets the passport she can not worry for another 10 years and maybe if she wants, switch over to a Canadian one.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought the Taco Bell was in Sinchon, not Hongdae?

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Literally just tucked in around the corner from where it was before. Me and the missus thought it'd gone completely (there's a clothing store and a pho restaurant in the building it used to occupy I think), but carry on walking down down the hill along the main street (Hongikro), and it's tucked in behind a clothing store (Forever 21 maybe?) and V Hall.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

So I was waiting in line at the airport in Berlin for a gate&passport check to open. It was pretty early so you had your line of ten peeps, me being like fourth in line. Berlin Tegel is not large and it is decentralized with each gate having its own security area and everyone just forms lines into the corridors naturally.
So anyway everyone was standing in line, obviously no rush at all - we'd be first couple of people at security check anyway.. it's like 6am.
To be sure, the line is as regular and straight and non-crowded as a line of people can be.

Then two young Chinese women showed up. I know they were Chinese because everyone had their passports in their hands. They looked at the line, looked at the closed passport booth, and then started waiting in line... by standing parallel to the line, but just slightly in front of me (so between third and fourth place) and then shoving both me and the person in front of me ever so slightly with their arms as if we would "let them in" or something.
Everyone was reaaally confused.
Mere moments later they opened not one, but two passport booths. Seeing that, the Chinese girls literally RAN to the second booth. I believe it was EU only (or something else didn't work) and so they didn't get anywhere with that since there was arguing. I didn't see the end of the drama because I was through the check in line in all of two terrible minutes of waiting in the enormous line of ten people... apparently.

I am not sure if someone lost face or how much, but this was my first authentic experience with Chinese people that I know of (since I saw their passports). Very interesting.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
waiting in line isn't really a thing in the mainland. it's crazy though, like when you're traveling you can tell when you are getting ready to get to the mainland, or a group of people form the mainland are nearby. i can't explain it. it's like the aura of the room changes, kind of like when you have the feeling someone is watching you. maybe i have that feeling because a ton of people are indeed staring at me and my family, i don't know, but it's just a different feeling being at a gate with a large group of people from the mainland.

i just flew back to beijing like 28 hours ago, wife and i took boston to narita on japan airlines. just such a beautiful flight. they are so helpful and give our kid free stuff and we always get to board early and they have special utensils for the kid, etc. from narita we had to change to fly to beijing, again on japan airlines. our flight was gate like 67B or something, it was downstairs, so we got there and there was a sign that said "no carts downstairs" and then an elevator right there. you can probably see where this is going but i'll continue. we dropped our cart off and went downstairs and there were like 15 carts all over the place. people sitting in the pregnant lady/old person seats with their shoes and socks off. the decibel level went up significantly. they said "we will be boarding in just a few minutes" and it was like a reenactment of the stampede from the lion king. we waited a few minutes and walked to the front and they said we could board first because we had a child. there were at least 8 Japan airline employees working to organize all of the duty free poo poo people had bought. it was literally unbelievable how much duty free crap was all over the place. while we were waiting to get on a mainlander came up and was like "hey, i need you to stamp my duty free thing" and the girl working the counter said "we can't do that here" and the lady kind of looked at her and said "i need this stamped" and the girl was like "ok, i can't do it, I'm sorry" and the lady said "i don't have time to go do it anywhere else, you have to" and the girl working said "i can not" and the lady didn't move so no one could get up there, and just kind of looked at the girl for a bit, finally the girl said "please go take a seat" and the lady walked away kind of dejected.

we get on the plane and the two ladies in front of us have reclined their seats as far back as possible the second they sit down, squishing my son's head. a flight attendant comes and tells them they have to wait until the plane takes off and they do not fix their seats. the flight attendant fixes their seats for them, and they immediately put them back when she walks away, and another comes and fixes them again, all before take off.

we arrived back in beijing and our driver picked us up, but he had forgotten where he parked his car. we got on the elevator to go to the garage and an old guy waited until the doors were almost closed before he hit the "door open" button. he did this twice, for some reason. our driver was getting onto the freeway and there was a big red X at the toll, but he went to that one anyway, and he kinda slowed down but not really and just blew through the toll and broke the barrier. we found out like five minutes later the road was closed due to fog and we had to go back and go a different way. finally got back to my apartment at like 1:30 last night.

it's good to be back, lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
come to think of it i wonder if they put us in an isolated gate downstairs away from all the other gates on purpose, or if that was just a coincidence

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

visiting the jeju international airport was an eye-opener for me. i had never had direct experiences with the mainlander swarm before until then.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

waiting in line isn't really a thing in the mainland. it's crazy though, like when you're traveling you can tell when you are getting ready to get to the mainland, or a group of people form the mainland are nearby. i can't explain it. it's like the aura of the room changes, kind of like when you have the feeling someone is watching you. maybe i have that feeling because a ton of people are indeed staring at me and my family, i don't know, but it's just a different feeling being at a gate with a large group of people from the mainland.

i just flew back to beijing like 28 hours ago, wife and i took boston to narita on japan airlines. just such a beautiful flight. they are so helpful and give our kid free stuff and we always get to board early and they have special utensils for the kid, etc. from narita we had to change to fly to beijing, again on japan airlines. our flight was gate like 67B or something, it was downstairs, so we got there and there was a sign that said "no carts downstairs" and then an elevator right there. you can probably see where this is going but i'll continue. we dropped our cart off and went downstairs and there were like 15 carts all over the place. people sitting in the pregnant lady/old person seats with their shoes and socks off. the decibel level went up significantly. they said "we will be boarding in just a few minutes" and it was like a reenactment of the stampede from the lion king. we waited a few minutes and walked to the front and they said we could board first because we had a child. there were at least 8 Japan airline employees working to organize all of the duty free poo poo people had bought. it was literally unbelievable how much duty free crap was all over the place. while we were waiting to get on a mainlander came up and was like "hey, i need you to stamp my duty free thing" and the girl working the counter said "we can't do that here" and the lady kind of looked at her and said "i need this stamped" and the girl was like "ok, i can't do it, I'm sorry" and the lady said "i don't have time to go do it anywhere else, you have to" and the girl working said "i can not" and the lady didn't move so no one could get up there, and just kind of looked at the girl for a bit, finally the girl said "please go take a seat" and the lady walked away kind of dejected.

we get on the plane and the two ladies in front of us have reclined their seats as far back as possible the second they sit down, squishing my son's head. a flight attendant comes and tells them they have to wait until the plane takes off and they do not fix their seats. the flight attendant fixes their seats for them, and they immediately put them back when she walks away, and another comes and fixes them again, all before take off.

we arrived back in beijing and our driver picked us up, but he had forgotten where he parked his car. we got on the elevator to go to the garage and an old guy waited until the doors were almost closed before he hit the "door open" button. he did this twice, for some reason. our driver was getting onto the freeway and there was a big red X at the toll, but he went to that one anyway, and he kinda slowed down but not really and just blew through the toll and broke the barrier. we found out like five minutes later the road was closed due to fog and we had to go back and go a different way. finally got back to my apartment at like 1:30 last night.

it's good to be back, lol

i remember the video of that extremely angry thai lady in an airport

these threads are going to sorely miss haier never going back to china. grand fromage needs to step up

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

come to think of it i wonder if they put us in an isolated gate downstairs away from all the other gates on purpose, or if that was just a coincidence

I thought you were moving to Japan or something.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/818502603776458752/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Blistex keep the stories coming. Sorry your wife had to go through it. Any chance she can "forget" to renounce PRC citizenship?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like the single comment

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nickmeister posted:

I thought you were moving to Japan or something.

It's a few month process for us my wife has been here nine years I've been here seven. We have a lot of loose ends to tie up. Working on it now, should pretty much be done by mid-March!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Imperialist Dog posted:

Blistex keep the stories coming. Sorry your wife had to go through it. Any chance she can "forget" to renounce PRC citizenship?

Based on chatter in this thread how likely is it that Canada will give the PRC a list of all Chinese citizens that get Canadian citizenship each year?

And what is the chance that the guy who has to deal with that list just saves it somewhere and forgets about it?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

In other news, the poutinerie in Taipei is great.

Where the hell is this? I'll be there for work in a few weeks, and I really want to see what Taiwan calls poutine.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The number of Chinese tourists in Japan has grown significantly, so much so that most large stores in Tokyo (uniqlo, bic camera, etc) now have duty free counters and/or announcements in chinese. The lines for the duty free counters are always a mess.

My mom visited a few years ago so I took here to Kyoto to see its sights. At Nijo castle there was a large board that had buttons labelled for several languages. You pushed a button and a short audio history of the castle would play in the corresponding language. My mother and I waited in line while the Koreans ahead of us listened to their track. When they finished we stepped up and pushed the button for the English track. About 1 minute in a tourist walks up, steps into the little space between us and the board, and pushes the button to change to Chinese. I started laughing because as soon as I realized what was happening I knew what button would be pushed. The tourist turned to look at me, then at the board, then back at me. I don't know if she ever got it.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The easiest way to deal with it is have an Australian boyfriend who's an amateur MMA fighter and has severe anger issues. He punched the guy, who staggered into the door just as it was opening. Groper made a run for it and my ex screamed GO ON WITHOUT ME and took off after him. That was pretty awesome.

well on the one hand thats ok but what happens if i actually slip because im a goofus and your mongoloid boyfriend tries to get into a fight with me just to prove he's real cool and to get laid later and i stab him

ps i dont like big boobs youre safe

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Outrail posted:

Based on chatter in this thread how likely is it that Canada will give the PRC a list of all Chinese citizens that get Canadian citizenship each year?

And what is the chance that the guy who has to deal with that list just saves it somewhere and forgets about it?

This does not happen, and is how you keep your citizenship in your original country that disallows dual nationality.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Blistex posted:

Jesus! How do you keep finding these women? Are the women in the North East that much better looking than the rest of the country? I have never seen even three girls as unfortunate as the ones you have been posting since the beginning of this thread.
LOL, I have soooooooooooo many fiveheaded girls and weird moles and stuff saved, and I always forget to post some of the more unfortunate ones. The good/bad thing about Shenzhen is that nobody here is actually from here. You rarely meet a real Guangdong person. They're from all over China and it's kind of a joke that everyone here is an outsider, even if they were born here. A majority I've met are from Hunan (and not one single one of them has been sane, and I am forming a theory that Hunan is full of psychos or at least has a culture of craziness and tantrums), and the the rest are Dongbei people, with a dash of Sichuan thrown in.
Basically, I get to experience glorious Fiveheads from across China. It's like a catalogue of bad hairlines and hairlips.

Accretionist posted:

Indian Taco Bell menus:

As someone who eats Chinese food probably 26 days out of the month, looking at this menu gives me a hankering something awful. Those prices are insane for India, but I want to try every drat thing on that menu. I've never had paneer in a burrito and now I want to try. LOL that most things in there have potato.
I went to a McDonald's in Kolkata once. The prices shocked me, considering for like 50 rupees I could have a humongous meal at an Indian place, and for 200 or whatever at McDs I could buy one tiny sandwich. I spent something like 500 at the time (about $10 with the exchange) and feeling so disappointed.

--------

INCOMING:

https://sputniknews.com/politics/201609151045341538-gold-yuan-china-dollar-eurasia/

quote:

A 'post-American' and 'post-dollar' multipolar world is struggling to be born. In an interview with Sputnik geostrategic analyst Mathew Maavak and CNTV editor Tom McGregor shed light on current geopolitical trends and prospects of Eurasia's integration process.
----
In contrast, a gold yuan backed by the Chinese government may offer a universal guarantee for both domestic and foreign investors, according to Maavak.
PROPPED UP MONEY BEING PROPPED UP BY FAKE GOLD.

Haier fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 10, 2017

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
kremlin propaganda talks about a "post-American world" whaaaaaaaaa

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"Yes, we have 100 billion tons of gold in a room in Beijing. No, you can't see it. Just believe us. Really, it's true!"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Fojar38 posted:

kremlin propaganda talks about a "post-American world" whaaaaaaaaa

I'm as anti-amerikkka as the rest of them but when I think about what would fill the vacuum all I can see is a mashup of every East European stereotype, 1984, fallout and mad max.

That said if the USA keeps on it's current trajectory all i can see is a mashup of every East European stereotype, 1984, fallout and mad max.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

binge crotching posted:

Where the hell is this? I'll be there for work in a few weeks, and I really want to see what Taiwan calls poutine.

https://www.facebook.com/Whalens-%E5%91%B3%E9%84%B0-320813964677441/

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL, I really would like them to move on to a gold standard. The comedy and face loss would be to great for the world to bare.

It cites seizure of silver from a bunch of Australian tax dodgers in the outback as the sign that precious metals are now worthless in the West.

quote:

"Governments routinely prevent the rise of alternatives to their currency monopoly when the economy turns south. Last week, the Australian federal police confiscated a whopping 5,465 ounces of silver (worth roughly $106,000) from a home in the state of Queensland, as part of a larger series of raids instigated by the Australian Tax Office. The message seems clear: Private gold holdings may not be a viable rainy-day hoard. Not in the West," the geostrategic analyst explained.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

StevoMcQueen posted:

Literally just tucked in around the corner from where it was before. Me and the missus thought it'd gone completely (there's a clothing store and a pho restaurant in the building it used to occupy I think), but carry on walking down down the hill along the main street (Hongikro), and it's tucked in behind a clothing store (Forever 21 maybe?) and V Hall.

Oh cool, thanks for saving my life for the Holy Crunchwrap.

kimcicle posted:

I thought the Taco Bell was in Sinchon, not Hongdae?

There's a bunch of TBs in Seoul now.

Jose posted:

these threads are going to sorely miss haier never going back to china. grand fromage needs to step up

I'm sorry I don't encounter nearly as many entertaining situations as Haier or TGA. :smith:

People in Chengdu are too busy sleeping or playing their 18th straight hour of majiang or that one card game they have here to do anything.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

oohhboy posted:

LOL, I really would like them to move on to a gold standard. The comedy and face loss would be to great for the world to bare.

It cites seizure of silver from a bunch of Australian tax dodgers in the outback as the sign that precious metals are now worthless in the West.

If they're worthless why seize them?

He got busted for tax dodging, nothing to do with stockpiling. Also he should have hidden it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Haier posted:

"Yes, we have 100 billion tons of gold in a room in Beijing. No, you can't see it. Just believe us. Really, it's true!"

The first currency backed by iron pyrite.

• Locked thread