Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is the CMs using three XIII characters, or using ONLY three?

Exactly three characters, all of whom must be from XIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
100 gem got Cids BSB. If I get a couple good magic items in the Summoner pull I'll finally be able to field a magic team

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Turns out using Greg in the new raid dungeon is hilarious. BSB, immediately put Reflect up with Vanille, dual thrust, watch all the healers in the group get bored as hell because there is 0 incoming damage at all until Reflect/taunt wears off.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Think I'll do 100 gem pulls again for a few banners. Did one on each of the six about at the moment.

Etro's Embrace so I think Lightning will be getting her MC3 soon, Lenna's Burst but I have Aerith's already, still, another stat stick for V, and Dorgann's Blade which doesn't look amazing but I finally have a V Synergy sword.

Also is it just me or is Lightning Strike basically almost as good as a Burst? Just without Haste and Commands and Burst Mode. I guess I wanna get her Spellblade abilities unlocked and get some mileage on that spiffy new Thundering Twinstrike. That's gonna take a while

Also also I got a nicer phone so I put the sparkly menus back on and wow, the Record Sphere menu is so much fancier. Took me a while to work out the indication for having enough motes was entirely different. Thought I'd somehow lost all my 3 Star ones for a while.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is the CMs using three XIII characters, or using ONLY three?

UHD posted:

Exactly three characters, all of whom must be from XIII.

Throwing this out there to avoid confusion. The ++ and +++ Cid Missions require a party of 3 XIII characters only. The Ultimate+ requires XIII characters only, but you can use a full party of 5.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
I just had Tyro's OS hit the Turtle boss for 30k+ damage. :v: How the hell did that happen!?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

gently caress yeah, got Raines BSB on my first 50 mythril. Now I have 100 spare mythril to throw around.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Alphinaud's Deployment Tactics is hilarious in multiplayer. Oh you just did a massive AoE attack right before dispelling our buffs? Here, eat 30k damage :getin:

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
is gil ever a problem? i just started during obs fest and I feel like i cant possibly ever run out of it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

MannersPlease posted:

is gil ever a problem? i just started during obs fest and I feel like i cant possibly ever run out of it.
Not for the vast majority of the game. If you get three copies of a relic, especially a 5* one, and want to reforge it up to a fourth level, then you'll start having to pay figures in the millions though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oof, Ult+ Lightning hurts. I thought I'd have more than enough stuff to do the CM but that damage is hard to keep up with. Curses!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oof, Ult+ Lightning hurts. I thought I'd have more than enough stuff to do the CM but that damage is hard to keep up with. Curses!

She's basically U+ Bartz with Ifrit-level speed. Don't expect her to let up at any point.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Did another 300-gem pull out of impulse, was rewarded with Meteorblaze. :toot: While the big prizes would have been the two BSBs, getting an OSB and a Hastega/Stacking Faithga is absolutely top notch.

The only problem is trying to figure out how to fit Hope/Raines/Celes/Serah on a team while still having room for a supportbot and healer. I guess if I brought Penelo, but I don't have her burst.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Repeat Flamberge (one was bad enough), Cid's Finery (Cool but not huge on the doom inflict without his BSB to synergize), Canopus Amps (Kind of nice but I don't see myself swapping out Ramza), and Meteorblaze :woop:

After almost a year, finally got a Serah weapon, and it's a stacking faithga to boot! :toot:

On that note, I now have soul breaks (and decent ones) for every XIII character except Snow. I am okay with this. :getin:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MannersPlease posted:

Orb Fests generally break the whole gil system. Back before the first Orb Fest, I would occasionally have to run the gil daily (the horrors!) to be able to fully hone abilities or upgrade weapons, but once you've been through even one Fest it's usually not an issue. Like Panic! said, it will cost a lot to do some of the bigger reforges, but by the time you even care about that, you'll probably have been through another Fest or two, so don't worry about it.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
D200 Bart's pretty hard. Remember to save a wall cast for right after he dispells. Even so he dishes out a ton of damage unless your party is on the ball in getting mitigation back up.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I guess I'm not seeing why the Raines BSB is so good tonight. But I haven't been using much of a mage team so maybe that's why? Is the BSB just spam Command 1 for instant-cast DPS?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

IllegallySober posted:

I guess I'm not seeing why the Raines BSB is so good tonight. But I haven't been using much of a mage team so maybe that's why? Is the BSB just spam Command 1 for instant-cast DPS?

It combines the magic boost of Sheepsong with the stacking command magic boost of Maria/Papalymo's BSBs and adds instant cast 4-hit magic spam that can spit out damage as fast as the 6 hit variant without having to worry about magic thresholds. It's also Holy/Dark.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 10, 2017

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

McDragon posted:

That tortoise was a fucker. Decided to forgo trying for mastery and threw Dismissal out the second try. I think I'm just going to ignore delay conditions from now on. It's just worthless and never helps. Still managed to master Lightning doing that, but not the shell bastard.

Will try that mech tomorrow, probably a good chance to take Kain's Burst for a spin but I can't be arsed right now.

That mech fight took me a few tries until I realized that Retaliate completely breaks it. Retaliate works on all of its physical attacks and all of its magic attacks deal damage based on your current health, so I don't think it is capable of taking a character down to below 1 HP as long as you keep Retaliate up.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Huh, turns out I didn't have Flamberge, I had Blazefire Saber. Smite's not too bad if I decide to use Lightning on something that resists, uh, lightning, but I can't see myself using it over Crushing Blow in most cases.

Tempted to try one more roll for one of the BSBs...

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Varance posted:

It combines the magic boost of sheepsong with the command magic boost of Maria/Papalymo's BSBs and adds instant cast 4-hit magic spam that can spit out damage as fast as the 6 hit variant without having to worry about magic thresholds. It's also Holy/Dark.

Got it. Might be worth a pull then- but I'm not seeing a whole lot else that's must-have on the banner either. Maybe I'll wait a day or two.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Despite Barthandelus being a major rear end in a top hat, my group managed to master Ult+. Someone brought Refia with burst and my god :allears: She practically took down the fire weak armor piece on her own and then absolutely wrecked the last chunk of his health.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the Apocalypse fight, though. Currently running Vaan (mental breakdown, life siphon, BSB) and Alphinaud (waterja, thundaja, Deployment Tactics + BSB). I'd actually hone and use chain magic on Alpho but I don't got the motes to dive him for 5* black magic yet. Any advice?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

Part of it is that Raines can self-buff himself to both the Magic buff soft cap and the actual Magic soft cap. He can cast Memento Mori before BSBing for +30% MAG (and extra entry damage on the BSB), his command 2 is a stacking +30% MAG self-buff, and the BSB entry itself is party +30% MAG/DEF. That's 1.3*1.3*1.3*1.2(burst mode) = 263.64% Magic, which is +13.64% over the soft cap of 250%. Assuming he has a 5 star mage weapon (*coughHisBSBIsOnecough*), even if it isn't synergy, he should be able to self-buff to around 1000 Magic (soft cap is something like 1070). Also his weapon is a +dark weapon, meaning you've always got a +20% damage weapon floating around for him. Furthermore, all of his attacks are dark/holy, which are extremely common weaknesses for U+/++/Ruin/Ruin+ bosses (which tend to be either main characters or major villains). Then his command 1 has the 4 hit + powerchain going for it.

It's the best total package DPS mage burst in the game, and unlike the better pure DPS bursts (Maria, Papalymo, Edea), his doesn't require any other party support. You can run Raines BSB in an otherwise purely physical team with purely physical buffs and not only will he still do stellar damage, he'll also make the rest of the team better to the tune of +30% stacking Defense.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Zurai posted:

Part of it is that Raines can self-buff himself to both the Magic buff soft cap and the actual Magic soft cap. He can cast Memento Mori before BSBing for +30% MAG (and extra entry damage on the BSB), his command 2 is a stacking +30% MAG self-buff, and the BSB entry itself is party +30% MAG/DEF. That's 1.3*1.3*1.3*1.2(burst mode) = 263.64% Magic, which is +13.64% over the soft cap of 250%. Assuming he has a 5 star mage weapon (*coughHisBSBIsOnecough*), even if it isn't synergy, he should be able to self-buff to around 1000 Magic (soft cap is something like 1070). Also his weapon is a +dark weapon, meaning you've always got a +20% damage weapon floating around for him. Furthermore, all of his attacks are dark/holy, which are extremely common weaknesses for U+/++/Ruin/Ruin+ bosses (which tend to be either main characters or major villains). Then his command 1 has the 4 hit + powerchain going for it.

It's the best total package DPS mage burst in the game, and unlike the better pure DPS bursts (Maria, Papalymo, Edea), his doesn't require any other party support. You can run Raines BSB in an otherwise purely physical team with purely physical buffs and not only will he still do stellar damage, he'll also make the rest of the team better to the tune of +30% stacking Defense.

Welp, okay. You and Varance made an excellent case. One pull it is.

I was gonna say "swing and a miss" but a Hastega + MAG/MND boost doesn't look like the worst thing in the world.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Just in case you think you don't want to do Barthandelus multiplayer apocalypse he wasn't that bad to solo it. I just got the mastery. I had Cleansing Strike and Ark Blast, instant KO resist accessories, wall, shellga, and Asylum RW. Hope brought in his BSB for the main damage. I just needed timing on his dispel and get my wall back up and Vessel of Fate. If you can mitigate him you can win, basically. I tried soloing the first two apocalypses and got my rear end whooped but this one wasn't bad at all. I had like 23 seconds left on the timer even.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

IllegallySober posted:

I was gonna say "swing and a miss" but a Hastega + MAG/MND boost doesn't look like the worst thing in the world.

Indeed; the other factor that this banner has is, outside of the upcoming summon nightmare, it's basically the last good Mage banner for months with three to four times he likelihood of getting a good offensive Mage item than most subsequent banners.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Seymour 1 in a couple weeks and Summoner Nightmare in a few days after that are both good mage banners but yeah. This banner had good consolation prizes (Canopus AMPs is also good, being a Shout-level boostga and magic blink; hastega is generally preferable but mblink is still very nice to have on your support).

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

YoshiOfYellow posted:

CM's suck when they're against bosses where you pretty much need a Wall to even stand a chance. It leaves you with no choice for your RW, so if you don't have at the very least a native Medica with the right synergy, there's no need to even bother. In Lightning's case, Hastega seems to be required too, seeing how fast she is and how much AoE she has.

I don't have any of that for XIII, or even a decent Burst, so I did a couple 11 draws and... I still don't. :cry: I got Fang's wind bracers at least, so there's yet another Wind warrior to pair up with Zidane...

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I blew U+ Lightning apart pretty fast. Then again, apparently my FF13 synergy is pretty good, I have Boon, Hope's OSB and his BSB, as well as an Imperil Holy from Cid.

I guess I'm in pretty good shape.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

IllegallySober posted:

You've got a phys boost+magic blink and a mage/healer boost+hastega there. Not a shabby pull at all.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Pretty much all I have for XIII synergy is Hope's OSB, Lightning's peacekeeper, Sazh's caltop gun thing, and vanille's oreba's boon staff. That said, if I go for a single pull on one of the two banners, which am I better off pulling from?

Generally I run physical teams but have been using mage teams lately here and there where applicable. Just mostly asking which of the two has the better spread of items. Seems like banner 2?

Not sure I"m convinced to pull on it at all but mostly just trying to get a barometer of which one if I do.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My 11-pull got me Snow's SSB. This game really wants me to keep using knights, it seems

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SuperHappy posted:

CM's suck when they're against bosses where you pretty much need a Wall to even stand a chance. It leaves you with no choice for your RW, so if you don't have at the very least a native Medica with the right synergy, there's no need to even bother. In Lightning's case, Hastega seems to be required too, seeing how fast she is and how much AoE she has.

I don't have any of that for XIII, or even a decent Burst, so I did a couple 11 draws and... I still don't. :cry: I got Fang's wind bracers at least, so there's yet another Wind warrior to pair up with Zidane...

You definitely don't need a native Medica - I beat Lightning without one. You can also use a White 3 character to set up Haste - Noel, Hope and Serah can all carry it. You probably will need a Wall without good synergy and maybe one of Vanille's Medicas, though.

Snow, Raines, Noel and Serah can all self-buff as well. Lightning's squishier than you might think.

U++ is a real slog, though. He's not that hard til he dips below 50% and then the 2k AoE physicals start coming.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I limped across the finish line against Barthandelus U+ solo, so I don't think I could do the Apocalpyse battle without help. Just really not good in the FF13 synergy department. Should probably pull more but... just not a big fan.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If I want mage stuff and I have 50 mythril should I do banner 2 or wait for Summon Nightmare

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lightning was rough for me because I hosed up and accidentally gave a frontliner mage armor, but I still barely managed the CM. Snow used Gaia Cross and Magic Lure with the 6* lightning resist accessory, and that helped immensely in mitigating the damage.

Ult++ was easy thanks to Lightning's SSB. She was dealing 40K per use.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zurai posted:

Alright alright alright, you convinced me to pull on this.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
11x pull

Lightning SB
Snow SSB
Snow SSB

Hope BSB!

I'm content.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok never mind I pulled, got CID's SSB. Not the worst mage item on the banner but would've liked a full party magic boost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Wow this apoc fight is kinda bullshit. Got him down to 25% health with everyone in top shape, then suddenly he decides to dispel and haste and spam humongous AoE 3 times in a row before anyone can get in action in at all. Literally killed half of the team from full health, not sure what exactly is supposed to be done about that?

• Locked thread