Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pick posted:

(Re: widowers remarrying) Before anybody gets on my rear end, that's not a value judgment, it's just something that is really noticeably common.

I've always wondered if this is the product of a lot of older men not being taught how to cook/clean/fend for themselves domestically, because it was just assumed that their wives would take care of it, and then finding themselves totally at sea when it comes to the practicalities of living alone (in addition to the loneliness/grief). My grandfather had to be taught how to boil an egg after my grandmother died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

I've always wondered if this is the product of a lot of older men not being taught how to cook/clean/fend for themselves domestically, because it was just assumed that their wives would take care of it, and then finding themselves totally at sea when it comes to the practicalities of living alone (in addition to the loneliness/grief). My grandfather had to be taught how to boil an egg after my grandmother died.

I taught current GBS mod Troposphere how to boil pasta

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
What about if/when our medicine gets advanced enough prevent children with physical or mental disabilities asked the 20 page derail.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

What about if/when our medicine gets advanced enough prevent children with physical or mental disabilities asked the 20 page derail.

well let's just say troposphere was like 23 and didn't know how to boil pasta

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pick posted:

well let's just say troposphere was like 23 and didn't know how to boil pasta

Was he illiterate? I didn't know how to boil pasta, then I read the back of the package and knew.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's sad that a 60 year old widower is reaching out for a form of human intimacy in his later years and all the thread can think is "lol dumb man can't take care of himself"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Was he illiterate? I didn't know how to boil pasta, then I read the back of the package and knew.

Troposphere is a woman and she knows how to make really good tea, but was at that time unfamiliar with the primary feed of the wily Italian

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I think it's sad that a 60 year old widower is reaching out for a form of human intimacy in his later years and all the thread can think is "lol dumb man can't take care of himself"

In the off-event you're serious: it's really not stupidity, it's just socialization, and it's an effect that I expect to see fade now that the societal expectation is that men will live on their own for a while as adults and thus have to take care of themselves (although there will always be goons). In the specific case of the r/relationships post, I do think it sounds like the dad is more just lonely and appreciative of someone who shares an experience with recently losing a spouse, and I think the OP's BUT YOU MADE A PROOOMISE DAAAAAD is pretty fuckin' churlish. LDR straight to marriage is probably not a great idea, but screw it, dude's 60, let him take a shot.

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

ravenkult posted:

Nah, they internalize everything and just pretend everything is fine in public. I know a girl who wasn't allowed to have birthdays in her relationship. Lasted 6 years and then got dumped.

Holy poo poo that's terrifying. My ex didn't want me talking to most of my family,wouldn't even talk to my mom near the end,would make me change clothes if he didn't like them,throw tantrums in public too for no reason,would get mad if I spent time with any female friends,didn't want me to have male ones,he would go into one of his rages and push me around but later it would be my fault. The last time he did it he ended up leaving me bruised from neck down because of what I fell on and stood over me with his fist raised. The only reason he didn't hit me was a neighbor of mine stopped him. Then about 6 months later he left me out of the blue after 12 years. At first I was devastated but after that I realized I was finally free to be myself,to talk to my family,to have friends and wear whatever I wanted. I really hope that woman runs because nothing good is going to come from that. He's just going to continue to get more horrible and her self esteem is going to rock bottom and she's going to get into the mindset that she deserves it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ride The Gravitron posted:

if your home ec game is good enough what do you need human intimacy for

brb gonna bake an angelfood cake and eat the whole thing by myself, and ain't nobody gonna stop me cause there ain't nobody to care

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tolkien minority posted:

me? i say eugenics is... good! *strokes hitler mustache*

I feel like it's difficult to stroke a Hitler stache

I'm thinking of more of a rubbing motion

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if your home ec game is good enough what do you need human intimacy for

brb gonna bake an angelfood cake and eat the whole thing by myself, and ain't nobody gonna stop me cause there ain't nobody to care

One of my coworkers divorced her useless husband (not a terrible guy, just useless, like if you put a mannequin inside some pants and put it on the couch and then sometimes on the toilet), and she'd rent out the spare room in the house, almost always to a recently-divorced man who just needed a place to crash for a while. There was one guy she had there for like three years, and though the room came with use of the kitchen, he ordered pizza every single day for all three years.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
When my mom left my dad he would eat top ramen raw. Just sprinkle the packet on the noodle wad and eat it like a giant cracker.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FishBulb posted:

When my mom left my dad he would eat top ramen raw. Just sprinkle the packet on the noodle wad and eat it like a giant cracker.

What an idiot doesn't he know to break the noodles up in the bag and mix the seasonings in.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

One of my coworkers divorced her useless husband (not a terrible guy, just useless, like if you put a mannequin inside some pants and put it on the couch and then sometimes on the toilet), and she'd rent out the spare room in the house, almost always to a recently-divorced man who just needed a place to crash for a while. There was one guy she had there for like three years, and though the room came with use of the kitchen, he ordered pizza every single day for all three years.

I've sublet and lived in house shares for about a decade all together and this is easily more common than guys who can cook more than four recipes, hot dogs and fried eggs inclusive

I hear a lot of women complain that dudes don't do poo poo at home because they expect women to take care of all the work to make life civilized, the reality is without women most dudes will cheerfully live in a trash heap and eat the same pepperoni pizza Hot Pockets forever without noticing a difference

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 10, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I've sublet and lived in house shares for about a decade all together and this is easily more common than guys who can cook more than four recipes, fried and scrambled eggs inclusive

Presumably this guy didn't have the standard shared-house excuse of "ugh, someone cooked Spaghetti for Five Billion over the weekend and there's three-day-old marinara all over every food-prep surface, I guess it's Burger King again"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I've sublet and lived in house shares for about a decade all together and this is easily more common than guys who can cook more than four recipes, hot dogs and fried eggs inclusive

I hear a lot of women complain that dudes don't do poo poo at home because they expect women to take care of all the work to make life civilized, the reality is without women most dudes will cheerfully live in a trash heap and eat the same pepperoni pizza Hot Pockets forever without noticing a difference

that's not living!!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pick posted:

Widowers tend to remarry REALLY quickly.

This kind of made my eyes pop, especially as it's personally relevant. Did some quick reading and googling and, yes, it appears to be a known phenomenon. I had to laugh at the line of "younger people tend to remarry more". No poo poo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like most people don't know how or basically never cook in 2017 regardless of gender. Just look around you at a grocery store almost every cart is full of boxes of processed garbage, piled high.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like most people don't know how or basically never cook in 2017 regardless of gender. Just look around you at a grocery store almost every cart is full of boxes of processed garbage, piled high.

Nah, home/scratched cook stuff is super trendy right now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Only in the sense of complete horse poo poo services like Blue Apron that send diced onions to your door because god knows you don't know how to apply a knife to an onion, that's some serious École Lenôtre level poo poo right there

I remember going to the UK to visit some underclassmen doing study abroad and I remember being aghast that they didn't know how to use a steel properly, it did not occur to me at that time in my life that there would be people who could look at an egg and go, poo poo, where do I even BEGIN with this thing

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 10, 2017

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wish Alex Guarnaschelli was my wife and would make me delicious food

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

Knowing a couple dishes to impress your 20 something friends on the weekend maybe but not on a consistent basis. Might vary from place to place tho I guess, just going by what I see when im shopping. My gf and I cook most of our meals and that does not seem common among peers or coworkers to either of us.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Not knowing how to boil pasta seems like it's in between not knowing how to do laundry, and not knowing how to wipe your own rear end. Closer to wiping your rear end though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Me [27F] with my Fiance[30M] claims he can't cook, not even a grilled cheese.Relationships
submitted 4 months ago * by ThePugLady

I am just so frustrated so I'll keep it short. My fiance claims he can't cook which I don't understand. I feel it's a cop out to make me cook, because I can cook with a recipe. Today he was supposed to get dinner started for me, it was garlic shrimp pasta. Basically boil pasta, put precooked frozen shrimp on a skillet, butter, garlic, and done. I sent him a recipe stating that with very specific step by step instructions off the internet. While I'm grocery shopping all I get are texts saying I can't do it, it's going to come out terrible, I don't understand how to make it. I said it's step by step, what part of the instructions are you stuck on, no answer. I come home I'm carrying a ton of groceries and he can't even open the door for me. All I hear inside is cussing. I manage to get in and he's in there cussing gently caress this gently caress that saying his hands are full he can't help me. I sit down and all I hear about is how the pasta is terrible & now he has to clean the kitchen (it was like 2 bowls he had out). I said why is it terrible, did you use a measuring spoon (this is the only thing I could think of since the instructions were very basic) he says no. I said well you don't build a house without a tape measure. He started flipping out about how I belittle him for trying, but really who wants to come home to cussing & then they're telling you the end product is terrible etc. So we start going back and forth I say I wanted help I cook dinner every day & his step dad cooks for his mom & my dad cooked for my mom sometimes. I said my dad started out only cooking pancake mix & grilled cheese now he has his go to meals. He starts saying he can't cook grilled cheese. I'm like what. He says he can't cook grilled cheese because it doesn't come out right. We're talking about a 30 year old man who can make ramen & spaghetti if he was so inclined.

I just feel like it's a big excuse. I feel like all the bitching is so that I know never to make him cook again because I'll think it's so much easier to just do it myself & not hear the bitching. Am I crazy, is it really that hard to follow a recipe? I'm on here trying to vent because at this point I feel like saying I don't even want to be with someone who claims they can't put a piece of cheese between two slices of bread and put it in a pan. Like how do you manage to pick up the food and put it to your mouth if you're that helpless?!?!?!

He tried to spin it that I don't appreciate him trying, how can I when he's like I can't do it, it loving sucks, the food is terrible. I told him it's about his attitude. He has a degree in CAD among other things like how can't he read instructions!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

How do I [25F] make my boyfriend [22M] understand that this is gross??Relationships
submitted 8 months ago by grossornot

So the thing is my boyfriend and I have extremely different cleaning standards and there's things I find completely disgusting that he thinks are just fine, and this is one of them: we hang out naked in our place a lot, and he was wrapped in a blanket yesterday and farted and then immediately went to the bathroom and I realised there was a bunch of small stains there where his bum had just been... so yeah there was a bit of poop there. I thought it was kinda funny but gross enough not to use that blanket any more until it had been washed, and he said it was okay to use but said "gently caress it" and tossed it aside.

Then today, after we discussed it a little bit further and I made it clear a poopy blanket was gross, I saw him wearing it again while he was cooking something for me. Of course I feel disgusted and said I won't eat something that's been made by someone wrapped in a poopy blanket, but he thinks I'm being unreasonable.

So I am turning to you, Reddit peeps, because I need to know: am I really being unreasonable, or am I right thinking it's gross??

tl;dr: am I right stating that a poop-stained blanket should not be worn, least of all while cooking?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:stare:

quote:

[Update] Me [24F] with my SO [27M] of 1 year, he destroyed a sentimental item of mine and sees nothing wrong with it because of the circumstances.Updates
submitted 1 year ago by candlethrowaway1

My original post can be found here; click and the tl;dr is;
tl;dr: Boyfriend burned a candle my deceased sister made for me because we were without power. We have a surplus of candles that he completely ignored. Can/should I forgive him for this? If so, how?
A few people have PM'd me in recent days asking for an update so here it goes.

My original post was the day before Thanksgiving. Eugene and I had planned to spend Thanksgiving with my parents but that did not end up happening.

On my way home from work, I stopped at a local craft store to pick up supplies to make a new memorial candle for Carrie. Thank you /u/70ms for the amazing, heartfelt suggestion. My parents and I spend a day remembering Carrie and making a new candle using some of the wax from the original candle. I also ended up purchasing a locket and having some of the remaining wax from the candle put inside and the locket welded shut by a friend.
On the evening of my post, I got home and Eugene said he wanted to talk. I agreed we needed to clear the air before Thanksgiving so we sat in the living room and started to talk. I was not ready for what he told me.
A few commentors from my original post seemed to hit the nail on the head in a way. Eugene told me that when we first met, he was extremely turned on by the fact that I was essentially a damsel in distress. I just lost my sister recently, I was in a massive depression, I wasn't myself. And that turned him on both sexually and in a "protective" way.

Over the past few months, I've started to become more myself. I got promoted at my job, I've joined a cooking class and have gotten out more, and I've definitely moved away from being a damsel in distress in the eyes of Eugene.
He went on to explain that he burned the candle in hopes that it would throw me back into that phase because that is the only time he felt he was attracted to me. That's right, he is not attracted to me unless I'm upset, crying, and a damsel in distress. When I prodded for more information, he told me that every one prior to me that he had dated had either just experienced a loss or was "in need of rescuing".

Eugene told me he was no longer attracted to me. He dreaded having sex with me because he could no longer be the "hero" that was rescuing me which is what turned him on in the first place. He didn't like go in public with me because I had started to put myself together more (like not just wearing a t-shirt and jeans like I did when depressed) and that attracted the stares of other men that he saw as a threat (taking away his damsel in distress). Eugene had a whole laundry list of things he hated doing now because I wasn't in a funk anymore.

I told him if that was the case then we needed to break up. He agreed and said he would go stay with a friend until he could make new living arrangements. My name is the only one on our house and I told him I would give him 60 days to vacate the house which he agreed was fair.

Over the past few weeks, I've spent a lot of time with my parents and with close friends. I don't really feel like I've been dumped, or broke up with someone. I just feel like me.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Pick posted:

Poopy blanket

I don't even want to think about that dude's underwear drawer

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

My girlfriend always pretends she is dead
submitted 4 years ago * by averagejo007

Hey Reddit, I was hoping to get some advice about a problem I've been having with my SO.

First off, we are both 22 (M & F), finishing our last year of college. We've been together almost 6 months, and I really do adore her, aside from this one kind of weird behavioral trait. We have very similar interests, share many mutual friends, and get along on a day-to-day basis quite well.

The problem is that every few weeks, she gets it into her head that I don't appreciate her enough. I'll think everything is going well, and then out of the blue, she'll accuse me of taking her for granted. I really don't think this is the case, as I go out of my way to compliment her and say "I love you" almost every day.

Anyways, when this happens, she'll demand that we do this "couple-building activity" where she pretends she is dead. She'll light some candles, play "Amazing Grace" (the song they played at my grandfather's funeral a few years back), lay in bed, and cover herself with a sheet. Then I am supposed to kneel down and say some "last words" to her. She gets pissed if I don't cry, sometimes withholding sex as punishment.

I've always known that she has some self-esteem issues, but this seems a little much. I've tried talking to her about it, but she just gets defensive and says that this activity is necessary for me to grow emotionally and our relationship to grow stronger. I really don't know what to do. I don't want to lose her, but I can't keep mourning her death every few weeks.

So tell me Reddit, does this sound like normal behavior? How can I show her that I appreciate her without doing this activity?

tl;dr: My girlfriend doesn't think that I appreciate her enough, so every few weeks she makes us do a couple-building activity where she pretends to be dead while I give her eulogy.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Pick posted:

Only in the sense of complete horse poo poo services like Blue Apron that send diced onions to your door because god knows you don't know how to apply a knife to an onion, that's some serious École Lenôtre level poo poo right there

Probably just walked into some sort of trap but that's not true of Blue Apron. The meat comes boneless/skinless but everything else requires prep.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eldred posted:

Probably just walked into some sort of trap but that's not true of Blue Apron. The meat comes boneless/skinless but everything else requires prep.

It's still dumb poo poo for people who love to be overcharged.

They put the loving recipes on their site for free

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Pick posted:

Eulogy girl

This is the weirdest fuckin' fetish. I know there's been a lot of hemming and hawing about what is the weirdest fetish in this thread, but this is it.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Pick posted:

My girlfriend always pretends she is dead

What the hell? ? ?

This is the funniest post yet found. Nothing can top this.

Is this the female mra (wra?) equivalent of The Door? Going to do this to my wife the next time I feel unappreciated loving lol

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Enzo posted:

What the hell? ? ?

This is the funniest post yet found. Nothing can top this.

Is this the female mra (wra?) equivalent of The Door? Going to do this to my wife the next time I feel unappreciated loving lol

the gf has a weird death fetish

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NomChompsky posted:

This is the weirdest fuckin' fetish. I know there's been a lot of hemming and hawing about what is the weirdest fetish in this thread, but this is it.

The one I posted right above is just as weird but way more insidious imho

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pick posted:

idk getting off an feeling like you're "saving someone" or a damsel in distress or whatever might be kinda hosed up (and certainly is in that dudes case) but i dont think its nearly as weird as the lady who makes her boyfriend give her a eulogy before they bone

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tolkien minority posted:

idk getting off an feeling like you're "saving someone" or a damsel in distress or whatever might be kinda hosed up (and certainly is in that dudes case) but i dont think its nearly as weird as the lady who makes her boyfriend give her a eulogy before they bone

it's pretty loving weird if to maintain this fantasy you intentionally destroy mementos of their family members who died tragically young

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pick posted:

it's pretty loving weird if to maintain this fantasy you intentionally destroy mementos of their family members who died tragically young

i dont mean weird as in not hosed up or strange (its both) i just find eulogy lady a lot more surreal wheras that one is weird in a more "people suck" way

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is it weird my girlfriend constantly holds fake funerals for her where I must appease her every whim and which involves her co-opting memories I have of close relatives who did die or else she berates me and claims I don't care enough?

We just don't know dude, science has only come so far.

Edit: Like, come on dude, how are you even rationalizing this to yourself? I can't name a single story created by human beings this ridiculous and we invented a religion based around stitching a dead husbands penis back on.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Pick posted:

Yeah that one is definitely pretty awful but I guess I didn't interpret it as fetish-like.