Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Uroboros posted:

Maybe time invested isn't the right choice of words, but more that it is highly detailed, and nothing about it looks half-assed. In fact, the people claiming that there is to much going on tend to confuse me, like what is so hard to take in? Aren't army centerpieces like this supposed to be a feast for the eyes?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my problem with the level of detail is that it prevents my brain from turning the model into something cohesive. It's very pretty, but it never really resolves into something whole. I love the little details, but I'd prefer that they pop out after focusing on the model, rather than demanding attention immediately.

This is all based off a single angle and a single paint job, so I don't want to be too down on the model! You're not a bad person for liking it. I think I just prefer the, by comparison, more muted 30k aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Those rainbow barf minis are awesome even though the style isnt really my cup of tea.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I wonder if this means we'll get new LoC rules to accompany the new model, similar to the new Bloodthirster. AoS is clearly getting them, but I wonder if this means we'll see them for 40k? If so, the timing is really off, given that we just got the campaign supplement with Tzeentchian daemons.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Geisladisk posted:

I am a traveler from a ancient land.

And it's not double venom cannon, it's venom cannon and barbed strangler.

This was the best choice. :cthulhu::hf::cthulhu: 4th Edition Tyranid were some good times.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I wonder if this means we'll get new LoC rules to accompany the new model, similar to the new Bloodthirster. AoS is clearly getting them, but I wonder if this means we'll see them for 40k? If so, the timing is really off, given that we just got the campaign supplement with Tzeentchian daemons.

I strongly doubt it. They specifically mention where the LoC rules can be found and mention the campaign books and the Thousand Sons codex for new Tzeentch spells and rules.

It could all be moot come the new addition, though!

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 10, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Saint Drogo posted:

Chapterhouse studios apparently didn't get sued into oblivion still sell their $40 model for it. It's very...Geiger.

The Chapterhouse guy went awol a while back, don't buy this unless you don't want your money.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Uroboros posted:

Glad to have both the IC and 40K Badcast now. My job can get pretty boring, so being able to burn most the shift away listening to people who are enthusiastic about the hobby chat away is nice. This is especially true since listening to audiobooks on politics and history is my usual thing, since I feel it is a good way to stay educated, has tended to get me down since the last election.

Thanks for listening man!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Uroboros posted:

There is nothing here that doesn't make you sound like a total twat. The only legitimate complaint raised is the difficulty of transport, this is otherwise a very nice looking model with a nice if not typical Tzeentch paint scheme.

Agreed. I guess it's just an aesthetic choice but I saw this model and it blew my mind. To say it's a "poo poo model" I feel is really just tainted with hate for GW. I cannot wait to see what people do with this.

Note that there are some legitimate, well thought out criticism of the model as well. But personally I love it!

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 10, 2017

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Short video about Inquisitor Greyfax, with some details about the 'Triumvirate of the Imperium' formation.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Uroboros posted:

Maybe time invested isn't the right choice of words, but more that it is highly detailed, and nothing about it looks half-assed. In fact, the people claiming that there is to much going on tend to confuse me, like what is so hard to take in? Aren't army centerpieces like this supposed to be a feast for the eyes?
For me it comes off as a fairly weak centerpiece because for all the detail it feels unfocused and a lot of those details do not drive home any artistic whole. It's like how in comics excessive crosshatching can clearly take a lot of effort, but still end up detracting from the overall work. It either needed to get reigned in or go whole hog on the 2000AD goofiness. Unfortunately neither happened and we have an okay but not fantastic model made in a way that at least appears to have taken a lot of effort. So like a lot of the CGI sets and aliens in the Star Wars prequels.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Saint Drogo posted:

Vaginid Pod

:stonk:

Huh. Maybe I will just convert my own.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Are you at all implying the old lord of change was easy to transport?

Considering it's like half the size of the upcoming plastic kit, yeah, probably.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Slimnoid posted:

Considering it's like half the size of the upcoming plastic kit, yeah, probably.

the old LoC was a nightmare to transport on its own, since it also had fully spread wings like that (and arms), and depending on when you bought yours, could be made entirely of metal. Comparably, metal/resin Kairos is much easier to transport as his wings are not full spread

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 10, 2017

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

the old LoC was a nightmare to transport on its own, since it also had fully spread wings like that (and arms), and depending on when you bought yours, could be made entirely of metal. Comparably, metal/resin Kairos is much easier to transport as his wings are full spread

I should've specified that while the old one is a nightmare to transport, it's less of one compared to the new one that's going to be like a foot tall at the minimum.

At least with the old metal LoC you could stuff it in a sock and smack the poo poo out of that one catpiss neckbeard telling WAAAGH every turn at full decibel volume.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slimnoid posted:

I should've specified that while the old one is a nightmare to transport, it's less of one compared to the new one that's going to be like a foot tall at the minimum.

At least with the old metal LoC you could stuff it in a sock and smack the poo poo out of that one catpiss neckbeard telling WAAAGH every turn at full decibel volume.

A sock full of space marine jet packs is better for that.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We all know the model of choice for sock-based melee combat is the old metal boxnaught.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

We all know the model of choice for sock-based melee combat is the old metal boxnaught.

I mean yeah, for maximum blunt damage the old dread works, but I prefer having a few spiky parts in it to make it more flail-like.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

I mean yeah, for maximum blunt damage the old dread works, but I prefer having a few spiky parts in it to make it more flail-like.

Old metal venerable dread, for spikes and style.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

Discerning hams looking to commit some assault with a deadly weapon look to the metal hellcannon from WHFB

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here are my hobby goals for 2017:

- Finish painting 2000 points of Mechanicum for Horus Heresy.
- Finish painting 2000 points of Bloodbound for Age of Sigmar.
- Finish painting 2000 points of Sigmarines for Age of Sigmar.
- Finish painting my realm board for Age of Sigmar.
- Finish my Knight house for 40k/30k.
- Make progress on my Ad Mech army for 40k.
- Have my Tau army finished by commission.
- Play more games of 30k, 40k, and AoS. Preferably at least one game of each a month.
- Finish painting my scourge for Dropzone.
- Finish painting my PHR for Dropfleet.
- Play more games of Dropzone and Dropfleet.

\m/

This is all doable, but I can't do it if I were to buy another army, so hopefully nothing exciting comes out for any game this year.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ghost Hand posted:

Agreed. I guess it's just an aesthetic choice but I saw this model and it blew my mind. To say it's a "poo poo model" I feel is really just tainted with hate for GW. I cannot wait to see what people do with this.

Note that there are some legitimate, well thought out criticism of the model as well. But personally I love it!

Just FYI, I think you'd have more fun in the 30k thread. The podcasts make it sound like you're working on your Black Legion stuff mostly but I still think you'd get a lot more joy reading that and not just this.

Ignore the last couple pages though.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 10, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Like Magnus, I don't mind too much how busy the model is, but it's stupid how BIG everything's getting. I don't play, but I do buy models just to paint, and that just seems like a nightmare.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Like Magnus, I don't mind too much how busy the model is, but it's stupid how BIG everything's getting. I don't play, but I do buy models just to paint, and that just seems like a nightmare.

Carnifexes used to be gigantic creatures. The biggest of the towering monsters.

These days the model is downright tiny. Like, why did the Toxicrene, Maleceptor, Exocrine and Haruspex all have to three times the mass of a Carnifex?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My biggest gripe with Magnus is his size. He should have been roughly twice as high as a Rubric marine imho.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endman posted:

My biggest gripe with Magnus is his size. He should have been roughly twice as high as a Rubric marine imho.

I always got the ffeling that Daemon Princes were pretty big

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Endman posted:

That's how big the Primarch models are already, and even pre-ascension, Magnus was supposed to be unusually big.

I don't usually enjoy painting big models and I wish there were fewer of them (or at least that GW would spend less bandwidth on them), but I'm okay with things like Magnus and Imperial Knights and Valkyries and Stompas being the sizes they are. I do really dislike when the big models are so sprawling and fragile that making one essentially requires its own shelf/case.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sulecrist posted:

That's how big the Primarch models are already, and even pre-ascension, Magnus was supposed to be unusually big.

I don't usually enjoy painting big models and I wish there were fewer of them (or at least that GW would spend less bandwidth on them), but I'm okay with things like Magnus and Imperial Knights and Valkyries and Stompas being the sizes they are. I do really dislike when the big models are so sprawling and fragile that making one essentially requires its own shelf/case.

Ahh, yeah. I forgot he was supposed to be bigger than the other Primarchs. Still, there's big and then there's that big.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I had an actual stress nightmare that I took on a commission to paint Magnus a few weeks ago. The new Lord of Change echoes that. I think it's a gorgeous model and the sculpting looks excellent, but I absolutely would not want to paint it. I can already feel that niggling feeling that I've missed a detail somewhere, and I need to turn over the model to find it.

I uploaded this the other day, but I've made another Army Overview video for my Camhammer channel, and this one's about my Iron Warriors. I figured it was the right time, what with all the Chaos goodness coming out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdO5oIwhOv0

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Endman posted:

Ahh, yeah. I forgot he was supposed to be bigger than the other Primarchs. Still, there's big and then there's that big.

He might be bigger than I realize. Even though I've seen those display-case photos with other models for scale, I have a hard time visualizing stuff with big protruding poo poo like those horns and wings.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

You chose... poorly.

These orcs are quite bright
They make me feel good inside
Sucks end times are near

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 10, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Stanyer89 posted:

These orcs are quite bright
They make me feel good inside
Sucks end times are near

Why does it suck, Orks might actually get good rules.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

SRM posted:

Why does it suck, Orks might actually get good rules.

It might suck because
Even with new Ork rules
They are not Marines

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Slimnoid posted:

Battlefleet Gothic Blackstone Fortress

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Sulecrist posted:

Just FYI, I think you'd have more fun in the 30k thread. The podcasts make it sound like you're working on your Black Legion stuff mostly but I still think you'd get a lot more joy reading that and not just this.

Ignore the last couple pages though.

I should hang out there as well. Thanks!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

GreenMarine posted:

Here are my hobby goals for 2017:

- Finish painting 2000 points of Mechanicum for Horus Heresy.
- Finish painting 2000 points of Bloodbound for Age of Sigmar.
- Finish painting 2000 points of Sigmarines for Age of Sigmar.
- Finish painting my realm board for Age of Sigmar.
- Finish my Knight house for 40k/30k.
- Make progress on my Ad Mech army for 40k.
- Have my Tau army finished by commission.
- Play more games of 30k, 40k, and AoS. Preferably at least one game of each a month.
- Finish painting my scourge for Dropzone.
- Finish painting my PHR for Dropfleet.
- Play more games of Dropzone and Dropfleet.

\m/

This is all doable, but I can't do it if I were to buy another army, so hopefully nothing exciting comes out for any game this year.

thats a badass list of goals. Here is mine copied and pasted from my show notes:

- Get Thousand Sons fully painted and on the tabletop by end of Q1
- Get Black Legion fully painted and on the tabletop by end of Q1
- Finish painting (or get painted) Reaver Titan prior to Adepticon
- Expand 40k Deathguard Army in Q2
- Finish painting Black Legion Thunderhawk in Q2
- Get Zone Mortalis Board completely painted by end of Q2 (finally!)
- Create one new Segment for The ICs each quarter
- Beginning in Q3 expand each army (Thousand Sons, Death Guard, Black Legion, and Ultramarines) by one unit each quarter. (fully painted)

I dont mention in there that I am about to base my AoS army. And I want to get some games in with that as well as get my Achtung Cthulhu skirmish game minis painted up.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 10, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ghost Hand posted:

jfc Or you know it could be that people just have different opinions on things?

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
I've got a 1500pt tourney coming up in a couple of weeks.
Do I be a dick, and bring 3 Knights and 2 Techpriests with Servitors, or take a mechanized Inquisition army with Land Raiders and Chimeras?
I know I will be facing at one Thousand Sons player.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

ToyotaThong posted:

I've got a 1500pt tourney coming up in a couple of weeks.
Do I be a dick, and bring 3 Knights and 2 Techpriests with Servitors, or take a mechanized Inquisition army with Land Raiders and Chimeras?
I know I will be facing at one Thousand Sons player.

Is it a competitive tournament? Does everyone playing know it's a competitive tournament? Do you want to be known as 'That Guy'? How are you going to control objectives?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Was there a goon that was doing Youtube videos of every single 40K video game?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Any ideas where this wrist bolter is from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sulecrist posted:

I'm also more okay with something being fuckoff huge when you can only have one of them like Magnus.

When a Tau player drops 3 of those fuckoff huge suits on the table its just like, goddamn. Are we even playing the same game?

I guess you could have multiple of those daemons of change too, although it wouldn't make sense unless at a ridiculously high point value I'd think.

Next GW will put out a formation that lets you take 3 Magnuses to boost sales. :v:

• Locked thread