Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Those videos are good, he's a pretty decent player but his advice is spot on. One caveat I would say is while playing possession and passing it around a lot can be very important for breaking down a tough opponent, take what the other player gives you. If a guy is playing super aggressively and getting up in your poo poo he's probably leaving big gaps for you to exploit, so don't be afraid to play the sweaty through ball if someone leaves you those openings. Don't get so wrapped up in playing the 'right' way that you fail to exploit opportunities given to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
i picked this up when it was on sale for PS4...first fifa game in like 14 years. Played that Legend mode or whatever, that was like the first 15 minutes of Up when I turn out not to be good enough to let the poor kid from the broken home to keep playing football. :smith:

Any tips for a fifa newcomer?

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Seltzer posted:

I'd say finishing is actually one of the easier things to get good at, it's all about getting the feel down over time though, there are no real secrets. The only hard and fast facts this year are- Always go far post if possible, Only finesse shot this year if a player has high curve and/or the finesse shot trait and only finesse far post or if you are completely center to the goal and the keeper is coming out.

If you have any other basic questions feel free to ask, a lot of the game is not explained to you and just is instinct if you've played enough fifa. Stuff like clogging a lane/bumping into a stiker when an opponent triggers a run seems obvious but it's probably not and that's just one small thing. I currently play on default tactics with no instructions on any players but the attacker but that's because I'm really good at defense and don't mind handicapping myself a bit to have more fun and have more dynamic build up play. That being said if you're new setting your CDM and both fullbacks to stay back on attacking is probably a good idea. Defensive/counter attacking tactics may help also but I genuinely believe they're a crutch (mostly counter attack).

Thanks. Right now I'm trying to find any bad habits to drop and I figure a lot of stuff around field awareness, etc. will come once I have a mental framework to work with. I don't think any game other than Rocket League has kicked off my competitive streak quite like this.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Strenots posted:

Thanks. Right now I'm trying to find any bad habits to drop and I figure a lot of stuff around field awareness, etc. will come once I have a mental framework to work with. I don't think any game other than Rocket League has kicked off my competitive streak quite like this.

Just be prepared to deal with a lot of bullshit in the game. While I'm not certain on momentum/scripting taking place, the inconsistency in games (which could be attributed to lag I guess) can make your team play differently from game to game.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Like 75% of it at LEAST is lag, yeah. There may be other factors there but they're small poo poo in comparison to the differences your connection to the other player can make.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
95% of the poo poo people post to r\fifa as proof of scripting is very obviously glitches related to the way FIFA compensates for latency.

People show players colliding into nothing or the ball changing its trajectory midair and are so :tinfoil: they don't get it's just the game trying to correct for desync between the two clients.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
With regards to finishing, I'm noticing I was hitting a significant number of shots at the crossbar this last WL. I know I can just do low driven shots but based on what happened, does that actually reflect me pressing the shoot button slightly too long or is that just general bad luck?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Potential inform Perisic this week, oh joy oh bliss.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Serie A is so expensive this year, I'm eyeing that Giroud card for my ligue 1 squad with his green link to Martial.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's really not that expensive, my team is like 10k if you substitute some of the cheap but good midfielders for my expensive ones, and the team has always played really well.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Serie A is always the best bang for buck I've noticed.

Also, gently caress these dumb loan cards. I think next FIFA I'll purchase the one that provides smaller packs/draft tokens, rather than loan cards and larger packs.

I'm ready to tear it up for 3 straight matches with this squad,

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Haha

Out of curiosity also how many goals do you score per game on avg Tzen? Your 118 in 118 with Modeste is really impressive, I dunno if you like concentrate goals on him or something but I don't even see pros that average a goal per game with individual players for the most part

My highest is like 108 in 170 with SBC Muller which granted is way more than any other CAM I've had in the past, that 99 positioning just makes him magically appear at all the rebounds I think

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
As long as I'm about 1:1 games played/goal contributions for my 3 forwards I'm pretty happy. So goals+ assists. That's probably a good number to shoot for for your main goal scorers.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
drat so you average 3 goals a game? That's sick, I'm still at like 1.7

Edit: Oops, math. I guess not all goals have assists though so that's probably like 2+ tho still

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 12, 2017

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

Haha

Out of curiosity also how many goals do you score per game on avg Tzen? Your 118 in 118 with Modeste is really impressive, I dunno if you like concentrate goals on him or something but I don't even see pros that average a goal per game with individual players for the most part

My highest is like 108 in 170 with SBC Muller which granted is way more than any other CAM I've had in the past, that 99 positioning just makes him magically appear at all the rebounds I think
I'd say my average is 1.5-2 goals a game. I bleed a lot of goals and often have lots of 2-3, 3-3, etc. scorelines as well. I tend to filter all my goals through IF-Modeste with my A-squad. On my B-squad it's more evenly spread among my LW/ST/RW. Also IF-Modeste has I think, single-digit assists. While IF-Forsberg at CAM has 45+ assists or so.

My A-squad:
Douglas Costa - 53 games, 6 goals
IF-Modeste - 118 games, 118 goals
Bellarabi - 36 games, 8 goals
and at CAM, IF-Forsberg - 90 games, 26 goals

B-Squad:
Schurrle - 135 games, 33 goals
Hahn - 18 games, 7 goals (before Hahn, Muller had a similar ratio)
Herrmann - 47 games, 7 goals
and at CAM, Draxler - 117 games, 34 goals

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah my goals are spread out a lot more evenly between my 3 forwards, but I think that's normal for the 4321.

My midfielders rarely score or assist, but they make the 2nd to last pass a whole lot of the time, but that doesn't count on the stats sheet, so almost every goal and assist is attributed to my forwards.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I have a couple of strikers close to or above one goal a game but they are all strikers in a 433. Wingers act much more as providers than scorers this year so it makes sense. For me in the 433(4) my top scorers go ST>>>CAM>>LW RW>CM >everyone else. I usually run to tell one winger to cut in and I keep one winger on default so they stay wide and can stretch the play.

Just browsing through some strikers I have 15 in 18 with SIF al soma, 32 in 39 with IF Benedetto, 10 in 10 with Movember Fletcher, and I can honestly hardly believe this but 32 goals in 26 with Havenaar. I wish the J-league actually got IFs this year to link to him. Most of my solo strikers have a really good record but I sell attacking players on a lot, bring in IFs, etc. so I don't have many large sample stats like I do with my stalwart CBs, GKs etc.

I know I poo poo all over this TOTY, and it is pretty bad, but the more I think about it, that Dani Alves TOTY card could be an awesome pick up provided he drops to a reasonable price. He would be a 5atb king and having him would also be awesome to sub on at CAM, LW etc.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 12, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my Aubameyang is my solo striker and he has about .5 per game but I was also running two strikers before and it feels like he's done better since then

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There's plenty of great Serie A players this year but it at least on PC it seems like every half decent one goes for 100K+, even Marchisio is 90k.

I was looking into ditching my ligue 1\bundesliga players and replacing them with Icardi\Perisic\Brozovic who seem like a ridiculous power trio but each of them is like 150k and no way can I afford that.

So I bought packs instead and unpacked Giroud so it's back to plan 1. I hope he'll be better than Balo who is just a lazy sack of poo poo who's never in the box and runs out of stamina by the 60th minute.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 12, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to lay this off to Sanches but it went right past him because I guess I held the button too long and then, uh,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEtf2kJEKXc

Jesus Christ Muller :stare:

That wasn't even away from the goalie, he just powered it in there from 21 yards on the first touch like it was a tap in

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I just beat some guy in division 1 with one of if not THE most expensive team i've ever seen.

He scored first 3 times and I kept pulling it back to tie and then wound up going up 6-3 and then he scored an own goal like a big baby.

He wasn't even that bad of a player really, not like you see with god tier teams sometimes, but yeah loving owned.

his team: https://www.futbin.com/analysis/ea/xn21k7PAnMsjj/PS4

my team: https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/1080702

This game just frustrates the poo poo out of me sometimes, but poo poo like this is better than basically any other game. The lows are so incredibly low, but the highs are insanely high.

e: Also got an untradeable IF Eriksen from the guaranteed totw SBC, so that's cool.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 12, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh nice on the Eriksen, that guy rules

I played a TOTY Messi the other day who was uh VERY HARD to defend when played well, lol.

Only lost 3-2 which wasn't too bad.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I got sent down to Division 3 because I'm trying to learn to play with higher pressure on defense and obviously when I gently caress up it's real bad but anyway I think I set a record for most games played in 10 minutes this morning with 3 entire results from ragequits

This was the last one, which may be the fastest I've ever gotten a ragequit that wasn't people quitting in FIFA 10 at the first 5 mins of a tournament where it didn't count

Here is the last entire game I played, 1:18 in length lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SkOTSQW6MY

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Lmao, that's a pretty quick game.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

I just beat some guy in division 1 with one of if not THE most expensive team i've ever seen.

He scored first 3 times and I kept pulling it back to tie and then wound up going up 6-3 and then he scored an own goal like a big baby.

He wasn't even that bad of a player really, not like you see with god tier teams sometimes, but yeah loving owned.

his team: https://www.futbin.com/analysis/ea/xn21k7PAnMsjj/PS4

my team: https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/1080702

This game just frustrates the poo poo out of me sometimes, but poo poo like this is better than basically any other game. The lows are so incredibly low, but the highs are insanely high.

e: Also got an untradeable IF Eriksen from the guaranteed totw SBC, so that's cool.
I swear the players with god-tier teams are the worst. The teams I worry about the most are the all Nigerian squads or bronze/silver ones. Those dudes always wreck me.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I got sent down to Division 3 because I'm trying to learn to play with higher pressure on defense and obviously when I gently caress up it's real bad but anyway I think I set a record for most games played in 10 minutes this morning with 3 entire results from ragequits

This was the last one, which may be the fastest I've ever gotten a ragequit that wasn't people quitting in FIFA 10 at the first 5 mins of a tournament where it didn't count

Here is the last entire game I played, 1:18 in length lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SkOTSQW6MY
The best result. Besides scoring sweet sweet goals, nothing makes me more happy in FIFA than causing someone to ragequit.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Love me a 90' game winner,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOdOjm5fru8&t=5s

Also, I don't score enough of these goals, they're very fun to pull off,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsUkhrEcW5Q&t=32s

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Holy poo poo the stats on TOTY Marcelo. I'm definetly gonna waste the majority of my coins on that card. TOTY cards have appreciated every year after they go out of packs too so not a bad pick up. I could use Alves in a Serie A team but Marcelo has those 4* skills and better shooting stats.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tzen posted:

I swear the players with god-tier teams are the worst. The teams I worry about the most are the all Nigerian squads or bronze/silver ones. Those dudes always wreck me.

Yeah usually this is my experience as well, but like I said this guy was actually pretty good, so it felt doubly satisfying to stay in the game and then stomp his poo poo in at the end.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Seltzer posted:

Holy poo poo the stats on TOTY Marcelo. I'm definetly gonna waste the majority of my coins on that card. TOTY cards have appreciated every year after they go out of packs too so not a bad pick up. I could use Alves in a Serie A team but Marcelo has those 4* skills and better shooting stats.

Lol he's 91+ rated in every position, crazy. (e: except 89 in ST)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

Yeah usually this is my experience as well, but like I said this guy was actually pretty good, so it felt doubly satisfying to stay in the game and then stomp his poo poo in at the end.
Ah yeah, I didn't mean to come off that way. Yeah I have faced a few of those players that actually know how to use Messi/Ronaldo, but it's rare is all I meant. - Usually I'm just happy to lose by a goal or 2. Winning is out of the question for me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So far IF Giroud has 3 goals and 1 assist in two matches. He actually gets in the box and smashes headers in.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

I finally feel like I'm hitting my stride and man it feels good. I'm sure i'll go 0-10 tonight because that's how this God forsaken game goes for me, but I at least feel like my opponents are earning their goals rather than capitalizing on stupid defensive moves on my part.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Monthlies are out, got Sneijder, Lallana, and Gayle. Pretty happy with that actually.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I actually got a pretty strong pack, 3 86s - Azpilicueta, Nainggolan, and Silva

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

I actually got a pretty strong pack, 3 86s - Azpilicueta, Nainggolan, and Silva

drat, that's really good. Azpi is good and Nainggolan is god tier so.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I swapped out Al Soma so that I could just sub Nainggolan in for Renato Sanches or Vidal partway through every game

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm trying out Lallana instead of Dembele in my BPL midfield, which seems fine so far. I'm a bit worried about his stamina, and also not having a single actually tall guy worries me as well, but he seems pretty good so far. Very, very active, runs around and gets stuck in.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Tzen posted:

IF Modeste success story

What chem style do you have on him? I have him on Hunter and he scores often enough, but I've been thinking about moving him to Sniper to boost his dribbling. I feel that if he would just turn with the ball a bit faster he'd fit my play style perfectly.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

aborn posted:

What chem style do you have on him? I have him on Hunter and he scores often enough, but I've been thinking about moving him to Sniper to boost his dribbling. I feel that if he would just turn with the ball a bit faster he'd fit my play style perfectly.
I use Hunter on him. I've noticed some instances of him not turning as quick as I'd like, but I've learned his nuances and everything he touches is gold for me. He now sits at 121 games, 121 goals.

Tzen fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
If anyone is looking for a pretty fun dude to use on a Serie A or Argentine team look at Gomez IF from Atalanta. Throw a deadeye chem on him and his face stats are:

91 pace
90 shooting
89 dribbling
89 passing

Some underlying highlights like:
95 agility
97 balance
97 short passing
95 positioning
92 finishing

He's an 83 rated player who's rating per position is 89 for CAM, which is two points higher than NIF Iniesta.

Artist puts him at a 91 rating for the position with completely maxed out dribbling stats.

Oh, and he's only 20k. 4 star skills and 4 star weak foot.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 13, 2017

• Locked thread